The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 01-24-2018, 09:02 PM   #7961
Katie
Just...way too serious.

I’m definitely not worried about this guy costing me my job. He’s not in any position of authority to me, the management in the department generally dislikes him, and even he knows he couldn’t do my job.

I just supremely dislike being reprimended for speaking up against something that should never have been revealed in the workplace in the first place. And I really don’t like being told I need to be softer when I am the only female on my team and one of 10 in a department of over 300 workers.

My grind today is lingering effects of Flu/Myco infection from the first of the month. My ribs are so sore from coughing
Old 01-24-2018, 09:41 PM   #7962
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Bonus grind... when things are just really stupidly made harder than they need to be and given info/instructions doesn't match what the heck you're looking at and/or doesn't tell you enough.

Esp when it comes to navigating W2/tax stuff for work via work and tax websites, everything seems to fight against you to make it as hard as possible and at some point it's unnecessarily frustrating enough to want to stab something... (And come to realize that the main site that was fighting me the most I was able to not bother with after all. Ugh. So what was its purpose?)

Then finally you get working on the taxes and get most of the way done, only to have the online program tell you that the State isn't ready to file yet, come back later. >.> (I think that applies to everyone, so... just fyi in that case. Mine said it would be available Friday.)
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 07:57 AM   #7963
Vegita-San
Emperor

Over on another forum, the only one I ever was banned at in 30 years, I found out something that really gets my gears up in a grind.

Apparently one of the biggest trolls on the site, a disney 'investor' that is for some reason allowed to get away with causing alot of strife and confrontation on the site, and openly do stuff that gets other people banned.....lead a whole campaign against me in a 'secret' paid section of the forum that I didn't even see.

Would explain why I got a warning for defending myself against these idiots claims (one of only 4 times I addressed things directly in public oddly enough) and soon got banned after I told a mod, 'want it to stop, how about going after the people causing the problems in the first place?'....

some people think this place is rough, and it is, but that place is one of the few cespits I've been in and only one of those I stopped looking at cold turkey.
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 08:34 AM   #7964
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Sounds to me like they did you a favor.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 06:34 PM   #7965
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Isn't an automotive jack one of those things that you don't just buy at random at a store...like if you go pick one up you more than likely actually went there for one?

Then who the heck takes it to the second floor then changes their mind and leaves this heavy ass thing I can't even pick up next to the price check, so away far from the downstairs department it belongs in... >.> Grr.

So tired of people dropping crap everywhere and seeming to feel that since we're liquidating it's totally okay to trash the place, but a super heavy jack...? Now that's just too much.
Old 01-28-2018, 12:55 AM   #7966
Refractive Reflections
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie View Post
No he is. He had no way of knowing what my actual political beliefs were when he said those things. I don’t talk politics at work. It’s rude and causes problems. I had enough after SEVERAL conversations which I ignored, so he probably thought he was safe saying that stuff. I am not hot tempered and I wasn’t loud or rude. I told him to stop saying that stuff around me.

He doesn’t affect my work quality, I still do my thing and clean up his lazy work daily. That’s the other thing. He constantly asks me for help doing his work and doesn’t bother to learn what he’s doing. He’s a failed manager from another department and because my company won’t fire people he got reassigned and is bitter about it.

He constantly talks to his college age daughters and says the same stuff to them.

He’s not messing with me. Even if he was that’s a dick move. He’s really just a scared old white dude who thinks all brown people are out to kill him or steal his job/kids/life. He says that stuff all the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie View Post
I’m definitely not worried about this guy costing me my job. He’s not in any position of authority to me, the management in the department generally dislikes him, and even he knows he couldn’t do my job.

I just supremely dislike being reprimended for speaking up against something that should never have been revealed in the workplace in the first place. And I really don’t like being told I need to be softer when I am the only female on my team and one of 10 in a department of over 300 workers.

My grind today is lingering effects of Flu/Myco infection from the first of the month. My ribs are so sore from coughing
Yeah, I don't know why people would bring up politics at work. It's basically career suicide, but anyways...

When you say "clean up his lazy work", are you obligated to do so? If not, don't help him out at all. If you are forced to work with him on projects/tasks, be sure to emphasize his horrible work ethic to your superiors when you complain about him next time, at least from a business perspective it will be more of a reason to get him out somehow with his lack of productivity. (But I have a feeling you already tried these things. ) ...And the company won't fire people? Oh brother , that's one way to sink a business's bottom line.

If he's that incompetent and unmotivated to learn things at work, no wonder he thinks the "brown people" are out to get his life. This is just my two cents from what I'm reading here, but your rising star work ethic is probably highlighting just how bad of an employee he really is. I mean if he already feels some threatening nebulous presence of "brown people" generally, I'm sure seeing you (being a woman, and biracial) is driving the perceived threat in a much more direct, upfront way for him.
Refractive Reflections is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 02:10 PM   #7967
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Grind for today- when people (mostly customers) start messing with the tv in the dining area, presumably to turn up the volume, only to end up f*king up the satelite link because they start pushing buttons and don't know what they are doing. Then they complain because they can't watch the news. And WHO has to take time from other tasks to fix it??! Yup, yours truly- because apparently I am the only crew member or even manager during the day who can figure out how to work the remote or turn up the volume without jacking things up.

It's aggravating when I have to spend ten minutes in between taking orders or making drinks or whatever, to run back and forth from the dining area to the office and vack to try to get the d@*n thing back on their precious news channel. (And it's Fox, so that just makes it even more annoying.) And I'm also apparently the only one who even knows which channel number it IS!

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 05:00 PM   #7968
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

When you're starving and start eating dinner, I guess a little too eagerly, and bite the hell out of your tongue, enough to draw blood, so you stop to wait for it to stop bleeding... But now it's still sore.
Old 01-29-2018, 05:10 PM   #7969
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Owww, that's the worst!

Especially when it's the side of the tongue against the molars...
Old 01-29-2018, 05:15 PM   #7970
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

And that's just where it is.

Only thing I can think of equally fun as that is stabbing oneself in the roof of the mouth with a nacho chip; also drawing blood. Have done that plenty of times over the years, too.
Old 01-29-2018, 05:46 PM   #7971
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Yeaah, that sucks pretty bad too.

Meanwhile, I think my decision to give my snake more dirt in his tank has...culminated in too much dirt. Twice as much as normal.
But, since he's a ball python, he'd probably appreciate the extra.

We'll see how he does...
Old 02-02-2018, 03:51 PM   #7972
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Keeping an eye on one of those memory foam pillows we have at work, waiting for the price to go down. It had been 30% off, like much of the Home department, but it's pricey for what it is imo ($80 regularly, but it's not even the most expensive we have...absurd for a pillow) and that price still sucked. It was expected to drop to 40% off today, so I thought IF the checkout somehow isn't busy maybe I'd grab it after my shift. I'd like the price to be lower, but I have about $9 in points to offset it at least a little more and I want to get it before anyone noticed it stashed under the counter. We're not really supposed to hold stuff anymore since we're liquidating, but there's only two, dammit. (And don't like the others; between some being too thin or a neck breaking shape, too costly, and many of them seem too hard to be comfortable... but this one seems decent.)

So I go in early today to help change the liquidation signs. Pretty much everything on that floor was going to be a little better in price - EXCEPT the Home department. Instead of going to 40% as I'd expected, the price went back up to only 25% off, after being 30% the last two weeks. OH, COME ON. Wtf. Disappointed... Way to "liquidate"... really trying to move that merchandise.
Old 02-02-2018, 05:20 PM   #7973
Katie
Just...way too serious.

Ohhhhhhh I have one of those that came with my parents’ memory foam mattress. My mom didn’t like it so I took it. It’s fabulous. Best pillow I ever had.
Old 02-02-2018, 05:26 PM   #7974
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Yeah. Like, they're expensive for a reason. Even then, $80 is on the less expensive side of what I've seen.
Old 02-03-2018, 03:45 PM   #7975
Jephael
That whack job behind you

My own stupid emotional problems grind my gears. Life's too darn short, people. Hug your loved ones, tell them you care and grab your happiness like it's a long lost toy you just recovered in the attic... that is if your parents still live where you grew up. Take care everyone and have a great new year!!!

www.jephael.com
Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 09:24 PM   #7976
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

After a little bit of stewing over it...yeah, I'm going to do this here and say that the newest Midwife episode was...awful.

Spoiler:
Why did they bring in Magda at all if she was just going to leave in her second episode? And the circumstances in which she left were...not great for a two-episode character that isn't a patient.

AND LET TRIXIE BE HAPPY. She was doing so good in her AA meetings and then she just...goes back to drinking after making a sh!t decision that isn't good for anyone involved in it???

Phyllis better whip some sense into her in the next episode, I swear, because I will not stand for Trixie being miserable.
Old 02-06-2018, 11:16 AM   #7977
Lisardo
Stone Warrior

Getting laid off.

Lisardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 12:11 PM   #7978
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Aw, that sucks! Sorry to hear. Total sympathy, given the upcoming loss of my own. (At least mine won't be a surprise.) Hope you find something else soon.

Grinds...

When your last name is one letter different than a much more common (and related) surname just about everyone has heard, so that when you try to search your surname in FB or where ever, these sites are insistent on giving you results for the other name rather than focus on your own. (And uncle finally joined the site. Yeah, just try to find him...)

Also, this was only recently, but some of the mess is still there... Who the heck eats walnuts - WITH SHELLS - in a department store?? And worse, leaves their mess behind. On one of the displays at the edge of the women's sleepwear dept. there was seriously a pile of mess that suggested someone sat themselves down and ate a handful of walnuts. Wtf...? What human even does this? Did they bring a nutcracker? So weird.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 02-06-2018 at 12:17 PM.
Old 02-06-2018, 01:44 PM   #7979
Lisardo
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Aw, that sucks! Sorry to hear. Total sympathy, given the upcoming loss of my own. (At least mine won't be a surprise.) Hope you find something else soon.
Thank you, glad you can relate, but I'm sorry you're going thru this too! I got laid off twice in the past 4 months, the first time from my long 8-year job, then again right after Xmas! Yeah.....really leaves me motivated to try again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Also, this was only recently, but some of the mess is still there... Who the heck eats walnuts - WITH SHELLS - in a department store?? And worse, leaves their mess behind. On one of the displays at the edge of the women's sleepwear dept. there was seriously a pile of mess that suggested someone sat themselves down and ate a handful of walnuts. Wtf...? What human even does this? Did they bring a nutcracker? So weird.
Boy that's weird! I can't say I've seen that one yet!

Lisardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 12:55 PM   #7980
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Have people forgotten how to cover their mouth/nose when they cough and sneeze? Or is it a childish "can't tell me what to do" thing since health advocates try to remind people?

The amount of people, both customers AND employees, that I see that just don't even bother anymore.... UGH. No wonder the spread of the damn flu is so bad! The kids are bad enough, but the adults need to have some damn manners. The elbow method isn't that hard. I could hit one of the cashiers in particular, esp after seeing her doing it once again yesterday, hacking nastily going down the escalator, and this time she legit appears sick. Yeah, thanks b*tch. (The last time recently I was walking a short distance behind and quickly changed course to avoid where she'd walked through. I think another employee saw me do it and himself told her to cover her mouth. lol)

And of course now it's starting to look like something is going around at work and even my manager went home sick early yesterday morning. I hope I can avoid it. So far this season I've done great and hope - knock on wood - that it keeps up.

I've been using the Cold Eeze zinc lozenges preventatively since back before Christmas. (Most of the time just one in the evening after work or if I've been out places.) Never quite bought into the stuff and maybe they don't really do much if you already have symptoms (like they always say to take at the "first signs" of a cold, though isn't it already too late at that point?), but either it's a coincidence and I've been lucky or they've helped.