The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 06-22-2017, 03:10 AM   #1
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

When did Krang first come to Earth?

Do anyone have any ideas when Krang in the 1987-1996 series first came to Earth? This fansite has a fanfic called "The Exile of Krang" which mentions 1987.

http://www.thetechnodrome.com/fanfics/eok/eok.shtml

But no way. If Hamato Yoshi left Japan in let's say the late-1960's or early-1970's, Shredder and Krang probably teamed up by the early-1970's, and the turtles probably mutating as new-born (seing them mutate in "Turtle Tracks" is just a flashback). So Krang must have came on Earth at least by the late-1960's or early-1970's, if not earlier.

The episode "Atlantis Awakes" says Merdude was 200 years old, which means some mutagen was on Earth by the 1790's (anyway, strange mutagen making him live that long).

But on the other hand, Krang and other of his species teleported an Impervium stone to Earth in a flashback-scene. They, or some other species in Dimension X earlier, might have don the same to the mutagen.

Last edited by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan; 06-22-2017 at 03:19 AM.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 03:46 AM   #2
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

I always presumed he came to earth in late 1987 at around the same time as the first season aired since alot of episodes say they take place in the year they aired, for e.g. the episode "Once upon Time machine ", which was aired in 1991, notes its present time as 1991.

I don't think there would've been too much time passing between Krang being banished to earth and him meeting Shredder, less than a year before the events of the first season begin.

Also, I don't see why the flashback in Turtle Tracks doesn't prove that the turtles were grown when they mutated. One of the unique things about the 1987 series was that Splinter was more of a sensei than a father to the turtles, and it would make sense for him to be like that if the turtles were already teenagers when mutated rather than babies.

Does the Atlantis Awakes state merdude was a mutant? I haven't seen the episode in quite a while, but I don't recall anyone stating that the creatures of Atlantis were mutants. I just assumed they were fantasy creatures in the show like Hokum Hare and Mr. Ogg.

Last edited by FredWolfLeonardo; 06-22-2017 at 03:55 AM.
FredWolfLeonardo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 04:34 AM   #3
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
Does the Atlantis Awakes state merdude was a mutant? I haven't seen the episode in quite a while, but I don't recall anyone stating that the creatures of Atlantis were mutants. I just assumed they were fantasy creatures in the show like Hokum Hare and Mr. Ogg.
Haven't seen it for a while, just read it a Turtlepedia.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:32 AM   #4
neatoman
Emperor

I guess that's another thing David Wise was too lazy think of, just like how the training period for the Turtles can't match up with Shredder's plans for the Technodrome and Hamato Yoshi's immediate retreat into the sewers.

If you want an answer, long enough to contact Shredder but not so long that his troops would disband. Though given that we're talking about aliens, alternate dimensions and the odd choice of picking a crime lord to build an android body instead of a scientist, who knows how long that is?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 08:45 AM   #5
Overlord

It seems Krang at least was very old compared to Earth-humans.
Old 06-22-2017, 09:16 AM   #6
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
It seems Krang at least was very old compared to Earth-humans.
Based on what? Is there an obscure line where claimed to have met cowboys or something?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 09:18 AM   #7
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Do anyone have any ideas when Krang in the 1987-1996 series first came to Earth?
What I would like to find out is how long did it take Shredder to meet Krang between him arriving in the USA and their meeting. Was The Foot already causing problems in New York before Krang showed up?

Also trans-dimensional portals are a wonderful thing.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 09:45 AM   #8
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
What I would like to find out is how long did it take Shredder to meet Krang between him arriving in the USA and their meeting. Was The Foot already causing problems in New York before Krang showed up?

Also trans-dimensional portals are a wonderful thing.
There was no Foot in New York City in the original series, just Shredder and his robots. However, in Japan Shredder led human Foot which makes sense because he hadn't met Krang then.
Old 06-29-2017, 08:37 AM   #9
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
There was no Foot in New York City in the original series, just Shredder and his robots. However, in Japan Shredder led human Foot which makes sense because he hadn't met Krang then.
I got them confused, that what I meant. Let me rephrase that question:

I would like to find out is how long did it take Shredder to meet Krang between him arriving in the USA and their meeting. Was The Foot already causing problems in Japan before Krang showed up?
Old 06-29-2017, 03:05 PM   #10
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Based on what? Is there an obscure line where claimed to have met cowboys or something?
I guess it was Shreeka who said he abandoned her eons ago. I know it can just mean a long time, but you don't call even 100 Earth-years an eon (even if he probably isn't even millions of Earth-years old).
Old 06-29-2017, 08:34 PM   #11
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
That might have just been a figure of speech. As in "it was AGES ago" meaning simply a long time.

Then again, Krang seems to have been on Earth for quite a while. Long enough for Shredder to have helped build the Technodrome and start using Krang's tech to build his Foot-bots and using them to commit crimes in New York. Soba few years at least.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 11:39 AM   #12
Panther10
Hench Mutant

I believe it happened much earlier than Yoshi's exile to America. In my view it seems more likely that Krang was somehow involved with Oroku Saki's eventual coup d'etat of the foot clan. After years of unsuccessful attempts at overthrowing and undermining Hamato Yoshi on his own, Either or Krang (or Saki) agreed to offer their services in exchange for cementing Saki into becoming the de facto leader of the foot clan and eventually, using the clan and its resources to aid Krang in the eventual conquest of Earth.
Panther10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 02:56 PM   #13
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Then again, Krang seems to have been on Earth for quite a while. Long enough for Shredder to have helped build the Technodrome and start using Krang's tech to build his Foot-bots and using them to commit crimes in New York.
I kind of doubt Shredder helped Krang build the Technodrome, Krang pretty much stole it by that point didn't he? Shredder was more a companion or passenger in the early days.
Old 07-06-2017, 03:08 PM   #14
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
That might have just been a figure of speech. As in "it was AGES ago" meaning simply a long time.

Then again, Krang seems to have been on Earth for quite a while. Long enough for Shredder to have helped build the Technodrome and start using Krang's tech to build his Foot-bots and using them to commit crimes in New York. Soba few years at least.
I don't think that's how it intended to be, since Splinter was very confused about Shredder suddenly getting so much technology compared to how it was in Japan.

However, I also think Krang came to Earth around that time or earlier. But not interacting with Shredder until later.
Old 05-12-2018, 10:57 PM   #15
Prowler
Emperor

Man, how Krang and Shredder met has always been something I wanted to know about this series. I've been wondering about it since 1996 or so.

Shredder mentioned he gained "advanced technology" when he got to USA only, so it seems obvious to me he met Krang in USA. Now, how Shredder got to USA and ran into Krang, who knows. Also, I know Shredder was determined to kill Yoshi, but hwy not just send a few henchmen or something? Surely Shredder was too busy being the leader of the Foot Clan(now a criminal organisation) in Japan to just go looking for Yoshi in USA?Ah good ol' Fred Wolf inconsistencies.

Another thing I've always wondered was Krang's life as ruler of Dimension X. What was it like.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 11:06 PM   #16
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I've wondered that myself.

Whatever way it was, Shredder would probably have more appropriately to Krang than in the PD film .

Even if it was just "terrified fascination" than the most appropriate "sheer terror"
Old 05-12-2018, 11:12 PM   #17
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
I've wondered that myself.

Whatever way it was, Shredder would probably have more appropriately to Krang than in the PD film .

Even if it was just "terrified fascination" than the most appropriate "sheer terror"
You could tell Shredder didn't fully trust Krang at first. He even told him so and hesitated in giving him a body. Only reason Krang granted him advanced technology was because Shredder had promised him a body in exchange. Funny thing is, Shredder was WAY more willing to betray Krang than the other way around.

Also, I wonder why Krang stopped calling Shredder"Saki" after the first season. I loved that ****
Old 05-12-2018, 11:15 PM   #18
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Yeah, that's a pretty good observation. Probably because someone on the writing staff forgot how Japanese naming conventions work
Old 05-12-2018, 11:23 PM   #19
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
Yeah, that's a pretty good observation. Probably because someone on the writing staff forgot how Japanese naming conventions work
Forgot? Did they even know? I think people who worked on this show knew as much about Japan as Eastman and Laird did.
Old 05-12-2018, 11:30 PM   #20
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

True. As far as I could tell, E&L at least knew the family name came first.

Though, if Krang was addressing Shredder on a "personal name" basis in the first season, someone had to know and then the ball got dropped.