The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > Introductions

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2019, 01:27 PM   #21
Wesley
Mad Scientist
 
Wesley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Republic of Ireland
Posts: 1,190
I never really liked Batman: TAS (maybe because Iím not a big Batman fan in general), but it did influence a lot of later 90s cartoons such as Gargoyles, Sonic SatAM and The Incredible Hulk.
__________________
Donatello: The tracker. It might work.
Raphael: Shrewd move, Donatello. If we ignore the problem, it might go away by itself. (from The Mean Machines)
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 03:22 PM   #22
mikey0
Stone Warrior
 
mikey0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
I never really liked Batman: TAS (maybe because Iím not a big Batman fan in general), but it did influence a lot of later 90s cartoons such as Gargoyles, Sonic SatAM and The Incredible Hulk.
Iíve never seen any of those cartoons, but a Kay Bee Toys by me used to carry every series of the 1995 Kenner Gargoyles line. The illustration of Goliath on the generic cards for the 1995 Kenner line did remind me an awful lot of the logo used for Batman the Animated Series from the fall of 1992 to sometime in 1993.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 02:26 PM   #23
Icebot
Foot Elite
 
Icebot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: East Coast, US
Posts: 2,754
Welcome aboard! Hope you enjoy it here!
Icebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 06:45 PM   #24
Egon1982
Foot Soldier
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Planet Mars
Posts: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey0 View Post
Nickelodeonís The Ren and Stimpy Show had an influence on cartoons after it and pop culture, whereas Tiny Toon Adventures and Batman the Animated Series did not.



Iím sorry, but that is not true. More children, teenagers, and adults knew the Turtles well after the first live-action film was shown in American movie theaters. As the website Den of Geek puts it, ďIn 1990 the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles were at the absolute peak of their popularity.ď
Batman TAS was influential just like Aeon Flux was and so was Simpsons! Batman TAS influenced the likes of Gargoyles to Spawn TAS and more.
Egon1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 08:11 PM   #25
mikey0
Stone Warrior
 
mikey0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egon1982 View Post
Batman TAS was influential just like Aeon Flux was and so was Simpsons! Batman TAS influenced the likes of Gargoyles to Spawn TAS and more.
The Simpsons is more influential than Batman TAS and Aeon Flux combined. The Simpsons ruled the pop culture world in 1990.

I forgot all about Spawn TAS. From my perspective, the best comic book animated series made in the 1990s were on the FOX network.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 11:21 AM   #26
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Emperor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sweden
Posts: 8,259
All this recent talking about animated Batman not having any influence feels strange, as we have talked a lot at this community about TMNT (Red Sky and 4 Kids) and many other action-adventure comics being influenced by the animated Batman series (allowing darker storylines with more violence).
__________________
Because of continuity and timeline errors, I've given up writing fanfiction based on the 1987-1996 animated television series. Instead, I'm trying to reboot the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles story, something many other fanfiction writers alredy do:

Hopefully, stories will later appear at

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/968367/O...NT-Cartoon-Fan
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 12:20 PM   #27
Egon1982
Foot Soldier
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Planet Mars
Posts: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey0 View Post
The Simpsons is more influential than Batman TAS and Aeon Flux combined. The Simpsons ruled the pop culture world in 1990.

I forgot all about Spawn TAS. From my perspective, the best comic book animated series made in the 1990s were on the FOX network.
What about Japanese animation like Akira and more being influential even for adult animation? Spawn i loved that series since i was 15.

How come you don't think Batman TAS was influential? it and X-Men were huge smash hit shows on fox even appealed to teens and adults alike.
Egon1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 12:59 PM   #28
mikey0
Stone Warrior
 
mikey0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
All this recent talking about animated Batman not having any influence feels strange, as we have talked a lot at this community about TMNT (Red Sky and 4 Kids) and many other action-adventure comics being influenced by the animated Batman series (allowing darker storylines with more violence).
The Red Sky seasons, 4Kids TV series, Gargoyles, Spawn the Animated Series, and even Batman the Animated Series are all little known shows from the 1990s and 2000s to most people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egon1982 View Post
What about Japanese animation like Akira and more being influential even for adult animation? Spawn i loved that series since i was 15.

How come you don't think Batman TAS was influential? it and X-Men were huge smash hit shows on fox even appealed to teens and adults alike.
How does Akira factor into all of this?

How do you know Batman TAS and X-Men TAS were huge smash hit shows on FOX that appealed to teenagers and adults of the 1990s? Can I please see your citations for this?

Iím strongly inclined to say that the Mighty Morphiní Power Rangers were the biggest force of any programming block on FOX from the mid 90s to the late 90s because the best-selling Christmas toy lists in the USA online perfectly illustrates this.

Last edited by mikey0; 01-31-2019 at 01:13 PM.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 01:37 PM   #29
Egon1982
Foot Soldier
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Planet Mars
Posts: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey0 View Post
The Red Sky seasons, 4Kids TV series, Gargoyles, Spawn the Animated Series, and even Batman the Animated Series are all little known shows from the 1990s and 2000s to most people.



How does Akira factor into all of this? ]

How do you know Batman TAS and X-Men TAS were huge smash hit shows on FOX that appealed to teenagers and adults of the 1990s? Can I please see your citations for this?

Iím strongly inclined to say that the Mighty Morphiní Power Rangers were the biggest force of any programming block on FOX from the mid 90s to the late 90s because the best-selling Christmas toy lists in the USA online perfectly illustrates this.
What do you mean Batman TAS is little known? it was an impactful show that had huge ratings on Fox and X-Men was the number one saturday morning animated show at the time with huge ratings among comic fans, kids, teens and adults.

And you don't think Batman TAS were as impactful as the live-action Burton films? well the animated show broke new ground among many audiences and is on the top TV shows list on the IMDB top TV shows of all time and became influential to those who grew up in the 90s, animators, animation makers and was a game changer. Or is TAS really just a cult show?


And the only people who remember Gargoyles are those who grew up in the 90s? it has gained a HUGE cult following and do you think it's a cult show?

Akira broke new ground that animation is not just a children's medium but there can be ones aimed at adults and anime was a cult thing before Pokemon, Dragonball Z and Sailor Moon came to the mainstream and there is some anime that some people grew up with like Voltron and others. But was anime just a cult thing?

Do you know what cult means?
Egon1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 04:39 AM   #30
mikey0
Stone Warrior
 
mikey0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egon1982 View Post
What do you mean Batman TAS is little known? it was an impactful show that had huge ratings on Fox and X-Men was the number one saturday morning animated show at the time with huge ratings among comic fans, kids, teens and adults.

And you don't think Batman TAS were as impactful as the live-action Burton films? well the animated show broke new ground among many audiences and is on the top TV shows list on the IMDB top TV shows of all time and became influential to those who grew up in the 90s, animators, animation makers and was a game changer. Or is TAS really just a cult show?


And the only people who remember Gargoyles are those who grew up in the 90s? it has gained a HUGE cult following and do you think it's a cult show?

Akira broke new ground that animation is not just a children's medium but there can be ones aimed at adults and anime was a cult thing before Pokemon, Dragonball Z and Sailor Moon came to the mainstream and there is some anime that some people grew up with like Voltron and others. But was anime just a cult thing?

Do you know what cult means?
Batman the Animated Series, X-Men, and Gargoyles might have been cult shows at the time (more so in this century), but there were media blitzes for the TMNT (yes, still), The Simpsons, The Ren and Stimpy Show, Beavis and Butthead, Mighty Morphiní Power Rangers, South Park, Rugrats, and PokŤmon in the 1990s.

While there have been anime cult series and movies, Voltron was not one of them. The Transformers were much bigger hit in the US than Voltron nonetheless.

Iím sorry to tell you this, but Batman the Animated Series was nowhere near as impactful as the first live-action Burton film. And I like Mark Hamillís Joker over Jack Nicholsonís Joker like the next guy. Our opinions are not stats. This board has been the only place Iíve seen posters say that Sonic the Hedgehog (Saturday morning animated series), Gargoyles, The Incredible Hulk (the 1996 series) were Batman the Animated Series copycats. From what I have gathered from Google, the production company Buena Vista did at one time fear that Gargoyles would be seen as a Batman the Animated Series knockoff in the mid to late 1990s. Children of the mid to late 1990s tend to compare Gargoyles to the TMNT or Fantastic Four and not Batman the Animated Series.

When I see Pinky and the Brain of Animaniacs fame, I definitely see Ren and Stimpy from Nickelodeonís The Ren and Stimpy Show. Commentators on here have listed their Batman the Animated Series rip-offs that time has forgotten about. But I do not feel Batman the Animated Series was influential to 90s animators at all. I will admit that Batman the Animated Series broke new ground from the very minute ďThe Cat and the Claw Part 1Ē aired on FOX, but thatís it. The 1992 Kenner Batman the Animated Series action figure line is really best known to comic book buyers and adult toy collectors for one toy (DeVito-esque Penguin), as it was even then. The whole first wave and Party Wagon from the original 1988 Playmates Toys TMNT toy line is what that line is remembered for.

I do not need to go into detail about how the 8 inch and 6 inch (Auto Morphiní) Power Rangers, Megazord, and Dragonzord were absolute must-haves for children in the Batman TAS era (mid 90s). There is holiday film from the late 90s (Jingle All the Way) to remind us of that.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.