The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 09-04-2018, 01:30 AM   #1
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Adventure Time Finale

Did'nt see it, but apparently (and in timely fashion) they decided to make a popular fan 'ship canon

Spoiler:
Marceline and Princess Bubblegum
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 12:07 PM   #2
CyberCubed
Overlord

Spoilers for anyone who cares:

Finally, lesbians in children's cartoons. First Legend of Korra, and now this. What a time to be alive.

Now we just need Elsa to do this in Frozen 2.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 12:45 PM   #3
neatoman
Emperor

M'kay. A lot of things happened in the finale, the the two seconds of a demonic vampire and a radioactive wad of bubblegum hooking up wasn't exactly the focus, it's one of the least important things that happens to be honest. Not that I don't why that's the part people keep bringing up, it just kind of feels like people are ignoring the actual story in favor of a brief moment.

I mean, a giant war is prevented and a demon comes down and wrecks everything anyway. Don't you think there's more to talk about?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 02:25 PM   #4
sdp
-

I never got into Adventure Time since it just didn't appeal to me, isn't it mostly for little kids and stoners?

Now I'm a fan of animation but I'm aware I'm watching shows where the target audience is kids no matter how many references they throw at their adult viewers.

I don't know how I feel a little kids cartoon having an outright lesbian kiss, if it's hinted through out the show but is never explicit, it doesn't matter but what exactly is the purpose of this? Now, I don't want this censored and in a way it's pretty cool but I don't think it's necessarily appropriate.

How did Korra handle the lesbian relationship? I haven't watched it but at least that show aired at an older demographic like 10 year olds which at least can have an understanding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
M'kay. A lot of things happened in the finale,
It's a lesbian kiss in a little kids cartoon, I don't think any epic battle was going to outstage this.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 06:51 PM   #5
CyberCubed
Overlord

Legend of Korra never had a kiss, and the whole romance was subtle and pretty much rushed into the last minutes of the last episode.

Korra had boyfriends for the first few years of the show, the writers didn't decide to make her lesbian till the tail-end of the series.
Old 09-04-2018, 09:39 PM   #6
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

It had been hinted at for a long time that Bonnie and Marceline had been a couple that had broken up. But, at the time, they weren't allowed to show it until recently. Sure it was a ship, but it's not a stretch to say that they had previously been together. It was more of a "rooting to get back together a second time" kind of ship.

ANYWAY, as someone who had been watching the show, I thought it was a pretty sweet ending. I would have liked for Betty and Simon to finally reunite after all these years, but alas, it did not happen.

What I did like was the continued glimpse into the future that had been spread out through the show (and STILL didn't explain the Guardians walking around).

I really liked Shermy and Beth the Pup Princess as the "heirs" of the Fern Sword after thousands of years; it was a sweet way to carry on the legacy. Especially with Beth more than likely being Jake's great-great-great-great granddaughter or however far that would go.

And also Sweet Pea being an explorer in his own right with that demon sword that showed up a while back. Interesting place to end up for his legacy having once been the Lich.
Old 09-04-2018, 11:08 PM   #7
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
I never got into Adventure Time since it just didn't appeal to me, isn't it mostly for little kids and stoners?

Now I'm a fan of animation but I'm aware I'm watching shows where the target audience is kids no matter how many references they throw at their adult viewers.

I don't know how I feel a little kids cartoon having an outright lesbian kiss, if it's hinted through out the show but is never explicit, it doesn't matter but what exactly is the purpose of this? Now, I don't want this censored and in a way it's pretty cool but I don't think it's necessarily appropriate.

How did Korra handle the lesbian relationship? I haven't watched it but at least that show aired at an older demographic like 10 year olds which at least can have an understanding.

It's a lesbian kiss in a little kids cartoon, I don't think any epic battle was going to outstage this.
The sooner kids learn that gay and lesbians exist, the better. It shouldn't be considered as anything different or 'gross' as when they see their own parents kiss or when any straight couple kiss.

That line of thinking needs to stop. Kids being shielded from it or taught it's weird, gross or wrong, or whatever nonsense is what leads to so many of them to grow up to become homophobic bigots later in life.

I'm seeing this little trend of controversial pairing always being saved til the end to avoid major controversy cause the show is over and you're not going to see them be lovey dovey towards each other for another season's worth of episodes. That's kinda why I see they saved Korra and the Marceline/Bubblegum thing til the last episode cause at that point that's it and they won't have to expand on it.

I see a similar case in that music video in which April pulled Don in for a kiss, which was more explicit than the one in the Big Foot episode where naysayers can still argue it was on the cheek since the camera angle wasn't clear enough. Sure the video was noncanon, but April wasn't kissing Leo or Raph. Again, a music video near the end of the series, in which the final episodes don't even deal with April anyways due to the post-apocalyptic future deal, so they got away with showing it, without having to expand on it.

I think the only example we got was when KP originally ended with Kim kissing Ron and that's the end... but then they got another season so we actually got to see them as a couple. I get the feeling had Kim and Bonnie gotten together, there wouldn't have been another season to elaborate.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 04:20 AM   #8
Allio
Foot Elite

Never really got into Adventure Time aside from a couple of episodes here and there...so....neat
Old 09-05-2018, 05:05 AM   #9
Powder
So tired of this place

I found it to be a perfect ending.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 06:48 AM   #10
ZariusTwo
Overlord

I've never actually seen one episode outside of the pitch pilot, but I did follow it's progress on wikis and Youtube clips
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 06:50 AM   #11
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

It's really interesting to see how much it changes even from the first season. Kind of like the show "grows up" with Finn as he learns that his problems can't be solved by punching things and being a complete goofball.
Old 09-05-2018, 10:39 AM   #12
CyberCubed
Overlord

To be honest I have no idea to this day what this show even is.
Old 09-05-2018, 11:08 AM   #13
Allio
Foot Elite

Shame though that Mysticon’s recent(ish) skipped out on its lesbian kiss
Allio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 04:38 PM   #14
neatoman
Emperor

Censorship
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 09:19 PM   #15
CyberCubed
Overlord

They cut out the lesbian kiss? What.

Why live. Lesbians in cartoons is what I live for.
Old 12-23-2018, 09:30 PM   #16
sdp
-

Will Korean Netflix censor the Voltron finale?
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 12:37 AM   #17
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Will Korean Netflix censor the Voltron finale?
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/BoP3uWDiS20/hqdefault.jpg
I had no idea this happened, there are gay couples in children's cartoons now? Yes I know this is on netflix but it's still a western developed show based on Voltron, right?

Wow, I remember back in the early 2000's seeing two people of the same gender kiss even in adult live-action shows was a shock. Remember in the 2004 MTV music awards how people had mental breakdowns over Madonna kissing Britney Spears?

Even in Buffy the Vampire Slayer I remember Willow/Tara being very controversial at the time, and Buffy was a huge show aimed at teens/adults. Or even Dax's lesbian kiss on Star Trek Deep Space Nine.

Times really do change. It's so different for those of us who grew up in the 80's and 90's and early 2000's. I never thought I'd see the day.