The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2017, 01:49 PM   #81
ABrown
Mad Scientist
 
ABrown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Northwest Indiana
Posts: 1,241
I never bought any of the tapes when I was child. Though I did have MANY episodes on tape.
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 02:15 PM   #82
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Emperor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sweden
Posts: 6,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrown View Post
I never bought any of the tapes when I was child. Though I did have MANY episodes on tape.
I videotaped as many episodes as possible. I would skip the intro song and outro music, and even the commercial breaks. I even videotaped almost all of season 1 from the 2003-2009 series.
__________________
Because the crossovers doing nothing else than messing up the timeline and other stuff of the 1987-1996 series, I've given up writing fanfiction about it. Instead, I'm trying to reboot the TMNT as many other fanfiction writers do:

Hopefully, stories will later appear at

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/968367/O...NT-Cartoon-Fan
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 02:46 PM   #83
neatoman
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 4,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrown View Post
I never bought any of the tapes when I was child. Though I did have MANY episodes on tape.
Cheeky....
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTH View Post
Turtles is basically the red-headed stepchild of Nick.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 07:02 PM   #84
MrPliggins
Foot Elite
 
MrPliggins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,521
Still have my original VHS tape of the first two episodes buried in a closet somewhere. I wonder if it still plays?
MrPliggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:21 AM   #85
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic
 
BubblyShell22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 16,874
I still have the VHS tapes from BK somewhere. I always loved popping those in and watching them.
__________________
"A warrior who never fails, never learns."-The Ancient One.

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 09:37 AM   #86
biganimefan
Foot Soldier
 
biganimefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Indiana
Posts: 144
I still have some memory getting into this show. Back in 1989 I was introduced to the toys by a friend. He talked to me about it, and by the end of the year, the FW series became my favorite show(beating out Chip 'n' Dale Rescue Rangers and Duck Tales at the time).

The series was a huge part of my childhood. Being a fan back then is a bit of an understatement from me. I was homeschooled, sheltered, had/have CP(talking for the most part was more trouble than it was worth as a kid), and had VERY few friends. In my head, fan fiction concerning the Turtles was a constant thing for years as a kid.

Before the series ended, I came across both the Archie and Mirage Turtle comic lines and enjoyed what I read of them. To this day, I'm not really into comic books at all. Also, I do understand enough about quality these days that FW is technically one of the "lesser" of the incarnations, but I still am a fan of it. And I'll be doing an all-Universe encompassing Turtle marathon starting next Fall. Also plan on officially introducing it to my children when the time comes(already done so with my wife).

Last edited by biganimefan; 09-13-2017 at 09:46 AM.
biganimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 11:11 AM   #87
pferreira
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsu Deinonychus View Post
Leo as the leader, Raph as the "jerk", Mike as the playful one, and Don as the tech-wiz were still established in the Mirage issues that Wise had to work with. It's one thing to want his credit as the main writer for a particularly popular version of TMNT, but to try to usurp the actual TMNT creators, or take credit for TMNT as a whole is quite another.
If you're adapting a comic based probably Issue 1 all that you said probably wasn't clear. Yeah as you previously said 12 issues existed which wasn't much to begin with but if David only read like the first issue he's going to think he was responsible for TMNT's personalities. I don't think even David has considered that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsu Deinonychus View Post
I don't believe that at all. Again, FW TMNT only exists in the first place because the Mirage comic was a surprise hit and that got Playmates and MWS attention. If the Mirage comic was a flop they wouldn't have made a cartoon out of it. (Not saying the cartoon didn't amplify that success to an insane degree, just saying the comic was successful to begin with)
I doubt TMNT would have been a success had it not been for the cartoon series. The comic did okay underground but it probably in the long run would have come and gone again again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Cheeky....
Why is that cheeky? We all recorded stuff back then on these things called VHS tapes..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
I've had this same argument with him in the past, it gets you no where. The from 1984 to mid-87, the turtles had plenty of characterizing moments in Mirage between the main series, the micros and all the shorts/backups. But I guess in cferreira's demented little peanut brain, David Wise began scripting the pilot season in early 85
Well this 'little peanut brain' is reporting you're post for complete rudeness.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 12:48 PM   #88
Candy Kappa
Passive-Aggressive Snob
 
Candy Kappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vikingland
Posts: 12,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
I doubt TMNT would have been a success had it not been for the cartoon series. The comic did okay underground but it probably in the long run would have come and gone again again.
Maybe not a Turtle mania success, but the movie deal was in the works before the show, it had a tabletop rpg with its own miniatures and we wouldn't have a cartoon had it not been for the interest in making action figures of the Turtles.

But nowhere as big without Playmates and FW, that's for sure.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 01:01 PM   #89
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Emperor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sweden
Posts: 6,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPliggins View Post
Still have my original VHS tape of the first two episodes buried in a closet somewhere. I wonder if it still plays?
You mean this one?

http://www.thetechnodrome.com/images/vhs/hiah.jpg
__________________
Because the crossovers doing nothing else than messing up the timeline and other stuff of the 1987-1996 series, I've given up writing fanfiction about it. Instead, I'm trying to reboot the TMNT as many other fanfiction writers do:

Hopefully, stories will later appear at

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/968367/O...NT-Cartoon-Fan
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 01:16 PM   #90
FredWolfLeonardo
FW Fanboy
 
FredWolfLeonardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Fourside
Posts: 1,569
I wonder why some people keep on arguing (when its about the quality of the cartoon) whether tmnt wouldve been a success without the FW show?

It should have no bearing on the show itself and even if we assume that The FW show had absolutely no bearing on tmnts popularity and success, it shouldn't matter.

I enjoy the show for its humour, colourful characters and you know what difference it would make for me if everyone else on the planet hated it with a passion? Absolutely none.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 03:25 PM   #91
neatoman
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 4,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
I wonder why some people keep on arguing (when its about the quality of the cartoon) whether tmnt wouldve been a success without the FW show?

It should have no bearing on the show itself and even if we assume that The FW show had absolutely no bearing on tmnts popularity and success, it shouldn't matter.

I enjoy the show for its humour, colourful characters and you know what difference it would make for me if everyone else on the planet hated it with a passion? Absolutely none.
Because it's hard to defend it for what it is? Bad writing and bad animation are almost too easy to argue, so defenders default to the success argument when it's brought up.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTH View Post
Turtles is basically the red-headed stepchild of Nick.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 03:34 PM   #92
ToTheNines
[sic]
 
ToTheNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 14,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
Well this 'little peanut brain' is reporting you're post for complete rudeness.
You mean "your".

Yeah, go ahead and cry to the mods. That's what I do when I lose an argument.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 05:24 PM   #93
pferreira
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
Maybe not a Turtle mania success, but the movie deal was in the works before the show, it had a tabletop rpg with its own miniatures and we wouldn't have a cartoon had it not been for the interest in making action figures of the Turtles.

But nowhere as big without Playmates and FW, that's for sure.
Oh yeah definitely agree with you there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
I wonder why some people keep on arguing (when its about the quality of the cartoon) whether tmnt wouldve been a success without the FW show?

It should have no bearing on the show itself and even if we assume that The FW show had absolutely no bearing on tmnts popularity and success, it shouldn't matter.
You want rationale discussion from someone like neatoman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Because it's hard to defend it for what it is? Bad writing and bad animation are almost too easy to argue, so defenders default to the success argument when it's brought up.
Sorry this is an appreciation thread, why are you on here? Go and annoy Bobby with IDW questions and stop trolling this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
Yeah, go ahead and cry to the mods. That's what I do when I lose an argument.
It's not an argument. You're wrong and being insulting and I take offence to the second as anyone would.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 05:25 PM   #94
Prowler
Foot Elite
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 4,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
You mean "your".

Yeah, go ahead and cry to the mods. That's what I do when I lose an argument.
For the record, I don't think English is pferreira's first language. Ferreira is a Portuguese last name. I'm willing to bet he's either Portuguese or Brazilian.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 09:07 PM   #95
MrPliggins
Foot Elite
 
MrPliggins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
Yes, that's the one. I've had it for almost 30 years . I don't think VHS tapes were ever meant to last that long.
MrPliggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 05:28 PM   #96
ToTheNines
[sic]
 
ToTheNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 14,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
It's not an argument. You're wrong and being insulting and I take offence to the second as anyone would.
It's been an ongoing argument ever since you first showed your ass in this thread: http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=54538

I know you like to paint me as some FW-bashing troll, but I'm a fan of all things TMNT. And I take offense to you trying to discredit Eastman and Laird, as any real fan would.

Especially when said discrediting is for the sake of that whiny bitchass hack, David Wise.

See you Thursday, C.

Last edited by ToTheNines; 09-15-2017 at 07:54 PM.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 06:27 PM   #97
neatoman
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 4,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
It's been an ongoing argument ever since you first showed your ass in this thread: http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=54538

I know you like to paint me as FW bashing troll, but I'm a fan of all things TMNT. And I take offense to you trying to discredit Eastman and Laird, as any real fan would.

Especially when said discrediting is for the sake of that whiny bitchass hack, David Wise.

See you Thursday, C.
I honestly don't understand why anyone would even attempt to discredit Eastman and Laird in favor of Wise. About 20 issues came out before the show debuted, you can point to elements that made it into the show, there's video footage of E&L talking about the direction of the toyline, there's sketches of the new characters by them made early on, etc.

We even know Wise's scripts for the first season were altered by request of E&L to have a radically different ending, something Wise himself never bring up in interviews, while instead railing against the evidence I already brought up. There's little ambiguity around E&L's creatorship, they're responsible for most of the Mirage material by that time, the designs for the toy characters and several vetos to Wise's scripts. Wise on the other hand, with all of this in mind, might be responsible for the basic storyline in those episodes and some of the reworkings we don't know for sure came from Playmates.

That's what I really hate about his lack of honesty, it just robs him of whatever credit he really does deserve and the lack of other sources won't clear up the confusion. Sure, he might have come up with Krang and the Technodrome in just the way he claims to have.
Spoiler:
His claim is that he came up with the Technodrome because Shredder needed an origin for his robotic ninjas, which then needed an origin itself which came in the form of Krang, which was inspired by an evil brain movie, then Krang needed a reason to ally with Shredder, which was a body of his own, which lead to the retroactive Utrom look. Oh and I have never seen him mention how the original intention was for Shredder to be the body replacement himself but that it got vetoed.
Because there's so much untrustworthy nonsense in his interviews however, you might as well apply Occam's razor and say Krang the Technodrome were the result of Playmates wanting to market the Utroms as one character and a playset concept as early as possible and that all Wise did was to connect the pieces together. This might sound like slander but it's not, he's just demonstrably lacking credibility.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTH View Post
Turtles is basically the red-headed stepchild of Nick.
Hahahaha!

Last edited by neatoman; 09-16-2017 at 12:03 PM.
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 09:47 AM   #98
Tetsu Deinonychus
The Iron Dinosaur
 
Tetsu Deinonychus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Studio Snowlion HQ
Posts: 2,966
I'm not even sure he gives credit to the other FW writers. Are we really supposed to take his word for it that Patti Howeth didn't really contribute anything, for example? I'd like to hear her side of the story.

If he wants his fair due, he should be willing to give others theirs as well.

Anyway, one thing I liked about this version is all the "gangster" characters. I thought they were a lot of fun.

Last edited by Tetsu Deinonychus; 09-16-2017 at 09:55 AM.
Tetsu Deinonychus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 02:42 PM   #99
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Emperor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sweden
Posts: 6,485
Big Louie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsu Deinonychus View Post
Anyway, one thing I liked about this version is all the "gangster" characters. I thought they were a lot of fun.
Big Louie is my favourite. I also like how he has rivals like Beaver Cleaver and Wally Cleaver.
__________________
Because the crossovers doing nothing else than messing up the timeline and other stuff of the 1987-1996 series, I've given up writing fanfiction about it. Instead, I'm trying to reboot the TMNT as many other fanfiction writers do:

Hopefully, stories will later appear at

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/968367/O...NT-Cartoon-Fan
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 02:55 PM   #100
FredWolfLeonardo
FW Fanboy
 
FredWolfLeonardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Fourside
Posts: 1,569
Don Turtelli is my favourite of the bunch.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cubedmonkeysaround, mental_institution_escape

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.