The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 06-28-2018, 11:53 AM   #1
raph27
Mad Scientist

Questions about original series order

I have the Turtle Van DVD set of the original show and I'm currently working on downloading everything to my hard drive, however I'm having some trouble cataloging them.

I know that the DVDs weren't in perfect order. My question is, are the episodes "The Turtles and the Hare" and "Once Upon a Time Machine" in Season 4 or Season 5? Wikipedia and Turtlepedia are giving me two different answers.
raph27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 12:05 PM   #2
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by raph27 View Post
I have the Turtle Van DVD set of the original show and I'm currently working on downloading everything to my hard drive, however I'm having some trouble cataloging them.

I know that the DVDs weren't in perfect order. My question is, are the episodes "The Turtles and the Hare" and "Once Upon a Time Machine" in Season 4 or Season 5? Wikipedia and Turtlepedia are giving me two different answers.

Those two were originally listed on the old Mirage run ninjaturtles.com as the first two episodes of the 5th season.
Old 06-28-2018, 01:15 PM   #3
raph27
Mad Scientist

Thanks! Guess Turtlepedia was right.
raph27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 02:37 PM   #4
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Its takes place at the end of the first 13 episodes of season 4 due to the theme song but it also works as a finale to season 4 as well despite it being put at the beginning of season 5. (for which My Brother the Bad Guy makes more sense as a premiere).

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 03:46 PM   #5
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Season 4 sideseason

I see them as a sideseason, set during season 4, just like "Vacation in Europe".
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 06:22 PM   #6
MrPliggins
Foot Elite

These were part of the weird handful of new episodes made for syndication while new episodes were mainly being aired on CBS, I believe during season 4. Funny that the CBS and syndication episodes always remained separate and the airings never crossed over to each other. That's why the season 4 syndication episodes still have the old opening sequence.
MrPliggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 10:19 PM   #7
Xav
Foot Elite

Their production code puts them in season 4.
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 08:55 AM   #8
Wesley
Mad Scientist

Season 4. In Ireland, I think they were placed between “Back to the Egg” and “Son of Return of the Fly II”.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 10:25 AM   #9
oldmanwinters
Overlord

I like the TMNTentity logic in episode order:
http://tmntentity.blogspot.com/2016/...tles-1987.html

EDIT: here's an old, lengthy forum discussion thread:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/sho...d.php?p=690064

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!

Last edited by oldmanwinters; 06-29-2018 at 10:35 AM.
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 06:36 AM   #10
neatoman
Emperor

This show was designed to be as episodic as possible and aired in the incorrect order, not to mention that what little story it does have makes no sense, you really don't have to worry about getting the episodes in order.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 10:18 AM   #11
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
This show was designed to be as episodic as possible and aired in the incorrect order, not to mention that what little story it does have makes no sense, you really don't have to worry about getting the episodes in order.
This should be your signature (from the Wanted B & R thread), so your message is loud and clear as possible and you have to save yourself from typing "The Original Cartoon sucked, just don't bother" in a hundred different ways in every damn thread which has people asking legitimate questions about the 80s cartoon.

Quote:
The show was a cheap toy commercial for 5 year olds, disguised as a comedy through subpar adlibbing and absurd scenarios. Just accept that it's not worth taking seriously, simply because a handful of episodes were semi-serious.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.

Last edited by FredWolfLeonardo; 07-04-2018 at 10:26 AM.
Old 07-04-2018, 12:38 PM   #12
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
This should be your signature (from the Wanted B & R thread), so your message is loud and clear as possible and you have to save yourself from typing "The Original Cartoon sucked, just don't bother" in a hundred different ways in every damn thread which has people asking legitimate questions about the 80s cartoon.
Calm down, I'm just saying the show wasn't designed with any type of viewing order in mind. I could say the same exact thing about ATHF or the bulk of South Park, shows I like.
Hahahaha!
Old 07-05-2018, 06:13 PM   #13
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Most shows even now are semi episodic so anyone can get into them. That doesn't mean there isn't continuity and with the OT you have some definite and some more subtle. The technodrome's location is the easiest way to know a show is meant to take place in a specific season but if we go by dialog we get to see that some episodes do reference other ones.

We have a good episode order that works, sadly we don't have a 100% accurate episode order list since not enough people seem to be interested and it's a lot of work, it's only very small references and what not. That thread linked in the beginning of the thread is the most the fandom has gotten at getting a 100% accurate timeline. Too much of a hassle for extremely small details I guess but I'd love to see it happen one day.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 02:35 PM   #14
pferreira
Foot Elite

I always preferred them at the start of Season 5 but I'd be wrong to list them there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
I like the TMNTentity logic in episode order:
http://tmntentity.blogspot.com/2016/...tles-1987.html
It's an okay episode order but I find Mark Pellegrini's indifference and sometimes bad attitude towards the FW series grating at times. He also makes incorrect assumptions like thinking David Wise was responsible for Planet of the Turtles to then go onto say Wise recycled his own script for Planet of the Turtleoids. I mean this is one time Wise didn't do that, give the guy a brake!

Quote:
It's become really tiring actually but it's great to poke fun at neatoman's ineptitude in understanding basic historical facts about the show because they don't fit his conceived notions.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 02:45 PM   #15
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
It's become really tiring actually but it's great to poke fun at neatoman's ineptitude in understanding basic historical facts about the show because they don't fit his conceived notions.
Says the autistic moron who was banned from at least three different forum for acting like an ass. How that membership on the Ghostbusters forum going? Or the one on the Star Trek one? Still pretending they banned you for anything but spitting the face of facts? "Politics", right?
Hahahaha!
Old 07-13-2018, 03:31 PM   #16
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Says the autistic moron who was banned from at least three different forum for acting like an ass. How that membership on the Ghostbusters forum going? Or the one on the Star Trek one? Still pretending they banned you for anything but spitting the face of facts? "Politics", right?
Dude, you're the one who's been acting like an 'autistic moron' constantly breaking Forum Rule No 6 and contributing to every FW question with "what's the point?" You won't find much sympathy on your side there.

Last edited by pferreira; 07-13-2018 at 03:40 PM.
Old 07-13-2018, 04:22 PM   #17
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
Its one thing to say that the show was episodic a lot of the time, but another to say that there was no viewing order in mind. I mean, clearly many episodes are meant to be watched in a specific order (for e.g Usagi Yojimbo before Usagi Come Home).

Its not like Tom and Jerry where every episode is different and there is no overarching plot. Nothing against that show or the format (i love them infact), but it is clear that the "arguement" of FW tmnt having no continuity is only made to discredit it.

Old 07-13-2018, 04:28 PM   #18
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Its one thing to say that the show was episodic a lot of the time, but another to say that there was no viewing order in mind. I mean, clearly many episodes are meant to be watched in a specific order (for e.g Usagi Yojimbo before Usagi Come Home).

Its not like Tom and Jerry where every episode is different and there is no overarching plot. Nothing against that show or the format (i love them infact), but it is clear that the "arguement" of FW tmnt having no continuity is only made to discredit it.
I don't think I made that here but whatever. I just said it doesn't matter for the most part. Again, the kneejerk reaction at my argument comes across as a bit insecure, like there's some kind compulsion to defend against criticism, rather than adress it.
Hahahaha!
Old 07-13-2018, 04:52 PM   #19
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:

Yeah. I mean if you like a show with some basic continuity what's to stop the fans creating an episodic order? Saying who cares or the show was just made for merchandise is very narrow minded. Every animated TV show even made today is made with merchandise in mind, it's just a lot of shows in the 80s focused on that more. TMNT got off lightly compared to GI Joe or Transformers. In fact from interviews I read with Fred Wolf he always wanted to put the show before the merchandise. Anyway going off topic, apologies...

The point is while TMNT wasn't seralised to the extreme (I prefer that actually) it doesn't mean fans can't try to embrace the show's mythology and try to do something like put episodes of a show in a better viewing order.