The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 03-07-2017, 09:07 PM   #1
Prowler
Emperor

What makes you nostalgic the most nowadays?

"Retro" stuff, which appeals to nostalgia, has been a big thing in the entertainment industry in the current decade. More franchises than ever have been rebooted and remade in the last 5-10 years. Clearly, everyone wants to see their favourite childhood franchises being brought back to life nowadays.

The thing is, it's getting harder to get nostalgic anymore. I mean, with how big the internet is nowadays, you can easily find older movies, cartoons, anime, etc. on either DVD/Blu Ray or on streaming websites such as youtube(before they get taken down). I mean, I miss watching the older TMNT cartoons as a kid, considering my standards were much lower back in the day and the anticipation for a new episode was way more thrilling than it is nowadays. Same for video games. When you're a kid, you get, what, 3 video games per year max? One or two for Christmas, your birthday, and if you happen to have an older sibling who already has an allowance or part time job and still lives with you, he might also buy a few games for himself throughout the year. As an adult, you can just buy a game or several per month, considering we live in an era where online gaming platforms have special sales where they give big discounts to some games. I mean, I bought Deus EX Human Revolution on Steam for about 1,99 euro. Ridiculous when you think about it. And that game had not come out that long of a time ago when I bought it for such an absurdly low price . I mean, holy hell, imagine if you had been able to buy Ocarina of Time, Final Fantasy VII or GTA San Andreas some months after they came out for a couple of bucks only?

So yeah, as far as Turtle stuff go, at best I feel a bit nostalgic for the 2k3 series since that series seems to have been lost in the shuffle and the least remembered of the Turtle cartoons. Understandable since FW was the biggest one and the nick series is still on or was still on until very recently, plus there's the Bay movies tied into it. But no one seems to remember the 2k3 series. In fact, I've met way more people who've never heard of it than ones who do. But still... I could just go on youtube and re-watch that series again.

I think nostalgia nowadays works better for edible products. Such as food items and drinks that used to be easily found in stores or at the supermarket. You can't just download or stream those. I also have nostalgia for older stores that closed down... like toy shops. Back when I was a kid already in the late 90s, neighbourhood toy shops were closing in droves and kids like me had to buy them at the Toys 'R' Us at the nearest mall. also get nostalgic whenever I remember video rental stores. Man weren't those places magical? I'd go to my local one almost every Saturday. My parents would rent a movie and I'd rent an animated movie or a VHS containing several cartoon episodes.

Oh and remember arcades? Very occasionally I'll see one, but it's usually a crappy obscure football game or a one of those Sega arcade racing games such as Scud Racer or Sega Rally. Sega used to rule the arcades, man.

I also have lots of fond memories of my city's carnival. It's closed down around 2002-2003. It was a sad day because I was never going to ride those roller coasters and other rides that allowed only people aged 15 and above.

What about you, what makes you nostalgic nowadays?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 09:27 PM   #2
CyberCubed
Overlord

I'm nostalgic for anything from the 80's, 90's to about 2005 or 2006ish.

There was something magical about the early 2000's. I was still in High School back then so maybe that's it. Once we got to 2007-2008+ that's when things started getting bad.

I still remember when DVDs came out the first time, when youtube first came out in 2005, the initial rise of the internet, all the big shows in the early 2000's. I don't know what happened in the late 2000's but things went to hell around that time.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 09:35 PM   #3
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I'm nostalgic for anything from the 80's, 90's to about 2005 or 2006ish.

There was something magical about the early 2000's. I was still in High School back then so maybe that's it. Once we got to 2007-2008+ that's when things started getting bad.

I still remember when DVDs came out the first time, when youtube first came out in 2005, the initial rise of the internet, all the big shows in the early 2000's. I don't know what happened in the late 2000's but things went to hell around that time.
I don't miss the older days of the internet. They were interesting but GeoCities, dial up, pre-video streaming websites days and no tabs on browsers days deserve to be history for good.

2007-2008 was when I finished HS. By the time High Definition TV was already a thing, I believe? Man, looking back, VHS quality was really bad wasn't it? Hell, even DVD quality really wasn't that good.

I think the "turning point" was 2001, though. And no, it's because that was the first year of the current century we live in but it had a day which changed the world forever, which you asa New Yorker probably know better than anybody. That was when the 90s economic bubble burst for good. And some years later the world economic crisis would blow up and the effects are still being felt in Europe. Countries like Spain and Greece still have unemployment rates in the 20-25 percent area... but that's a whole different matter.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:36 PM   #4
CyberCubed
Overlord

2008 was the economic collapse. The early 2000's were still pretty good prior to that.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:42 PM   #5
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
2008 was the economic collapse. The early 2000's were still pretty good prior to that.
To the USA yes. But that crash around late 2001 due to... you know, affected other economies. Nothing happens overnight and I'm sure that, by then the seeds were being planted for the Eurozone crisis to take place some years later. Then again, the Euro currency was introduced just a year or so later.

Also, I might be reaching, but I can't help but think that that... made thee American entertainment industry more politically correct. 90s TV shows and movies just feel edgier and more like they're trying to push the envelope. It's like from that day on people stopped getting os excited for the future of mankind. Technology in the 80s and the 90s evolved so fast that we were just excited to see what was gonna come next, but nowadays that's not really the thing as much anymore.

...perhaps the terrorists have "won" after all. Scary to think.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:57 PM   #6
snake
Disgusting

I'm nostalgic more for events and memories. Like the 2008-2011 internet era or a cool vacation I took.

The only other things that get my nostalgia juices flowing are 2006-2012 Star Wars figures and the Clone Wars TV series.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 09:58 PM   #7
WebLurker
Hench Mutant

I'm a '90s kid, so I find watching old PBS kid's shows nostalgic. The old dial-up tone for the internet is nostalgic. Classic Disney animated movies from the mid-'90s on back (define my childhood in movies, it'd be VHSs of Disney animated films, which where a mix of the old stuff and the then-modern things). Walking downtown, since I used to do that a lot.

I was also a Trekkie during most of my teens. Kinda sorta fell off the wagon, more or less, after the JJ Abrams reboot (not a fan of that period). So, watching stuff from the TV shows and first ten movies is a pseudo-nostalgic feel. (That may not count, but, given that I've cooled off considerably in this specific fandom in recent years, I'd say it counts.)
Old 03-07-2017, 09:59 PM   #8
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
I'm nostalgic more for events and memories. Like the 2008-2011 internet era or a cool vacation I took.

The only other things that get my nostalgia juices flowing are 2006-2012 Star Wars figures and the Clone Wars TV series.
I remember the Clone Wars cartoon. That was what? 2003? 2004? By the time I barely watched CN anymore. Would just tune in occasionally for a nostalgia boost or to watch Samurai Jack. I believe Clone Wars aired before or after it... at least on UK Cartoon Network. Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends also aired more or less around that time.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:28 PM   #9
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

I don't really get nostalgic for anything.
Cure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 10:36 PM   #10
CyberCubed
Overlord

Nostalgia is very important as it makes us who we are. I wouldn't like anything I do today without nostalgia. Practically everything I like now is because I was exposed to it as a kid.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:40 PM   #11
Powder
So tired of this place

I'm not that nostalgic a person, at least with respect to media, 'cause I mostly like the same stuff I've always liked. It's more about childhood happenings, one such being there was a flea market I always used to go to when Pokemon first came out in the states. It was full of Japanese & Chinese import sellers who had "Pocket Monsters" merch that nobody else did. I was like the only kid I knew who had overseas toys, posters, etc. & it was super cool. I think about those trips there somewhat often, it was always a feast for the eyes. The whole place itself was really cool. Giant ass concrete building full of international goods, chandeliers, jewels, weapons, carpets, toys, lights of lights & sparkly stuff, fried foods, it was baller.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 10:42 PM   #12
Prowler
Emperor

Nostalgia can also be a pain, though. Lots of people are nostalgic for things they haven't experience in ages and still speak highly of them. People who grew up with FW TMNT are priem examples of this. It's like they forget that the Turtles barely used their weapons in the show. Then again I guess, for tis time, FW TMNT was considered quite a fast paced and violent cartoon. Just like Iron Maiden were considered controversial and some of the heaviest music around back in the early/mid 80s, which seems crazy by today's standards.

Also, nothing worse than playing a game you used to love for the first time in years and seeing flaws in it. I no longer find Star Fox 64 fun and I'd rather play A Link to the Past than Ocarina of Time nowadays.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:47 PM   #13
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post

Also, nothing worse than playing a game you used to love for the first time in years and seeing flaws in it. I no longer find Star Fox 64 fun and I'd rather play A Link to the Past than Ocarina of Time nowadays.
Ocarina of Time is still an excellent game (especially the 3DS remake), and A Link to the Past is good too. But its comparing 2D Zelda to 3D Zelda, they play completely different.

Also Ocarina of Time is literally almost 20 years old now. That's not really that good an example when its nearly as old as A Link to the Past, they both came out only 6 years apart, 1992-1998.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:54 PM   #14
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
I'm not that nostalgic a person, at least with respect to media, 'cause I mostly like the same stuff I've always liked. It's more about childhood happenings, one such being there was a flea market I always used to go to when Pokemon first came out in the states. It was full of Japanese & Chinese import sellers who had "Pocket Monsters" merch that nobody else did. I was like the only kid I knew who had overseas toys, posters, etc. & it was super cool. I think about those trips there somewhat often, it was always a feast for the eyes. The whole place itself was really cool. Giant ass concrete building full of international goods, chandeliers, jewels, weapons, carpets, toys, lights of lights & sparkly stuff, fried foods, it was baller.
Oh man I have so many memories from my Summer vacations up until 2005 when I'd travel with my family to a new foreign country and stay there for some days. The night before the flight was always an almost sleepless night since I could barely hold my excitement.

Quote:
Ocarina of Time is still an excellent game (especially the 3DS remake), and A Link to the Past is good too. But its comparing 2D Zelda to 3D Zelda, they play completely different.

Also Ocarina of Time is literally almost 20 years old now. That's not really that good an example when its nearly as old as A Link to the Past, they both came out only 6 years apart, 1992-1998.
The thing is, Ocarina was my 2nd Zelda. Before it I had only owned and played the first ever Zelda NES game. I didn't lay my eyes on ALttP or even k new of its existence until my brother one day came home with it in 2002 or so(friend had loaned it to him). And I only played the game all the way through in 2012 during Spring/Summer. Ocarina we got it when it came out and I beat it around 1999-2000. It was a very special game for me and the first game ever that helped me emotionally connect with its characters. It felt like the most epic game ever at the time.

I replayed Ocarina around 2014(GameCube port). Still liked it a lot but not as much as back in the day. Didn't even bother killing all of the gold skultullas or getting every single heart piece that time. The water temple was still as tedious as I had remembered it and I even liked the Lord Jabu Jabu dungeon even less than I did back in the day.

Yes, generally 2D games age better. The N64/Saturn/PS1 generation has aged the worst.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:58 PM   #15
CyberCubed
Overlord

Ocarina of time has aged very well and the 3DS remake gave it a graphics and control boost. Nintendo games tend to age better than most other games.
Old 03-07-2017, 11:04 PM   #16
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Ocarina of time has aged very well and the 3DS remake gave it a graphics and control boost. Nintendo games tend to age better than most other games.
Nintendo games tend to be more fantasy like so it makes sense they game better than most games out there.

Mario 64 didn't aged badly either but it's hard to overlook how crappy its camera is nowadays. As for Ocarina... Hyrule Field looks so barren nowadays. It's a chore to go through it and waiting for it to become night or day time again. Still a pretty damn fine game, sure but no longer magical like it once was. a game like Super Mario World still holds that magic to me, per example.

Speaking of N64, Banjo-Kazooie has aged quite gracefully, imo. A shame that franchise is pretty much dead. I'd love to see a platformer like that nowadays.
Old 03-07-2017, 11:05 PM   #17
CyberCubed
Overlord

Day/night in Ocarina goes by in less than 7 minutes.
Old 03-07-2017, 11:16 PM   #18
Prowler
Emperor

Point still stands. It all gets better once you get Epona and learn the sun song.
Old 03-08-2017, 01:39 AM   #19
CyberCubed
Overlord

I remember back in my day you actually had to buy a camera to take pictures. Now everyone just takes pictures with their phone. Does anyone even own a camera anymore?
Old 03-08-2017, 01:52 AM   #20
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Pretty much all I had to watch as a kid was PBS or KidsWB. By the time I started watching it, Animaniacs was very much long gone from it, though they were basically the founders of that block of time.

My brothers and I mostly watched Xiaolin Showdown, Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokémon on it. Mostly because those were the shows on after school. It's because of this that whenever I watch 4Kids TMNT, I keep wishing for Mortu to challenge someone to a duel. Which I guess is the nostalgia bit of that. That voice will always be Yami Yugi to me.
Cyberchase was a show that rocked our worlds, and we always had to watch it at 6 pm every weekday. I admit, I still kind of have the need to rock out with the theme song. Even if I didn't understand the slightest bit of math learned on the show, I still loved it, and it at least let me understand a few basic concepts, even if I couldn't execute them on paper.

When people talk about Chronicles of Narnia, I instinctively think of the BBC version, rather than the Disney. And though it is obviously lower production and filled to the brim with ham, there's something about the memory of loving it so much as a kid. There's a lot about it that makes it feel more "authentic" to the books for me, where the Disney film just really, really wanted to be Lord of the Rings for kids. And that was just on a crummy VHS recording my mother had. We never actually had official tapes and we mostly just watched The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.
I think a bit part of it is the score

The theme itself might as well be Narnia to me. It was always my favorite part of watching them, once we did get around to some of the later films. (But that Reepicheep costume...oh god )

There was a period of time when I was young where we did a lot of reading books out loud, which is probably why I was able to read on my own earlier than most of my peers. Of course, that included Narnia, but Harry Potter was there too. And I think we attempted Lord of the Rings, but I don't think we went past The Hobbit. There's a very distinct memory of my mom trying to figure out how to read the songs, going so far as to consult my father standing in the doorway, who wasn't sure himself.

There's a lot more, but I'll save that for another post.