The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion > Platinum Dunes TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 07-07-2018, 08:57 AM   #201
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlessandraDC View Post
I would love to see an origin story similar to IDW and 2012 - in the sense that I'd like to see a human Yoshi and Saki when they were actually friends, "brothers". I really liked Splinter's characterization in the Nick cartoons too.
Yeah I'd like to see something with Saki and Yoshi before or around the feud. Hopefully they are both in it.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 12:53 PM   #202
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/q...ak-1202970399/

Just barely a mention (as TMNT staying under the PD banner while Form and Fuller launch a new production name), but at least proof that another film is still on the agenda.

Fully Formed Entertainment... They're really just doing that just to use the play on their names, right? lol
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 01:06 PM   #203
AquaParade
Banned

I don't understand why they are still involved after the reception & performance of the last film.

I know I'm outside of the loop, but doesn't whoever is "in charge" have the ability and desire to hand it off to someone else at this point?

I still believe the film has potential to be good, based on the idea that they know they need a new direction after the last film flopped and the belief that people can learn from their mistakes. lol.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 02:56 PM   #204
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
I don't understand why they are still involved after the reception & performance of the last film.

I know I'm outside of the loop, but doesn't whoever is "in charge" have the ability and desire to hand it off to someone else at this point?

I still believe the film has potential to be good, based on the idea that they know they need a new direction after the last film flopped and the belief that people can learn from their mistakes. lol.
I believe its bc Platinum Dunes is owned by Viacom/Nick they are doing it in house they don't have to split any profit from outsourcing to another movie studio I am assuming.
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 09:33 PM   #205
Galactus
Foot Elite

^^^

Paramount does not own Platinum Dunes.

They do (or did) have something called a 'first look' deal with them which means when Paramount gets a newly acquired property they can give Platinum Dunes first refusal to work on it and while they are deciding no other production company can make a pitch.

Why are they sticking with Platinum Dunes after the abysmal failure of the previous Platinum Dunes movie? Who knows.

I imagine no other production company is chomping at the bit to do TMNT. Since the last movie tanked the movie series is pretty much dead and reviving it is a pretty big task especially when you consider that Hollywood has been convinced that the Fred Wolf show in live action + extra doses of goofyness is the way to commercial success and for the first time nothing prevented for them fully going for that approach and it flopped hard. I don't think anyone knows how to approach this now that their silver bullet turned out to be a dud.

Not to mention Rise of the TMNT is not making any waves as a TV show or merchandising. You often hear that "TMNT was just a fad that doesn't work anymore" but prior to Out Of The Shadows you could at least battle that by pointing out that even the bad movies have made money, the toys sell well and the cartoon draws good ratings and fan response but you can't really do that right now.

Then again we don't know how much Paramount or Platinum Dunes is committed to doing another TMNT movie right now. I'm sure some ideas have probably been kicked round but we've heard nothing since the (surprising) mention that PD will be working on a new movie with a "new approach". I would not be surprised if they put that out there to let people know they still have it.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 09:41 PM   #206
AquaParade
Banned

Sometimes being a TMNT can be really frustrating. Sorry to vent that here, but it just crossed my mind as I was reading this thread. I feel like I’ve been waiting for a great TMNT film all my life.
Old 11-24-2018, 10:00 PM   #207
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
Sometimes being a TMNT can be really frustrating. Sorry to vent that here, but it just crossed my mind as I was reading this thread. I feel like I’ve been waiting for a great TMNT film all my life.
I fear at times that the 1990 or the 07 film will be the best we will ever get in terms of tone and or quality..... I keep praying that TMNT finds it's Nolan or Feigi
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 02:33 AM   #208
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemer View Post
I fear at times that the 1990 or the 07 film will be the best we will ever get in terms of tone and or quality..... I keep praying that TMNT finds it's Nolan or Feigi
Working on it. Gimme another 10 years or so
Krutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 04:50 PM   #209
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
I imagine no other production company is chomping at the bit to do TMNT. Since the last movie tanked the movie series is pretty much dead and reviving it is a pretty big task especially when you consider that Hollywood has been convinced that the Fred Wolf show in live action + extra doses of goofyness is the way to commercial success and for the first time nothing prevented for them fully going for that approach and it flopped hard. I don't think anyone knows how to approach this now that their silver bullet turned out to be a dud.
If some genius ever got it in their heads to present the TMNT story as a family of outcasts and their group of ne'er-do-well friends trying to find their place in a world that doesn't want them, you'd have an evergreen property. Other shows and films that are running with that premise have shown that people will respond to that universally.

When you "reintroduce" something to a new generation, you have to distill it down to the base elements and start from there. What I've described above are the true "base elements" of TMNT. Family. Outcasts. Fighting to find their place. Simple. You build on that.

You distill it down to "pizza", "goofy", and "Cowabunga", you're left with a mess. You can't build anything meaningful on that. It's mush. Once people hit a certain age, they realize that all of that stuff is insipid. At least, they're supposed to. The people holding the reigns, however, have decided to be snake-oil salesmen, selling a bad product to an audience too young/dumb to understand they're being worked. They just yell "COWABUNGA!" and expect everyone to throw money at them. And some people actually do, which makes the whole situation even worse.

What TMNT is actually about has been force-bred out of the property entirely because NOBODY actually understands what it was even about in the first place, and they keep trying to build a solid gold mansion on top of a rotting swamp. If we're serious about seeing real change, we simply HAVE to collectively decide and agree not to reward these people for repeatedly giving us junk. Only when EVERY attempt at a cartoon rehash has completely failed would anyone even think about trying anything of substance.

Feel free to hope. I don't.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 05:50 PM   #210
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
If some genius ever got it in their heads to present the TMNT story as a family of outcasts and their group of ne'er-do-well friends trying to find their place in a world that doesn't want them, you'd have an evergreen property. Other shows and films that are running with that premise have shown that people will respond to that universally.

When you "reintroduce" something to a new generation, you have to distill it down to the base elements and start from there. What I've described above are the true "base elements" of TMNT. Family. Outcasts. Fighting to find their place. Simple. You build on that.

You distill it down to "pizza", "goofy", and "Cowabunga", you're left with a mess. You can't build anything meaningful on that. It's mush. Once people hit a certain age, they realize that all of that stuff is insipid. At least, they're supposed to. The people holding the reigns, however, have decided to be snake-oil salesmen, selling a bad product to an audience too young/dumb to understand they're being worked. They just yell "COWABUNGA!" and expect everyone to throw money at them. And some people actually do, which makes the whole situation even worse.

What TMNT is actually about has been force-bred out of the property entirely because NOBODY actually understands what it was even about in the first place, and they keep trying to build a solid gold mansion on top of a rotting swamp. If we're serious about seeing real change, we simply HAVE to collectively decide and agree not to reward these people for repeatedly giving us junk. Only when EVERY attempt at a cartoon rehash has completely failed would anyone even think about trying anything of substance.

Well said and more or less sums up the big issue with TMNT today.
Old 11-25-2018, 05:52 PM   #211
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Well said and more or less sums up the big issue with TMNT today.
I didn't get to say in the other thread, I appreciate your appreciation, and whatever frustration I may feel at other people presently isn't directed at you specifically.

Old 11-26-2018, 09:24 AM   #212
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

What does TMNT need, this is my opinion;

What is needed, is a back to basics approach to tmnt; go back to the story of four turtles (Leo, Don, Mikey, and Raph), who falls down a storm drain, and mutated by ooze. They are raised in the sewers of New York and taught martial arts by a mutant rat who learned those martial arts (either as the pet of a former martial artist, or a mutated martial artist himself), and they come together to form a family of outcasts, not fully understood by the world above. They befriend afew humans (April, Casey, perhaps a few others) and often battle other martial artists (especially the foot clan), criminals, mutants and monsters to protect either humanity or to just protect themselves. As Leo 656 said, your themes are; outcasts, a family, and trying to find their place in the world.

There, that's it. That's what you need for a version of TMNT. You start there, and build the other extensions of the mythology on to that. Everything else; pizza, slapstick,random goofiness, 100 different silly mutants, toyetic vehicles. all of those things are the icing on the cake. Without a strong core, there is nothing there. Things like wither Leo and Raph fight, bandana color, and themes outside of the core ones vary from version to version, and despite what fans of those particular versions think, they are malleable. But you need that core, or you end up with inane stupidity that will entertain the kiddies with it's bright colors and fight scenes, but is otherwise all flash and no substance.

We need a TMNT movie that puts that core first, and builds around it.

IDW is the best version of TMNT

If they make a TMNT reboot movie retelling the shredder battle/origin, I won't buy a ticket.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 10:15 AM   #213
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post

I agree with this.
First and foremost Turtles need good dynamics and personality, than comes "pizza" and the other stuff.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 10:21 AM   #214
Leo656
The Franchise

We've been on the same page a lot lately, and frankly it's a little uncomfortable, aaaaaand I'unno what I'm supposed to do about it.

Thanks, I guess.

Old 11-26-2018, 01:48 PM   #215
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Likewise, sounds pretty good to me! Now get rid of the lazy film makers. I hope the new writer isn't a lazy writer and is capable of writing something decent.

Btw, for anyone who skipped OotS but might want to take look at, now that it won't require giving them money, it's finally premiering on Nick Thursday night.
Old 11-26-2018, 04:58 PM   #216
Leo656
The Franchise

Given how many copies I've seen clogging up the $5 bins everywhere I go, I'm inclined to believe that every single person who actually wanted to pay for that atrocity has already done so.

In another year, those things are gonna start showing up in the mail with those little sample boxes of Tide.

Old 11-26-2018, 05:28 PM   #217
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

lol Well, as long as they aren't like the plague of AOL discs long ago.
Old 11-26-2018, 05:34 PM   #218
Leo656
The Franchise

They'd still have more use in 2019 than DVDs of that f*ckin' thing.

Everyone needs a good coaster, after all. I wouldn't wanna insult my glasses by setting them on that hideous box art.

Old 01-13-2019, 08:23 PM   #219
AlZarkovski
Mad Scientist

Another ‘Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles’ Reboot to Start Production This Year

https://comicbook.com/movies/2019/01...latinum-dunes/
AlZarkovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 08:40 PM   #220
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Seems a bit soon to announce production.

Tags
just.. why?, kill me now, papenbrook the troll, thedefinitionofinsanity, vote of no confidence