The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-30-2018, 05:06 AM   #1
Prowler
Emperor

Good games you don't love

So, we all know there's lots of good and universally loved games(and movies, tv shows, etc) out there, but ofc not everyone likes the same things, so obviously there's some stuff out there that's generally considered good or great but you don't love.

The first major example I can think of is The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker. It has good gameplay sure, and the graphics are nice and sailing was an interesting mechanic; but I dunno, I think it lacks something. For one thing, it's way too easy. Ok, Ocarina of Time wasn't super hard either, but at least, the 3 times I've fully replayed it, I've always died a few times in it or felt like I was close to dying. I never got to know what the game over screen of WW looks like and rarely felt in severe danger. The game doesn't really give you a sense of tension.

Also, I notice a lot of people who praise WW mostly focus on the atmosphere. For me, the game is fine up until the Tower of the Gods, a pretty fun dungeon with a great boss fight, but after that I began losing interest.

Sailing can be a bit annoying at times too, having to play the wind song or wtv it was to change direction, and the triforce quest was boring. That made the game feel a bit incomplete, as in the developers having some complex plans for the triforce but finding themselves on a time constraint. I'd rather just be handed the triforce or just simply not being given at all. That didn't bother me in Ocarina, for example.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles is another one. This is my least favourite of the classic Mega Drive Sonic games. While it's nice to be able to save your progress for once and being able to play as Knuckles, I can't stand some of the levels in this game. Marble Garden and Carnival Night zones are awful. Marble Garden, in particular, is particularly tedious and just seems to drag on and on. Ice Cap Zone is also pretty overrated, imo.

I'd rather even play Sonic 1, despite this game having aged the worse of all the classic Sonic games.

I won't list games I loved as a kid but have stopped loving since then due to ageing, nor will I list games I haven't gotten very far into; but I must say I can't tell what's so special about Super Metroid so far and that has sorta demotivated me to keep on playing it. Maybe it just isn't my type of game, dunno.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote