The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 09-10-2014, 08:12 AM   #1
Davetello
Banned

Gotham

I couldn't find a thread for this show. Apologies it there is a topic - perhaps the topics can be merged by a moderator.

So I'm actually quite excited about this. Seeing the origins of young Bruce, Jim Gordon and all of the super-villains etc seems pretty intriguing. A lot of people seem to enjoy Arrow and Fox is a more reputable station than the CW (I think?), so this seems promising. I think 16 episodes for the first season is a nice number too - just a little over the typical cable number, but not too many that it might become composed of endless filler (e.g. 22 eps).

I will certainly be watching. It might be a disaster but it could also turn out very good - I watched the preview show and it seemed pretty appealing. What do you all think of it?
Davetello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 09:19 AM   #2
pharaohyami5000
Thug

http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/sho...ghlight=gotham

Yeah, the search has found this recent topic from the list. So... use that topic or is it okay to continue discussion here? Some message boards have this hatred of revived topics, so not sure if this board is one of them.

For my thoughts, I'm ready to give this a spin. I like to see the prequel of... the Batman universe. Was going to say DC universe, but I don't know. 1 week and 2 days to go. Let's do it!
pharaohyami5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 09:23 AM   #3
Davetello
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharaohyami5000 View Post
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/sho...ghlight=gotham

Yeah, the search has found this recent topic from the list. So... use that topic or is it okay to continue discussion here? Some message boards have this hatred of revived topics, so not sure if this board is one of them.

For my thoughts, I'm ready to give this a spin. I like to see the prequel of... the Batman universe. Was going to say DC universe, but I don't know. 1 week and 2 days to go. Let's do it!
Thanks for looking man. Yes, perhaps we should discuss there. My own personal view is that bumped topics are fine, and they don't seem to be frowned upon here.

Yeah, looks like it will primarily stay with the Batman universe, which I am happy with tbh. If they were to start introducing the JL etc, it would probably become overwhelming as a production. They should keep it relatively simple.

I can't wait for the first episode either. I wish it was on Netflix and was due to be released all at once (I realise the show has signed a deal with Netflix to show each season after it completes airing).
Old 09-10-2014, 09:34 AM   #4
Leo656
The Franchise

I'm intrigued but wary. Super-hero-based TV shows are hit-or-miss (although in theory they should be easy). It could easily get corny but at the same time they have a strong cast of characters to play with. It's a weird balancing act; you can show off and play with some of the history of the familiar characters, but at the same time, we know they're not going to fully "become" the characters we know for another decade-plus in storyline, so you have to be careful how you present it. I hated how in Smallville, Clark had already defeated and/or killed off half of his entire rogues gallery before he even put on the costume or finished high school, for example.

Deep down, I'd much prefer a straight-up Batman show, but they'll never do that as long as they make so much money on the movies, so a prequel or a cartoon is as good as we'll get. I'unno, should be good. I'm a little more looking forward to Flash, because again, I prefer more of just a straight super-hero show.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 09:44 AM   #5
Davetello
Banned

I know what you mean, but the origin/prequel aspect of it really does appeal to me. Without Batman, these characters might get even more chance to stand in the spotlight. Although I'm aware that a large part of what makes these characters what they are is their relationship to Batman, so perhaps that is a paradoxical way of thinking.

You're right that it is quite strange that superhero TV shows are often of average quality. With so much source material, so few time constraints and a good budget you'd think talented writers, producers etc would be able to make something great. Maybe the cream of the crop just isn't interested in the superhero genre, as far as television is concerned.

I never watched Smallville - I've heard contrasting opinions of it. I'd like to watch the show for myself but 200 odd 40 min episodes is way too much of a commitment. I think the only show I'm willing to commit to at that many eps in the future is The X-Files.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:17 AM   #6
pharaohyami5000
Thug

Well, Lois and Clark: the Adventures of Superman I remember liking that. Though I have not seen them completely, so that will be something on my long to-(re)watch list. Hopefully Gotham will be on the same level as that. Haven't seen Smallville, Birds of Prey seem unappealing from other people and still wondering whether or not to begin on Agents of SHIELD or Arrow.

I currently completed Breaking Bad (what a marvelous series) and other than waiting for Better Call Saul, and Gotham (might as well), I don't know which live series to begin.

Last edited by pharaohyami5000; 09-10-2014 at 11:05 AM.
pharaohyami5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 10:27 AM   #7
Davetello
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharaohyami5000 View Post
Well, Lois and Clark: the Adventures of Superman I remember liking that. Though I have not seen them completely, so that will be something on my long to-(re)watch list. Hopefully it will be on he same level as that. Haven't seen Smallville, Birds of Prey seem unappealing from other people and still wondering whether or not to begin on Agents of SHIELD or Arrow.

I currently completed Breaking Bad (what a marvelous series) and other than waiting for Better Call Saul, and Gotham (might as well), I don't know which live series to begin.
I liked Lois and Clark as well. Watched it a lot as a boy and bought the first three seasons a few years ago - pretty sweet. Dean Cain was actually an alright Superman - he was a good looking guy and had plenty of charisma, not a bad actor either. I liked him as Supes.

Couldn't get through more than a couple of eps of AoS or Birds of Prey. I watched the first 6 episodes of Arrow and quite enjoyed it, but it's really just mindless action are. I sort of stopped watching it since other shows were holding my attention at the time.

Breaking Bad is just fantastic, agreed. I watch lots of shows, tbh. The Wire is probably the best of all.
Old 09-10-2014, 11:42 AM   #8
CyberCubed
Overlord

This show gives me bad vibes from the start. Not sure I like the idea of all of Batman's villains being 10-15 years old than him.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 11:43 AM   #9
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

While I'm more than curious about this show, I'm still sad it won't just be a televised, "Gotham Central."
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 12:38 PM   #10
Davetello
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
This show gives me bad vibes from the start. Not sure I like the idea of all of Batman's villains being 10-15 years old than him.
I think it could work though - I mean guys like the Riddler, Joker, Penguin are often portrayed as a good generation or two older than Bruce. The likes of Catwoman and Barbara Gordon is a problem, yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
While I'm more than curious about this show, I'm still sad it won't just be a televised, "Gotham Central."
I actually have those ready to read on my tablet. Looks very appealing.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:58 PM   #11
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davetello View Post
I actually have those ready to read on my tablet. Looks very appealing.
I'd love to know what you think when you're done. I don't read much DC, but I really loved that series.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 04:44 PM   #12
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
I know.... **** was so good. And had Batman in it just enough.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 08:30 AM   #13
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

I don't know if I'll watch this as I don't read comics that much, but it could be interesting for sure. I saw a documentary about it, and it seems like the people behind it are pretty committed to it and what they want to do. I like how it's going to be different in that it stays in the present and follows Bruce's journey to what he eventually becomes because the movies don't do that. They go from the past to when he's older and you don't really know much else from that. So it'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 09:47 AM   #14
Slade
god status

While I loved Smallville, one thing I hated was that he met so any people before actually being Superman. Like Leo said. So, I don't know if I'll enjoy this show.
Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 11:46 AM   #15
arkangel
Hench Mutant

Considering I enjoy Arrow on the CW, a network with teenagers as their target demographic, I have high hopes that Gotham on Fox will be even better as far as production values. I never liked Smallville, but actually enjoyed Birds of Prey despite it being coated with a massive layer of cheese.
I've read a few articles where Gotham is predicted to be the breakout show of the season, so I'm hopeful it will meet expectations. The premise sounds great and, despite it's focus, I hope we see a bit of Batman's evolution as he grows up. I just don't know how they could possibly do this and still remain somewhat loyal to existing continuity. For now, I'll reserve judgement until we've seen a few episodes. I'm also a bit biased as both a Batman and a prequel fan ie: Enterprise, Sarah Connor Chronicles, others that aren't Star Wars.
The wait is almost over...
arkangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 04:42 PM   #16
Storm Eagle
Saved by

This is actually the only new show that interests me enough to follow (aside from CSI: Cyber, which doesn't start for a while). So we'll see how long I stick with this.

I was getting kind of bored with Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., so I took a break from it around the time Captain America: The Winter Soldier came out in theaters. Now that I've rented a copy, I'll give it a try again by renting the discs from the first season set. Anyway, I hope Gotham turns out to be more entertaining for me.
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 04:50 PM   #17
Gorilla Grodd
Thug

Like with any comic related show I'm cautiously optimistic and hope that it turns out well. Although there is a part of me that wishes it wasn't a thing just because the last thing I need is another TV show to keep up to date on. First world problems.
Old 09-11-2014, 05:01 PM   #18
AT-Man
I SEEN IT

I'll check it out, but I don't think it will be nearly as good as Agents of SHIELD.

Through the Golden Door
AT-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 09:11 PM   #19
Leo656
The Franchise

People keep mentioning "Birds of Prey", I swear I completely missed that show when it was fresh, I didn't know it even existed. I have it on DVD, s'alright. I only watched through the series once but I didn't hate it. It's weird, the show didn't really "work" but it just as easily could have been huge if it had come out, like, ten years earlier and been exactly the same. I was crushing hard on the chick who played Babs in that. I think they did one episode where she was Batgirl again, that was kinda neat.

These "Batman Show Without Batman" projects are always a gamble, but Batman's mythology has so many strong characters that it's one of the few franchises you can try that with. I mean, Batman's frequently absent from his own books for months at a time and interesting stuff still happens constantly. That could easily translate to TV if they handle it right. I'm interested; I just gotta remember to watch it since I never catch shows when they're on.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 10:29 AM   #20
Davetello
Banned

Quote:
I'd love to know what you think when you're done. I don't read much DC, but I really loved that series.
I will certainly try and read the entire series soon - forty issues is easy to read fairly quickly. I will let you know what I think, most definitely.

Tags
cuckfall, cuckham, cuckmissioner gordon, god i love being a sjw, got ham