The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 08-20-2019, 09:15 AM   #121
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordmylar06 View Post
He's one of the main artists on the TMNT Adventures comics. Personally one of my favorite TMNT artists.
Why didn’t NECA make Archie Comics accurate turtles to go in the 2017 SDCC Collectors Case? It would have made more sense, don’t you think?
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 09:22 AM   #122
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey0 View Post
Why didn’t NECA make Archie Comics accurate turtles to go in the 2017 SDCC Collectors Case? It would have made more sense, don’t you think?
I want this. With Chris Allan art.

Back to this figure: I come in this thread just to look at it every day. I have a tiny little obsession going on. Is it the color that is mesmerizing me? So bold and bright.

Anyways, what is the deal with the second head? Is it meant to resemble...the cartoon?
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 10:48 AM   #123
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
I want this. With Chris Allan art.

Back to this figure: I come in this thread just to look at it every day. I have a tiny little obsession going on. Is it the color that is mesmerizing me? So bold and bright.

Anyways, what is the deal with the second head? Is it meant to resemble...the cartoon?
No, the second Ultimate Raphael head is an alternate head to the 1988 action figure that Super7 thought up. The second head is a grinning head for any collector who chooses not to have their Super7 set look like the Playmates originals. Don’t ask me why this wasn’t done for the other three figures. I don’t understand what some toy companies like Super7 are doing in this century. The other accessories to Ultimate Raphael were odd choices for the Ultimate figure also. The 1988 Playmates toy line did not have that many strong ties to the Fred Wolf cartoon. From my standpoint, all Super7 had to include with the Ultimate TMNT figures were the larger reproductions of the weapon racks and colored weapons. They went off the rails, to me, with the Raph alternate head and cartoon alternate accessories. That wasn’t necessary.
Old 08-20-2019, 10:55 AM   #124
Lordmylar06
Stone Warrior

Quote:
It would be great for sure! But I'm not against getting great art on the packaging for the cartoon version of the figures. When and if NECA makes Archie comic accurate figures(Allan or Mitchroney style) I'll be all over it, but I don't have any complaints with what we already have.
Lordmylar06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 10:56 AM   #125
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
No, the second Ultimate Raphael head is an alternate head to the 1988 action figure that Super7 thought up. The second head is a grinning head for any collector who chooses not to have their Super7 set look like the Playmates originals. Don’t ask me why this wasn’t done for the other three figures. I don’t understand what some toy companies like Super7 are doing in this century. The other accessories to Ultimate Raphael were odd choices for the Ultimate figure also. The 1988 Playmates toy line did not have that many strong ties to the Fred Wolf cartoon. From my standpoint, all Super7 had to include with the Ultimate TMNT figures were the larger reproductions of the weapon racks and colored weapons. They went off the rails, to me, with the Raph alternate head and cartoon alternate accessories. That wasn’t necessary.
For a figure like this, that harkens back to the original Playmates line, I think it would have been fun to include some more off-the-wall accessories. Remember all those goofy variants Playmates had of the Turtles as professional athletes, rockstars, monsters, etc?
I'd like to see them play into that more. Give Raph a football helmet, Mikey a skateboard, Donatello a denim jacket, Leonardo a werewolf-head sculpt.

Have fun with it. Anything is better than another slice of plastic pizza.

That said, I do appreciate the second head sculpt. I think an extra head sculpt is always a great accessory. Not to mention, the one they've provided is quite different in appearance to the standard head sculpt - greatly appreciated. And I'll likely pose Raphael with the "shell-com" or whatever it is called, if I purchase him.
Old 08-20-2019, 11:07 AM   #126
mikey0
Foot Elite

None of these 21st century companies will ever do TMNT sculpts that are completely satisfying to all TMNT fans.

All of this future landfill being produced is hurting the earth and the fictional turtles that everyone on here loves would be against that, themselves, in the early 90s.

Old 08-20-2019, 11:20 AM   #127
AquaParade
Banned

Well I'm not the hardest person to please when it comes to figures, but never has a toy satisfied me as much as the Neca TMNT Movie figures. I just adore those things and I'd be surprised if someone could imagine a TMNT figure I'd like more than them.
Old 08-20-2019, 11:42 AM   #128
mikey see
Mad Scientist

Quote:
So, you wouldn’t want to save money by purchasing perfect FW toon turtles with alternate heads, hands, and toes? Am I reading that right?
I'm torn on that point. It would definitely be nice to save money (and space) for sure. I've probably got about 10 versions of the four turtles at this point and that's at least five or six more than I need.

But at the same time, if there's nothing new to collect then what fun is collecting? For a LONG time there wasn't anything for 80s/90s fans to collect other than 80s/90s figures. Now all of sudden there are two really solid options in Super7 and NECA and my money is vanishing rather quickly. So yeah, right now I'd rather pass on some of these iterations and get right to the "good stuff". But this feast isn't going to last forever so I also don't mind living it up a little while there are so many options out there. I'll probably still skip the turtles but I'm very excited to see more mutants.
mikey see is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 12:00 PM   #129
TommyT
Banned

Quote:
Well I'm not the hardest person to please when it comes to figures, but never has a toy satisfied me as much as the Neca TMNT Movie figures. I just adore those things and I'd be surprised if someone could imagine a TMNT figure I'd like more than them.
Yeah, I second this. I may never get my hands on Spliter here in Canada, which sucks, but damn if these Henson turtles aren’t diamonds on the shelf.

Still hoping for a way to pick up the Mirage set, but the ebay landscape is fraught with danger.
TommyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 12:21 PM   #130
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

This is not proof that the Target 2-packs are a different sculpt then the Arcade SDCC set, this is just pictures of the 2008 comic Turtles and the Target 2-packs.

Quote:
There is deep cut lines on the Target 2 pack turtles that were highlighted with black paint like NECA did with the 2008 Mirage Comics turtles. The NECA 1989 arcade turtles do not have those.
The Target 2-packs and Arcade SDCC Turtles share the exact same sculpt, cause the Arcade figures was always intended to be normal non-VGA figures.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 12:23 PM   #131
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
The NECA TMNT movie 1/4 scale and 7 inch figures are the best toy representations for the Jim Henson movie verse by far, but NECA should have stopped there. NECA is great when making excellent movie license toys, but that’s it. It seems the 2008 Mirage comics figures were the only exception to the rule for NECA. The ‘16 arcade turtles do not remind me of the pixels from the 1989 Konami arcade game, but they were a little better than the 2017 SDCC Collector Case exclusive turtles and the Turtles figures shown at the 2019 San Diego Comic Con.

NECA cannot do cartoon characters in their style. It does not mesh well at all and different head sculpts still should have been used for the 2017 SDCC Collector Case turtles even if a consumer were to ignore the line cuts highlighted with black paint. Their 17 SDCC Collectors Case effort for the FW Turtles fans was lazy and pointless.

NECA should stick with movie licenses only from now on. The next Target 2 pack characters should be the last batch of collectibles for FW toon fans.
Old 08-20-2019, 12:29 PM   #132
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
This is not proof that the Target 2-packs are a different sculpt then the Arcade SDCC set, this is just pictures of the 2008 comic Turtles and the Target 2-packs.

The Target 2-packs and Arcade SDCC Turtles share the exact same sculpt, cause the Arcade figures was always intended to be normal non-VGA figures.
I never said that the Target 2 packs were completely different sculpts from the 1989 Konami Arcade set. I was pointing out how both the 2017 and 2019 Cartoon set was similar to the NECA 2008 Mirage Comics Turtles set. Besides, I would have to post a link for the pictures of the Arcade SDCC turtles figures. I could look for some pictures of the SDCC Arcade turtles set from this forum, but that would take too long to do for me.

The Arcade turtles look much better than the Target 2 pack figures that share the same body and head molds with, but they still do not remind me of the Konami turtle pixels.

As I said in my last post, NECA should make movie license toys exclusively. Other mediums are not their strong suit.
Old 08-20-2019, 12:39 PM   #133
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
I never said that the Target 2 packs were completely different sculpts from the 1989 Konami Arcade set.
Then you should have phrased yourself better, cause writing about "deep cut lines" indicated you thought the 2-pack versions had a different sculpt.

Quote:
As I said in my last post, NECA should make movie license toys exclusively. Other mediums are not their strong suit.
uh huh. I guess they should have made the FW figures as bad as Playmates Classics
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 02:25 PM   #134
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
Then you should have phrased yourself better, cause writing about "deep cut lines" indicated you thought the 2-pack versions had a different sculpt.

uh huh. I guess they should have made the FW figures as bad as Playmates Classics
The Playmates Classic Michelangelo head sculpt is far from bad in my eyes.
Old 08-20-2019, 02:35 PM   #135
Coro
Mad Scientist

Quote:
The Playmates Classic Michelangelo head sculpt is far from bad in my eyes.

I have yet to see anything from Playmates that didnt look like absolute garbage compared to the figure lines that you have trashed in the last 3 pages of forum...

Coro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 02:46 PM   #136
TommyT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coro View Post
I have yet to see anything from Playmates that didnt look like absolute garbage compared to the figure lines that you have trashed in the last 3 pages of forum...
Ditto.

@mikey0

Man, I’m lost now. This entire time I thought you were mad at neca for making turtles that were not screen accurate. Now, I don’t know what your ish is.
TommyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 03:01 PM   #137
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coro View Post
I see what you are saying. The head sculpt did not save the Classic Collection Michelangelo at all.

All of the 21st century Playmates Toys figures along with NECA Arcade and Cartoon lines are forgettable.
Old 08-20-2019, 03:02 PM   #138
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyT View Post
Ditto.

@mikey0

Man, I’m lost now. This entire time I thought you were mad at neca for making turtles that were not screen accurate. Now, I don’t know what your ish is.

The NECA Mirage Comics and 1990 Movie Turtles are lines are breakthroughs in collector lines for Turtles fans, but nothing else.
Old 08-20-2019, 03:30 PM   #139
Lordmylar06
Stone Warrior

Quote:
The NECA Mirage Comics and 1990 Movie Turtles are lines are breakthroughs in collector lines for Turtles fans, but nothing else.
Agree to disagree. Demand for the others you've been critical of also contradicts your opinion.
Lordmylar06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 03:33 PM   #140
cloud
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Because they were repaints of the video game turtles the year before. While the Shredder and Foot were repaints of the sculpts that developed back in 2008-2010.
cloud is offline   Reply With Quote