The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 09-24-2016, 10:00 PM   #1
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

Turtles rebel against Splinter?

Does anyone think, in the light of everything that's happening in recent IDW comics, that we might see a mass defection of the TMNT from the foot? And maybe... we might not see splinter go with them? Might Mikey's rebelliousness only be a symptom, and the TMNT reject the role of assassins, and use their ninjitsu training for nobler ends?

Yoshi was brought up in the foot, and being a cold-heated ninja might be easier for him (despite beliving he's doing such for nobler ends) But the turtles were raised by their peace-loving mother, and what if her influence overrides thier ninja training in thier hearts... and what if Spilnter doesn't 'come around' in this version? Do you all think we might see Splinter become the turtle's greatest enemy in place of shredder, and the father may need to be taken down?

IDW is the best version of TMNT

If they make a TMNT reboot movie retelling the shredder battle/origin, I won't buy a ticket.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 10:15 PM   #2
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Perhaps that is Kitsune's plan!
Old 09-24-2016, 10:16 PM   #3
ChosenOne
Banned

At this point, I believe the Turtles defecting from the Foot sometime in the near future is pretty much a given. Maybe it'll even happen soon after Chasing Phantoms concludes, for all we know.

I'm not so sure that the ensuing conflict can only end with Splinter's death, though. He's either going down that slippery slope of his own volition and will be made to realize the error of his ways, or there's something or someone pulling his strings and the Turtles will find a way to stop it, before it's too late.

Of course, I could be wrong and IDW could pull off an absolutely monumental, groundbreaking moment in the history of the franchise in the form of a fight to the death between Yoshi and his sons. Time will tell, I'm very much looking forward to it no matter what!
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 12:21 PM   #4
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Few things.

#1. The Turtles/Splinter rift is now an absolute given.

#2. Splinter will never go so far as to be antagonistic towards them, not without extreme manipulation on the part of the Pantheon. And I very much doubt the overall story is going that direction.

At this point, I have some thoughts on where the story and Splinter could go, but we don't have enough data to predict anything with much chance of being correct.
Old 09-25-2016, 01:14 PM   #5
CyberCubed
Overlord

Its likely Rat King has been in control of Splinter's mind for some time, we just don't know it yet.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 01:52 PM   #6
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Splinter will never go so far as to be antagonistic towards them, not without extreme manipulation on the part of the Pantheon. And I very much doubt the overall story is going that direction.
I agree with everything you said, except this. Are we so sure splinter couldn't be pushed down the ladder of morality -with possible pantheon manipulation, yes- that he'd fight them if they opposed the foot? Or his decisions become so morally reprehensible that the four brothers all refuse to participate, just as he did all those centuries ago, when Saki wanted to destroy the village? Might the turtles oppose him and the foot, to stop them from doing something truly horrible?

This isn't past universes, might we be heading in a different direction? Who saw splinter taking over the foot coming?

If they make a TMNT reboot movie retelling the shredder battle/origin, I won't buy a ticket.
Old 09-25-2016, 01:59 PM   #7
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda_Kahn_fan View Post
I agree with everything you said, except this. Are we so sure splinter couldn't be pushed down the ladder of morality -with possible pantheon manipulation, yes- that he'd fight them if they opposed the foot? Or his decisions become so morally reprehensible that the four brothers all refuse to participate, just as he did all those centuries ago, when Saki wanted to destroy the village? Might the turtles oppose him and the foot, to stop them from doing something truly horrible?

This isn't past universes, might we be heading in a different direction? Who saw splinter taking over the foot coming?
It was hardly SHOCKING. It was a twist and a very good surprise, but we've already seen the Turtles work alongside the Foot (even lead it... looking at you, Raph) in other incarnations.

There will absolutely be a moral division between father and sons, possibly even a confrontation, but Splinter will not try to kill his sons nor vice versa. Hamato Yoshi has been a moral and upstanding man all his life, whereas Oroku Saki was under Pantheon influence for HIS entire life.
Old 09-25-2016, 02:31 PM   #8
ChosenOne
Banned

If Splinter and the Turtles never come to blows, then it won't be much of a schism. The bros and the Foot ninjas would just be exchanging friendly waves every time they ran into each other on rooftops and back alleys. Ergo...
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 03:06 PM   #9
CyberCubed
Overlord

A lot of people tend to forget a lot of stuff IDW does are loose adaptions of earlier material. I agree with Cylon that Splinter taking over the Foot Clan isn't that surprising, given Raphael led the Foot Clan in Shredder's armor no less in the Image comics.

At the end of the Image run, the Foot Clan betrayed Raphael and tried to kill him. Then Lady Shredder showed up and took over in his place.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 03:29 PM   #10
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

We know that Kitsune had some type of influence over Shredder just like Alopex. Since she had some type of hold Shredder as the leader of the Foot Clan then why not Splinter as well? In Shredder's final moments he showed legitimate redemption. Perhaps Kitsune's influence had left him and we saw the real Saki then? If that is the case then it would point towards Kitsune controlling the whole situation of the Foot and Splinter is a placeholder pawn in Shredder's place? In a sense Kitsune is the true leader of the Foot.
Old 09-25-2016, 06:53 PM   #11
Mormegil
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Its likely Rat King has been in control of Splinter's mind for some time, we just don't know it yet.
This is my guess to. He will keep getting more and more aggressive until he orders the turtles to be locked up or something. Then they'll realize he's under the rat kings control.
Mormegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 08:48 PM   #12
myconius
Abby Normal

Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
i have to admit this new series of events with Splinter is really shocking, but it's good to see this story with the Ninja Turtles joining the Foot Clan finally starting to get REALLY juicy!
Old 10-01-2016, 08:59 AM   #13
Rooish
Devil's Advocate

I didn't buy comics for three months and came back to this mad storyline of 60 - 62.

Was just rolling my eyes about the whole Mikey storyline being resolved with a whole moral of Mikey-was-wrong-all-along-and-just-needed-to-grow-up thing, when Splinter suddenly became much more sketchy. It's great! I think the Turtles will split. Or at least I hope so. This series is so well executed and is really addictive, even when each issue is typically mostly exposition plus a shocker on the final page.

Thanks evan2000 for the sig!
Rooish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 10:42 PM   #14
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooish View Post
I didn't buy comics for three months and came back to this mad storyline of 60 - 62.

Was just rolling my eyes about the whole Mikey storyline being resolved with a whole moral of Mikey-was-wrong-all-along-and-just-needed-to-grow-up thing, when Splinter suddenly became much more sketchy. It's great! I think the Turtles will split. Or at least I hope so. This series is so well executed and is really addictive, even when each issue is typically mostly exposition plus a shocker on the final page.
Yes, I'm glad Mikey's fears have turned out to be not totally unfounded. It makes him look better, and does something new and interesting with Splinter.

Old 10-05-2016, 11:47 PM   #15
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Yeah, I don't think it's over with Mike's storyline. Probably in the next two issues, someone's going to be owing him a huge apology.