The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Would you like the idea of the turtles being aleins?
Absolutly! 5 2.70%
It doesn't matter to me 29 15.68%
Terrible! 151 81.62%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-17-2012, 01:34 PM   #21
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
It's bizarre and changes everything the franchise is about. Talk about a slap in the face to fans.
Drama queen.

Depending on how they write it, it could end up being quite similar despite the origin being totally reworked.

However, my main concern (if this alien business happens to be "worst case scenario") is what's Splinter's deal? Does there just so happen to be a race of Rat people living on a sister planet?
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 01:35 PM   #22
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
I don't doubt the Turtles will be aliens. They said in the link they updated the origin from the radioactive waste product.

It's bizarre and changes everything the franchise is about. Talk about a slap in the face to fans.
The idea, kind of like the IDW change-ups, are probably to make the TMNT's origin for some purpose (which will doubtlessly connect to whoever the main villain of the story will be, probably Krang... "I made you, Turtles! I can unmake you!" blah blah blah, I can see it now) rather than just a chance occurrence/freak accident.

For some reason that seems to bother people outside of Kevin and Peter, the origin as just a random thing. But you listen to them talk and they seem to regard it as a pretty definitive aspect of what makes them who they are -- you know, they just are.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 01:40 PM   #23
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
The idea, kind of like the IDW change-ups, are probably to make the TMNT's origin for some purpose (which will doubtlessly connect to whoever the main villain of the story will be, probably Krang... "I made you, Turtles! I can unmake you!" blah blah blah, I can see it now) rather than just a chance occurrence/freak accident.

For some reason that seems to bother people outside of Kevin and Peter, the origin as just a random thing. But you listen to them talk and they seem to regard it as a pretty definitive aspect of what makes them who they are -- you know, they just are.
But this implies the Turtles are already intelligent, sentinent beings instead of being turtles that get mutated.

I suppose they should retitle the movie, "Teenage Alien Ninja Turtles."
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 01:46 PM   #24
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
But this implies the Turtles are already intelligent, sentinent beings instead of being turtles that get mutated.
Put a Superman spin on it and they're good to go.
Old 03-17-2012, 01:47 PM   #25
Toby Barrett
Stone Warrior

They can fly the Turtle Blimp at super speeds, reversing the planet's rotation!
Toby Barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 01:49 PM   #26
Baxter Stockmen
Foot Soldier

I'm really just hoping it was him being ignorant and assumed they had to be aliens.

Sure they may want to reinvent the turtles, but making them aliens is just plain lazy in my opinion.

Oh, i'm looking for a Sideshow Statues.
Baxter Stockmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 01:49 PM   #27
Bob
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
However, my main concern (if this alien business happens to be "worst case scenario") is what's Splinter's deal? Does there just so happen to be a race of Rat people living on a sister planet?
Yeah, where will Splinter fit into all this?
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 01:51 PM   #28
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Put a Superman spin on it and they're good to go.
So the Turtles come from a race of Turtle people now?

Perhaps the writers got the inspiration of this movie from the Planet of the Turtles episode of Season 4 of the old show.

Will we also be seeing the return of Rupert the Turtle salesman?
Old 03-17-2012, 01:54 PM   #29
ToTheNines
[sic]

I'm surprised no one's drawn comparison to Slash from TMNTA.
Old 03-17-2012, 01:56 PM   #30
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

I'm not taking what Bay is saying as good fish before someone more credible confirms it, the dude can make good explosions, that's it.

This thread is prematurely dumb.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 02:04 PM   #31
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
I'm surprised no one's drawn comparison to Slash from TMNTA.
I don't think people mind the idea of alien turtle planets or alternate dimensions with turtle people.

But our Turtles are from Earth, they aren't aliens or humans.
Old 03-17-2012, 02:05 PM   #32
Killer Moth
Hench Mutant

If we do end up with a more alien origin, then what Dr.Spengler wrote in his review for the first Mirage issue becomes more prophetic than ever:

"This very first TMNT issue is, of course, the genesis of the franchise. I mean, all the movies and cartoons and other comics have done their own variation of this story; it’s as vital to the characters as "Superman and Krypton" or "Batman and depressing childhood trauma". Though one thing you have to keep in mind is that it was originally conceived as a one-shot parody of Frank Miller’s “Daredevil” (that was supposed to be Matt Murdok getting beaned in the eyes with the ooze canister) with some “X-Men” mixed in for good measure. So with that in mind, it’s kind of a weird story.

"Firstly, the “Daredevil” bit is pretty in-your-face if you’re even remotely acquainted with the character and his origin. It can be a little distracting. I mean, try to imagine if the Turtles’ origin went like this: “The Turtles stowed away on a spaceship carrying an infant, which crash-landed in a small town in Kansas, the yellow rays of the sun turning them into humanoid mutants”. Honestly, it’s more or less the same thing, just with Daredevil."

Link: http://tmntentity.blogspot.com/2009/...t-vol-1-1.html

It's also a good observation, as his Superman analogy kept popping in my head when I first read the new movie plot details. So, instead, one superhero origin might be swapped for another, albeit with quite different circumstances and outcomes. As long as we keep the original comic parody in mind, it may not be as insufferable as it sounds now (plus, as Andrew and others mentioned, an alien race's waste by-product did jump-start the whole process). To be generous, such a plotpoint is only taking the alien aspect to their origin to its absolute extreme. Personally speaking, I'm not crazy about the idea, but I can understand it if rationalized in such a manner.

Last edited by Killer Moth; 03-17-2012 at 02:16 PM.
Killer Moth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 02:30 PM   #33
Baxter Stockmen
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Drama queen.

Depending on how they write it, it could end up being quite similar despite the origin being totally reworked.

Good point. Then it gets to the point where they're diverting too much time and effort to just make the origin story. But if they do it as good as batman begins did then I'll be happy. But they are no Christopher Nolan.

Oh, i'm looking for a Sideshow Statues.
Baxter Stockmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 02:41 PM   #34
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmaga123 View Post
Maybe Michael Bay wasnt aware of the TMNT back story and just assumed they were another race from a different planet like the Transformers LOL. I really hope this is the case or I will be very dissapointed
I am hoping for this.....If they make TMNT aliens I will really dissapointed....
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 02:43 PM   #35
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jephael View Post
Quit trying to silence everyone you don't agree with! People are allowed to express their concerns.
sldjfngdkjfhnadlhfnsdljhnsdxghdkfghlnsdmanflhadnfh kasd;lapietobdt

Okay?

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 02:54 PM   #36
Xav
Foot Elite

Quote:
Perhaps the writers got the inspiration of this movie from the Planet of the Turtles episode of Season 4 of the old show.
Or from Planet of the Turtleoids from season 5. Or maybe, Casey Jones: Outlaw Hero from season 3.

Last edited by Xav; 03-17-2012 at 03:05 PM.
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 02:59 PM   #37
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

If anything, I would bet it's Krang bringing in a bunch of animals to make a mutant army on Earth (an excuse so they can quickly involve other mutants like Bebop, Rocksteady, etc.) for his own ends, but the Rat Mutant does a Caesar "No!" and escapes with the Turtles. Ninjitsu and the Foot Clan (Bay was doing demo fighting with Foot fighters as long ago as over a year) must figure into things somehow, but who knows.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 03:02 PM   #38
ToTheNines
[sic]

That would be so Crash Bandicoot. And not in a good way.
Old 03-17-2012, 03:03 PM   #39
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

That one sentence will haunt me all day.

"These Turtles are from an alien race..."

Is accidental dousing with radioactive ooze really that passè?

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 03:05 PM   #40
CyberCubed
Overlord

There goes all hope of this being a good movie. Why don't they make Batman an alienin the reboot after Nolan's trilogy ends. It's the same deal.

Tags
cancelled media, depressing, gay