The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 08-04-2017, 01:35 PM   #381
Turo602
The King of Kings

Honestly, I'd like them to properly evolve Sonic in 3D while keeping Classic Sonic as a sub-series character. Like New Super Mario Bros. to 3D Mario. I don't necessarily want another Sonic Mania with those same 16 bit graphics, but an HD version of that with cleaner textures and more expressive animations. They could even do a game in the style of Classic Sonic from Generations and Forces rather than shoehorn him into 3D games. The 3D games on the other hand need to be completely revisioned.
Old 08-04-2017, 01:51 PM   #382
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Deadman View Post
Why does it look like ****? You're not giving any reasons why other than to just **** on the game.
The graphics. Of the special stages. Look. Like. Actual. ****. Oh my God. I can't believe I have to go this far and reiterate something so simple like a thousand times.

At least Turo gets me.
Cure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 03:07 AM   #383
Shark_Blade
Emperor

5 days til Sonic Mania.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 01:23 PM   #384
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
5 days til Sonic Mania.
Best pre-order deal I've seen still remains Bundle Stars offering 20% off until launch day.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 07:01 PM   #385
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Also, the PC version of Mania has been delayed to August 29th.

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 07:46 PM   #386
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleTitan97 View Post

Also, the PC version of Mania has been delayed to August 29th.
I guess it's something that pre-orders get a complimentary Steam version of Sonic 1. Ah, if only it was the HD version though...

But I'm glad they decided to work some of the bugs out before releasing it. Let's hope it's a smooth launch on the 29th.

View my sketch work!
Old 08-11-2017, 11:34 PM   #387
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Welp, plan to get the PS4 version.
Old 08-12-2017, 12:03 AM   #388
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

https://twitter.com/bradflick55/stat...02149742338048

All other Shooting Stars memes were just a prelude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
I guess it's something that pre-orders get a complimentary Steam version of Sonic 1. Ah, if only it was the HD version though...

But I'm glad they decided to work some of the bugs out before releasing it. Let's hope it's a smooth launch on the 29th.
You mean the cell phone version, right?

If I remember right, those never landing anywhere else is down to the Nintendo exclusivity deal at the time. There's been talk that they wanted to bring them to Steam and the like before, but nothing's come of it yet. Hopefully, we'll get it at some point.
Old 08-12-2017, 02:35 AM   #389
ZariusTwo
Overlord

The game play has leaked all over Youtube.

Spoiler:
I quite like the act one boss battle in Hydro City, a twist on things where you're in the egg-o-matic and Eggman is planting bombs underneath you in the water
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 10:08 AM   #390
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl316bh View Post

If I remember right, those never landing anywhere else is down to the Nintendo exclusivity deal at the time. There's been talk that they wanted to bring them to Steam and the like before, but nothing's come of it yet. Hopefully, we'll get it at some point.
Yeah, but... why would Nintendo have anything to say about smart phone gaming? I really want Christian Whitehead's Sonic 1 and 2 HD on Steam. They released his Sonic CD remaster on just about every platform but Nintendo but not the other games.

View my sketch work!
Old 08-12-2017, 03:21 PM   #391
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Yeah, but... why would Nintendo have anything to say about smart phone gaming? I really want Christian Whitehead's Sonic 1 and 2 HD on Steam. They released his Sonic CD remaster on just about every platform but Nintendo but not the other games.
I don't know, but as I recall, that was what it was. Sega's done it before, because Nintendo systems are frequently their best sales on hardware. I'm sure they'll make it to Steam eventually, though. Sega's been making a point to put a lot of games on Steam that weren't there before. I mean, freakin' Vanquish, my favorite game of the year I played it, just hit.

As for Sonic CD, remember that was in 2011. That was before the Sonic exclusivity deal for the Wii U.
Old 08-15-2017, 07:40 AM   #392
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Well, gonna play Mania in a bit hopefully. How's everyone enjoying it so far?

It's been trending on Twitter and most reviews are praising it. Many gamers also hailing it as the best Sonic game ever.
Old 08-15-2017, 07:50 AM   #393
oldmanwinters
Overlord

So the leading theory for the PC delay of Mania is DRM. Lame! But I guess a company has to protect their IP.

View my sketch work!
Old 08-15-2017, 11:17 AM   #394
TMNT_Guy
Stone Warrior

Quote:
So the leading theory for the PC delay of Mania is DRM.
A theory that doesn't have any evidence of being true. It all started when lead developer of Sonic Mania, Christian "The Taxman" Whitehead, tweeted this:
Quote:
Man, can you imagine if we had to put DRM in DNA? What a world that'd be.
Many thought he was hinting at DRM in Sonic Mana, but in actuality he was referring to this article: "Biohackers Encoded Malware in a Strand of DNA"

The official reason for the delay is "optimization" reasons and so far that may be the case. The console releases so far have a few bugs and glitches(Taxman himself said his team are working to fix them) and just a day or two a go the Sonic Mania Steam page updated it's controller support from "Partial" to "Full". So basically we have no idea why the PC release is being delayed. I don't think it's DRM since none of the other Sonic games on Steam have DRM on them...unless you count Steam itself as DRM.

The delay does stink, I preordered the PC Collectors Edition, so even though that really cool statue is being delivered today, I won't actually get to play the game for another 14 days. I'm doing all I can to avoid spoilers until then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl316bh View Post

I don't think it has anything to do with the Nintendo exclusivity and more to do with Sega not caring about the mobile remakes. For one thing these versions were never released on a Nintendo consoles and second of all Sonic Lost Word, a Wii U exclusive that was part of the exclusivity deal, is now availabe on Steam. "But then why did the Sonic CD remake get on Steam?" The whole reason the Sonic CD remake exists at all is because Sega had difficulty emulating the Sega CD version, which is why the glitchy port in Sonic Gems Collection was the old PC version. The remake also conveniently allowed them to tie it in with the release of Sonic 4 Episode 2 (CONTINUE THE ADVENTURE WITH SONIC 4 AVAILABLE NOW) that just so happened to have Metal Sonic in it. I guess it's less of a hassle for them to just keep the emulated versions on Steam then it is to pay someone to optimize the remakes for Steam.

To further prove that Sega doesn't care about the remakes and to bring the discussion back to Sonic Mania: Sonic Mania was originally pitched as a remake of Sonic 3 & Knuckles just like how Sonic 1,2 and CD were done, but rejected by the lead of Sonic Team, Takashi Iizuka, because he thought the classic games had "enough" releases.
Source:https://twitter.com/SonicJPNews/stat...10193880616965
Old 08-17-2017, 01:24 AM   #395
Ninjinister
無問題

Haven't bought Sonic Mania yet and probably won't for a while, if at all, but I did watch a boss run and damn, those are the most inventive and clever bosses the series has ever had!
Old 08-17-2017, 08:32 AM   #396
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I'll probably get sonicmania when it's cheap on Steam, I can play the waiting game. I bought all of Sonic's PC games for like $60 and got an awesome subtle classic sonic shirt with it, without the shirt it was like only $20 or something like that.

Now that SonicMania is a hit and got people excited about Sonic and people keep asking we might end up seeing the taxman mobile ports of Sonic 1 and 2 on PC, hell they might remake Sonic 3&K and release them as a "trilogy remastered" pack or whatever. I don't think it's so out of the question, especially now that classic sonic is "cool" again.

In general I want more Sonic PC ports: Heroes, Shadow, 06, Unleashed, Colors. I mean Colors is considered one of the best and heroes/unleashed have a lot of nostalgia nowadays to get them done. I personally love Shadow and it'd be awful to just leave 06 out. Ports of the GameGear games should be really easy as well and Sega loves easy ports and why not Knuckles Chaotix, it's the only missing "sonic" game for Genesis even if it's 32x. No reason not to port the Advance and DS games as well. But enough with my wishlist.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 05:06 AM   #397
Turo602
The King of Kings

Really enjoying Sonic Mania so far and from what I've played, I'm impressed. It's a little disappointing that they had to delve into the old quite frequently, with the amount of returning zones vastly outnumbering the brand new zones. Even the first act stages rip portions straight from the original games. However, what's new is simply fantastic. The act 2 stages of the returning zones make revisiting familiar locations like Chemical Plant and Oil Ocean feel completely brand new with the amount of creativity injected into them. New offerings like Studiopolis and Mirage Saloon are some of the strongest levels in the series, as are a lot of the new and unique boss fights, some of which are just insanely cool references to Sonic's forgotten past. Though, some bosses' weak spots can be a little hard to figure out at first, and with lives not exactly being easy to farm, you end up getting a game over before you've figured it out and have to start all the way from the beginning of the zone, which can be really annoying.

I'm also not a huge fan of the special stages which somehow control a lot worse than the half-pipe stages from Sonic 2. The blue sphere mini-game from Sonic 3 & Knuckles returns with a vengeance, but this time as a bonus stage with a ton more levels that you need to complete in order to unlock new modes and features, which I won't spoil, but are really cool. Overall though, I think it's an excellent game well worth its price tag, as it boasts more content than Sonic Generations, which had a very similar concept and sold for full retail price.
Old 08-19-2017, 08:11 AM   #398
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

This song is booty. A REALLY
big booty.

What was Sega thinking?!

Last edited by Papenbrook; 08-19-2017 at 08:39 AM.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 08:57 PM   #399
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

And this should be considered a big deal because...?

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 04:39 AM   #400
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Welp played Sonic Mania on PS4 (Sonic & Tails 2 players co-op). Had a great time, stuck in Oil Ocean Act 2 for now.

The emeralds are kinda hard to get, I need more practice heh. Only got 1 for now.

I plan to get this game on PC and Switch as well.

Tags
paperbrookneedsfreshair, sega, sonic