The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 06-26-2014, 07:02 AM   #1
jdangerc
Thug

Question TMNT Original BLIMP question.

I am thinking about getting an original TMNT Blimp. But would like to know if there is some kind of hook device to where you can hang it? I wouldnt know how to display it otherwise. Any blimp owners out there who can help?
jdangerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 07:09 AM   #2
DonatelloFan1984
Hench Mutant

I have also been trying to find a way to hang mine without damaging it. I am going to a model plane hobby store hopefully today. They sell a special wire and hooks you can put into your ceiling and hang your planes. I am sure something like that will work for the blimp. I will take pics once I get it hung.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:21 AM   #3
tmntman
Mad Scientist

There is no means of hanging the blimp provided with it. I used to have both the original and blimp II hung from my ceiling. I used fishing line. I made a large loop which I put around the blimp right above the wings of the glider. I then took a second piece of string coming off the first and running back to the top tail fin in the back. By adjusting the length of that line you could adjust the angle at which the blimp hung.

Check out my site at http://www.tmnttoys.com/
or follow me on Twitter, @TMNTtoys
tmntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 09:55 AM   #4
DonatelloFan1984
Hench Mutant

That is pretty much what the plane hobby store said. Except they use nylon string instead of fishing and plastic tubing the string goes through to prevent damaging the plastic. I will hopefully get mine hung later today.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:15 AM   #5
tmntman
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonatelloFan1984 View Post
That is pretty much what the plane hobby store said. Except they use nylon string instead of fishing and plastic tubing the string goes through to prevent damaging the plastic. I will hopefully get mine hung later today.
I was working with what I had on hand and with no budget (this was back when I was in college) But I had both of mine hung that way for a long time with no issues.

Check out my site at http://www.tmnttoys.com/
or follow me on Twitter, @TMNTtoys
tmntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 12:14 PM   #6
DonatelloFan1984
Hench Mutant

The guy at the hobby store seemed overly concerned about condition. Not necessarily a bad thing. I also feel the model planes are made out of a more brittle material. Hence using more expensive materials and being overly cautious about hanging them. I am sure for this application the fishing line wouldn't hurt a thing. I was already there however so I just bought what he sold. I had to drive 25 minutes one way out of town to get there so I figured why not.
Old 06-26-2014, 04:16 PM   #7
shady060805
Random Punk

I stuffed mine and hung it with fishing line around the glider.
shady060805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 10:21 PM   #8
billbot85
Mad Scientist

This is all good advice to keep in mind. I was thinking of hanging up my Turtle Blimp II as well.

GIFSoup
billbot85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 11:02 PM   #9
dizcoduck
Thug

Wow I never knew there were 2 different blimps. I remember as a kid we had to exchange mine because it wouldn't keep air, but that was it. I still have it too boxed up with my other original vehicles. I guess I had the original and never thought anything else about it.
dizcoduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 05:29 PM   #10
inaheap
Mad Scientist

I know this an old thread. I am thinking of hanging my blimp in this manner. I was wondering if anyone has had issues with it deflating over time while hung. Is it hard to get it down to add air. Mine deflates in about every couple weeks. Is that normal? Also how are you attaching it to the ceiling? Thanks.

We do not stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing

When I became an adult I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.
inaheap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 06:41 PM   #11
xZAOx
Stone Warrior

Nope, mine's been hanging for a few years now. And I last inflated it...geez, 10 years ago?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200412_193944.jpg (94.5 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200412_193955.jpg (80.9 KB, 24 views)
xZAOx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 09:55 PM   #12
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by inaheap View Post
I know this an old thread. I am thinking of hanging my blimp in this manner. I was wondering if anyone has had issues with it deflating over time while hung. Is it hard to get it down to add air. Mine deflates in about every couple weeks. Is that normal? Also how are you attaching it to the ceiling? Thanks.
Hey man, submerge it in water & look for bubbles. That'll be your leak spot.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 02:45 PM   #13
useasneeded4pain
Foot Soldier

Quote:
I've read some folks filling the Blimp with small styrofoam beads, rather than air. The type you'd put in a pillow or bean bag chair. While I haven't tried it, it sounds like a solid alternative for longer have to worry about filling it with air/leaks.
useasneeded4pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 09:45 PM   #14
Tmnt3535
Mouser

I would put some soap and water into a bottle and mix that up. Air up your blimp and spray it down, then look for bubbles. That's how you can find your leak without completely submerging it. Then you can identify where you need to put a patch.

Last edited by Tmnt3535; 04-13-2020 at 09:55 PM.
Tmnt3535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 08:10 PM   #15
inaheap
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmnt3535 View Post
I would put some soap and water into a bottle and mix that up. Air up your blimp and spray it down, then look for bubbles. That's how you can find your leak without completely submerging it. Then you can identify where you need to put a patch.
I'm going to try this. I'd rather not have to find a place to submerge the blimp. How are you all hanging it? I want to hang it so it looks like it is fling.

When I became an adult I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.
Old 04-28-2020, 07:38 PM   #16
inaheap
Mad Scientist

I got it hung. I tried soapy water, but still can't find a leak. For now I'm just going to keep adding air.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC06424.jpg (93.6 KB, 21 views)

Old 04-28-2020, 10:48 PM   #17
Shogun26
Mad Scientist

Quote:
I got it hung. I tried soapy water, but still can't find a leak. For now I'm just going to keep adding air.
Looks great! I used to have those the glow n the dark stars too.
Shogun26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 05:56 PM   #18
inaheap
Mad Scientist

Thanks. My Dad put those up years ago. Now that he's gone they're kinda special.