The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 08-06-2015, 05:54 PM   #1
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Jumanji getting a reboot

It’s been 20 years since Robin Williams starred in the blockbuster adaptation of Chris Van Allsburg‘s 1981 children’s book Jumanji. So that means it’s time for a reboot.

We first heard about a new adaptation of Jumanji in the summer of 2012, and then six months later, Zack Helm, the writer of Stranger than Fiction and writer/director of Mr. Magorium’s Wonder Emporium, was brought on to write the script. But since then we haven’t any progress on the development front.

But it sounds like we might hear more about the project soon because Sony Pictures has just set a release date for the film on December 25th, 2016. Find out more about the Jumanji reboot after the jump!

As of now, we can only assume that the script that Zack Helm was hired to write is still being used for the reboot, but there’s a good chance that it will get a rewrite before it goes in front of cameras. Otherwise, we haven’t heard anything about who might end up directing the movie, or who will star.

The original Jumanji was released in December of 1995 with The Rocketeer and Captain America: The First Avenger director Joe Johnston at the helm. Robin Williams played the adult version of a young boy who was sucked into the game years earlier, only to emerge later when two kids in then-present day 1995 played the game and freed him from the jungle in which he was trapped.

The cast of the movie was led by Robin Williams with Bonnie Hunt, Kirsten Dunst, Bradley Pierce, David Alan Grier, Jonathan Hyde (in two roles) and Bebe Neuwirth, and it featured some state of the art special effects at the time in order to bring the dangers of the jungle out of the game of Jumanji and into our world. This included stampedes of elephants, zebras and rhinos along with mischievous monkeys, poisonous plants, deadly (very fake) spiders and a lethal hunter by the name of Van Pelt, all in the middle of a clueless, terrified suburban neighborhood.

Today’s special effects will undoubtedly allow for even more realistic spectacle to come from the game if the same approach is taken with the story. Though I’m betting the story won’t have the passage of time element that the original one had, undoubtedly it will have the dangerous world of the jungle clashing with the world of unsuspecting children and adults, and that has the potential to be fun on the big screen again.

Sony Pictures also dated a whole bunch of other movies arriving over the next few years, such as Uncharted and Passengers, not to mention two Bad Boys sequels with Will Smith and Martin Lawrence.

http://www.slashfilm.com/jumanji-reboot/
Old 04-16-2016, 09:48 PM   #2
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Dwayne Johnson and Kevin Hart might star in the Jumanji remake
http://variety.com/2016/film/news/ju...on-1201725642/
Old 04-16-2016, 10:08 PM   #3
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

I dunno... with Robin Williams gone that's kind of sad to redo it. I'd rather they were doing a sequel. Or a film of another similar kind of theme, since Zathura, the sequel to the Jumanji book, is already a film.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 03:40 AM   #4
Hero
British Bloke

The Rock's resume seems to be adding up a lot of reboots/remakes.
Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 08:40 AM   #5
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Jack Black joins Jumanji.

The Rock and Jack Black together. M'lright.
Krutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 12:36 PM   #6
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Nick Jonas is in talks to join the film. I wish I could be excited about this. Principal photography also begins next month in Hawaii.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/07/28...jumanji-reboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krutch View Post
Jack Black joins Jumanji.

The Rock and Jack Black together. M'lright.
There wasn't a source in that post for him being a part of this, but here's one.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/05/11...jumanji-reboot
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 03:16 PM   #7
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

A few weeks ago, Kevin Hart talked about the film and his working relationship and friendship with Dwayne Johnson as well.

Quote:
Hart is excited, but keenly aware of the love fans have for the 1995 original. “I think we really have the opportunity to do something special,” he told EW in a cover interview on stands now. “We’re doing a remake of a movie that has no weak points. Jumanji was an amazing film — rest in peace to Robin Williams. So we’re not trying to recreate the movie that people may be familiar with, we’re trying to modernize it, for those people who don’t know what Jumanji is, in a clever, unique way. Not destroy the movie, of course, but pay homage to all parties that were involved in it and just make it special for this generation.”

It helps, he says, that he and Johnson have become genuine friends offscreen: “It’s not forced, it’s not programmed. It’s a real friendship — that’s my guy. Teaming up with him was a no-brainer. Look, I’ve been lucky enough to work with some amazing people at this point. From [Ice] Cube to Will Ferrell, Josh Gad — I love Josh to death. DeNiro, Stallone. And the thing about Dwayne that just stands out is, we both approach our days exactly the same… [That’s why] Our [Central Intelligence] promo tour was so dope. It was long, the hours were ridiculous, but we had fun because we love it.”

“Some people get it, some people don’t,” he continues. “He gets it. If you go look at his social media, at the way he embraces and engages his fan base, how available he is, how he lets people see behind that curtain of what he’s doing — he takes the time out to give back, to be seen, to be heard when he doesn’t have to. And the physical fitness! How wrestling was his first platform and he maximized all that potential….The guy is just so involved.”
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/08/04...jumanji-reboot

However, the Rock is saying that this might not be a reboot after all.

Quote:
"And now in two weeks I'll reunite with ol' friends Kevin Hart & Jack Black and we have the honor to introduce a whole new generation to the amazing world of #JUMANJI. *(for the record we are NOT making a reboot, but rather a continuation of the awesome JUMANJI story). It's also crazy to me how much me, Kev and Jack look like triplets when we're together. 👶🏽👶🏻👶🏿. Man this is gonna be FUN."
http://comicbook.com/2016/08/20/the-...-not-a-reboot/
Old 08-20-2016, 03:49 PM   #8
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger_scout View Post
A few weeks ago, Kevin Hart talked about the film and his working relationship and friendship with Dwayne Johnson as well.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/08/04...jumanji-reboot

However, the Rock is saying that this might not be a reboot after all.

http://comicbook.com/2016/08/20/the-...-not-a-reboot/
That's good, so basically a sequel.
Old 08-20-2016, 03:50 PM   #9
Jephael
That whack job behind you

Not sure I'm all that psyched about this idea. Maybe if they waited another 20 years or so I'd be intrigued, but to be honest it just sounds like another one of Hollywood's pathetic attempts at pandering to the nostalgia craze!

www.jephael.com
Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 11:26 AM   #10
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Karen Gillan joins the cast. The Rock announced it from his facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/DwayneJohns...c_ref=NEWSFEED
Old 08-30-2016, 11:29 AM   #11
TheSkeletonMan939
A New Day, A New Headache

Quote:
(for the record we are NOT making a reboot, but rather a continuation of the awesome JUMANJI story).
So, like, it's a "Son of the Mask" kind of sequel.
Great.
TheSkeletonMan939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 12:08 PM   #12
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSkeletonMan939 View Post
So, like, it's a "Son of the Mask" kind of sequel.
Ugh, the very mention of that name is enough to send a shiver down my soul.

This film is gonna turn out the same way, isn't it?

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 12:17 PM   #13
TheSkeletonMan939
A New Day, A New Headache

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleTitan97 View Post
This film is gonna turn out the same way, isn't it?
Why is it that you and I can see the impending disaster this film will be, but studio moguls can't?
TheSkeletonMan939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 12:24 PM   #14
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSkeletonMan939 View Post
Why is it that you and I can see the impending disaster this film will be, but studio moguls can't?
Because in their minds, $$$> Quality.

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 07:34 PM   #15
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

The Rock shared some concept art of his character today.

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/new...ealed#/slide/1
Old 03-28-2017, 07:07 AM   #17
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

Ooh, like that pic. I'm intrigued about this and will wait to see what they do. At least it's not a reboot which would be kind of stupid to do.

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 07:40 AM   #18
saintsaucey
Hench Mutant

Yeah I'm all in for Karen Gillan and the Rock.
saintsaucey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 12:45 PM   #19
sdp
-

mixed feelings.

Jumanji is more of an entity than just a game so this entity could change depending on the times, that makes sense for it to be a video game if they use that angle but the board game worked just fine, why mess with it.

I'm kind of excited about this movie since it took place inside the game like the cartoon used to and that made sense for a sequel, I mean it's not really a remake but we'll see.

I guess we have Zathura as a sequel in the worst case scenario. It was also weird having all these SJW alt-left people complaining about the wardrove of the girl in the movie... #whytrumpwon
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 12:50 PM   #20
CyberCubed
Overlord

The Rock looks like a black Indianna Jones.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote