The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 02-03-2010, 01:29 PM   #1
Raph's Girl
Dierna Soul, Reporter

Young Justice animated series

Ok. Now here's the deal. Yesterday rumours started flying that there is gonna be a tv series based on Young Justice. Starting with a post on a website by one of the actors voicing one of the characters (a post that has since been taken down). Reportadly the folks at WB were not pleased at the leaked info but more info has been coming out just the same.

So far the only casting is that of Arrowette (voiced by Stephanie Lemelin).

More and more info will be coming out in the coming months and reportadly all will be revealed this summer at San Diego Comic Con.

The cast of characters consists of Young Justice, Teen Titans with the JLA mixed in with Miss Martian, Aqualad, Nightwing, Impulse, Arrowette, and Connor Kent as the main characters. Yay! Miss Martian!

Here are what are supposed to be the first images of Arrowette and Aqualad. Now I've never read the Young Justice comics so I don't know much about them but was Aqualad black in that series??

Old 02-03-2010, 02:20 PM   #2
Brodie
Certified Teacher

Aqualad wasn't in young Justice.

It seems like they've just mixed YJ with 80's Teen Titans.

YJ was originally Robin, Impulse, Superboy, then added Arrowette, Dusk, Wonder Girl, etc.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:19 AM   #3
Raph's Girl
Dierna Soul, Reporter

The Cartoon Network Upfront is today!

Young Justice revealed! Looks like we got Superboy, Miss Martian (YAY!), Robin, Artemis (not arrowette), Aqualad (the token), and Kid Flash.

Quote:
In Young Justice, being a teenager means proving yourself over and over—to peers, parents, teachers, mentors and, ultimately, to yourself. But what if you’re not just a normal teenager? What if you’re a teenage super hero? Are you ready to join the ranks of the great heroes and prove you’re worthy of the Justice League? That’s exactly what the members of Young Justice—Robin, Aqualad, Kid Flash, Superboy, Miss Martian and Artemis—will find out, whether they have what it takes to be a proven hero. This all-new series is produced by Warner Bros. Animation and based upon characters from DC Comics. Sam Register (Teen Titans, Ben 10, Batman: The Brave and the Bold) is the executive producer. Brandon Vietti (Batman: Under the Red Hood, Superman Doomsday, The Batman) and Greg Weisman (Gargoyles, The Spectacular Spider-Man, W.I.T.C.H.) are the producers.
Yay!! Greg Weisman!! So we can expect some Gargoyles cameos!
Old 04-21-2010, 11:24 AM   #4
Brodie
Certified Teacher

"The token"?Did you just...oh, wow.

And you really think they'd put in Gargoyles cameos? Doubt it.

Especially since they've been tied to Disney for so long.
Old 04-21-2010, 01:07 PM   #5
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

I'll check it out. Could be cool.
Old 04-21-2010, 03:42 PM   #6
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raph's Girl View Post
The Cartoon Network Upfront is today!

Young Justice revealed! Looks like we got Superboy, Miss Martian (YAY!), Robin, Artemis (not arrowette), Aqualad (the token), and Kid Flash.

Yay!! Greg Weisman!! So we can expect some Gargoyles cameos!
The only time you'll see a Gargoyle crossover is if Wiesman writes it as a convention-exclusive play like he did for the "true" finale of The Spectacular Spider-Man
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 03:47 PM   #7
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Screw you, Zarius! What do you know about the finale of Spectacular? Tell meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.
Old 04-21-2010, 04:51 PM   #8
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCure View Post
Screw you, Zarius! What do you know about the finale of Spectacular? Tell meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.
Greg got the casts of both TSSM and Gargoyles together at ComicCon (the TNG cast were there to promote their Family Guy apperance I think), wrote an albiet non-canocial crossover that they performed for the fans. You can find it on Youtube,

When I said "true" it just my own opinion, since it ended it on a better note than "Final Curtain"
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 08:07 PM   #9
Newton Gimmick
Mad Scientist

Black Aquaman? How, uh... Original? Yeah.

Would it have been that hard to put an actual black superhero in that role? I mean... REALLY?

Newton Gimmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 09:20 PM   #10
Fledermaus
Mad Scientist

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newton Gimmick View Post
Black Aquaman? How, uh... Original? Yeah.

Would it have been that hard to put an actual black superhero in that role? I mean... REALLY?
I think it's for reasons related to every human-looking "advanced" civilization in the known cosmos (and earth) is of Aryan Caucasian ethnicity in the DC world. They're trying to make up for this by making at least a few of these advanced races dark-skinned. Plus, why invent a new superhero when it's much easier to change the face of an existing one (one who isn't too obscure or lame, but isn't so popular that an army Moonie fans will be demanding blood if the hero's ethnicity is changed)? Imagine if this was done to Batman, Spider-Man, Super-Man or Wolverine. Right, you can't imagine it, because it will never happen.

And, aside from needing to keep him blond, because Aquaman has traditionally been blond in the comics, it's possible that the designers wanted to make the Atlanteans of this universe a diverse multicultural PC paradise... or, less laughably, their own ethnicity with a bit of everything (everything meaning - exotic non-white bone structure and skin tone, but with the "superior" blue eyes and blond hair present in every advanced society... otherwise known as hot platinum blond with dark tan look). Disney has already done this with their design of Atlanteans:

A similar thing was attempted with Green Lantern: okay so we need our token black character - but he can't just be plain black. He has to look exotic so we don't turn off the white viewers. Give him green eyes!

Ok, but getting off the topic of race and back to the upcoming show itself... I'm very excited. I am a huge fan of Weisman and have been hoping he would take on a new project - if not continue SSM (but sadly, doesn't look like it'll be happening anytime soon ). The man not only knows how to tell great, action-packed, thought-provoking stories, but is also a master of depth, continuity and character development... which is something that most other super-hero series, even decent ones like Justice League rarely attempt - or attempt for a while and then crap out somewhere down the line. Haven't seen Witch, but I've seen the entire 2 seasons of Gargoyles and Spectacular Spider-Man. My hopes are high.
We're calling it a freeway. Eight lanes of shimmering cement running from here to Pasadena. Smooth, safe, fast. Traffic jams will be a thing of the past. I see a place where people get on and off the freeway. On and off, off and on all day, all night! Soon there will be a string of gas stations, inexpensive motels, restaurants that serve rapidly prepared food! Tire salons, automobile dealerships and wonderful, wonderful billboards reaching as far as the eye can see! My God... It'll be beautiful.

Last edited by Fledermaus; 04-22-2010 at 09:47 PM. Reason: clarification
Fledermaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 09:28 PM   #11
GK Punk
I'm your Devil

No Arrowette? God dammit.
GK Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 04:40 AM   #12
Newton Gimmick
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fledermaus View Post
And, aside from needing to keep him blond, because Aquaman has traditionally been blond in the comics, it's possible that the designers wanted to make the Atlanteans of this universe a diverse multicultural PC paradise... or, less laughably, their own ethnicity with a bit of everything (everything meaning - exotic non-white bone structure and skin tone, but with the "superior" blue eyes and blond hair present in every advanced society... otherwise known as hot platinum blond with dark tan look). Disney has already done this with their design of Atlanteans:

A similar thing was attempted with Green Lantern: okay so we need our token black character - but he can't just be plain black. He has to look exotic so we don't turn off the white viewers. Give him green eyes!
They didn't have to invent a black superhero, there are already black superheroes. They could have easily put one into this role. Changing the race of Aquaman is lame. Sorry, no way around it.

JL didn't change the race of Green Lantern, they used another already established GL to move the story along.

As a longtime Aquaman fan I'm just blown away that they thought they could do something like this and it'll just fly. Black people see right through this. Everyone does. It's lame.

If Black Kids need a superhero who's on the level with DC's heavy hitters... GIVE THEM ONE, don't just put a whitey in black face.

Old 04-22-2010, 04:58 AM   #13
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

guess it's Cal Durham cast under the aqualad name
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 05:08 AM   #14
Newton Gimmick
Mad Scientist

I guess that would work. Just seems like such an obvious race ploy. I guess we'll have to see what they do with it.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:20 PM   #15
The Stryker
Stupid Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newton Gimmick View Post
Black people see right through this. Everyone does. It's lame.

If Black Kids need a superhero who's on the level with DC's heavy hitters... GIVE THEM ONE, don't just put a whitey in black face.
Thanks for speaking for all black people. Black people don't care because most of them don't watch superhero cartoons anyway and the ones that do damn sure don't give two sh*ts about Aqualad's race.

Seriously. Who cares? Does it really affect anything at all? Is Aqualad going to be running around with a ghetto blaster made of coral or something?

@~<3 Mom~@
The Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 01:55 PM   #16
Newton Gimmick
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
Thanks for speaking for all black people. Black people don't care because most of them don't watch superhero cartoons anyway and the ones that do damn sure don't give two sh*ts about Aqualad's race.

Seriously. Who cares? Does it really affect anything at all? Is Aqualad going to be running around with a ghetto blaster made of coral or something?
You slam me for speaking for all black people, by speaking for all black people?

Hilarious.

I could give you a million reasons why this is nonsense, but it's a moot point. If you don't care, you really shouldn't respond. I'm just not a fan of needlessly changing a character to shamelessly appeal to other demographics. Core elements of characters shouldn't change. Race being one of them.

Assuming this is a entirely new Aqualad, it's more plausible and tolerable as I mentioned in another post.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:58 PM   #17
The Stryker
Stupid Rich

I think I have a bigger platform to stand on than you do when it comes to speaking for the darkies. I remember when Kingpin was black and how angry the nerds were for like 3 months.

@~<3 Mom~@
The Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 02:02 PM   #18
Newton Gimmick
Mad Scientist

Nah, you don't. However you're entitled to your opinion. If you're cool with it, that's great. You just can't take me to task for something and then do it yourself. It's hypocritical and renders your argument empty as a result.

Old 04-23-2010, 12:46 AM   #19
Brodie
Certified Teacher

"Nah, you don't" ....uh....He probably does have more a say in it or basis for opinion on the matter being that he's black.

You're making it sound like you have more of a basis to argue against it than an african american male. And you come off as offended, or seemingly trying to state why others should be offended for such an atrocity, then you say he shouldn't argue a point because it sounds hypocritical? No, it'd be hypocritical if he was just another white guy doing the same stuff you did. He was only stating that being part of that demographic, he has a little more say in some sort of representation of that demographic than some white guy.

I'm just stating this as observation, to dissuade the possibility for mixed messages. I don't disagree with the idea that its generally a stupid ****ing idea to just make a preexisting character black, to "cater to a demographic." They could have brought in any other black superhero, for sure.

Last edited by Brodie; 04-23-2010 at 01:04 AM.
Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 02:14 AM   #20
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

makes me think about generation X pilot, they made jubilee Caucasian, which was a facepalm in it's self.

besides, it's not gonna change the canon of the original, it's just a alternative story.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
young cucktice