The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

Old 05-20-2019, 06:49 AM   #1
Leo656
The Franchise

Favorite Newspaper Comic Strips

I'm almost positive that this has been discussed before at some point, but I'm as lazy as it gets so I'm certainly not about to go digging for it.

Just out of curiosity, what are/were some of your favorite newspaper comic strips? I confess, I haven't really kept up on any in many years, but I was fairly devoted as a kid. I rarely bothered with the black-and-white weekday strips, but I almost never missed the color Sunday ones. As I got a bit older I started bypassing the newspaper printings entirely and buying collected editions. Just seemed easier.

- My all-time favorite would almost certainly have to be Calvin & Hobbes. I own several large collected volumes, which never fail to make me laugh even today. I think it's probably the most relatable strip ever for anyone who first read it as a kid. I know I certainly identified more than a little bit with Calvin; particularly in how I had my own near-symbiotic relationship with a stuffed animal (fox) at that age. It's just such an all-around great piece of work.

- Second-place is a bit tricky. But for all-around quality purposes, I would have to give the nod to Dick Tracy. This one, I've actually NEVER read in the newspapers, for the simple reason that no paper in my area has ever consistently carried it. My exposure was entirely through colorized comic book reprints, and later, the gigantic collected editions of the black-and-white strips. I became a fan of the character with the Warren Beatty film, which led to a flood of reprints of classic material hitting the market shortly afterwards; the early-1990s were a great time to discover the roots of the character, as most of the best stuff was being re-released in almost any format you could ask for, and I picked up as much of it as I could.

I do confess, I kinda have to tap out once it gets to the sci-fi/"Moon People" era, and am really not at all a fan of that stuff; there's some fun to be had and some clever characters and stories, but I just find the whole thing far too incongruous with the hard-boiled detective strip it originated as. And I haven't kept up with anything "modern" that's been printed in the last few decades. But I still love the strips from the 30s, 40s, and some of the early 50s a lot. You just can't beat the classic Flattop, Shoulders, and Brow stuff.

- Finally there's Garfield. A somewhat controversial choice, perhaps, since it's become semi-fashionable in recent years to bash the strip, but I absolutely loved it as a kid; thus why it's a difficult choice between this and Tracy for my second-favorite - Tracy is absolutely the superior strip, but I definitely paid more attention to Garfield, especially when I was very young. Again, I had several of the original collections (I may still have them somewhere); I actually loved seeing how the earliest strips were so different from what it became famous for later, and watching the evolution unfold. It's gotten a reputation for being a bit dry, repetitive, and self-referential, but I've kind of always loved the sort of deadpan, Norm MacDonald-style humor it puts forth.

- Honorable Mentions: As a kid I paid a lot of attention to Peanuts, but I wouldn't go so far as to say it was one of my very favorites. I mean, maybe; I followed it a lot, watched all the animated specials, etc., but it always seemed a little "dry" to me.

Back when I read the papers a lot a little over ten years ago, I was a big fan of Pearls Before Swine and Get Fuzzy. Those were consistently funny.
----------------------

I anticipate several responses in favor of the old TMNT strip, or various super-hero strips such as Superman, Batman, Spider-Man, etc. I haven't listed any of those for the simple reason that they were never consistently published in my area, so I barely even have a passing familiarity with them despite being a fan of the characters otherwise. I vaguely remember reading a couple of the TMNT strips on the old official website 15+ years ago, but only a few, and I honestly don't recall any of it. The super-hero strips, I've only ever seen in occasional issues of Comic Shop News or some similar insert. So while I'd like to speak to some of that stuff, I simply can't. I'm almost positive that, at the least, the Superman and Batman strips have seen some of their stuff collected but I haven't picked any of those up as of yet.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 07:28 AM   #2
Powder
So tired of this place

Calvin & Hobbes. Bar none.

Others that strongly resonated with my family & I were Mutts & Zits.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 09:14 AM   #3
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

The Farside. Peanuts. Pearls Before Swine. In high school I used to kinda dress similarly to Jeremy from Zits. Like Baby Blues, when i can see it.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 09:16 AM   #4
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Calvin & Hobbes, obvs. Also extremely partial to Hagar the Horrible whenever I see the strip.

FoxTrot.
Old 05-20-2019, 09:18 AM   #5
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Calvin and Hobbs, Garfield (Minus Garfield), Haggar The Horrible, Amazing Spider-Man, Baby Blues.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 04:00 PM   #6
DarkFell
A Crusty Bob Fan

The Far Side. Good ol' Gary Larson put many a grin on my mug when his comic strip was still in print. Garfield used to do that too.

Otherwise, it's Foxtrot and Calvin & Hobbes that are my current faves.

I was also happy to see The Amazing Spiderman on the comics section within the Washington Post app.

Also, gonna add in Dagwood, Frank & Ernest, Mother Goose & Grimm, and even Dilbert.

Last edited by DarkFell; 05-23-2019 at 07:19 PM.
DarkFell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 07:01 PM   #7
Prowler
Emperor

I think I made a thread like this before, but it was already some years ago.

Well yeah, Calvin & Hobbes for me too. That's the one I still love as much since I was a kid. Ofc I like Garfield, Zits and Foxtrot as well but they aren't/weren't as consistent as C&H was. Garfield is mostly just for fun and Zits was more relatable when I was a teenager. Foxtrot is still enjoyable for me but not as much as when I was a kid.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 09:03 AM   #8
turtle1237
Stone Warrior

MY favorite is the Dick Tracy run from the 30's- to about the coming of the 60's imo.
turtle1237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 05:33 PM   #9
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

I only read two and I loved them since I was little. Peanuts and Blondie. As a 90s kid I was the last age group to read original Peanuts comic strips opppsed to the Classics that have been issued upon Shultz's final days at the turn of the century. Its still remarkably relatable and clever despite being placed further and further into the past.

Blondie is still ongoing since 1930 and only have been written by father and son. It adapts with age and yet is simple evdn if Dagwood long ago took the main focus. I wish to read older strips, but there are very littlebresources outside of the failed to take off IDW reprints.
Old 05-24-2019, 06:21 AM   #10
Icebot
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
I only read two and I loved them since I was little. Peanuts and Blondie. As a 90s kid I was the last age group to read original Peanuts comic strips opppsed to the Classics that have been issued upon Shultz's final days at the turn of the century. Its still remarkably relatable and clever despite being placed further and further into the past.

Blondie is still ongoing since 1930 and only have been written by father and son. It adapts with age and yet is simple evdn if Dagwood long ago took the main focus. I wish to read older strips, but there are very littlebresources outside of the failed to take off IDW reprints.
I read Blondie a lot too.

I also read Beetle Bailey and Curtis (not sure how popular Curtis is). I used to read Hi and Lois but that no longer gets published in my newspaper.

That’s all I read, I like them equally.
Icebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 03:42 PM   #11
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Of course Peanuts is fully captured both digitally and in physical media. However, is there a way to read Blondie prior to the current artist coming on board in 2005 from the comic strip's website? I am curious to see the gags evolve with technology.