The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 08-15-2017, 10:35 AM   #201
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
http://epicstream.com/news/New-Star-...Hard-Trek-Fans

arrogant idiot helps sinks show even further. This thing is so unlike star trek, you better hope fans will bother to tune into the pilot at all.
“I don't mean to sound irreverent when I say I don't care about the die-hard Trek fans,” he told NYDailyNews at an event in Los Angeles. “I only ‘don't care’ about them in the sense that I know they’re all going to watch anyway. I look forward to having the fun of them being outraged, so they can sit up all night and talk about it with each other.” - Jason Isaacs

You muther****er...
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 10:51 AM   #202
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
“I don't mean to sound irreverent when I say I don't care about the die-hard Trek fans,” he told NYDailyNews at an event in Los Angeles. “I only ‘don't care’ about them in the sense that I know they’re all going to watch anyway. I look forward to having the fun of them being outraged, so they can sit up all night and talk about it with each other.” - Jason Isaacs

You muther****er...
It's what everybody says.

And to a certain extent, they're all right. I'm going to check out the first episode or few, but once I have enough firsthand information to understand what they're doing with Discovery, I may or may not stick with it.

Whereas I will never, ever watch another Star Trek movie in the JJ continuity. 2009 was frustrating, Darkness was infuriating, and I never bothered to watch Beyond. Just glad I never paid for tickets. (And no, I didn't pirate... free DVD rentals.)
Old 08-15-2017, 04:32 PM   #203
chrisdude
Foot Elite

Bah. He's just an actor. He's not going to deliver his lines in a way that betrays Star Trek. Lots of actors in these situations don't even watch the franchises they join.
chrisdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 12:26 PM   #204
Vegita-San
Emperor

arrogant unknown ass acts like an ass even further.

How does this help? other than flame the flaming Yes fans who'll like just about anything so long as a star trek label is slapped on it?

https://twitter.com/jasonsfolly/stat...83630025211904
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 01:11 PM   #205
TheSkeletonMan939
A New Day, A New Headache

You can't go wrong with the iconic Star Trek main theme, right? Rigghht?

Oh no...
TheSkeletonMan939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 01:47 PM   #206
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Sounds fine to me.
Old 09-12-2017, 06:27 PM   #207
TheSkeletonMan939
A New Day, A New Headache

For me, it's not something that I'd look forward to hearing every single episode.
TheSkeletonMan939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 05:21 PM   #208
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

lol... CBS has officially banned all reviews of Discovery. I'm sure it's because they want us to be surprised by how great it is.

http://tvweb.com/star-trek-discovery...embargoed-cbs/
Old 09-14-2017, 05:41 PM   #209
Vegita-San
Emperor

turd on arrival.

Watching orville, I like the sense of fun it brings and so far the first 17 minutes are good. especially the squishy goo alien bit.

It's odd that I want it rather than discovery to be so much under the star trek banner.

and i find it funny that they made sure to set it in the 24th century, a hundred or so years after picard, so not prequel era .
Old 09-14-2017, 07:01 PM   #210
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSkeletonMan939 View Post
For me, it's not something that I'd look forward to hearing every single episode.
Except for the Marvel Netflix shows, there is not a single show for adults that I look forward to the music every episode. So it doesn't bother me. It sounds appropriately Trek.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:25 AM   #211
Vegita-San
Emperor

star trek discovery going into full plant mood by building up SJW angle. 'women of color' and 'women in command' stuff starting to appear in articles around the net.

like this is the first time it's ever been done. I guess they forgot about the african captain in Star Trek 4, or the lady in TNGs 1st season. or Sisko, or Janeway..or..

I guess when your series is in trouble, you have to create controversy around it and hope people latch onto it enough to support it.

I'll be tuning into the pilot, because it's free...but only to see how bad it is....I expect birdemic levels..
Old 09-20-2017, 11:40 AM   #212
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
star trek discovery going into full plant mood by building up SJW angle. 'women of color' and 'women in command' stuff starting to appear in articles around the net.
Oh, I've been expecting that.

Quote:
like this is the first time it's ever been done. I guess they forgot about the african captain in Star Trek 4, or the lady in TNGs 1st season.
The captain of the Enterprise-C, of course.

Quote:
I guess when your series is in trouble, you have to create controversy around it and hope people latch onto it enough to support it.
That worked out well for Cuckbusters.

Quote:
I'll be tuning into the pilot, because it's free...but only to see how bad it is....I expect birdemic levels..
The general vibe from TPTB is totally, "Well, we get that Star Trek fans say they hate this or that, but you know what? They're all going to watch it anyway because it's Star Trek, and sign up for our CBS on demand network so they can see it. We'll bet the farm on it."

What they're forgetting is... do you know what most Star Trek fans are? Generally speaking, fairly intelligent people. Do you know what fairly intelligent people know how to use, generally? Pirate Bay.

F*** these guys. I really hate that I'm dreading a new Star Trek show.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:45 AM   #213
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
star trek discovery going into full plant mood by building up SJW angle. 'women of color' and 'women in command' stuff starting to appear in articles around the net. .
It's odd for you to say that, when all of Star Trek has been about racial and ethnic diversity from day 1.

We had Uhura a black woman as the only lead female in Star Trek. We had multiple women in Next Generation including Gaian. We had Dax, essentially a transgender with a male symbiote in her stomach. We had a female captain with Janeway in Voyager. We had Hoshi an Asian woman in Enterprise.

When has Star Trek never promoted female characters of all ethnic values and in high positions?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 11:47 AM   #214
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
It's odd for you to say that, when all of Star Trek has been about racial and ethnic diversity from day 1.

We had Uhura a black woman as the only lead female in Star Trek. We had multiple women in Next Generation including Gaian. We had Dax, essentially a transgender with a male symbiote in her stomach. We had a female captain with Janeway in Voyager. We had Hoshi an Asian woman in Enterprise.

When has Star Trek never promoted female characters of all ethnic values and in high positions?
I think the point is that yes, we're all aware Star Trek has been about that from the beginning... but the TPTB of Discovery are acting like they're pioneers and if you aren't supporting the show, you're anti-whatever.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:52 AM   #215
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
What they're forgetting is... do you know what most Star Trek fans are? Generally speaking, fairly intelligent people. Do you know what fairly intelligent people know how to use, generally? Pirate Bay.

F*** these guys. I really hate that I'm dreading a new Star Trek show.
or, just wait until it shows up on youtube for a day or so until paramount finds it.

if the show is good, and was on amazon or netflix, the two staples people seem willing to stick with, no problem. these networks are getting greedy with all these stupid streaming services. and unless ALL your shows are worth getting, people will not sign up for one series alone. one reason why i won't sign up for nerdist to see talking toons. I want to support talking toons. not nerdist enterprises.

and agreed on hating a new star trek show. the sad part is, the idiots in charge just don't get what makes classic shows work. they want to change it and put their stamp on it so they can pat themselves on the back for 'originality' if it works. yet is so often doesn't.

a shame orvile is on fox. fox doesn't let it's shows last long..
Old 09-20-2017, 11:59 AM   #216
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

I'm not hating this preemptively. I'm just not really that excited either; I'll check it out on DVD or IF I hear enough good things from my Trekkie friends with good taste.

But I am not purchasing another subscription service, at all, for this.

Given that Kristen Beyer is heavily involved in this, and that she has written better Voyager novels than anyone else (seriously, some good stuff), and that David Mack is writing the first novel...

I'm cautious. We'll see.
Old 09-24-2017, 01:15 PM   #217
ZariusTwo
Overlord

So the Discovery opening titles are out

And I s*it you not, as a laugh, I edited it with the Westworld theme and it syncs up pretty well

https://vimeo.com/235247601
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 01:20 PM   #218
Vegita-San
Emperor

wow, is that winning the award for weirdest intro ever?

They could have just started it out with the blueprints of the ship, building up into the real ship and then launching it out to various planets we'll see in the series..

instead it's all rather just 'cool images flashing to remind people it's star trek'...and all that stops when the main real theme plays...

ugh.
Old 09-24-2017, 01:31 PM   #219
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Watch The Orville its better Star Trek than this show will turn out to be
Old 09-24-2017, 02:24 PM   #220
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
So the Discovery opening titles are out

And I s*it you not, as a laugh, I edited it with the Westworld theme and it syncs up pretty well

https://vimeo.com/235247601
I dig it. The Star Trek openings were always slow and boring... Voyager's was actually pretty decent.

And Enterprise was TERRIBLE. Hated that frakking song.

So yeah, I dig it.