The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 01-05-2017, 05:03 PM   #61
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtfbomb View Post
In film school, whenever they would show an older movie, 80% of the class would walk out..
Really? People who actually paid to go to film school would walk out because the instructor showed an older movie? Are those people stupid? Isn't the whole point to teach them how movies were made?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 06:34 PM   #62
sgtfbomb
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Really? People who actually paid to go to film school would walk out because the instructor showed an older movie? Are those people stupid? Isn't the whole point to teach them how movies were made?
They were 18 year olds. So, naturally, they already knew it, like all people right out of high school know everything.

Not everyone was like that. Many found the experience interesting, though there were some snobby snickers over The Graduate. One girl, who was all attitude and no brains, said "What's this dude's problem? He's so clingy!" I'm sitting there thinking ,"Well duh! That's his character."

Oh, and the amount of times I heard someone use the word "edgy" all throughout my entire film school career was about 8,000,000 times too many. I am pretty sure people use that word when they can't articulate a reasoning for their opinion and need to say something that sounds meaningful, but actually shallow.
sgtfbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 10:20 PM   #63
Logan
Hench Mutant

Quote:
In film school, whenever they would show an older movie, 80% of the class would walk out. I would face palm every time and think "what a bunch of tools,"
I ran into that on occasion with my own film school experience, although nowhere near that percentile. We had a guy who was obsessed with the Halloween films but had no problem being dismissive of the creative and technical merits of Citizen Kane. It was obnoxious, and my buddies and I would make fun of him for it.

As for the 1990 film working for the current generation... I'd say so. I've two nephews who were born in the early 2000s and they loved the original films. But maybe I'm giving the youth of today the benefit of the doubt.

-Leonardo

Logan the Layman Critic, a youtube channel for movie reviews and animation appreciation.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjn...xrKPml1WlYh6Mw
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 09:10 AM   #64
DisKosh
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
I don't think kids would be too confused about it, it's a old movie set in a different time period. With context it shouldn't be a big deal, I'd recon few kids question the usage of maps and swords in The Hobbit instead of desert eagles and gps apps on iphones.
Exactly! I remember reading Enid Blyton books as a kid in the late 90s/early 2000s and they, being written in the 50s were incredibly dated, but I just understood that they were written in a different time period. If I didn't know anything I'd just ask my parents or grandparents for clarification and kids these days have more access to the internet so they'll find it even easier to understand.
DisKosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 09:40 AM   #65
Tetsu Deinonychus
The Iron Dinosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DestronMirage22 View Post
This classic definitely doesn't work for the kids of today. Little kids want their movie characters to be bright and colorful, constantly making lame jokes or farting or whatever. And teens care more about explosions and gratuitous sex, than actual plot.
Are you talking about what kids actually like or what movie studios insist that kids like?
Tetsu Deinonychus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:14 AM   #66
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
I don't think kids would be too confused about it, it's a old movie set in a different time period. With context it shouldn't be a big deal, I'd recon few kids question the usage of maps and swords in The Hobbit instead of desert eagles and gps apps on iphones.
True. When i was a little kid and watched old movies I didn't question why they didn't have phones or computers. If an 11 year old doesn't know that back in the 80s everyone wasn't walking around with a tablet and a smartphone then his parents need to educate him better.

Quote:
Other dated elements in the original film is April saying, "Why can't I dream of Harrison Ford?"

1990 era Harrison Ford was still fairly young and attractive. Now Harrison Ford is old enough to be your grandfather.
I honestly don't remember that line at all. Even though it's been years since I've seen that movie.

Hard to believe Harrison Ford was considered a sex symbol at some point.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 11:10 AM   #67
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Also they have shows like Gravity falls and Regular Show where characters have lots of old tech. Also why desert eagles of all things
Old 01-07-2017, 02:41 PM   #68
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post

I honestly don't remember that line at all. Even though it's been years since I've seen that movie.

April says it right after she wakes up from fainting on the couch, right before Splinter tells her the backstory of how the Turtles got mutated.
Old 01-07-2017, 02:55 PM   #69
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post

Say that again.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 02:57 PM   #70
CyberCubed
Overlord

That type of hair style isn't really popular nowadays though, same for Luke's. That long bushy hair that goes over the ears, reminds me of Mel Gibson's mullet in Lethal Weapon too.
Old 01-07-2017, 03:29 PM   #71
sgtfbomb
Stone Warrior

Quote:
That type of hair style isn't really popular nowadays though, same for Luke's. That long bushy hair that goes over the ears, reminds me of Mel Gibson's mullet in Lethal Weapon too.
TMNT is a 90s film. April is a 90s woman. Many 90s women considered Harrison Ford and Mel Gibson sex symbols. My mom had a huge crush on Gibson. That's something a wannabe-intellectual teenager or twenty-something will complain about, not a kid.

Also, Harrison Ford cut his hair for most of his roles afterwords. In fact, his other most famous role is Indiana Jones, where he has a rugged, yet maintained look.

Plus, in 1990, had the line been "Why can't I dream about Channing Tatum?" April would be in jail.

EDIT: One thing I love about Judith's April is that she is very much a woman. She also has the most personality of the film Aprils.

Last edited by sgtfbomb; 01-07-2017 at 03:42 PM.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:32 AM   #72
newhire13
Hench Mutant

Idk, it is very much a product of its time (a great product, but still). I mean things we didn't blink at about the film back then usually gets a chuckle now. I've been to a few screenings over the past few years and Raphael's unconscious body in the bathtub and Splinter mimicking Yoshi always had the theater erupt in laughter :/ I think it would be entertaining, but slightly mocked too. Not at all its fault though, people even roll their eyes at the original Superman movie now.
newhire13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 09:05 PM   #73
sgtfbomb
Stone Warrior

That sounds like more of an issue with the audience than the film. That's our culture now. "Let's take apart these movies that are/were popular and disassemble them for laughs." Cinema Sins, Honest Trailers, HISHE, podcasters, bloggers, etc, get off on doing that. It's what passes for wit these days.

Last edited by sgtfbomb; 01-10-2017 at 09:14 PM.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:14 PM   #74
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
That sounds like more of an issue with the audience than the film. That's our culture now. "Let's take apart these movies that are/were popular and disassemble them for laughs." Cinema Sins, Honest Trailers, HISHE, podcasters, bloggers, etc, get off on doing that. It's what passes for wit these days.
UMMM parody has been doing that for years hell those guys were probably inspired by MST3K and Siskel and Ebert.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:57 PM   #75
Xav
Foot Elite

Quote:
Plus, in 1990, had the line been "Why can't I dream about Channing Tatum?" April would be in jail.
Wait in 1990 you could go to jail for dreaming about people no one ever heard of?
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 01:33 AM   #76
Technogeek29
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xav View Post
Wait in 1990 you could go to jail for dreaming about people no one ever heard of?
That's news to me. Fantasizing is morally frown upon sure but unless you act on those thoughts or the person is bothered by it in some fashion, most just ignore you.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:29 AM   #77
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Young Harrison Ford was handsome, as were the other young guys in the films...Billy Dee Williams especially!! Sucks they're all old now.

Last edited by ssjup81; 01-11-2017 at 07:04 AM.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:08 AM   #78
sgtfbomb
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PApagreg View Post
UMMM parody has been doing that for years hell those guys were probably inspired by MST3K and Siskel and Ebert.
MST3K or Rifftrax, it works because the tone fits their humor. They don't pretend to be intellectuals by making superficial critiques.

And they're actually funny.

Quote:
I like how out of what I said in the post, this is the one thing people picked up on. Not that part where it's silly to nitpick a movie where a 90's woman dreams of an 80s/90s sex symbol, much less complaining about the 90s music, the 90s hair, the 90s clothes, 90s references -- jeez, it's almost like this movie was made in the 90s...

Last edited by sgtfbomb; 01-11-2017 at 10:16 AM.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:31 AM   #79
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
MST3K or Rifftrax, it works because the tone fits their humor. They don't pretend to be intellectuals by making superficial critiques.

And they're actually funny.
How the hell does Honest trailer and HISHE pretend to be intellectuals, Cinema sins maybe but for all three its obvious they're just having fun and pretending to be entertainers. Also I remember MST3K making superficial critiques
Old 01-11-2017, 07:06 PM   #80
sgtfbomb
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PApagreg View Post
How the hell does Honest trailer and HISHE pretend to be intellectuals, Cinema sins maybe but for all three its obvious they're just having fun and pretending to be entertainers. Also I remember MST3K making superficial critiques
MST3K is really the only thing I like that's like that. Joe Bob Briggs too. But I usually don't like jokey criticisms made for laughs. Not from bloggers nor you tubers. I just don't care for it.

I want you to know that opinions can be conditional. I can like MST3K and not like armchair critics (bloggers, You Tubers, podcasters) nor things like Cinema Sins and Honest Trailers. That is a thing a person can do.

Also, to be fair, it's not really Cinema Sins and Honest Trailers that I don't like. It's more about the people who watch it. Those people who like to nitpick tiny stuff like lens flares, raspy voices, and high heels.

I am not sure why this a big deal. I was defending TMNT '90 and stating that it's stupid to criticize a 90s movie for being a 90s movie. I mean, forget the story and the characters and all the things that are actually important, because they mention Harrison Ford and Moonlighting and Danny has a Sony Walkman and the Burger King logo is old -- because that is what people clearly care about.

Last edited by sgtfbomb; 01-11-2017 at 07:12 PM.

Tags
1990 film