The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion > Platinum Dunes TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 06-25-2018, 06:24 AM   #21
Ljwinter
Mouser

Do a legit reboot. New Turtles maybe similar to the look of the Injustice turtles and whole new cast. No need to waste time on origin since most people know how the gist of it. They should just do the City Fall story from the IDW comics. Could definitely get 3 solid movies out of that.
Ljwinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 10:35 AM   #22
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
Come on guys. You can’t seriously tell me a Turtle van is too outlandish but a rocket car with batwings and get-out-of-any-situation features is perfectly fine.
That sounds dangerously close to an invoking of Crisler's Law.

Quote:
Just because Batman is known to his city doesn’t matter. He’s still supposed to keep his identity hidden.
Probably because he's a vigilante human with a (prestigious) private identity... and because the Turtles are none of these things.

Quote:
For all the public knows humans could be driving the turtle van. I’m not saying purposely reveal themselves. It’d be a way to navigate and protect themselves. It worked in 4kids and Nick ‘12.
There is nothing worse than the Turtles adopting branded vehicles. It's like a complete embracing of... "Heyyy, we're a toy franchise for little babies and boy do we loooove it!!"

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 06-25-2018 at 10:41 AM.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 10:39 AM   #23
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Some of these comments are enough to make me weep.
Old 06-25-2018, 01:40 PM   #24
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
We've had this thread 1000 times but alrighty.

Spoiler:
Film 1:

-Ninja Assassin meets TMNT, in that it's purely martial arts goodness, flashing back & forth between the past/present & JP/NY, with The Foot Clan being the primary focus.

-We get a nice chunk of Saki/Yoshi's origins, but not much of the turtles'. I think it'd be far more interesting to get background on Saki/Yoshi as opposed to an April O'neil side story. There can be a quick oozed in the sewer overview at the very start if need be, but where we're dropped into the story, the turtles already know April/Casey & have been at odds with The Foot Clan for some time now.

-The Foot in the modern day are a Yakuza outfit with ninja mercenary stuff as their primary gig, though they pass themselves off as businessmen or whatever. The streets know what's really going on, though. We see how they operate in two different countries, with Saki as the leader of one (NY) & Karai as the other (JP). Shredder works overseas as he'd been banished from the clan for being too brash & having little to no sense of honor, whereas Karai is old-school.

-Have your various fight scenes, like Saki VS. Yoshi (flashback), TMNT VS. petty thugs (Purple Dragons?), TMNT VS. Foot Clan (several times, each on a different scale), & TMNT VS. Shredder. Throw Casey into one or two of the fights, have April be on the sidelines in some capacity. Keep it New Yorky, have 'em duke it out in the subway, the sewer, alleyways, rooftops, etc. High octane combat. These guys ain't Steven Segal, they're Jackie Chan.

-That said, think Jackie Chan is a good starting point. The stunts, the slapstick, fast moves, using the environment as prop fodder, fun humor that isn't overly idiotic. The tone being in line with his late 80's & early 90's stuff would be ideal. Think Police Story, Rumble In The Bronx, etc. mixed with the original Henson turtles flick.

-Have a scene where at some point Leonardo learns of Karai's existence, & come back to it later. Like, once Shredder is bested, they reach out to her to resolve things. She can absorb or takeover the NY Foot Clan, make sure there are no beefs with resentful members, etc. She'd not be all too much of a friend, necessarily, but she's honorable & doesn't want any BS that doesn't benefit her.

-Personally, I'd like to see a new film series take place in the 80's or early 90's. No smart phones, no internet culture, no PC sh*t, just that grimy punk/hip-hop grit from the days they were created. Folks into the TMNT largely are so due to nostalgia anyway, might as well milk it.

Film 2:

-Baxter Stockman X Mousers X Rat King. You can see where I'm going with this. A war in the sewers between rats & mousers, with the turtles at the center of it all. Splinter is at risk, harmed or kidnapped or whatever, as both Baxter & Rat King alike, now aware of his unique existence, want him for nefarious purposes.

-April gets a gig at Stockman's place for the sake of gaining intel. Casey is mostly there in a Raph buddy capacity, maybe they go off to find Rat King together or something.

-In the end, the turtles defeat & make peace with both enemy factions, as both realize they're better off as allies than opponents. Baxter might turn on 'em at some point (like contacting the EPF to report the turtles' existence), but not Rat King, he's a sewer ally now.

Film 3:

-Space. I don't care how or why, but God, we need a GOTG-styled TMNT flick. Gimmie Triceratons, Battle Nexus, Utroms, Fugitoid, anything. Gotta have it. Tie in Bishop or Leatherhead, sure.

Yes, everything you just said, Powder, good stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
“TMNT: Next Gen”

Introducing the offspring of the “O.G” turtles, sporting four brand new mask colors and an online presence as they lurk from the shadows of the sewer AND the internet, in a bid to gain subscribers and positive influence in the war against the tyrannical organization “TheFoot.com” and their mysterious CEO, known only as “Shred-Web”. Join the next gen of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles in couch-surfing adventure like you’ve never seen before. And don’t forget the Pizza!”
Ya know, that sounds exactly like one of those "so crazy, it just might work" type of scenarios. I'd at least read a comic miniseries with this premise, it would be more doable than a movie initially

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Batman has money, employs countless engineers/scientists, owns several factories and can mask his operations through shell companies. That and he needs to keep up with Superman somehow, he is a member of the most well known superhero group in the world after all.

The Turtles are basically filthy hobos who need to keep their very existance as obscure as possible, otherwise it'll be a permanent stay at Area 51.

Is that a good reason why?
That's the best way the differences between Batman and the TMNT have ever been stated, I think we should be able to lay that argument to rest for good now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
I just want a competent movie that gives us a coherent story with some decent martial arts without amateurish camera shaking.

Y'know, a good movie.
You're asking too much, man, you know we can't have nice things!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Some of these comments are enough to make me weep.
Some tears of laughter, some tears of sorrow. Sounds about right for this site
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 02:00 PM   #25
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Also needed: Most screen time devoted to the Turtles.

OotS did better, but there are still human sidekick segments that get far too long after you've seen it a couple of times. Last time I watched that one I found myself fast forwarding though most of those parts just as I do with 2014. (e.g. April and Casey held in the police station, "The Falcon" in his apartment and then trying to find that flash drive in an unnecessarily long scene, and Casey vs B&R toward the end.) Not that they can't have any screen time sans Turtles, but leave it to like a minute or so before we get back to the Turtles, not 5+ or what feels like it.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 02:19 PM   #26
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
You're asking too much, man, you know we can't have nice things!
I'll never stop dreaming
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 05:45 PM   #27
Galactus
Foot Elite

The main things I would like them to do is learn from the lessons of the previous two.

Firstly that making the Fred Wolf show the primary source of inspiration is not the silver bullet for commercial success.

Secondly the idea that the concept of TMNT being inherently ridiculous means they should own it and really lean into it needs to die. The general audience has had thirty years to acclimate to the concept of TMNT that they don't stand out as ridiculous compared to other comic book properties as they once did not to mention while a lot of their initial success I believe is down to the bizarre concept that stood out they are no longer the strangest things in the room when movies about a talking tree and raccoon are huge billion dollar hits. Next to them the turtles seem pretty straightforward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwinter View Post
Do a legit reboot. New Turtles maybe similar to the look of the Injustice turtles and whole new cast. No need to waste time on origin since most people know how the gist of it. They should just do the City Fall story from the IDW comics. Could definitely get 3 solid movies out of that.
While I stand by my belief that TMNT isn't all that much stranger than most comic book properties there is elements of the story that come across as a little screwy to uninitiated that need to be explained and fleshed out. I think both Platinum Dunes prove that short handing elements of the story and characters expecting people to get and care anout them is not reliable.

While the general audience knows the basics of TMNT I don't think the properly know the origin and several variations on it have muddied the waters somewhat. Some very basic things need to laid down; Like is Splinter Hamato Yoshi's pet turned manlike or is he Hamato Yoshi himself turned ratlike. It may not seem important since he's characterized the same either way but it does fundamentally alter his interactions with the Shredder.

I know I'm in a lonely club of one with this one but I'm not sure basing this on IDW is the best idea. There's certainly much worse ideas don't get me wrong and the series almost seems to be written with Hollywood in mind but there's something kinda convoluted and fanboy kewlish about their origins there that the success of the current comic book movies seem to repudiate.

Like the turtles and Splinter are reincarnations of an ancient Japanese warrior and his four sons and they are part of an alien conspiracy super soldier plan. The former is okay and I like that it gives the turtles a mother figure in Tang Shen but both seems a lot to throw at an audience.

Also if we're talking City War why not do the original City At War on which it's based.

Last edited by Galactus; 06-26-2018 at 04:20 AM.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 07:14 PM   #28
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

What I want is Casey ****ing Jones being a badass vigilante with anger issues. Not whiny cop terrible acting Stephen Amell. Also not being scared the first time he sees the turtles like Amell was.
Old 06-25-2018, 07:26 PM   #29
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Only good part in that was the Turtles being equally unimpressed and making fun of him for us.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 09:27 PM   #30
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

If I were the casting directors, here's who I'd want to play the turtles:
  • Ansel Elgort as Leonardo
  • Alden Ehrenreich as Raphael
  • Jeremy Shada as Michelangelo
  • Logan Lerman as Donatello
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 12:13 AM   #31
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
That sounds dangerously close to an invoking of Crisler's Law.

Probably because he's a vigilante human with a (prestigious) private identity... and because the Turtles are none of these things.

There is nothing worse than the Turtles adopting branded vehicles. It's like a complete embracing of... "Heyyy, we're a toy franchise for little babies and boy do we loooove it!!"
I guess you didn’t read my last post on page 1. I’m NOT taking about giving them a branded TMNT car.

I meant something turtle/shell related that’s pretending to be a legitimate public vehicle. Casey Jones could be the driver. I know my comments on Batman made it seem otherwise.
Old 06-27-2018, 09:01 AM   #32
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
I meant something turtle/shell related that’s pretending to be a legitimate public vehicle. Casey Jones could be the driver.
You might need to elaborate more or give an example. You mean like the Shell Cycle, the Turtle Taxi, or what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
The main things I would like them to do is learn from the lessons of the previous two.

Firstly that making the Fred Wolf show the primary source of inspiration is not the silver bullet for commercial success.

Secondly the idea that the concept of TMNT being inherently ridiculous means they should own it and really lean into it needs to die. The general audience has had thirty years to acclimate to the concept of TMNT that they don't stand out as ridiculous compared to other comic book properties as they once did not to mention while a lot of their initial success I believe is down to the bizarre concept that stood out they are no longer the strangest things in the room when movies about a talking tree and raccoon are huge billion dollar hits. Next to them the turtles seem pretty straightforward.

While I stand by my belief that TMNT isn't all that much stranger than most comic book properties there is elements of the story that come across as a little screwy to uninitiated that need to be explained and fleshed out. I think both Platinum Dunes prove that short handing elements of the story and characters expecting people to get and care anout them is not reliable.

While the general audience knows the basics of TMNT I don't think the properly know the origin and several variations on it have muddied the waters somewhat. Some very basic things need to laid down; Like is Splinter Hamato Yoshi's pet turned manlike or is he Hamato Yoshi himself turned ratlike. It may not seem important since he's characterized the same either way but it does fundamentally alter his interactions with the Shredder.

I know I'm in a lonely club of one with this one but I'm not sure basing this on IDW is the best idea. There's certainly much worse ideas don't get me wrong and the series almost seems to be written with Hollywood in mind but there's something kinda convoluted and fanboy kewlish about their origins there that the success of the current comic book movies seem to repudiate.

Like the turtles and Splinter are reincarnations of an ancient Japanese warrior and his four sons and they are part of an alien conspiracy super soldier plan. The former is okay and I like that it gives the turtles a mother figure in Tang Shen but both seems a lot to throw at an audience.

Also if we're talking City War why not do the original City At War on which it's based.
Completely agree. IDW is fine but there are quite a few aspects from the continuity that doesn't sit right with me with. (the origin, numerous canon immigrants for one thing).
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 10:02 AM   #33
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger_scout View Post
If I were the casting directors, here's who I'd want to play the turtles:
Here's who I'd want, both for in the suits/mo-cap and the voices:

* Don't care.
* Doesn't matter.
* Could be anybody.
* Hopefully 5'2" - 5'4" people.
Old 06-27-2018, 10:09 AM   #34
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Here's who I'd want, both for in the suits/mo-cap and the voices:

* Don't care.
* Doesn't matter.
* Could be anybody.
* Hopefully 5'2" - 5'4" people.
I want to see a filmmaker use the same techniques from The Hobbit trilogy... film the four Turtle actors by themselves, then merge them in with the rest of the people. Then you don't have to worry about the actors' height, you just make the Turtles come out at 4' or 5' tall in post.

It worked for Bilbo and Gollum.
Old 06-27-2018, 10:10 AM   #35
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
I want to see a filmmaker use the same techniques from The Hobbit trilogy... film the four Turtle actors by themselves, then merge them in with the rest of the people. Then you don't have to worry about the actors' height, you just make the Turtles come out at 4' or 5' tall in post.

It worked for Bilbo and Gollum.
Yeah. It's not really an issue on the back end.
Old 06-27-2018, 10:32 AM   #36
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

It needs The Shredder. I don't want to see a made for movie villain. It automatically lessens the movie. A part of the film is "who is the villain going to be?". A cowardly warlord and a arrogant British arms dealer then an immortal with a wrapped vision who reforms.? No thanks!

Perhaps Rat King incorporated one way or anther.

Designs similar to the first three films for the TMNT.

Find a way of incorporating the black and white comics and the 1987 cartoon in ways that make sense. The original film did that. The second did as well to a lesser extent.
Old 06-27-2018, 11:07 AM   #37
AquaParade
Banned

Right now, I'm really hoping someone gets a good sit down interview with Kevin Eastman soon.
Once again, I know he has no control over how the upcoming film turns out, but I bet he's heard more than we have about it.
And sure, his word isn't always the most reliable when it comes to TMNT - he's a big supporter of anyone trying to honor his creation - but you can see some disappointment in his face when people bring up the recent Platinum Dunes films, so I'd like to hear his take on whatever may be coming next.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 11:17 AM   #38
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Right now, I'm really hoping someone gets a good sit down interview with Kevin Eastman soon.
Once again, I know he has no control over how the upcoming film turns out, but I bet he's heard more than we have about it.
And sure, his word isn't always the most reliable when it comes to TMNT - he's a big supporter of anyone trying to honor his creation - but you can see some disappointment in his face when people bring up the recent Platinum Dunes films
That's surprising. Kevin Eastman has gone on the record and said the PD movies possess "the darker edge of the comic books."

http://www.thenational.ae/blogs/scen...-kevin-eastman
Old 06-27-2018, 11:27 AM   #39
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

I would like to see:

1. The film continue the story of the first two films rather than be a reboot

2. Bebop, Rocksteady, Krang and Baxter all making a re-appearance.

3. A time travel story to Ancient Japan.

4. The introduction of Hamato Yoshi and the history of the Foot Clan into the lore.

5. Slighty tweaked turtle designs so they are less hulk looking.

6. Not having too many characters. B , R and Krang are ok in my opinion, but Karai, Vernon and Casey weren't needed as much in OOTS so I don't expect to see them again.

7. Less Potty and sexual humour and more OT humour, namely some Shredder-Krang interactions, puns, fourth wall breaks, B and R goofing up etc.

8. Possibly an inside look into Dimension X, might be difficult if the third is a time travel story and might have to be one or the other, but maybe both could work somehow.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 11:42 AM   #40
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
That's surprising. Kevin Eastman has gone on the record and said the PD movies possess "the darker edge of the comic books."

http://www.thenational.ae/blogs/scen...-kevin-eastman
Yeah, you're right, but that was three years ago. Take a look at my quote from the other thread, if you get a chance. He's definitely backed the PD films in the past, but I think he's seen the reaction over time and it may have colored his perception a bit. In the second link, Kevin is asked by a child if he enjoys the new PD films, which he essentially avoids answering, giving only the slightest nod to the second film, in favor of saying what he'd like to see next.

Quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oz0dP_7DB84

Wow. Just the other day, Kevin mentioned that early in the production of the 2014 film, they had talks with Henson about going back to the suits. Very interesting. To hear, go about six minutes in.

It's hard to understand, but it almost seems like he implies that suits, or at least a strong focus on family "with an edge" could be a path for the future. It's possible Kevin knows something we don't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKRu508pdIM

Here's another recent video. A child interviewing Kevin asks if he enjoys the new tmnt movies. Pretty funny. Kevin responds that if they were to do a new one, he'd like it to be animated but more like the old movies and/or comics. Very interesting. We know Kevin isn't in control of these films, but given that he was consulted early on in the 2014 film, as evidenced by him mentioning they spoke to Brian Henson, in the previous video I posted, it's very possible he's alluding to some of the discussions going on behind the scenes, in both videos.

If so (and it's a big "if"), it appears the studio is searching for a way get some of that "edge" back, but still bring the whole family to the theater.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
from nm to mw, seppuku