The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 11-23-2020, 06:54 AM   #1
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

IDW TMNT and TONE

Across nearly 120 issues so far (with no signs of stopping), IDW's TMNT run has juggled several tones. What dominates?

What is the overall tone of IDW? It obviously lacks Mirage's darker, introspective tone in places (and if you count the Guest Era, Mirage Vol. 1 lacks cohesiveness and can be pretty goofy).

FOR ONCE, Let's put aside the no-kill mandate.
Does IDW's tone resemble a kid's action cartoon? Is it more serious with high stakes?

What would you prefer? Would you prefer something closer to the dark melodrama of the 1990 film? Closer to the zaniness of some guest era stories or the softer 87 toon?

Is it closer to the 2K3 show (as some have suggested)? And, is it true that Tom Waltz used 2K3 as a main inspiration?

Last edited by PizzaPower1985; 11-23-2020 at 08:11 AM.
PizzaPower1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 07:21 AM   #2
CyberCubed
Overlord

I'd say it's around the tone of a PG-13 movie. Like most PG-13 movies it does have some violence and stuff that doesn't make it for kids, but of course it doesn't go too far into the extreme to make it R rated or adult only.

So PG-13 sounds about right.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 03:21 AM   #3
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaPower1985 View Post

Is it closer to the 2K3 show (as some have suggested)? And, is it true that Tom Waltz used 2K3 as a main inspiration?
Well, to this day, I'm pretty sure he is the only person to ever use 4Kids characters like Darius Dun, the Street Phantoms and that random Battle Nexus contender. Not to mention the prominent use of Hun, Angel and Bishop, as well Ch'Rell being a factor. So... It is certainly more 4Kids inspired than any other TMNT released since it ended.

So if Tom comes back to writing the main book, I would not be surprised if we got to see characters like Traximus, Nano, The Ancient one, The Tribunal, Quarry, The Daimyo, Drako, Starlee or Uncle Augie show up.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 05:49 AM   #4
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaPower1985 View Post
I did read somewhere in an interview that Waltz was inspired off the 2k3 series, though it what aspects, I'm not sure. If this is the case then as someone who enjoys the 2003 series being my favorite TMNT cartoon, there's some aspects about IDW that isn't gelling with me; the whole "no kill policy", having too many canon immigrant characters, certain artists' designs for the characters (Mateus Santolouco), and recently adding a new turtle into the mix just makes it seem like they're trying too hard to cater to everyone instead of making something more, I don't know....consistent. And from what I read the stories can be well-done and the writing can be fantastic sometimes. I don't know though, I'm not sure what this comic's overall tone is.

I guess what I'm saying is I think IDW is fine and I'm very glad that TMNT comics are still going. But from what I've read, it's hard for me to be fully invested in this version. Sorry for my little rant, PP1985.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 07:28 AM   #5
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
I did read somewhere in an interview that Waltz was inspired off the 2k3 series, though it what aspects, I'm not sure. If this is the case then as someone who enjoys the 2003 series being my favorite TMNT cartoon, there's some aspects about IDW that isn't gelling with me; the whole "no kill policy", having too many canon immigrant characters, certain artists' designs for the characters (Mateus Santolouco), and recently adding a new turtle into the mix just makes it seem like they're trying too hard to cater to everyone instead of making something more, I don't know....consistent. And from what I read the stories can be well-done and the writing can be fantastic sometimes. I don't know though, I'm not sure what this comic's overall tone is.

I guess what I'm saying is I think IDW is fine and I'm very glad that TMNT comics are still going. But from what I've read, it's hard for me to be fully invested in this version. Sorry for my little rant, PP1985.
By all means, rant away. IMO, Waltz was the driving force and is a master storyteller. Several influences that I dont care for came into the book and I dropped it when Tom left. My main complaint was that it was getting too crowded.
PizzaPower1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 07:34 AM   #6
CyberCubed
Overlord

The series is much more violent than the cartoon, more on-screen death and impalement.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 10:36 AM   #7
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
The series is much more violent than the cartoon, more on-screen death and impalement.
We all know that. But considering that there are quite a bit TMNT material that is little more than a goofy comedy, the 4Kids show isn't that far off from the IDW series on a relative scale.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote