The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 08-15-2017, 11:17 AM   #401
TMNT_Guy
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
So the leading theory for the PC delay of Mania is DRM.
A theory that doesn't have any evidence of being true. It all started when lead developer of Sonic Mania, Christian "The Taxman" Whitehead, tweeted this:
Quote:
Man, can you imagine if we had to put DRM in DNA? What a world that'd be.
Many thought he was hinting at DRM in Sonic Mana, but in actuality he was referring to this article: "Biohackers Encoded Malware in a Strand of DNA"

The official reason for the delay is "optimization" reasons and so far that may be the case. The console releases so far have a few bugs and glitches(Taxman himself said his team are working to fix them) and just a day or two a go the Sonic Mania Steam page updated it's controller support from "Partial" to "Full". So basically we have no idea why the PC release is being delayed. I don't think it's DRM since none of the other Sonic games on Steam have DRM on them...unless you count Steam itself as DRM.

The delay does stink, I preordered the PC Collectors Edition, so even though that really cool statue is being delivered today, I won't actually get to play the game for another 14 days. I'm doing all I can to avoid spoilers until then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl316bh View Post
You mean the cell phone version, right?

If I remember right, those never landing anywhere else is down to the Nintendo exclusivity deal at the time. There's been talk that they wanted to bring them to Steam and the like before, but nothing's come of it yet. Hopefully, we'll get it at some point.
I don't think it has anything to do with the Nintendo exclusivity and more to do with Sega not caring about the mobile remakes. For one thing these versions were never released on a Nintendo consoles and second of all Sonic Lost Word, a Wii U exclusive that was part of the exclusivity deal, is now availabe on Steam. "But then why did the Sonic CD remake get on Steam?" The whole reason the Sonic CD remake exists at all is because Sega had difficulty emulating the Sega CD version, which is why the glitchy port in Sonic Gems Collection was the old PC version. The remake also conveniently allowed them to tie it in with the release of Sonic 4 Episode 2 (CONTINUE THE ADVENTURE WITH SONIC 4 AVAILABLE NOW) that just so happened to have Metal Sonic in it. I guess it's less of a hassle for them to just keep the emulated versions on Steam then it is to pay someone to optimize the remakes for Steam.

To further prove that Sega doesn't care about the remakes and to bring the discussion back to Sonic Mania: Sonic Mania was originally pitched as a remake of Sonic 3 & Knuckles just like how Sonic 1,2 and CD were done, but rejected by the lead of Sonic Team, Takashi Iizuka, because he thought the classic games had "enough" releases.
Source:https://twitter.com/SonicJPNews/stat...10193880616965
Old Today, 01:24 AM   #402
Ninjinister
Don't break the law

Haven't bought Sonic Mania yet and probably won't for a while, if at all, but I did watch a boss run and damn, those are the most inventive and clever bosses the series has ever had!

I make terrible video games. Please buy them.
Ninjinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:32 AM   #403
sdp
Post-Dream-Pop

I'll probably get sonicmania when it's cheap on Steam, I can play the waiting game. I bought all of Sonic's PC games for like $60 and got an awesome subtle classic sonic shirt with it, without the shirt it was like only $20 or something like that.

Now that SonicMania is a hit and got people excited about Sonic and people keep asking we might end up seeing the taxman mobile ports of Sonic 1 and 2 on PC, hell they might remake Sonic 3&K and release them as a "trilogy remastered" pack or whatever. I don't think it's so out of the question, especially now that classic sonic is "cool" again.

In general I want more Sonic PC ports: Heroes, Shadow, 06, Unleashed, Colors. I mean Colors is considered one of the best and heroes/unleashed have a lot of nostalgia nowadays to get them done. I personally love Shadow and it'd be awful to just leave 06 out. Ports of the GameGear games should be really easy as well and Sega loves easy ports and why not Knuckles Chaotix, it's the only missing "sonic" game for Genesis even if it's 32x. No reason not to port the Advance and DS games as well. But enough with my wishlist.
sdp is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
sega, sonic