The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 12-18-2005, 05:04 PM   #1
cyberfox007
Thug

Nintendo used to be something...not anymore

Hello all!

Back in a time where you and i were younger, i was nothing short of a nintendo fan boy up untill 2001 that was when i switched camps to PlayStation and with out knowing it i seem to make a good choise coz frankly i think the big N aint' what it used to be.

And i have my reasons too, currently i find that nintendo has totaly lost its way in how it does things for example hey are letting other dev companies make thier reconized products (ex.:F-Zero GX was devolped by sega) there was a time were a nintendo game was done by EAD or come other in-house dev group its all "outsouced" to other comanies that nintendo wants to "buddy up" too such as Namco, Konami and so forth. another thing is that nintendo klings too much to the "old days of gameing" the icon of Mario is so over used with all the spots games he is in i see this as a disgrase to such an iconic figure. i see this as a sign of weekness and just gonns be a slow progression

To all the Nintendo fans out ther this is in no way a verbal bashing tword your beloved copmany, i totaly respect nintendo and its contributions to the industry but i just forsee that things if dont rule out for them in the next ten years well lets just say they will do what thier formal rival Sega did in 2002

Thats my 2 cents, now spend it
Old 12-18-2005, 05:13 PM   #2
Dr. Doom
Allons-y!

Due solely to their domination of the handheld market, Nintendo's not going anywhere soon. Even if the Revolution is a spectacular failure, they still have GBA and DS keeping them alive.
Old 12-18-2005, 05:33 PM   #3
Star Wolf
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberfox007
Hello all!

Back in a time where you and i were younger, i was nothing short of a nintendo fan boy up untill 2001 that was when i switched camps to PlayStation and with out knowing it i seem to make a good choise coz frankly i think the big N aint' what it used to be.

And i have my reasons too, currently i find that nintendo has totaly lost its way in how it does things for example hey are letting other dev companies make thier reconized products (ex.:F-Zero GX was devolped by sega) there was a time were a nintendo game was done by EAD or come other in-house dev group its all "outsouced" to other comanies that nintendo wants to "buddy up" too such as Namco, Konami and so forth. another thing is that nintendo klings too much to the "old days of gameing" the icon of Mario is so over used with all the spots games he is in i see this as a disgrase to such an iconic figure. i see this as a sign of weekness and just gonns be a slow progression

To all the Nintendo fans out ther this is in no way a verbal bashing tword your beloved copmany, i totaly respect nintendo and its contributions to the industry but i just forsee that things if dont rule out for them in the next ten years well lets just say they will do what thier formal rival Sega did in 2002

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Fox McCloud: Jeez! Can anyone take care of it?

Wolf O' Donnel: Can’t let you do that, Star Fox!

Leon Powalski: Andross has ordered us to take you down.

Pigma Dengar: Peppy, long time no see!

Andrew Oikonny: Andross’s enemy is my enemy!

Fox McCloud: Just who I wanted to see...Star Wolf...

Nintendo 64 - Star Fox 64 (1997)
Star Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 05:39 PM   #4
Spitfire
Writer • Director

The Revolution is going to stomp Sony and Microsoft this next gen. I'm not just some fanboy saying this. I really believe it will. Nintendo is making some bold moves that I believe will push it ahead of the others.
Old 12-18-2005, 06:17 PM   #5
ThirdMarioBro
Tea Time!

Quote:
Hello all!

Okay, well first, have you ever actually played F-Zero GX? It blew the sh*t out of every game before it. Nintend outsourcing is wrong? Sony has no internal groups. Neither does Microsoft. They have wholly owned studios or partnership second parties, but none in house. EAD cranks out just as many games as they did in the old days...maybe more, but you can't rely on one studio for your library. They did that in the N64 age, and it just wasn't enough. You gotta have variety. That's why they partner up with other developers. More games = good.

Without those partnerships, there'd be no Metroid Prime, which is game of the generation thus far in my opinion. Giest didn't work out. Metroid Prime did. Different risks pay off at different times. You gotta take the chance. Mario Sunshine was weak because it was a training project from a new studio in training that EAD finished. Some of the Mario Sports games work out, some don't, but they've been around longer than you think. It's just nobody paid any attention to them in the old days. Mario Golf came out on the NES, and there was a Mario Baseball game on Game Boy. The others showed up on N64, and nobody bitched then.

Nintendo didn't do much this generation because they were going with the flow of things. Nintendo susceeds when they try something new to set themselves apart. That's what they're doing now, and I believe they will susceed as a result. Maybe not in first place, but they will make a sh1tload of money. That was Sega's weakness. They'd still be around today if they had managed their affairs better. They were in debt, made a bunch of expensive and sh1tty systems, and drove up developers while killing their 16-bit money maker early, then selling rights off to Majesco. That's why Sega kicked. They killed themselves. Nintendo was the only game hardware manufacturer this whole year to post a good profit.

They're fine. Better than they've been in some time actually. yeah, they've pissed me off several times in the past. Dig in the Nintendo thread for some recent ones, but they're not going anywhere. They make money...tons of it, enjoy what they do, and have an unshakeable fanbase, but the most affordable system next gen with new advertising departments.

Nintendo's fine, and all this "Nintend0 is teh d00merz!1!" will go away at E3.
Old 12-18-2005, 06:21 PM   #6
SlayerX
Stone Warrior

Hmm lets see:

PS2 beating Gamecube = Possibility
DS beating PSP = Definitely

I'd say it's a 50/50 market between Sony and Nintendo right now. Microsoft... eh... they got a jump on the market with the 360, but remember the saying "Save the best for last". Revolution and PS3 are both gonna rock the Microsoft Xbox 360, and as for winner between Revolution and PS3 for nex-gen consoles: Nintendo for sure at the beginning.

Sony may make a comeback, but that can't be judged now, as we have limited knowledge over the nex-gen market right now.

I myself think that Nintendo will be running the nex-gen market more than PS3/360.

Just my opinions though.
SlayerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 09:48 PM   #7
Buslady
WingsOfDarkness! Perkele!

Nintendo's been on top of the game for a long time, I still believe in their product. I dont care for this tacky 360' people camp out to get, I heard it's overheating and crashing...that's Microshaft for ya.

Never have I had ANY Nintendo system crash, die, burn,etc on me. ALL of my Gameboys still operate like new. Well, except the old clear one that my son destroyed when he was 1...it will not survive milk from baby bottles.

I think the best thing out is the DS...I was not so sure at first but I love it. There's alot of interaction in TMNT3...it's simple stuff but lotta fun for me. I'm not a heavy gamer but I really dig my DS.

Nintendo's been around since the late 1800s, it's not going anywhere
Old 12-18-2005, 10:34 PM   #8
Kid Icarus
Foot Elite

Quote:
Hello all!

Camps? Huh? And who's to say you can't have both? Hm? I thought Playstation was all about being edgy and trend setting, and giving the finger to the 'man'?

Quote:
Nintendo did this to get third parties to work with them. Hiroshi Yamauchi was a bastard. Brilliant, but he didn't understand how the market model he created was shifting away from first parties holding the key titles to third parties being the power cards. And Fzero GX? Brilliant. Link in SC2? Made the game sell more then it's PS2 and Xbox counterparts combined.

And yes, Mario is way too over used now... not that he wasn't in the past. But Mario is still the foremost videogame icon ever, with Sonic being a close second. If you see an red hat with an M on it, you think Mario... if you see Master Chiefs helmet... it might take you a while to pin point it.

Nintendo still has the best development house around. If you've never read up on Miyamotos development theories, do yourself a favor and do... that man puts more thought into his games (read: games, not stories or graphics) then anyone else in the industry. He's responsible for ushering in the Dpad, the (proper) Analog stick, force feed back... his name's on damn near 90% of anything groundbreaking in gaming (CD's go to SEGA, and actuall games go to Nolan Bushnell, and memory cards go to SEGA as well) And we can't forget Gunpi Yokoi, the guy who made the Dpad, controll pad, Game and Watch, Game Boy, Virtual Boy, and Metroid. It's a damn shame he's not alive today.

Quote:

Actually, Nintendo will leave the industry before they stop making home consoles. See, Japanese companies are insane. No matter how much money Nintendo would make as a third party (i feel they'd dwarf EA, easily), they won't. They're too proud, and for damn good reasons. No other company in the industry can tout the sheer number of hits they have *constantly*. No other company has nearly as many icons under their belt.
Kid Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 06:41 PM   #9
Deathknight
Mad Scientist

Nintendo is still a great company and won't die out anytime soon. Though I will admit I did like the original Playstation over N64, Gamecube owns PS2.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:50 PM   #10
Peanut
Second Gear

Nintendo DS. End of story.
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 08:33 PM   #11
Deathknight
Mad Scientist

Yeah, I use my DS for games and PSP for emulation. Though my DS suffered an unfortunate incident and now has a non working bottom screen.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:57 PM   #12
Kid Icarus
Foot Elite

Send it to Nintendo. They've already said they'll fix broken touch screens.

You don't have a DS if your touch screen doesn't work, you have a fancy GBA.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:04 AM   #13
Deathknight
Mad Scientist

Yeah, they said the charge is $80 not including shipping. Though what I find extremely humorous is the touch functions still work 100%... there's just no display.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:56 PM   #14
ThirdMarioBro
Tea Time!

The Touch screen panel and the LCD are actually two different parts rather than one screen, so I guess that would make sense. Odd though, because the LCD is underneath the touch panel.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:11 PM   #15
Deathknight
Mad Scientist

Indeed, when I get around to it, I'm sending to for repairs to this guy on ebay. Gonna cost me about $50. Can't wait to play Mario Kart DS again.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:51 PM   #16
CookSux
Stone Warrior

I also saw a sales report stating that the GC has been selling amazingly compared to the PS2 and XBox for the last several years. Kudos to them for actually profitting from their machine.
CookSux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 03:37 AM   #17
ThirdMarioBro
Tea Time!

Link please?
Old 12-23-2005, 09:22 AM   #18
Kid Icarus
Foot Elite

TMB, I think he was talking about the money Nintendo makes on each Gamecube sale over the money Sony and MS loose on each of their systems sold.

Nintendo has *never* lost money on a console.
Old 12-23-2005, 02:26 PM   #19
ThirdMarioBro
Tea Time!

Ah yes, true that.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:55 PM   #20
Deathknight
Mad Scientist

Not even Virtual Boy?