The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2018, 09:33 PM   #301
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout
 
FredWolfLeonardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: New Bark Town
Posts: 2,952
Mondo Gecko wasn't in the 1st episode because Mr. X already took him and left by the time Yoshi came.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
The biggest villains were the censors. What they could do without being held back is my question. Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue. Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 09:40 PM   #302
Prowler
Emperor
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 5,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
Mondo Gecko wasn't in the 1st episode because Mr. X already took him and left by the time Yoshi came.
Oh? well damn. It's been ages since I've last seen that episode, so I didn't remember that detail.

...but it's obvious back when the first season was being produced Mondo Gecko wasn't even a thought in the minds of the writers. Hell, did he even exist at the time? I don't remember if he's originally an Archie comics character or a FW character. Regardless he only debuted later on in the show.

So yeah, I refuse to accept him being there all along.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
So I've watched some of April O'Neil's "videos." They were OK, the lesbian massage ones were the best ones. I skimmed through some of the others, but eh.

I've seen better.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 03:22 AM   #303
Papenbrook
❍ Omigosh ❍
 
Papenbrook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: ✮ I'm inside my own head! ✮
Posts: 1,720
Why do certain individuals call Leonardo "Leonerdo"?

It doesn't make sense, at least to me.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 03:26 AM   #304
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout
 
FredWolfLeonardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: New Bark Town
Posts: 2,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papenbrook View Post
Why do certain individuals call Leonardo "Leonerdo"?

It doesn't make sense, at least to me.
Its an insult of calling him a Nerd, usually by hardcore Raphael fans.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
The biggest villains were the censors. What they could do without being held back is my question. Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue. Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 04:40 AM   #305
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Emperor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sweden
Posts: 7,563
Mondo Gecko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Oh? well damn. It's been ages since I've last seen that episode, so I didn't remember that detail.

...but it's obvious back when the first season was being produced Mondo Gecko wasn't even a thought in the minds of the writers. Hell, did he even exist at the time? I don't remember if he's originally an Archie comics character or a FW character. Regardless he only debuted later on in the show.

So yeah, I refuse to accept him being there all along.
Action figure release: 1990 http://www.tmnttoys.com/figures1987.html#1990

Archie debut: Mondo Metal (March 1991) http://miragelicensing.com/comics/archie/18/18.htm

MWS series debut: Michaelangelo Meets Mondo Gecko (original airdate: 14 September 1991) http://www.tv.com/shows/teenage-muta...o-gecko-73521/
__________________
Because of continuity and timeline errors, I've given up writing fanfiction about the 1987-1996 animated television series. Instead, I'm trying to reboot the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles story as many other fanfiction writers do:

Hopefully, stories will later appear at

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/968367/O...NT-Cartoon-Fan
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 08:40 AM   #306
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 34,024
Mondo Gecko weirdly remained a enduring character despite getting barely any screentime in the original show and then in the Archie run after his debut issue he was basically in the background with the Mutanimals besides getting one 3-parter by the end.

I guess because he can easily be used as a friend for Michelangelo is what kept him from fading into obscurity. His entire character is based on the 80's/early 90's skater punk teen.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 09:09 AM   #307
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Emperor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sweden
Posts: 7,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Mondo Gecko weirdly remained a enduring character despite getting barely any screentime in the original show.
I guess he was intended for the animated Mutanimals series that never happened,
__________________
Because of continuity and timeline errors, I've given up writing fanfiction about the 1987-1996 animated television series. Instead, I'm trying to reboot the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles story as many other fanfiction writers do:

Hopefully, stories will later appear at

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/968367/O...NT-Cartoon-Fan
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 09:17 AM   #308
Prowler
Emperor
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 5,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Mondo Gecko weirdly remained a enduring character despite getting barely any screentime in the original show and then in the Archie run after his debut issue he was basically in the background with the Mutanimals besides getting one 3-parter by the end.

I guess because he can easily be used as a friend for Michelangelo is what kept him from fading into obscurity. His entire character is based on the 80's/early 90's skater punk teen.
Well he looks kinda cool. And as you said, he was a bud for Michelangelo.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
So I've watched some of April O'Neil's "videos." They were OK, the lesbian massage ones were the best ones. I skimmed through some of the others, but eh.

I've seen better.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 11:26 AM   #309
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 9,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papenbrook View Post
Why do certain individuals call Leonardo "Leonerdo"?

It doesn't make sense, at least to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
Its an insult of calling him a Nerd, usually by hardcore Raphael fans.
Yeah... LeoNERDo. See it now? The 2012 seems to have started that one, so blame them. Kind of seems like a natural fit for sibling nonsense however, whether it makes sense to call him that or not.

Now, the random question is... what similar can be done for the other three?


edit: Dorkatello.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 05-13-2018 at 11:31 AM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 12:07 PM   #310
neatoman
Emperor
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 5,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
Mondo Gecko wasn't in the 1st episode because Mr. X already took him and left by the time Yoshi came.
What about the turtles landing in ooze, rather than the ooze landing on them? And why didn't Mr X mutate?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTH View Post
Turtles is basically the red-headed stepchild of Nick.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 11:56 PM   #311
Papenbrook
❍ Omigosh ❍
 
Papenbrook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: ✮ I'm inside my own head! ✮
Posts: 1,720
What do individuals usually mean when they say the Turtles' need to "act like teenagers"?

I mean, they praise the 2k12!TMNT for properly representing adolescence, but ... I don't understand.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 12:48 AM   #312
Powder
Endless Screw
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shell Ri La
Posts: 25,478
I dunno if the specific behaviors or whatever can be perfectly pinpointed necessarily, but I'll try to sum it up.

I guess, in short, most iterations of TMNT that came before it, the turtles come off like they're in their 20's or early 30's, made worse by the fact they also sound that way. Obviously all the different versions feature similar turtles, who train together, listen to music, watch TV, horse around, but there's something that feels more brotherly/organic/youthful about the way the Nick TMNT go about having fun. Their shorter attention spans, use of hyperbole, insecurities, and a host of other subtle nuances really nail it, for me. & their voice actors delivered on those points.
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 01:05 AM   #313
newfan
Mad Scientist
 
newfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: UK
Posts: 1,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
I dunno if the specific behaviors or whatever can be perfectly pinpointed necessarily, but I'll try to sum it up.

I guess, in short, most iterations of TMNT that came before it, the turtles come off like they're in their 20's or early 30's, made worse by the fact they also sound that way. Obviously all the different versions feature similar turtles, who train together, listen to music, watch TV, horse around, but there's something that feels more brotherly/organic/youthful about the way the Nick TMNT go about having fun. Their shorter attention spans, use of hyperbole, insecurities, and a host of other subtle nuances really nail it, for me. & their voice actors delivered on those points.
Yeah 2K3 Raph did not sound like a teen , I suppose being giant mutants all rules need not apply but yeah 2012's delivered on the teenage bit, more so as they were starting out. New Raph won't sound teen like either (so I can tell so far) but then I get that, look at the size of him. .. which brings me to...
.... the half human factor which some incarnations have, did it really make any difference to the turtles themselves other than it just is? I'm thinking it didn't, though you could argue it came out a little for example in the 2012's characters (teen boy aspect), plus the coloured eyes but really I'd assumed the characters just varied a little in personality to suit the style and audience.

Last edited by newfan; 05-14-2018 at 05:10 AM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 08:59 AM   #314
LeotheLateBloomer
Mad Scientist
 
LeotheLateBloomer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,718
I hope one day we'll get a version or two whether it'd be comics/cartoons/movies where they drop the "teenage" from the title so we can get a series where they are adults. Considering Teen Titans were adults in some of their animated films, I'd like to think it isn't too out-of-the-cards.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 09:02 AM   #315
newfan
Mad Scientist
 
newfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: UK
Posts: 1,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
I hope one day we'll get a version or two whether it'd be comics/cartoons/movies where they drop the "teenage" from the title so we can get a series where they are adults. Considering Teen Titans were adults in some of their animated films, I'd like to think it isn't too out-of-the-cards.
Yeah that could work, or even if just a short series of specials.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 11:29 AM   #316
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 9,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
I hope one day we'll get a version or two whether it'd be comics/cartoons/movies where they drop the "teenage" from the title so we can get a series where they are adults. Considering Teen Titans were adults in some of their animated films, I'd like to think it isn't too out-of-the-cards.
Me too. I love 2012 and seeing them a bit more teen-like in personality was fun, but I miss my older seeming Turtles.

Another series kind of like 2003 could easily do it and just drop the word from the title and either just never address it or make it clear in the first ep that this is taking place years later than where we usually meet them, thus they're older now.



As far as what people mean by them needing to act like teenagers... Just, the typical teen vibe/behavior/mentality. That may not become more understandable until you're farther away from those years as young 20s isn't all that different yet.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 11:39 AM   #317
Utrommaniac
It only took 30 years
 
Utrommaniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: All is strange and vague. Are we dead? Or is this Ohio?
Posts: 4,227
I lot of the time, they don't even look like teenagers. Don and Mike at least look like they could be older teenagers.

When it comes to making them look like teenagers, they'd probably be looking, acting, and even sounding like the Stranger Things kids, as I've said in another thread somewhere.

It would make a lot of their situations more questionable, but hey...they should be questionable.
__________________
Resident Overthinker of Inconsequential Biology


To my DeviantArt
Utrommaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 02:16 PM   #318
Prowler
Emperor
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 5,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
I lot of the time, they don't even look like teenagers. Don and Mike at least look like they could be older teenagers.

When it comes to making them look like teenagers, they'd probably be looking, acting, and even sounding like the Stranger Things kids, as I've said in another thread somewhere.

It would make a lot of their situations more questionable, but hey...they should be questionable.
They're mutant turtles, so how can they look like human teenagers? I guess wearing trenchcoats in the FW series makes them look like middle aged men, if that's what you mean.

In every carton you see them skateboarding or surfing at some point tbh. I wouldn't say the Turtles act like they're 14-15, but 19-20? sure. A lot of people aged 20-22 are still rather immature and haven't fully stopped acting like teenagers.

Also, most humans the Turtles have contact with are adults/people older than them. Meaning they don't really have other or many other teenagers or people around their age to interact with. That and adding life experience and battling to the mix and they're gonna mature faster than your ordinary teenager.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
So I've watched some of April O'Neil's "videos." They were OK, the lesbian massage ones were the best ones. I skimmed through some of the others, but eh.

I've seen better.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 03:55 PM   #319
LeotheLateBloomer
Mad Scientist
 
LeotheLateBloomer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
They're mutant turtles, so how can they look like human teenagers? I guess wearing trenchcoats in the FW series makes them look like middle aged men, if that's what you mean.

In every carton you see them skateboarding or surfing at some point tbh. I wouldn't say the Turtles act like they're 14-15, but 19-20? sure. A lot of people aged 20-22 are still rather immature and haven't fully stopped acting like teenagers.

Also, most humans the Turtles have contact with are adults/people older than them. Meaning they don't really have other or many other teenagers or people around their age to interact with. That and adding life experience and battling to the mix and they're gonna mature faster than your ordinary teenager.
That and the difference between human and turtle years.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 05:08 PM   #320
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 9,538
Though the belief that turtles by nature all have long, long lives seems to be kind of a myth. If they're typically considered to be red eared sliders, then it seems they don't luck out after all and have shorter lifespans than humans. (So maybe them seeming older in their teens actually does make sense. But personally I just prefer to believe the mutation would have gained them a human-like lifespan so they can make it to 80 or so.)
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.