The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Rise of the TMNT Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 03:55 PM   #3481
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

His ultimate enemy will be Tonfa Barbie who wants her weapons back.

Not sure the tonfa are pink, but the glow sure looks to be. Okay, so it's hard to do a light transparent red without becoming pink, but...
Old 03-01-2018, 04:24 PM   #3482
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

I wonder what the intro will be like.

I hope it's got a catchy theme!
Old 03-01-2018, 04:36 PM   #3483
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
Sais are better.
Both are striking weapons used for blocking and grappling. The Sai on a superficial level is more suited to trap others' weapons, but besides that they're more or less the same when it comes to a cartoon.
Old 03-01-2018, 04:40 PM   #3484
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Watch an actual martial arts movie with tonfas and tell me mall cops use their nightsticks like that.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Old 03-01-2018, 04:58 PM   #3485
victory_angel
Foot Elite

Tonfa aren’t new to TMNT it was a training weapon for Raph in the Mirage. Mikey uses them as a weapon in Next Mutation, and when Raph is arming himself in the first Kraang Invasion, one of the weapons he has with him are tonfa.
Old 03-01-2018, 06:52 PM   #3486
Donatello19
Merchandise Maniac

I don't love any of their designs, but after the last two movies we got it's hard to be too upset with them...
Old 03-01-2018, 08:06 PM   #3487
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Tonfas were the weapon Mikey was given in the Next Mutation instead of his nunchuks, in that show all the turtles also had different yet similar versions of their iconic weapons. Donatello also had a tek bow IIRC, Leo had this one sword that had dual blades so it could use it like scissors and I think Raph had extra long sais but I can't remember.

They were pretty cool but they barely used them sadly.
Old 03-01-2018, 10:48 PM   #3488
evan2000
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by victory_angel View Post
when Raph is arming himself in the first Kraang Invasion, one of the weapons he has with him are tonfa.

You're right! I almost forgotten about that. I always felt Tonfa was the logical choice for Raph as an alternate weapon, though I didn't know why until now. When I first saw the first official art of Rise, I wasn't surprised at all - and now I know why
Old 03-02-2018, 01:06 AM   #3489
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiewin View Post
Found some images of April's character facial expressions. It helps allude to what the animation might be like.

Now that I've examined the concept artwork more thoroughly, I've now noticed that they're similar to the Proud Family's/ Kim Possible's/ Xiaolin Showdown's style of art.

Last edited by Papenbrook; 03-04-2018 at 01:31 PM.
Old 03-02-2018, 01:25 AM   #3490
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan2000 View Post
https://i.imgur.com/6JBxx2g.jpg

You're right! I almost forgotten about that. I always felt Tonfa was the logical choice for Raph as an alternate weapon, though I didn't know why until now. When I first saw the first official art of Rise, I wasn't surprised at all - and now I know why
Most of us have forgotten about it anyway, it's a forgettable set of weapons.

The iconic Sais better make a return, fast. Same for the other boys: Mikey's dull fishing line with bait, Leo's awkward single sword and Don's whatever that rod (with swishy light at the ends) is.
Old 03-02-2018, 02:30 AM   #3491
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo_thebest View Post

I hate their had shapes.

Maybe the show will be fun; ugly, but fun.
Yeah I feel the same with the head shapes, I'm not warming to their faces (Mikey isn't bad) but as you pointed out, it's more about the show, if the stories and characters work then people get used to designs. I don't think this show be one I get into like the last one given the style I think it's meant to be but I'll likely watch it with my children, or take a look at it anyway out of curiosity.

Last edited by newfan; 03-02-2018 at 02:47 AM.
Old 03-02-2018, 11:23 PM   #3492
victory_angel
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
Most of us have forgotten about it anyway, it's a forgettable set of weapons.

The iconic Sais better make a return, fast. Same for the other boys: Mikey's dull fishing line with bait, Leo's awkward single sword and Don's whatever that rod (with swishy light at the ends) is.
The Kusari Fundo is also known as a the Manrikigusari and that has been used a couple of times in TMNT. Such as the OT first season Michelangelo uses one and then calls himself the master of the Manrikigusari. This is also a training weapon for Mikey in the mirage and its one of the weapons that April attempts to use in Baxters gambit.

It’s more or less a relation to his Kusari-gama from the last incarnation, except you have a weight on the end instead of a hooked blade. Where I recognize this weapon is during the game Red Ninja. In one part of the story you are given a weight-the Fundo- and you uses that to help you use the wire you have as a weapon to help you swing from beams like spider man. Or kill enemy samurai by by hanging or grabbing them and pulling them into castle moats where they drown due to the weight of their armor.
Old 03-03-2018, 07:39 AM   #3493
AlessandraDC
Thug

I don't know if you guys have seen this already, but it's a pretty neat video and looks at their weapons and other ninja-related stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyin0PqwLZw
Old 03-04-2018, 10:28 AM   #3494
Shellington
Foot Soldier

Whenever I look at Donnie's swollen cranium or Leo's red marks, it unsettles me.
"And we're teenagers." Mikey, the Teenager
Old 03-04-2018, 10:50 AM   #3495
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellington View Post
Whenever I look at Donnie's swollen cranium or Leo's red marks, it unsettles me.
Every time I see Leo's red marks I think it's a Kratos reference and keep forgetting it's because he's a red eared slider.

It's also interesting how this is the first time any of the turtles had the red marks considering they've always been red eared sliders. Even the grossly overly detailed scaley turtles from some artistic renditions leave out the red markings.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Old 03-04-2018, 11:58 AM   #3496
shihe
Hench Mutant

I'm going to post that image whenever someone complains about the weapon change.

I would really like for the turtles to carry two sets of weapons. Like their main ones, and their secondary ones.

Ideally, I would love it if they chose their weapons according to their mission. But since that can't always be the case, as most of the times trouble finds them on the way, this is what I think their weapon roster should be like:

Raph: 1) Tonfas - 2) Sais
Leonardo: 1) Katana(s) - 2) Yumi (bow from S3)
Michaelangelo: 1) Kusari fundo - 2) Nunchucks
Donatello: 1) Tech Bo - 2) Raph's flamethrower gauntlets from S3. (Because I feel bo staff + axe would feel redundant).

*(S3 as in season 3 from Nick Turtles 2012)
Old 03-04-2018, 12:07 PM   #3497
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by shihe View Post
I'm going to post that image whenever someone complains about the weapon change.

I would really like for the turtles to carry two sets of weapons. Like their main ones, and their secondary ones.

Ideally, I would love it if they chose their weapons according to their mission. But since that can't always be the case, as most of the times trouble finds them on the way, this is what I think their weapon roster should be like:

Raph: 1) Tonfas - 2) Sais
Leonardo: 1) Katana(s) - 2) Yumi (bow from S3)
Michaelangelo: 1) Kusari fundo - 2) Nunchucks
Donatello: 1) Tech Bo - 2) Raph's flamethrower gauntlets from S3. (Because I feel bo staff + axe would feel redundant).

*(S3 as in season 3 from Nick Turtles 2012)
The image in your signature is, like, ginormus
Old 03-04-2018, 12:40 PM   #3498
shihe
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
The image in your signature is, like, ginormus
Sorry about that.
Old 03-04-2018, 12:51 PM   #3499
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellington View Post
*My apologies, Mr. Suriano, but I must confess.*

I agree with the part in bold.

Maybe it's because of his head shape (pointy on the top, angled at the bottom), but I find Leonardo's overall facial structure to be extremely jarring to look at. He has the face of a creepy jester/ clown. (Although, his default expression [a smirk] may be the underlying cause of that.) It ... just doesn't look pleasant to me. I'm sorry.

I hope that it'll get rounded out in the future.

Last edited by Papenbrook; 03-04-2018 at 02:09 PM.
Old 03-04-2018, 01:13 PM   #3500
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by shihe View Post
Sorry about that.
No problem. For future reference, if you want to resize a picture to use as your signature or avatar, I'd recommend saving it to your computer, resizing it in MS Paint, and then uploading it to a free site like Tumblr or Facebook if you want to embed it in a post or just uploading it here to use as your sig/avatar
Closed Thread

Tags
2018, rise of the tmnt, speculation, we're crimefighters