The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 02-02-2019, 07:42 PM   #1
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

D&D & Tabletop

Well, now we have a place to tell our tales (and maybe even share videos from other peoples stories) from the table.

And I guess I'll start things off with a couple stories with one of my two characters. A goblin named Chovolona, who has the classic "my tribe was slaughtered and now I drink to keep the trauma at bay" backstory.

It got to the point that the other characters didn't trust her to carry potions. But, she was (accidentally) also the bad@$$ shot with a shortbow. Whose thing was the ol' "aim for the eyes".

So, I didn't quite have a full idea why the other players were so excited when she blinded a Nothic. And then I saw the picture.

I haven't played Chovlona in a while, but she also has an "Emotional Support Warg" named Fogbog.

Right now, it's been a halfling wizard that was dreamed into existence by a Beholder. She's been a lot of fun. But I will tell her stories later.
Old 02-02-2019, 09:17 PM   #2
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Oh, cool! Was thinking of doing this if no one else did. Ok, I'll go.

My "main" pc/npc (I use him as a support character when I DM) is a drow bard named Lothir. His full name is Lothir Ustdalharn E'Terrindar, which basically translates to Lothir Firstson of House E'Terrindar. He's the prince and (AWOL) heir of the First House of the Argonian Empire. He also hates his parents. His father is the self-styled "Pirate King", who rose to power in the drow lands after having been cursed to become one by the elven gods when he murdered his brothers, father, and finally his wife, all in the pursuit of becoming head of his family's noble estate. After joining a drow House after being Cursed, he built up his own fleet of ships, followers, and allies, staged a coup of the drow matriarchy, and then slaughtered the families of every House that refused to follow his new regime. Most fell in line, while those who refused were exterminated to the last child.

He also kept an elven woman named Ravyn as his plaything, and from her Lothir's older half-sister Morganna was born. The two siblings are bitter enemies, as she hates him simply for existing, believing he usurped her (nonexistant) birthright as heir. Morganna's mother seved as Lothir's wetnurse and nanny as a child (and eventually as his lover later), and it was from her that he learned to value love and compassion, and to hate slavery and cruelty. She was taken as a sacrifice to the drow goddess when Aldan discovered she was pregnant after he'd been absent for an extended time, and when Lothir's mother (a high priestess) determined the unborn twins carried his blood, all three were killed. For this reason- the murders of his beloved and the unborn children- he hates his father more than anyone in the world.

His mother, Matron Ardra, was formerly the head of their House until Aldan (his father) took over, and she seethes with hate and desires to undermine her husband's rule by manipulating the boy to her own ends. She turned one of his tutors into a drider as punishment for disobedience while forcing him to watch, treated him little better than the slaves simply because he was male, and later sent a trio of bounty hunters to capture him after he fled his home. She was also the one who slew his love and former nursemaid, so he is bitter about her hand in the murder, though it was at his father's command.

He has befriended a dragon he was supposed to kill as a rite of passage, been kissed by a goddess, faced an infestation of energy-draining bugs, been "executed" for murders he didn't commit (he faked being dead!), killed in a duel with his sister (he got better!) and been abducted to a demon's wedding. Among other things.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 10:50 PM   #3
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I think my favorite thing about Tami is the current group she's with.

She's actually been in two different campaigns. One was completed with the party all dying, and being given a choice to move on to the next live, go to heaven, or to to another world. The rest of the party imparted their inventory to her and she was allowed to ask for any item she wanted beforehand; she asked for levitating boots so she can float.

After much consideration, Tami was moved to another world because she was on the ground sobbing hysterically because she was afraid her dad would turn into a Death Tyrant (also she's fourteen), while the others decided to all become woodland animals.

Now she's with a Dragonborn monk who was raised by wolves (Wolfrick) and married Simic hybrids (Deche and Lex).

Deche records everything that happens around her, being a researcher. Wolfrick is finally going out into the world for the first time and everything is new and exciting, but he keeps a list of all the things Tami has done that is weird. Lex...is best described with:

Unlike the other group, they don't really question her basically being the child of a Beholder, but she hasn't divulged other details of her history to them. She's kind of a lawful neutral, I think, which is weird given the environment she was raised in. But even the Beholder that created her was weird for his race. Tami exists because he dreamed of the idyllic life he wanted, and what lives a more wholesome than a halfling?

I'm pretty sure she ended up being declared the leader of the group because she's so loaded, she's paying for the repairs of the manor Volo dumped on them when he couldn't reward them for saving his friend.
Spoiler:
We didn't even get points for killing the Mindflayer in that mission, because they didn't kill the Mindflayer. Tami panicked after a TPK attack just barely missed them and she summoned Daddy for help (rolled odd or even for success). Daddy took care of it.
Old 02-02-2019, 11:24 PM   #4
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

OMG, Volo was involved? ROFL!! I am quite familiar with the *ahem* "guide" of FR fame. As well as his connection (unfortunately for the Old Sage) to Elminster.

My other pc/npc is Beznik Bogglewort, a curmudgeonly gnome wizard (fire elementalist/pyromancerprestige) who is something of an alchemist and tinkerer. He is a pyromaniac, dangerous enough on its own, but he is also nearsighted- and a clutz. Accident prone and rather absent-minded. One of the party's tropes at this point has become the "throw the gnome" tactic, because they KNOW that something is bound to blow up when he lands! Since he is an alchemist who specializes in fire, well.... that, and he LOVES to watch things burn anyway with his spells, but often burns them inadvertantly with his potions and alchemic items! He's been thrown out of several towns for doing just that. Gets caught in the middle of a tavern brawl, or accidentally blows up his shop taking several others with it two or three times, and, you get the idea. It's not that he WANTS to destroy things, he just is clumsy and half-blind, with a habit of getting lost in his thoughts at inoportune moments.

What makes him even more fun to play is that he has a familiar who is a mechanical ferret named Chamomile, who can roll up into a ball to be carried around in a pocket or pouch. I modeled him after an ermine of the same name feom Negima, minus the attitude and talking. And yes, I know he kind of sounds like a pokemon. That was an unintentional but humorous coincidence.

Old 02-03-2019, 01:21 AM   #5
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I would hope Volo is involved, we were doing the Dragon Heist campaign (with some sprinkles of homebrew missions in there; we do have a manor to fix up, so we gotta take the money we can get. We even made friends with the poltergeist that haunts it.)

It will be a long time before they meet the Xanathar, but I'm really excited for it. Right now, we're just know about the gang war and how the Xanathar gang was murdering elves at the Waterdeep docks. For which Tami had to accept the reward for, since she was voted in as leader in a split second.
Lots of glancing around before "Lex" finally shouted "This child who's wise beyond her years!"

Here's a rough idea of her design
Spoiler:

With some struggle at the bottom of the robe...???
And not doing her signature "hands over head" display of magic, because I drew this before I decided that would be a cool idea

She really only has one eye, the eye patch just covers empty skin. Her skull would look like One Eyed Willy's in The Goonies.

Last edited by Utrommaniac; 02-03-2019 at 02:14 AM.
Utrommaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 03:44 PM   #6
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Not really familiar with that particular adventure campaign, but I have enough of the Volo's Guides from earlier editions and other source books (including a fair number of Forgotten Realms novels/anthologies) to know of him and Xanathar both. Wait- is Xanathar her dad??? Cause he's probably the most famous/powerful beholder in lore. Iirc, he was even featured in one of the early handheld games for the Nintendo DS color(I think).

Old 02-03-2019, 03:50 PM   #7
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Eye of the Beholder on Game Boy Advance, I got that game. It's not very good it's not a port of the original DOS game from 1991 but it shares the same story beat
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 04:36 PM   #8
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Yup , that's the one! I dunno why I thought it was DS. I enjoyed it, it wasn't half bad for what it was.

Old 02-03-2019, 05:02 PM   #9
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Not really familiar with that particular adventure campaign, but I have enough of the Volo's Guides from earlier editions and other source books (including a fair number of Forgotten Realms novels/anthologies) to know of him and Xanathar both. Wait- is Xanathar her dad??? Cause he's probably the most famous/powerful beholder in lore. Iirc, he was even featured in one of the early handheld games for the Nintendo DS color(I think).
Her dad's name is Xeo; he's not the Xanathar (fortunately). He has his own little group, but prefers to be reclusive. He lets Tami have a bit of a long leash, which is a bit unusual considering the way Beholders "are".
Especially since Tami is to Xeo what the fish is to Xanathar.

Xeo's a bit of a puppy compared to Xanathar, I think.

Anyway, I like to watch people share their D&D stories and this...this set is some of my favorites

And also Puffin Forest's stories

(This made me research Aboleths and I kinda want to play a game with an encounter eventually)

Last edited by Utrommaniac; 02-03-2019 at 10:52 PM.
Old 02-04-2019, 02:50 PM   #10
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

There's a series of videos called "D&D _____(Redneck/Florida/Christmas/Conspiracy Theorist/etc) Edition" on you-tube, which are absolutely hilarious. It's a group role-playing as if in a D&D game, but with all sorts of RL situations, and pretty much hits every trope on the head with a sledgehammer. We love them.

Yesterday's game went- well. The party turned away from the tunnel I had originally wanted them to go down (gargoyle encounter) into a side cavern that basically just circumvented part of the longer route to the same place, so I threw a goblin camp into it. Predictably, the party attacked them, even though the goblins were basically just minding their own business sitting around a campfire getting drunk and having dinner. Hubby's ninja split one in half from head to crotch, while masquerading as a ghost, and sent the rest into a panic, which was promptly followed by a tentacle spell from our kitsune (foxfolk) arcanist. Much goblin- slaughtering ensued. I'm fairly certain they all just slipped a bit toward chaotic evil, since there was no threat, and they basically murdered the goblins without reason or provocation beyond "goblins".... Hmmmm.

So then they took over the campsite to reconnoiter, and the arcanist popped off to research a spell to find the skull they are after, and when he came back, I sent them through another tunnel (short-cut to the end, * sigh*) where they *ahem* FINALLY encountered the gargoyles I'd been wanting to spring on them earlier. I just changed the location of the encounter so I could still use them. We ended with the battle about to begin, just after I had described the gargoyles springing into flight.... (There was a big fat one, an old-looking one with a scar on one eye, a dog-like one, and one with horns and large wings. Yes, I described the Wyvern clan.... lol!)

Old 02-07-2019, 09:53 PM   #11
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Since there's enough of us playing D&D, I was thinking about it being fun if we managed to figure out some kind of online group game. Since obviously we can't convene physically on one spot. International lines might make it a little harder.

(MAYBE me and Duckie, but the DFW Metroplex is so big that even that would be difficult)

I've been getting a DM itch and have been wanting to test it out with the Lost Mines of Phandelver that comes with the Starter Kit. Which my original DM group came so close to beating until internal issues made it fall apart, and now I play with DM's family. That's where the current fun is.

On another note: How into Beholders am I?
...I designed my own variety: Oracle

Or, what happens when a Beholder dreams of a Sphinx. It has more perception of the future than an ordinary Beholder, but most elements are still vague. For instance, they'll know where and when something will break, but not know exactly what. Then, next Tuesday, two Kobolds are having a massive, noisy breakup in the Keep's mess hall at noon. So it doesn't necessarily have to be an object...or body part.

More capacity to see the future than a normal Beholder, but less than a Sphinx.

Last edited by Utrommaniac; 02-07-2019 at 10:14 PM.
Old 02-08-2019, 06:19 AM   #12
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Today we're playing our bi-weekly Friday game, it's a 4th edition game that we do over Skype with MapTools since most of the players are on different countries. We have one in UK, one in Germany and one that was in Poland, but she's moved to UK and lives in the same city as out UK player.

The party consists of Eladrin Swordmage (me), Hengeyokai Rogue, Drow Bard and Dwarf Fighter just to break the Fey streak lol

Las session my Eladrin was summoned to return home to the Feywild by her parents. Turns out there wasn't an actual emergency. It was due to something that happened like the second session we ever played, where we attended a ball and my character danced badly in front of a member of the Summer Court. And the rumor had come out and my character was the laughing stock back home.

So she was urged home to have a 12 year schooling with a dance instructor and stop being a Swordmage and rather go into the family biz to be a full Wizard after the dance course.

She and the party (which was treated badly as "servants") ran away in the night after she said goodbye to her younger brother who was devastated that she was running away, but my character have a tyrannical kingdom to crush.

Tuesday Games have been two sessions with just a long ass combat. It's the game I'm DMing. The group avoided the "quest giver" and just stumbled into the whole ordeal in the worst case scenario as well, invoking a encounter combat that ended up being 4 planned encounters in one, where three level 3 characters fought 5 bandits, 7 Thugs, 2 Gnolls, 1 Knight and 1 Veteran. They managed to escape killing the bandits and one thug. Next session they returned to the bad guys with a couple of npcs to help, they also got help from the Knight who had second thoughts about the group he had joined as it turned out that they wanted to bring a whole band of Gnolls back to life and destroy a small village. The fighting went alright and when they where going to the hideput's basement where the stasis Gnolls where hidden they had to fight a deranged Paladin and a Pile of Corpses that spew out 2d2 Zombies dealing itself 1d8 damage.

The group didn't get that they had to kill the Pile, and cue 20+ Zombies...

And I need to continue convert the Saturday game characters from 4e to 3.5.

I've decided to bring into the "new" game/canon (it's also a soft retcon as well as edition change) 3 of the 4 characters I had. I'm not playing my bard in 3.4, pre-4th edition Bards sucks (except for 1st edition Bard which is in return pretty OP ) The bard sucks, it’s a sucky wizard and a sucky fighter and a sucky rouge, it’s not worth it just to get Bardic Knowledge, which is a shame cause I love Bards.

So I got my Hengeyokai Executioner, Hamadryad Cleric and Dwarf Fighter.

And I think the fighter will be the easiest to change over, she was a Battlerager Fighter with the Dark Sun Mercenary theme; so basically a dirty fighting Fighter with a lot of prone-ing and shoving powers, so that'll be easy enough.

The Dryad was a motherly healing Cleric with the Unseelie Agent theme, so she seemed unarmed since she could conjure a shadow-wrought weapon with a short reset cooldown. The DM is working out some Uneeslie features since another player also have that Theme. Clerics are boring in 3.5 (and any pre-4e edition), but she was built to be mostly a healer so I think that'll translate pretty well.

Then the one I bitched about in the Gear Grind thread, my favorite character in this campaign. Way of the Ninja Executioner Class is such a treat to play, and I've pumped up defense Feats and Improved Initiative, so her secondary defenses are pretty high, and she does 1d10 + 1d8 + Mod with as reach weapon and can prone, add poisons and is just overall ridiculous. Like she has 35' speed and in dog form it's increased to 45'.

And she's a fey golden retriever that was kicked out of the assassin league cause she was too bubbly and not serious enough, but when push comes to shove she's very capable and lacks a moral compass in combat.

While there are some major nerfing, I think she'll translate fairly okay-ish as soon as I get used to dish less damage, have lower defenses and that poisons are absolutely terrible in 3.5
Old 02-08-2019, 01:47 PM   #13
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Kappa, NO ONE goes into playing a bard to be a "bada$$" wizard, rogue, or fighter. (Although mine excels at melee, thanks to using the dodge/mobility/spring attack and two-weapon feat trees, as well as the dervish prestige!) What bards are good for is support and buffs. Especially with bardic music and inspiration. Give a bard a few sonic spells (shout, sonic weapon, and animate instrument, just for a few), then let him use a dancing sword and a few heal spells for emergencies, and you're golden. They can be nearly as stealthy as rogues- but best to use an illusion or two and disguise-type skills and diplomacy- and can also talk the party out of some sticky situations. That's their specialty, after all, not high-powered magic or tanking. Though Lothir has a VERY nasty spell called Bonefiddle that basically saws through an enemy's ribs with a giant bone fiddlebow, with agonizingly horrific (and musical!) results. But he rarely uses it, as it IS an evil spell.

I've pretty much turned my bard into a whirling tornado of blades, using a bladedance style that requires constant movement between attacks, so he's never in one spot even for a single round. Tumble and the dodge tree help with this, as does weapon finesse and combat reflexes.

For bards, it's pretty much all in how you build them. There are a few great variants that have better magic ability, or more stealth, but it's really all in what concept you go with. Virtuoso and loremaster both lean more on the knowledge and performance skills, while dervish, bladesinger, and spelldancer all have more combat ability, the later two with a bit of magical buffs thrown in.

That said, they really oonly work well if there is at least one heavy-hitter in melee, a combat caster who is good with AOE spells, and some kind of buff/heal specialist. Don't really NEED a rogue in the party if there is a bard, though it depends on what skills you tend to use. I recommend high ranks in stealth(move silent, slight of hand, disguise, etc) acrobatics (tumble, jump, climb) and perception(listen, spot, search, and maybe sense motive). And at least one good perform skill. Mine uses dance, sing, and strings. (He's multi-talanted. But he has to be for his combat style....)

Old 02-08-2019, 10:53 PM   #14
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Today was my game day!

We did chapter three of Dragon Heist, which mostly went according to plan.

Our main deviations involved Lex and Wolfrick (Symic hybrid and Dragonborn) putting their shared braincell together to "interrogate" the guy who set us up for the Toad Quest we decided not to pursue, as it was a large "NOPE". It...ended up being a big comedy of errors with Lex making bad rolls. It came down to the guy (whose name I don't remember now???) trying to fight Wolfrick, his near arrest, and then finally letting him go once he did reveal that he wanted our tavern like some kind of Scooby Doo villain, until Volo outbid him for it.

One of the city guards kept dumping money on Lex (knowing our reputation, having already performed some small heroics). Then it turned out the money was from Jarlaxel, who we have no trust in!

But...we need the money and we can't keep relying on Tami to fund the tavern's upkeep.

Meanwhile, Tami and Lex's wife Desce...just interviewed for staff at the tavern. We kinda skipped the speech on that, it just went well.

So then, in hopes of getting spoilerific information on the events that happened in chapter three, Tami and Desce tried to talk to Volo if he knew anything about a particular important item we found, and he knew nothing.
(and also spared Tami from having to explain why we didn't want to have to resort to relying on her dad if anything went sour).

But we did get to invite him to the grand opening of her tavern.

(Where I hope the fifteen year old can get into the grog and get so drunk she shrieks "Let's invite my dad!" and hurls her summoning amulet to the floor. Where then her Beholder dad has to hit everyone with sleep and amnesia rays...but rumors still spread...)

Also, Dingo Doodles hit part five of her D&D story and...ohhh boy
Old 02-09-2019, 09:29 PM   #15
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

So, has anyone made their own campaign?

I've been trying to figure out my first (a one shot), but don't know entirely were to start.

Plot hook?
The newest members of the Xanathar Theives Guild to know their leader’s identity are tasked with replacing their Master’s dead fish before he notices it is gone.
Old 02-17-2019, 12:05 AM   #16
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Well, I went to a one-shot at a game shop today. Intended to go to a friend's game, but she (and most of the other players at that place) were at someone's birthday.

So, we did a Ravinia-centered one shot. That went bottom up pretty fast, when the four other players turned against each other after completing a sketchy task.

My character was a minotaur bard (a REALLY REALLY good performer too. +6 advantage on performance!), who tried and failed to talk everyone down, then gave up one smokescreens went off and he just left them to fight.

Eventually, he did give a report on the situation and was given a passport back to Faerûn, where he was trying to return. Where he landed near Waterdeep.

The name of his game: "Um, I'm partially a cow. Can I go home?"

My favorite exchange, though:
DM: He (my Minotaur) is playing the fiddle.
Me: Oh, he plays double bass.
DM: He's playing Minotaur fiddle!

(And he rolled like a 25 or something with his performance check.)

Last edited by Utrommaniac; 02-17-2019 at 12:10 AM.
Old 02-17-2019, 03:44 PM   #17
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Hmm, needs more cow bell.... Lol!

As a matter of fact, my game is a mostly homebrew campaign, with some older modules adapted either in part or whole, but always taylored to fit me realm. Which if I'm being totally honest, is kind of a mix of Forgotten Realms, Greyhawk, and a bit of Dragonlance (Kryyn) and Eberron. I have entire kingdoms set up for everything from Oriental Adventures characters/cultures, to Ravenloft's gothic horror. (There's a forest inhabited almost entirely by lycanthropes, and I have gyspy bands that travel around the central kingom I start from.) I've even got Arabian, Italian/Roman, dark elven, and Aztec cultures.

Most of the adventures I run center around two or three main kingdoms- Deepvale, Ironhold, and Kalleris. Deepvale is a wealthy trade and agricultural hub in a huge rift valley between the giant desert land of Simara and the mountains to the west. Ironhold is a dwarven city in those mountains (one of several), with rich veins of iron, mithril, and silver in their deep mines. And then on the other side of the mountains, in a large valley where the mountain range splits into two chains, is Kalleris, which is a lush green land of farming and sheep-herding communities, ruled by a central High Lord, a bit like Ireland or the Scottish highlands in flavor.

Currently, our party is trekking through the Underdark looking for a skull (one of four) made of gold. The other three are silver, emerald, and diamond. They were sent by a shaman of a tribe of Triceratopian lizardfolk to retrieve it as a peace offering to a neighboring tribe of drow they are at war with. Since the drow had originally hired the party to help eradicate the lizardfolk, but the lizardfolk are mostly peaceful and are the only ones of their kind, the party is trying to parlay to keep the Triceratopians from going extinct, while still helping the drow get what they want. (Basically, stopping the raids by angry lizardfolk looking for revenge for several tribemembers taken as slaves or used for magical experiments by drow "exploration" excursions.) What the party doesn't know yet is that the skulls are artifacts that when united can be used as a weapon of great destructive power.....

Old 02-17-2019, 04:41 PM   #18
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Ah cool.

Tami might actually be cool to have for that. She knows Deep Speech and would be considered a Beholder in the Underdark. Which would make her safer and more dangerous, depending on the outlook.
Old 02-17-2019, 06:01 PM   #19
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
So, has anyone made their own campaign?
First time I DM'ed I created a homebrew campaign, with a map over the kingdom it mostly took place in; Mith-Thoron.

We played over skype as I and some players was in UK while the rest was in Norway, and we used MapTools for rolling and combat. It's a pretty good program when it works, we had to use a extra program that simulates LAN connection so that people could connect to the server we had. But, it's great for macro work, and having a few of the players being interesting in coding we had some pretty crazy macros that recognized and did the math for critical hits, taking damage and various modifiers for attacks.

My memory is pretty hazy on what the campaign truly was about, as a lot of it was winged on the fly. But in rough strokes: Orcus was pulling the strings to achieve true Godhood as his trusted Death Knights (Damodar from the D&D movie, Hulk Hogan and Ultimate Warrior rip-offs ) was looking for a God Machine that can grant Godhood.

And there was a Elven Wizard who almost attained Godhood from the God Machine, but was sealed in her spellbook 2000 years ago was plotting to gain freedom with help from her Lich sister.

The group started very basic, but it got wilder and wilder, as clearing out a abandoned Wizard academy turned into saving the world. They had to battle Death Knights, Liches, Lolth herself and her army of invading Drow, Their own party member who tried to take over his former cult, dealing with human Wizards being out of their mind and dealing with Jamfalcon "Muffinbeard" Shieldhearth; a out of his mind über Wizard who was sealed away for 2000 years (in my campaign he was the inventor of the Girdle of Femininity/Masculinity).

And after collecting artifacts to get boons from Pelor, Sehanine, Corellon and Raven Queen, they finally killed Orcus himself on his own home plane (and catching his essence to use as a power source). They had to fight Orcus on the Material Plane and Orcus Empowered (a official beefier version of Orcus) in the Abyss. This fight was pretty awesome as we had jumped off MapTools and played traditionally with miniatures, and the guy playing Garon have the Orcus mini.

We cycled through a lot of PCs and we started on level 5 and ended the campaign on level 30 (max for 4th edition) Where the final party members had each a epic conclusion.

Spoiler:
Former Bard-now Paladin of Corellon, Lady Lucy of Sylviath. She's a Drow (raised by a adventuring party and was the most good person in the original group line-up) that became the Goddess of Rebellion and started a nation populated by renegade Drow. She was the only original party member that was played all the way to the end of the campaign, she also got a huge following of Drow that she dubbed "The Ducklings". She became a paladin after dying and encountered Corellon himself.

Garon deBrie, a human Warlord. He usurped the throne of Mith-Thoron from the useless king who hailed from a great line of warriors all the way to the Original King Grey who was a adventuring party member of Muffinbeard. Garon ruled as a divine king, and married a Eladrin Noble who had aided the party.

Lona the Lord Lady Knight Emperor Overlord of Mastery of Masterness in Awesome Shiny Lordness of The Elemental Chaos. She's a Void-Soul Genasi Wizard who squired the Five Books of Ultimate Truth, got herself a Drow Priestess as a girlfriend and started up the Wizard Academy as Archmagister that the campaign started with. if the game ever got a sequel she might have been the next big bad as she was quite morally dubious and chaotic.

Blade of Justice, a winged Avenger of Erathis. He always wore a mask covering his face and was very Lawful and not a good sharer of personal stuff. He was a long time tormented by the Avatar of Vecna (she looked like Jessica Rabbit with a creepy eye and hand) and taunted him with gifts if he revealed his face to her. When the group killed Orcus, Blade poofed into dust and his soul became a part of Erathis.

Notable mention PCs are:

Spoiler:
Leonard the Shadar-Kai Wizard, a former Tharizdun with a horrible sense of direction sense. He was almost possessed by the Elven Wizard by reading her spellbook, he ended up selling the original king's crown for a fortune and settled down in his own Wizard tower.

Ruse the Psion. This guy was a Changeling, who for some reason disgused himself as a Eladrin, and just by sheer luck he wasn't found out as he kept his secret through the campaign with "I can't feystep casue I got a birth defect" and always serving away from Lucy's questions who was educated in the Feywild.

Thoradin, Dwarven Cleric of Moradin. He got cursed by a Belt of Femininity/Masculinity where it also changed your race. He became a Wood-Elf as well as a lady.

Spectre, a Revenant Avenger (Later Assassin when it came out). He was a member of a Raven Queen cult that very devoted to undead slaying, and he didn't stop despite becoming one. The player was That Guy, and created a lot of animosity and drama in the party. When the player left, the character took over his own cult, and the party had to destroy said cult and they ended up killing Spectre.

The old map:

Spoiler:
Castle Grey
The City of the King of Mith-Thoron. A large city surrounding the mighty castle, mainly populated by Humans, Dwarves and a few Half-Elven merchants.
Deepiron City
A melting pot of people, in the old times it was a city of Darwen kin only. Now it's ruled by the Chief of the Mith-Thoron Dwarves, but he is a subject of the Human King. Elves of any kind are not welcomed here.
Crystal Forest
The regent of the Elves, now a hostile place for any non-pointed ears. The current regent of the Elves declare the peace treaties over, there are still however many Elves that still pledge their allegiance to the old king.
Port Redway
It is the largest port city in the land, it have a beautiful facade but crime and poverty are lurking prominent in the background

Smaller Cities
Grey Town
The oldest port city in the land, in it's past it was notoriously known for slave trade until a group of adventurers stopped it and slavery was banned by law.
Riverside
A ciry of trade, built halfway on a lake, this city's majority of residence is Halflings. Wonderful goods can be found in this marvelous but protected city.
Alfhaven
The Elven friendly town, residence of 2 of the remaining adventurers that stopped slavery. the toen have had it's ups and downs but are usually the typical quiet town.
Wickervale
A logging town, the lands most trusted lumber supply due to it's contract with the local Elves. it was a quiet town until recently it got overrun by an undead scourge, now trapped in a never ending struggle to survive.
Sparrow Bay
A pirate port city, it have it's own laws and rules. A perfect place for the roguish and those with secrets, and loot to sell.
Dvergi Valley
A all Dwarf city, strong followers of Pelor thought the lands main deity is Bahamut.
Espa
A city close by the coast, a city wholly devoted to magics and the Arcana, a must see place for Mages and Sorcerers.
Quartz Hammer
A Dwarven town, known for it's training of top class Paladins and accepts all races that want to learn.
Ravenholm
a village almost forgotten, they abhor magics and live a strict lifestyle devoting their life to their deity.
Bluehaven
A crossroads town in a swamp, used to be a big trading town. located near a river running through coast to coast, it still lives of trading but it's glory days are past.

I do want to revisit the setting again. The party did travel outside of the Mith-Thoron border to a desert country that is the neighbor lands, so there was more.

But with so much forgotten it's a bit discouraging. Although I'd do a significant time jump, either 500 years or 800, so that no PC still lives by natural means.
Old 02-17-2019, 06:23 PM   #20
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I wanted to make a campaign around the Xanathar's inner circle sending their newest members out to get a replacement for its fish before it noticed it was dead...but then I found there was an even better version of basically the same thing and works with Dragon Heist, which my main group is playing.

And Tami is a bit of a "Syldar" herself, so that would be a great game to have her in.

I am trying to ponder her adulthood, though. And where exactly she stands in all the Beholder varieties; she'd probably be considered more of a "Spectator" than a true "Beholder", with her willingness to be around or even befriend other creatures and her capability to venture farther than most other Beholder varieties would. Also in an event in which she could grow eyestalks, she would only go up to four. And cover them with a turban of some kind (with one poking out disguised as a gem)

Last edited by Utrommaniac; 02-18-2019 at 10:55 AM.