The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: All we needed was Baxter's laboratory to be called Botany Bay...
Great Fight Scenes! 38 54.29%
Aw... Dark Raph should have been longer... 29 41.43%
Mondo Gecko's so.... mondo tiny. 3 4.29%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-03-2015, 01:04 PM   #81
Vicky82
Emperor

IGN review

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2015/05/0...animals-review

Vicky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 01:08 PM   #82
Ninturtle
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
The Shellraiser is back? When and how did that happen? It was destroyed at the end of season 2. I believe the writers' sense of continuity is slipping...

It is pretty lame that nobody stayed under Shredder's control, I was hoping Slash or Raph would remain mind controled so there could be a couple of episodes dedicated to freeing them. But no, it's another self contained episode, about the only thing we get is knowing how the mind control works. And why didn't Shredder take the opportunity to ask Slash and Rockwell where the Turtle lair is?
Donnie said he fixed it in this episode and he said he was working on it in this episode too.
Ninturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 01:13 PM   #83
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky82 View Post
Looks like that IGN review, Echo what some have felt about this episode.
Old 05-03-2015, 01:17 PM   #84
Vicky82
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
Looks like that IGN review, Echo what some have felt about this episode.
it was another brain washing episode as we had similar episodes in the past, so that was the main reason he gave it less points.

Old 05-03-2015, 01:23 PM   #85
aliena
Hench Mutant

Quote:
The reason why TigerClaw was able to take down the Mutanimals, Is cause hes an expert in martial arts, The Mutanimals have no martial arts training, And there fights are more like street brawls.
That's true TigerClaw. I always think of Slash and Leatherhead as being so big and strong that I think they could take anyone down. Tigerclaw is also an assassin. I tend to forget that at times.
aliena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 01:24 PM   #86
kelligrafie
Stone Warrior

Them fight scenes though.

Nearly fell out of my bunkbed with excitement.
Old 05-03-2015, 01:26 PM   #87
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliena View Post
That's true TigerClaw. I always think of Slash and Leatherhead as being so big and strong that I think they could take anyone down. Tigerclaw is also an assassin. I tend to forget that at times.
It takes someone whose at his level or higher, To take him down, Even the Turtles can take down TigerClaw at times.
Old 05-03-2015, 01:28 PM   #88
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

I honestly don't know why you all thought this was going to be an epic or a two-parter episode with the type of series this is. You know that this is not a cartoon that is known for having some of the most deepest and darkest plotlines for a TMNT series. I'm afraid a lot of you got your hopes up too high to think this was going to be anything like the "Dark Leo" arc (especially when IDW is the one thing they don't adapt from). My advice for you is to realize that while this show is great, try to maintain from getting your hopes up. The higher your hopes are, the likely you'll be disappointed. You'll just have to accept this show for what it is, an action-comedy.

The episode at best was decent. CC was right that the fight scenes were great but the idea of Raph turning evil because of the Mind Control Serum was so obvious, that it's not even a shocker.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 01:28 PM   #89
aliena
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomtasticFantasy View Post
Do you read the IDW comics? It may not be animated or anything like the show but the writing is great and may be more of what you're looking for. Friend got me into them recently and I have been marathon reading. On #40 now.
I totally second this. I've been getting the books and I'm caught up to #40 as well. The City Fall arc is hands down my favorite part, but I just love the whole thing. Sometimes I mix up what happens to them with the Nick show.

Quote:
It takes someone whose at his level or higher, To take him down, Even the Turtles can take down TigerClaw at times.
Not to discuss Tigerclaw too much, but he's grown on me since the episode where he first showed up. I'd love to see his back story and possible conclusion to the guy he was after for cutting off his tail. I suppose that might be asking too much for this show to do.

Last edited by Jester; 05-04-2015 at 12:25 AM. Reason: 2x posts
Old 05-03-2015, 01:37 PM   #90
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninturtle View Post
Donnie said he fixed it in this episode and he said he was working on it in this episode too.
Well, still kind of cheating in terms of continuity, seeing how it could have been easy to show him working on it in a few episodes before this.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 01:38 PM   #91
kelligrafie
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
I honestly don't know why you all thought this was going to be an epic or a two-parter episode with the type of series this is. You know that this is not a cartoon that is known for having some of the most deepest and darkest plotlines for a TMNT series. I'm afraid a lot of you got your hopes up too high to think this was going to be anything like the "Dark Leo" arc (especially when IDW is the one thing they don't adapt from). My advice for you is to realize that while this show is great, try to maintain from getting your hopes up. The higher your hopes are, the likely you'll be disappointed. You'll just have to accept this show for what it is, an action-comedy.
I agree. There's only so much you can do with twenty minutes.

Although to be fair TMNT does seem to do better than a lot of other shows with cramming stuff into those twenty minutes.

I was watching another action cartoon this weekend which I would say is aimed at a very similar audience and mentally comparing it to TMNT. And I reminded myself of the quality of what we're watching.

Sure we don't always get the character development we would like, there are plot holes, there's too much of this and too little of that...

And we can't blame all of it on time/budget constraints.

But I challenge you to all to watch a few other cartoons this week and see what level they're at compared with TMNT. I mean this weeks episode looked cinematic. It was beautiful.
Old 05-03-2015, 01:40 PM   #92
VaughnMichael
I'm Baaaaaaccck!

I thought this was a really good episode, mostly because we're starting to see other characters a lot more now.
I had a few gasping and ewww moment this time round though.
The scene with Slash cracking Splinter across the face was like
But they really did a nice job at the end of the episode and I like that Splinter called Slash his friend.
Seeing Slash so much though really makes me wonder what in the world has happened to Newtralizer.
The worms reminded me of Star Trek and had me squirming and saying ugh every time.
I really loved the fight scenes and the look of the show had vastly improved over time.
I have to say I've not laughed in some time as the show has been pretty serious but Pigeon Pete had me cracking up quite a few times in this one.
I hope when and if they make a Mighty Mutanimals tv show that we will get better toys for the characters.
VaughnMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 01:41 PM   #93
Fang Wolf
Proud Swedish Furry

This was Great Ep...
Hehee, Shredder is as ferocious as usual.
Ohh, His movement .....
Hehehe, He could beat everyone so so easily.

Last edited by Fang Wolf; 05-03-2015 at 01:54 PM.
Fang Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 01:50 PM   #94
aliena
Hench Mutant

I also forgot to ask if Shredder wanted just any turtle? We speculated that he'd want Raph for his anger reasons, but I think TigerClaw said to get a turtle. Did he mean someone specific or did it matter? If he didn't mean anyone specific, then Shredder thinks of them all as equally formidable or worthy as fighters.
Old 05-03-2015, 02:00 PM   #95
Mellie
Foot Soldier

The fighting scenes were fantastic in this episode. One of my favorite parts-

Spoiler:
Mellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 02:14 PM   #96
Vicky82
Emperor

I don't think people realize that the mind serum was just for Karai and they were only using Slash, Rockwell and Raph as test subjects to check if there were no problems and side effects.

It does look like Baxter will make the serum stronger because Karai is going to be under mind control in The Deadly Venom and if it's successful Shredder will use on others.

So maybe another turtle (or use Raph again) could be under mind contol, either Dark Leo, Dark Donnie or even Dark Mikey.

So today's episode is just a taste of big things to come.

Last edited by Vicky82; 05-03-2015 at 02:34 PM.
Old 05-03-2015, 02:34 PM   #97
kelligrafie
Stone Warrior

Poor Leatherhead really took a pounding this episode. Just as well he's got that natural armour plating!
Old 05-03-2015, 02:34 PM   #98
JH24
Hench Mutant

Aside from Raph being freed from the mind control within the same episode and is character being a bit off, it was a well done episode in general IMHO.

Good pacing, some very nice animation and facial expressions and well executed fight scenes. I liked how Leo and Donatello were both able to break Raph's and Rockwell's mind control by either provoking or insulting them. Rockwell using Donnie's bo staff against him was pretty funny.

Leo telling Raph to finish Shredder was also a nice touch. It usually isn't really mentioned in the series but it shows that killing Shredder is something the turtles will DO when given the chance.

Wow, Shredder seems to grow more and more powerful as the series progresses. He was able to take on all the good guys and still come out on top. He was surprised at the end but even then he was able to react to it. Tigerclaw was amazing too.

Raph, Rockwell and Slash turned out be to test subjects. Karai will likely be a lot harder to free from the mind control after Stockman works out the "bugs."

Very nice episode. I liked it.

Last edited by JH24; 05-03-2015 at 03:38 PM.
JH24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 02:39 PM   #99
Mukouno
Foot Soldier

Okay, I just got to watch the episode… How to put it… I just don’t know, I usually love this show sooo much, but today something about it rubbed me the wrong way.

First of all, the Dark Raph stuff. Sooo much potential for some drama, feels, awesome and emotional fights, just wasted… Okay, nobody ever said it was going to be a big thing and I guess it’s our own fault for getting us way too hyped when the only info we had was ‘loosly based on…’ so yeah. And in retrospect, I guess it was to be expected, I mean this show usually resolves a problem within one episode, so far as it’s not a main plot point. So all in all the Dark Raph actually doesn’t bother me as much, it’s a shame they didn’t do more with it, but I can live with that.

You know what my actual main beef with the episode is? Raph’s characterization. Maybe it’s just me, but it felt really off. Suddenly they make a point of his anger issues once again, when we haven’t had that since… I can’t even remember the last episode where this attitude was the main theme. Maybe ‘The Good, the Bad and Casey Jones’? Since then he’s gradually mellowed, especially during season 3 he had himself under control. Okay okay, I know he’ll always have a short temper and will be angered and annoyed very easily, just as Mikey will always be a happy-go-lucky, fun-loving, scatterbrained and sweet silly dork. That’s just who he is. But still, there has been development with Raph’s character which I hope I’m not the only one aware of. But today? Especially in the beginning, he’s shouting at Leo and even worse beats up Mikey for no reason other than calling him a hothead… Which he IS. Someone can’t handle the truth?

And then, how they snapped him out of the mind control. Okay, as I get it the way to cure someone is invoking strong emotions which itself is a nice, basic idea. So what could they do with that considering Raph? Maybe have him hurt one of his brothers and let his feelings of guilt snap him out of it, let Mikey give him a hug like he did in ‘The Invasion’ or have all of them tell him memories they shared, good ones and bad ones… This could have been done so well… And what did we get? Leo insulting and mocking him, thus pressing his buttons and let his anger free him so that the writers can keep harping on about his anger issues and shoving them in our faces.
(And why did Leo even start with that? It’s not like he knew this was going to break the mind control. Just comes across as a somewhat jerkish move on Leo’s part as well…)
Though I’ll give the writers some credit for creativity, can’t remember seeing someone breaking a mind control by making fun of the victim…

And then there was also Raph’s statement that he wouldn’t be good at following orders when this wasn’t portrayed in ages as well.

So, all in all this felt like season 1 Raph all over again. Really, imo the writers were simply trying too hard.

Don’t get me wrong, all this doesn’t mean I hated the episode. There were some pretty good parts as well, like all the humor made me crack up a few times, Mikey mentioning how these cartoons portray their lifes, the animation was gorgeous and of course the fighting scenes were really awesome! And I did get some feels as well, like Mikey and LH (once again), Mikey wanting to stay at Splinter’s side and of course the Leo/Raph hug. (I’m just a huge sucker for bromance… )
And by far my favorite scene was the torture scene when that worm approached Raph. That was some creepy atmosphere there and I got chills all over my body.

Just the whole Raph thing left a bad taste in my mouth and thus made the episode not as enjoyable as it would have been otherwise.

Last edited by Mukouno; 05-03-2015 at 02:52 PM.
Mukouno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 02:48 PM   #100
Sahtori
Thug

I was glad to see more 'TigerClaw' though: 'When have I ever failed you ...'
Thought Shredder would say: 'The turtles, man, the turtles ....'

the fights were awesome, though as many, disappointed about how short Raph's Dark was. Doesn't mean it's the ending of something that's coming. Who knows, maybe more Dark Raph or they will do Dark Leo, who knows
Please, don't worry so much. Because in the end, none of us have very long on this Earth. Life is fleeting. And if you're ever distressed, cast your eyes to the summer sky when the stars are strung across the velvety night. And when a shooting star streaks through the blackness, turning night into day... make a wish and think of me. Make your life spectacular. I know I did ...
- Robin Williams

Read FREE comics
Sahtori is offline   Reply With Quote