The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 10-17-2022, 01:36 PM   #1
Prowler
Emperor

How would you describe your sense of humour?

I really don't know how to describe mine. I'd like to think I like different sorts of humour. For reference here's some of my favourite comedies:

Classic Simpsons
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Seinfeld
Fawlty Towers
Black Adder
Black Books

So yeah, I don't just like one type of humour.

What about you?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 02:30 PM   #2
Leo656
The Franchise

Very dark, very mean-spirited.

There's an episode of American Dad where Roger says to Stan, "Stan, that joke isn't funny because it's not racist." And that was quite amusing because it absolutely sounds like something I'd say to get a reaction.

I basically don't think there's "a line" between what you Can and Can't joke about and so I like to see the envelope be pushed as much as possible. If people are getting sincerely uncomfortable/offended, Good, you're doing it right. Humor should shock and offend or else it's toothless.

The ONE thing my wife and I have in common is this. I can legit make a joke about anything - as long as it's not Her, obviously - and no matter how awful, it's still always funny and never offsides. She comes up with even worse sh*t than me, sometimes. Like, I have at least 10% of a conscience; she has f*cking Zero.

I am an absolute nightmare in any social setting because of this, because once I see someone thinking I'm funny my immediate instinct is to see how far I can push it before they flip it around and think I'm a monster. Usually, not very far at all! And I'm VERY charming in person, so people usually think I'm funny right away. Once it gets to the jokes about dead babies and rape, I may have lost the audience BUT I've reinforced my point that I'm the only motherf*cker walking around who knows what's Actually Funny, so it all evens out.

My sense of humor can't be measured or interpreted by the movies or TV shows I watch. All you need to know is, if I am at your family member's wedding and you make the mistake of telling me So-and-So had a miscarriage, you have now volunteered So-and-So to bear the full barrage of every single Dead Baby joke I've collected since the 1980s. And it's your own stupid fault because if you don't already know I'm that kind of scumbag then WHY am I even invited to this thing since you clearly don't know me at all?!

So... yeah. Very dark, very mean-spirited. I don't MEAN any of it, really, I just think that type of humor is what gets the most sincere and honest reaction. People laugh the hardest and loudest when they're laughing at something they "shouldn't laugh at", it's scientifically proven fact.

You don't even wanna know how many jokes I've typed and deleted without posting in that Little Mermaid thread. The temptation is always there but I just don't need the hassle.

BUT, if it's an actual In-Person social event where things are a lot more loose and nobody's keeping records, and the subject of that movie comes up... I maaaaaaay drop a line about "...So where'd she even learn to swim...? I mean y'know... historically, they're not great at that..." and it will get huge laughs from people insisting "That's not funny" while nonetheless pissing down their f*cking leg at the sheer audacity.

It all actually works out very well in Real Life though, because in Real Life you can tell when I'm just being cheeky. Everyone on the internet thinks you MEAN this sh*t and that's not only alarming but also is why nobody makes jokes anymore and why everyone is so hyper-sensitive. I still remember the days when you could joke about having a pile of dead hookers in your crawlspace and the natural reaction was to laugh, not be all "OMG WTF bro".

We've regressed, I think.
----------

As for "what kind of humor amuses me in entertainment", that's a whole other conversation, and I can only really say "Not too much", because I find most comedic entertainment to be very, very forced and try-hard, to the point where it annoys me and I don't laugh. So I instead focused my answer on my own personal sense of humor, rather than which "humorous" things in media entertain me.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 03:21 PM   #3
Prowler
Emperor

Well, I don't think that just because a large group of people took offence to a particular joke that it should be censored or cancelled anyway.

There's jokes I don't like, but I'd be quite a pussy if I wanted them censored just because they annoy me.
Old 10-17-2022, 05:36 PM   #4
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Sense of humor we have or what we like?

Personally... been told I tend to lean more into the dry sort of humor. A bit of deadpan, wit, snark...

As far as what I like? I dunno, I guess largely witty sort of stuff and what makes you think for a moment before you get it. I don't mind some dark humor...to a point. (Free speech and all that, nothing is off limits to be joked on, though others have just as much free speech to show you the line when you've gone too far.)

Dumb, lowbrow stuff annoys me, likewise being crass and trollish for laughs is too juvenile to me.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 05:56 PM   #5
Prowler
Emperor

I agree that humour should have no lines drawn. Pretty much any subject can be made fun of. Of course certain subjects require more tact than others. Like OK, don't joke about someone else's relative dying of cancer or AIDS, but a general joke about cancer or AIDS can be funny if well crafted.
Old 10-17-2022, 06:00 PM   #6
Leo656
The Franchise

Sometimes, admittedly, it doesn't take much and can be pretty stupid.

Like, my wife and I have a lot of inside jokes that are pretty dumb. One of them is, we both crack up when watching The Karate Kid, when Daniel asks Miyagi where all his cars came from and Miyagi just says, "DETROIT!" all bombastically. It's just the way he says it all emphatically... "DEEE-TROIT!" So it became a meme. Least once a week this dumb sh*t'll happen...

Her: "Where'd these batteries come from?"
Me: "DEE-TROIT!"
Her: "(Sigh)......"
Me: "Stop asking me where sh*t comes from."
Her: "WHY ARE YOU LIKE THIS?!"

It still hasn't gotten old. Stupid, yes, but not so stupid we ever miss a chance to do it.

Old 10-18-2022, 09:02 PM   #7
Prowler
Emperor

Humour varies by country and region.

What's called British humour is actually a pretty common kind of humour all across Europe. I guess the English were just fast enough to market it that way.

Then you watch Japanese anime and the humour seems more based around word puns, perverted characters getting punched or slapped or someone who loves to eat.
Old 10-18-2022, 09:03 PM   #8
Cowabung-Gal
Mad Scientist

Politically incorrect.
Old 10-18-2022, 09:06 PM   #9
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowabung-Gal View Post
Politically incorrect.
A lot of great politically incorrect jokes out there, but for some reason society and the media will just label them as racist nowadays.

"I like a man whose sense of humour doesn't make fun of women or minorities".

What can you joke about, then?
Old 10-18-2022, 09:30 PM   #10
Cowabung-Gal
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
A lot of great politically incorrect jokes out there, but for some reason society and the media will just label them as racist nowadays.

"I like a man whose sense of humour doesn't make fun of women or minorities".

What can you joke about, then?
You can only poke fun at straight white men.
Old 10-18-2022, 09:34 PM   #11
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowabung-Gal View Post
You can only poke fun at straight white men.
Which is silly and ironically racist, but people don't seem to realise that.

Everyone makes fun of everyone. And that's how it should be. As long as the joke is funny, who cares?

And even if you're not amused by a joke, that doesn't mean you have the right to get it cancelled. That's a very dangerous precedent to set.

Last edited by Prowler; 10-18-2022 at 10:23 PM.
Old 10-18-2022, 10:03 PM   #12
Leo656
The Franchise

So a guy and his neighbor's kid are taking a walk in the woods. It gets dark. Spooky. Pitch-black, no moon, foggy. Owls hooting, branches snapping, rustling in the leaves. A wolf howls.

The little girl says, "Boy, it sure is scary out here!"

The man says... "YOU'RE scared?! I have to find my way home ALONE in all this!"

Spoiler:

Old 10-18-2022, 10:23 PM   #13
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Dark humor and non-PC jokes.

I remember a time I was gonna meet a girl's parents and asked my buds for advice. The first thing they told me was 'eh... maybe tone down the dark humor'.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 10:25 PM   #14
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Dark humor and non-PC jokes.

I remember a time I was gonna meet a girl's parents and asked my buds for advice. The first thing they told me was 'eh... maybe tone down the dark humor'.
I remember when you kept joking about White Shredder in the Bay Turtles movie and apparently a few people actually took offense to your jokes. Maybe the terms you used are really offensive in the US or something, but it always seemed pretty obvious to me that you were just joking. I didn't get any hate speech vibes coming from you.
Old 10-18-2022, 10:45 PM   #15
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I remember when you kept joking about White Shredder in the Bay Turtles movie and apparently a few people actually took offense to your jokes. Maybe the terms you used are really offensive in the US or something, but it always seemed pretty obvious to me that you were just joking. I didn't get any hate speech vibes coming from you.
I try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt regardless of race, gender and other such things people use to divide us.

But the whole original idea of General Shroeder or whatever or Finch being Shredder was just stupid.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Old 10-18-2022, 10:48 PM   #16
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
I try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt regardless of race, gender and other such things people use to divide us.

But the whole original idea of General Shroeder or whatever or Finch being Shredder was just stupid.
It sure was. Which is probably why you made jokes about it.

Fortunately they actually gave up on that idea, otherwise that movie would have been even worse.

And no, Kevin Nash as Super Shredder doesn't count.
Old 10-18-2022, 10:53 PM   #17
Leo656
The Franchise

Coola's probably the least-hateful person here if anything. Getting him to say a sincerely nasty word about anyone is like pulling f*cking teeth.

Sometimes you really gotta know a person to "get" them and their humor. I do believe I am one of those people. I get away with f*cking murder from the people who know me well. Like I won't go so far as to claim "N-Word Privileges" but my mixed-race group of friends have always allowed me to push the envelope super-hard, because... they know I don't mean it. They'd cap most anyone else for saying the same sh*t, but they know me, so it's just altogether different. Nor would I say the same godawful sh*t in front of Random NPCs that I say in front of mi compadres.

My best friend through High School and beyond was black (We still talk but he moved far away and had kids so You Know How It Is), like we lived at each others' houses off and on and he moved in with me and my Dad for like a LONG time. Named his son after me.

One time, he comes over on Martin Luther King Day to hang out. My Dad greets him at the door, giant sh*t-eating grin on his face, and says "HEY man, Happy James Earl Ray Day!" And my buddy, Bless Him, was hardly even paying attention, so he says hey, takes three steps, stops and turns around like, "...Wait, what...?" And again my Dad was like, "Happy James Earl Ray Day! Too bad he got one'a the good ones, I think he was aiming for somebody else..." And my buddy started cracking up, legit. "HAH! Yeah, yeah, f*ck you, Rich... that was good, though..."

An hour later we're playing N64 and he starts laughing so hard he has to pause the game. "Dude... I love your Dad, he's so f*cking stupid."

A qualifier for that story involves the fact that my Dad also once forcefully removed a guy from our house for making a racist remark about that same kid. "That kid's family, he can be here all he wants, YOU I don't wanna see around here again, motherf*cker."

I believe the length of your leash has a lot to do with how well you know the person you're speaking to, and it pays to adjust accordingly. That said, many people nowadays really ARE too sensitive. Just telling these same stories would get me cancelled on Twitter, for sure, because most people nowadays have no care for context and nuance. They'd just be like "Your Dad made a racist joke and you didn't immediately disown him so you're an awful person." Never mind that my buddy was in on it, most people wouldn't care.

Old 10-18-2022, 11:11 PM   #18
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Coola's probably the least-hateful person here if anything. Getting him to say a sincerely nasty word about anyone is like pulling f*cking teeth.

Sometimes you really gotta know a person to "get" them and their humor. I do believe I am one of those people. I get away with f*cking murder from the people who know me well. Like I won't go so far as to claim "N-Word Privileges" but my mixed-race group of friends have always allowed me to push the envelope super-hard, because... they know I don't mean it. They'd cap most anyone else for saying the same sh*t, but they know me, so it's just altogether different. Nor would I say the same godawful sh*t in front of Random NPCs that I say in front of mi compadres.

My best friend through High School and beyond was black (We still talk but he moved far away and had kids so You Know How It Is), like we lived at each others' houses off and on and he moved in with me and my Dad for like a LONG time. Named his son after me.

One time, he comes over on Martin Luther King Day to hang out. My Dad greets him at the door, giant sh*t-eating grin on his face, and says "HEY man, Happy James Earl Ray Day!" And my buddy, Bless Him, was hardly even paying attention, so he says hey, takes three steps, stops and turns around like, "...Wait, what...?" And again my Dad was like, "Happy James Earl Ray Day! Too bad he got one'a the good ones, I think he was aiming for somebody else..." And my buddy started cracking up, legit. "HAH! Yeah, yeah, f*ck you, Rich... that was good, though..."

An hour later we're playing N64 and he starts laughing so hard he has to pause the game. "Dude... I love your Dad, he's so f*cking stupid."

A qualifier for that story involves the fact that my Dad also once forcefully removed a guy from our house for making a racist remark about that same kid. "That kid's family, he can be here all he wants, YOU I don't wanna see around here again, motherf*cker."

I believe the length of your leash has a lot to do with how well you know the person you're speaking to, and it pays to adjust accordingly. That said, many people nowadays really ARE too sensitive. Just telling these same stories would get me cancelled on Twitter, for sure, because most people nowadays have no care for context and nuance. They'd just be like "Your Dad made a racist joke and you didn't immediately disown him so you're an awful person." Never mind that my buddy was in on it, most people wouldn't care.
Not only would they want you to disown your dad, they would either feel your friend was an 'Uncle Tom' for not getting offended or try to explain to him why he should have been offended and whatnot.

Old 10-19-2022, 12:02 AM   #19
Leo656
The Franchise

Right?

He had kids with a white girl; first time he showed me a picture of his son he was like "That's my little Oreo Cookie!"

I defy anyone to tell him his sense of humor is "bad".

Powder kinda banged the nail, Up Here in NY/NJ area people just have a much thicker skin and a lot of what he discussed was close to my experiences, as well. For YEARS, the guy I'm talking about and another close friend of ours would come to my place for a weekend - or more if it was Summer - and we had A BLAST. Non-stop pizza and soda (beer if it was there; yeah we were underage, we also weren't alcoholics so nobody cared if you had 1 or 2), video games and porn, sh*t was a f*cking blast and I'd give anything to have One More of those weekends with those guys.

But in between having all that fun, you gotta blow off steam, and so we hacked on each other. A LOT. Gay jokes. Racist jokes. "I f*cked your Mom" jokes. Anything you "can't say", we said a million, billion times. And we'd laugh until we were literally in tears. Sometimes it would instigate a little play-fight and we'd roll around for a while, all in good fun.

First time my wife hung out with us as a group, she was aghast. She barely said a word because she just... wasn't ready. After a while, we were like "Are you okay?" And she was like, "...I thought you guys were FRIENDS, how can you SAY that stuff to each other?"

And we all just looked at each other, totally confused. "Whattya mean? We love each other! F*ck'samatter with you?!" And she "gets it" Now but no way is she One Of Those People, like you can't tease her AT ALL or she gets insanely pissed. Not everybody is like me and my buddies were, and I get that.

But if you ARE like that, or you know people like that and it's just how you/they have fun, then leave it be. Don't impose your will, don't tell someone they "should" be offended if they're not... just f*cking Don't.

Like, if my Best F*cking Friend offers to grab me a soda, and I tell him to "Stepin Fetchit", and he does a little jig on his way out to the kitchen... that's OUR f*cking business, comprende? YOU can't do that sh*t, you're not in on it. He will knock YOU the f*ck out. WE have our own vibe and we don't like people f*cking with it.

If more people could grasp these nuances the world would be a much better place.

Old 10-19-2022, 09:11 AM   #20
frank_one
Mad Scientist

It's always sunny in Philadelphia, the one with Danny De Vito. That's the kind of humour I can't resist. As for MY kind of humour, I don't know, probably something much more contained and polite.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote