The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 09-13-2017, 07:55 AM   #121
sdp
Megan Fox = April

After TFA it was a tiny minority that was criticizing the movie, I got flamed online for suggesting that it wasn't the greatest thing ever. Now the movie is a lot more divided, it wouldn't surprise me if it was mostly negative given a few more years. Return of the Sith was like that, highly praised as the first "real" SW prequel then a few years later "nah it sucks like the rest".

Has the Han Solo movie not been delayed? They really ought to but I guess we will have a mediocre Han Solo movie just 5 months after TLJ.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:17 AM   #122
Vegita-San
Emperor

While I may not like the plot of TFA's..

at least rey and finn where fun to watch on screen. and it mostly got the feel right.

R1 for me had none of that.

And where I was willing to accept Ep 1 over time as part of the SW saga, without GL behind ep 7, it won't be as lucky with the same treatment.

it's just an elseworlds story to me.
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 09:08 AM   #123
TheSkeletonMan939
A New Day, A New Headache

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
at least rey and finn where fun to watch on screen. and it mostly got the feel right.

R1 for me had none of that.
I don't think it was supposed to. How often in the OT did we actually see the ordinary Rebels in action? They were usually just getting blown up while the camera was focused on Luke, Leia, Han, whoever. Rogue One was about investigating who the common Rebel was, and how sometimes they weren't perfect people at all (the first time we meet the male protagonist he's literally shooting someone who trusts him in the back).
TheSkeletonMan939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 09:10 AM   #124
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

There are some ok set pieces in TFA but I find myself bored during everything else that happens. I love the new characters though. I think JJ did a great job with that.

I've seen some folks pushing the narrative that JJ only followed the mandate from Disney/Lucasfilm to make TFA resemble the OT as much as possible to get the older fans back on board and that this won't be an issue for IX. I don't know that I buy that excuse although the Art of TFA book backs that claim up. JJ is at least very aware of these criticisms so hopefully he'll make the necessary course corrections for IX.
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 09:54 AM   #125
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPug View Post
I've seen some folks pushing the narrative that JJ only followed the mandate from Disney/Lucasfilm to make TFA resemble the OT as much as possible to get the older fans back on board
Nonsense. The whole "Star Wars was a damaged thing, with a fractured and diminished fandom after the prequel trilogy, that's why SW needed to return to its ANH roots as a remake" is a FAKE thing, a false narrative manufactured by TPTB only after TFA started getting a ton of flak for being an outright remake.

Episode 3, which was the latest Star Wars movie before TFA, made 900 million dollars and "The Clone Wars" was a very well acclaimed TV show... Star Wars was absolutely fine. The fandom was absolutely fine. People will see "Star Wars," period. You throw out a trailer with Han and Leia and all of that in a new SW movie after 30 years, god, it becomes an EVENT. The exact number of reasons to make TFA a remake: Zero. Absolute zero.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 09-13-2017 at 10:03 AM.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 09:04 PM   #126
snake
Disgusting

It really doesn't hold up. I've watched it 5 times total and each time it just got worse and worse. I'm probably not watching it a 6th time unless it's in a marathon. Mind you, I've seen the OT over 100 times each, the PT at least 30, and Rogue One 8 times.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 09:47 AM   #127
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
It really doesn't hold up. I've watched it 5 times total and each time it just got worse and worse.... Mind you, I've seen the OT over 100 times each, the PT at least 30, and Rogue One 8 times.

Jaysus, how did you have the time for that? Ah, to be a teenager again...

I agree that TFA didn't hold up; I managed to watch it 1.5 times, stopping the second viewing after Han and Chewie showed up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 09:59 AM   #128
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
I agree that TFA didn't hold up; I managed to watch it 1.5 times, stopping the second viewing after Han and Chewie showed up.
Such a bittersweet moment. It was so awesome to see them on screen again in-character as soon as they walk on screen... but at the same time so angering and impossibly backwards that they're just stupid smugglers again, 35 years later.

I really hate JJ and TPTB for f***ing up moments like that.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 10:09 AM   #129
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Such a bittersweet moment. It was so awesome to see them on screen again in-character as soon as they walk on screen... but at the same time so angering and impossibly backwards that they're just stupid smugglers again, 35 years later.

I really hate JJ and TPTB for f***ing up moments like that.
agreed. they should be ruling the galaxy from the Imperial Palace with Lea as a jedi and luke as head of a couple hundred by then.

THAT is what fans wanted to see after the happy ending of ROTJ. Instead, we went backwards. for 'drama' or something...sigh.

not how i pictured the plot line going forward. say what you will about the bad parts of the EU, but where the characters ended up for the most part felt right.
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 12:00 PM   #130
TheSkeletonMan939
A New Day, A New Headache

I also felt that something was really off about those two just being smugglers again. I guess you could imagine that Han retreated into his old life after his son turned evil and Luke disappeared, in an effort to just forget it all. But no matter how good the in-story explanation might be, I'll never be able to appreciate it because it's all just a setup for that ridiculous, almost unspeakably bad "Rathtar" sequence.
TheSkeletonMan939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 12:52 PM   #131
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSkeletonMan939 View Post
I also felt that something was really off about those two just being smugglers again. I guess you could imagine that Han retreated into his old life after his son turned evil and Luke disappeared, in an effort to just forget it all. But no matter how good the in-story explanation might be, I'll never be able to appreciate it because it's all just a setup for that ridiculous, almost unspeakably bad "Rathtar" sequence.
That would actually make sense. When people try to move beyond their past but it all goes wrong, retreating into the known and "comfortable" is an easy, believable move.

But JJ Abrams is still a hack. First Star Trek, now Star Wars. There is no end to his rehash remix reboot rehack lens-flare madness.
Old 09-17-2017, 03:10 PM   #132
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

I just read about Colin Trevorrow being fired from Episode 9. Did he want more than limited control and Kathleen Kennedy say, "no" with a pink slip?

Abrams will oversee Episode 9 for the sole reason to annoy CyclonsKlingonsDaleksohmy!

http://www.starwars.com/news/j-j-abr...ars-episode-ix
Old 09-17-2017, 03:24 PM   #133
snake
Disgusting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
http://mrwgifs.com/wp-content/upload...action-Gif.gif

Jaysus, how did you have the time for that? Ah, to be a teenager again...

Well, my first movie that I can remember was Return of the Jedi at 3 and I've been watching them ever since. Rancor scared me bad.
Old 09-17-2017, 03:26 PM   #134
CyberCubed
Overlord

I've only watched Episode 7 once when it came out and liked it, but never rewatched it because I'm worried my opinion will change for the worse.

It seems everyone thought Episode 7 was great when they watched it the first time, but then after that everyones opinion change
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 03:39 PM   #135
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I thought I really liked it after first watching it at the midnight premier but as the next day progressed I realized it wasn't so good. I did re-watch it again in January and I can't say I disliked it more but I didn't feel as happy as I did when I had just finished that midnight showing, it was just the same "after" feelings. The movie does do some really cool things, there are just too many bad decisions/back to status-quo that make it hard to want to re-watch.

I haven't felt like watching the movie again ever since nor do I look forward to watching it again, though I guess I will watch it before Episode VIII just to have it fresh in my mind. Crazy that we already have VIII in just 3 months, I don't feel hyped at all and don't feel like watching every Star Wars movie leading up to it like I had done for Ep.I,II,III & VII.

I hope I'm wrong and everything is awesome with VIII and after but based on the stuff going on behind the scenes it doesn't seem like it. As long as they have blind fanboys who give them box office records Disney will continue.

Today someone argued why Captain Phasma was awesome in Force Awakens because the book and comic totally make sense of why she didn't do crap and was defeated in 3 mins without much effort, clearly she's too intelligent and you need to read the book and comic to know why those decisions that might seem stupid are actually brilliant and make her a better character overall.
Old 09-17-2017, 03:45 PM   #136
CyberCubed
Overlord

Does Rey have a love interest planned? I wonder if they'll make her a lesbian, and she'd be the first Disney lesbian character in a big movie.
Old 09-17-2017, 03:51 PM   #137
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Disney is not going to have a Lesbian as their lead character to one of their biggest franchises, the best people can hope for is that she doesn't have a partner a la Luke and let people speculate their dreams away even if in canon she just isn't interested.

I think they'll go through with the Finn/Rey romance, Star Wars is a very basic good vs evil story so having Finn who likes her end up with her is a classic Disney ending. That'll still cause controversy for race mixing but mostly with alt-right type of people so it won't matter. They wouldn't have set up Finn the way they did in TFA to have Rey end up with someone else, Disney will play it by the book, this isn't Lucas' Lucasfilm where Leia ended up with Han instead of Luke to make things more interesting.
Old 09-17-2017, 03:52 PM   #138
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Does Rey have a love interest planned? I wonder if they'll make her a lesbian, and she'd be the first Disney lesbian character in a big movie.
Cubed, it is not necessary for every character to have a love interest. That comment is just as ridiculous as Poe and Finn's bromance being considered gay. If we have a romance between anyone it will likely be straight. If there is a gay romance so be it I just do not see it happening in a Star Wars film. Other media, who knows?

Let's move on...so thoughts on Snoke's background or his released non-holographic appearance?
Old 09-17-2017, 04:09 PM   #139
snake
Disgusting

I'm one letter change away from being snoke.
Old 09-17-2017, 04:32 PM   #140
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
Cubed, it is not necessary for every character to have a love interest. That comment is just as ridiculous as Poe and Finn's bromance being considered gay. If we have a romance between anyone it will likely be straight.
"If there is a romance between anyone it will likely be straight."

Why do you say that? We're in the year 2017 not 1977.

A lot has changed in the last 40+ years since Star Wars came out.