The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > 4Kids TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you think the 2003 series is under-appreciated?
Yes, I do think its under-appreciated 107 88.43%
No, it has enough credit/meh I dont care for it 14 11.57%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-02-2017, 12:54 AM   #201
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
It's not really forgotten, the 2k3 series is all up on youtube with millions of viewers per episode. Funny how Nick doesn't take those eps down even though its copyright infringement.
That is indeed perplexing, since Viacom and YouTube have some legal dispute history between each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Those who liked it remember it, but it wasn't a big deal for casuals.
It was one of those tv shows that was somewhat well-known when it was airing, mainly in its first 2-3 seasons, but has been forgotten since then. Nick's being more successful than it also didn't help keep the general audience's memories of it fresh either.

I've met tons of people who have no idea there was a 2k3 TMNT cartoon... tbh I've also met some who didn't know of the Nick series, but they were people in their 20s who don't pay attention to morning cartoons anymore so that might be it. I mean, if you asked me what the latest batman and Spider_Man cartoons were I wouldn't know either, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're irrelevant. I just don't pay attention to them.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 04:04 AM   #202
Bravotello
Foot Soldier

Huh that's nice! As for where I heard it, it was on a Tumblr blog so it's not the best source honestly? I can still show you guys if you want, though! I'm happy to know that, though!

I still wonder why it doesn't get more attention. It has all the marks of one of those "Nostalgic shows that still are amazing" sort of show. I've seen older ones then that still fawned over. Hmm maybe because it's from 4kids and 4kids has a bad rap? Ruining anime and the like? One would think the fact that the whole thing is on Youtube would only make it more popular though, right? I mean anyone can run into it pretty easily.
Bravotello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 10:10 AM   #203
Powder
So tired of this place

It's hit or miss for Mirage fans 'cause it kinda butchers the source material & becomes very toyetic, whereas for OT fans it doesn't have any of the wacky mutants or meta humor. + when it came out, many of the first wave fans were of an age to either feel too old for it or had a nostalgia bias. So for a lot of people it didn't quite hit the mark. It seems like the new turtle fans, younger kids/teens who came on the boat with the Nick series, are more receptive to it, which is nice.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 10:55 AM   #204
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
It's hit or miss for Mirage fans 'cause it kinda butchers the source material & becomes very toyetic, whereas for OT fans it doesn't have any of the wacky mutants or meta humor. + when it came out, many of the first wave fans were of an age to either feel too old for it or had a nostalgia bias. So for a lot of people it didn't quite hit the mark. It seems like the new turtle fans, younger kids/teens who came on the boat with the Nick series, are more receptive to it, which is nice.
My brother is from the FW series and the peak of Turtlemania generation. he couldn't get into the 2k3 show because it was too different from the Turtles he grew up with and also because "why don't they have pupils, are they blind or something?"

Tbh the 2k3 series was a bit risky. It wasn't a remake but a quite different version from the Turtles that were popular and well known to the general audience. It's like it wanted to appeal to both the kids of the time and to some of the more hardcore TMNT fans(people aware of Mirage, etc).

I was surprised the cartoon lasted so long. I expected season 2 or 3 to be the final seasons when they were announced.
Old 12-02-2017, 11:28 AM   #205
CyberCubed
Overlord

I was only 16 when the 2k3 series started, so the series felt like it was aimed at me. A teenager who wanted a dark cartoon and had grown up from the original cartoon era. I loved it as it felt like the "Batman: TAS" of TMNT cartoons, and of course being a huge TMNT fan in general I was beyond shocked and excited Turtles had come back with a new cartoon in general because nobody expected it.

They did well mixing new concepts with old, and came up with a lot of new ideas. Some of the fillers could be "dull" but I guess no worse than the fillers/throwaway eps in the original cartoon or Nick show, so it doesn't matter. I also really liked how they constantly built up all the villains and things really take off in Seasons 3 and 4 especially.

I also like both Season 5 and Fast Forward almost equally. I wish the animation didn't change in the last two seasons, but I enjoyed them for different reasons. The final season BTTS is the weakest one, but even then there's still around 7 episodes of it I really like.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 12:25 PM   #206
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
I was only 16 when the 2k3 series started, so the series felt like it was aimed at me. A teenager who wanted a dark cartoon and had grown up from the original cartoon era. I loved it as it felt like the "Batman: TAS" of TMNT cartoons, and of course being a huge TMNT fan in general I was beyond shocked and excited Turtles had come back with a new cartoon in general because nobody expected it.

They did well mixing new concepts with old, and came up with a lot of new ideas. Some of the fillers could be "dull" but I guess no worse than the fillers/throwaway eps in the original cartoon or Nick show, so it doesn't matter. I also really liked how they constantly built up all the villains and things really take off in Seasons 3 and 4 especially.

I also like both Season 5 and Fast Forward almost equally. I wish the animation didn't change in the last two seasons, but I enjoyed them for different reasons. The final season BTTS is the weakest one, but even then there's still around 7 episodes of it I really like.
I was 12-13 the first time I watched the 2k3 series. By then I was already sorta outgrowing the FW series and disappointed at its lack of action after its early episodes, so I felt like the 2k3 series was a sign of the Turtles growing with me.... sure it was still a kids' show and all, but it definitely felt more suited for my age bracket at the time than the FW series did at that point.
Old 12-02-2017, 02:12 PM   #207
Bravotello
Foot Soldier

I started watching 2003 later on when the lost episode thing started. Though I got the DVDs of the first season at a blockbuster when I was about 8? Maybe 7? Loved it a lot!
Bravotello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 04:01 PM   #208
ABrown
Banned

Quote:
Unfortunately, while the 4Kids series was probably the TMNT cartoon most similar to Batman: The Animated Series, (popularity wise) the original TMNT cartoon is the one that society will pair with Batman: TAS.
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 06:31 PM   #209
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrown View Post
Unfortunately, while the 4Kids series was probably the TMNT cartoon most similar to Batman: The Animated Series, (popularity wise) the original TMNT cartoon is the one that society will pair with Batman: TAS.
While the original toon is the most well known, it's like how Adam West Batman was incredibly popular.

B:TAS is the most popular Batman incarnation, but in terms of tone 2k3 is most similar.

Nick TMNT is similar to 2003 Teen Titans or more modern superhero cartoons that aren't too serious but not completely silly either.
Old 12-03-2017, 04:21 AM   #210
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Nick TMNT is similar to 2003 Teen Titans
It's destined to have a low budget parody of it end up far more successful?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 08:55 AM   #211
ABrown
Banned

Quote:
Nick TMNT is similar to 2003 Teen Titans or more modern superhero cartoons that aren't too serious but not completely silly either.
Nick's TMNT series really was very similar to the original Teen Titans cartoon. Except that Teen Titans did it much better.
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 11:17 AM   #212
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Nick's TMNT series really was very similar to the original Teen Titans cartoon. Except that Teen Titans did it much better.
It's almost exactly the same in humor and tone, because Ciro Nieli handled both. Slade and Shredder are handled similarly, and the Teen Titans and Turtles both had similar comedic/crazy episodes, but also very serious and action driven episodes.

The only difference is Teen Titans was only 65 episodes while Nick TMNT was 124, so obviously TMNT had a lot more extra time for fillers and adventures.
Old 12-03-2017, 11:23 AM   #213
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
I don't know about that. The problem is Teen Titans had very High Highs and Very Low Lowes. Basically when Teen Titans are good they very good and their bad is extremely bad......
TMNT felt more even keeled.
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 02:06 PM   #214
BartAllen
Banned

The show is definitely underappreciated. I'm currently making my way through the show for the third time. Beside the original Mirage comics, this is the only show I can sit through from beginning to end. Even the less than stellar stuff that came during the later seasons is enjoyable.

I even like the turtles forever movie (Was that special as divisive on this board?).
BartAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 02:22 PM   #215
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by BartAllen View Post

I even like the turtles forever movie (Was that special as divisive on this board?).
No, Turtles Forever is quite liked, most peoples problems with it is they treat the original Turtles too goofy, but other than that it was an excellent finale to the 2k3 series.

I'd also give the Nick show another chance now that it's over. The humor and character interaction is superb, and the fight scenes are often just as good or better than this series.
Old 12-08-2017, 02:27 PM   #216
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Do I feel 2K3 is under-appreciated? No.

Do I feel 2K3 is under-appreciated, compared to the other TMNT cartoons? Yes, absolutely. I'm sure to much/all of TPTB at Nick it's "the one without Bebop and Rocksteady," so automatically not worth remembering.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 02:37 PM   #217
newfan
Mad Scientist

I suppose with the 80s being the first and as big as it was at the time it will always be most known (but favourite to some regardless of that)
The 2012 has been more focused on because it was the current/new show and where Nick first came in, it no-longer is so that will change with the new show.

Was 2k3 popular and given attention at it's time? It did run for 7 seasons so I assume it was, no?

So, just a question squeezed in here, was Turtles Forever the finale as in the last eps or was a special done afterwards?
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 02:38 PM   #218
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfan View Post

So, just a question squeezed in here, was Turtles Forever the finale as in the last eps or was a special done afterwards?
Turtles Forever came out in 2009, right after the end of the final season. Turtles Forever was written as the true series finale of it.
Old 12-16-2017, 08:33 AM   #219
dragonside
Hench Mutant

I have always felt that TMNT 2003 was always the middle child (becoming true when the Nick toon came out). Therefore, definitely underrated.

Its got roots in everything. I see it as kind of the Ultimate TMNT (kind of like Ultimate Marvel). The best amalgamation of all previous concepts.

It ran for quite a few seasons and the animation through out was well done.

2003 is PL's vision of TMNT animated.

Cough, for me, this is the closest to source material adaptation of the comics.

If anything, I got a sense that there are at least few people that would want the FW cartoon to "continue". While for the 2k3 cartoon, most people were satisfied that we got.. Turtles Forever & the wedding of Casey and April.
dragonside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 02:01 PM   #220
CyberCubed
Overlord

TMNT 2k3 isn't the middle child, and it can't be now that there's a 2018 show as well. By this logic the Nick cartoon is also in the "middle child" now.

Tags
2k3 series, channelmadness