The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 05-12-2019, 03:53 AM   #1
neatoman
Emperor

For how long did Shredder have the Technodrome?

There's a lot of things wrong with David Wise's writing, one of them keeping a logical timeline.

As an example of this, how long did Shredder have the Technodrome? The show clearly states that he used mutagen from the Technodrome to transform the turtles, who by the time the series actually start are skilled enough win fights in which they are outnumbered and outgunned.

The problem here is that Shredder explicitly wants to take over the world using the giant wheeled golfball but for whatever reason hasn't done so yet. Either him getting the Technodrome, mutating the Turtles and their training happened in very rapid succession (about a few days or so). Or he has had the Technodrome for years and simply never made a real move until the start of the series.

And there really isn't much of a logical balance here either, it still falls apart if we try to say it happen in about six months or so, because that's still ample time to take over the world and not enough to learn advanced martial arts.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 04:49 AM   #2
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Why Shredder didn't take over the world using the technodrome immediately, I would say is because Krang was the real one in control and making all the decisions.

His intention was to have his rock soldiers over from Dimension X first, so that they could help him conquer/destroy the planet.

As for the question of the thread, there is no definitive answer but I did get the impression that Shredder had only recently gotten access to the technodrome and mutated the turtles/Splinter.

For one, the turtles mutate directly into teenagers in the cartoon so there couldn't have been too much of a passage of time.

Secondly, the turtles managing to beat the robotic foot soldiers and punks is not that impressive since we know that both are pretty incompetent in the show, so the turtles could've been only been trained for a short amount of time.

Lastly, episode 1 starts with the news of Ninja robberies having just been spotted within the city and startling everyone, even though crime was a day to day fact of life.
Shredder couldn't have had the technodrome for that long if the foot soldiers only just began to pop in the news.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 04:56 AM   #3
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
For one, the turtles mutate directly into teenagers in the cartoon so there couldn't have been too much of a passage of time.
That was just flashback scenes, demonstrating the mutagen. Also, Back to the Egg and Adventures in Turtle Sitting show how they were when being around 4.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 08:32 AM   #4
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Turtles: It's Shredder's Technodrome!

Krang; made the Technodrome, controls the Technodrome, commands the Technodrome, commands Shredder in the Technodrome, knows everything about the Technodrome:

Shredder never "had" the Technodrome, he just lives there and occasionally takes the wheel. As for the topic at hand, we might have to go back even further to when Saki dishonored Yoshi. Which from the way Splinter describes it, sounds like had been a good several years.
Old 05-12-2019, 08:43 AM   #5
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
Turtles: It's Shredder's Technodrome
The turtles didn't even know Krang when first visiting the Technodrome. Not even Michelangelo.
Old 05-12-2019, 08:44 AM   #6
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

They were calling it that after they became aware of that, though.
Old 05-12-2019, 09:22 AM   #7
sdp
-

A lot of missed opportunities of what they could've done with the Technodrome, explaining how krang/shredder met etc. Maybe an IDW comic based off the OT can build on these ideas.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 11:36 AM   #8
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
A lot of missed opportunities of what they could've done with the Technodrome, explaining how krang/shredder met etc. Maybe an IDW comic based off the OT can build on these ideas.
Meanwhile, we have two fanfiction stories on this website, The Shredder is Born and The Exile of Krang. And the 2010's Fred Wolf–Nickelodeon crossovers...
Old 05-12-2019, 12:50 PM   #9
Prowler
Emperor

I, too, always wondered as a kid how Krang and Shredder met and what Krang's past was like.

Anyway, Shredder told the Turtles that it was in USA where he gained access to advanced technology, meaning he met Krang in USA. So NYC is probably where Krang and his Technodrome landed on Earth. And Shredder probably alleid himself with Krang because it was gonna be hard to take over the world by himself and with Earth technology only. And he originally used the mutagen to try and destroy Splinter. Which is a weird thing. Why not just send some henchmen to kill him? Oh wait, too dark for a children's cartoon, so it had to be with the mutagen. And he had to "destroy" him, not "kill him". I guess he turned him into a rat to confine him to a life of being a freak forever or something?

And tbh, why did Yoshi even move to USA after he was kicked out of the Foot Clan? He basically went there and became a homeless man, even though he seemed to speak English fluently. Couldn't he have found a job as a Starbucks worker or as a taxi driver or something?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 01:37 PM   #10
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
Turtles: It's Shredder's Technodrome!

Krang; made the Technodrome, controls the Technodrome, commands the Technodrome, commands Shredder in the Technodrome, knows everything about the Technodrome:
https://media.giphy.com/media/l3q2K5...hoCLS/200w.gif

Shredder never "had" the Technodrome, he just lives there and occasionally takes the wheel. As for the topic at hand, we might have to go back even further to when Saki dishonored Yoshi. Which from the way Splinter describes it, sounds like had been a good several years.
Shredder also calls it "his" Technodrome, implying that he considers it his to do as he pleases with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I, too, always wondered as a kid how Krang and Shredder met and what Krang's past was like.

Anyway, Shredder told the Turtles that it was in USA where he gained access to advanced technology, meaning he met Krang in USA. So NYC is probably where Krang and his Technodrome landed on Earth. And Shredder probably alleid himself with Krang because it was gonna be hard to take over the world by himself and with Earth technology only. And he originally used the mutagen to try and destroy Splinter. Which is a weird thing. Why not just send some henchmen to kill him? Oh wait, too dark for a children's cartoon, so it had to be with the mutagen. And he had to "destroy" him, not "kill him". I guess he turned him into a rat to confine him to a life of being a freak forever or something?

And tbh, why did Yoshi even move to USA after he was kicked out of the Foot Clan? He basically went there and became a homeless man, even though he seemed to speak English fluently. Couldn't he have found a job as a Starbucks worker or as a taxi driver or something?
There's a whole bunch of things that are nonsensical about the Fred Wolf backstory. Another thing you could add to the list is:
Why did Krang get a ninja/warlord to build a an android body, rather than an engineer?

Even the "improvements" over the comic could be done far better.
As bad as the PD movies are, they did make me realise that the one thing about Yoshi being Splinter that "makes more sense" (i.e him knowing martial arts), only does so until you remember that Splinter had plenty of time to teach himself.
Hahahaha!
Old 05-12-2019, 03:02 PM   #11
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Shredder also calls it "his" Technodrome, implying that he considers it his to do as he pleases with.

There's a whole bunch of things that are nonsensical about the Fred Wolf backstory. Another thing you could add to the list is:
Why did Krang get a ninja/warlord to build a an android body, rather than an engineer?

Even the "improvements" over the comic could be done far better.
As bad as the PD movies are, they did make me realise that the one thing about Yoshi being Splinter that "makes more sense" (i.e him knowing martial arts), only does so until you remember that Splinter had plenty of time to teach himself.
Honestly, never thought about that. Where did Shredder learn to build a robot? He also pitched the idea for Chromedome, but was he the one who designed it?
Old 05-12-2019, 03:35 PM   #12
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Honestly, never thought about that. Where did Shredder learn to build a robot? He also pitched the idea for Chromedome, but was he the one who designed it?
Shredder also designed the weapon from Night of the Dark Turtle that was ultimately used by Donatello to scare off the Triceratons.

Honestly, he was quite the engineer when you think about it.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
Old 05-12-2019, 05:53 PM   #13
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Shredder also designed the weapon from Night of the Dark Turtle that was ultimately used by Donatello to scare off the Triceratons.

Honestly, he was quite the engineer when you think about it.
Yeah it's odd considering we don't know what kind of education he had. All we knos was that he was a martial artist.

Last edited by Prowler; 05-12-2019 at 06:23 PM.
Old 05-12-2019, 06:16 PM   #14
neatoman
Emperor

Well I guess it's technically possible to both be the full time head of a martial arts school and have an engineering degree, it's just a rather absurd combination.

A civil engineering program (in Sweden) takes five years to finish and require passing grades (preferably high ones) in high school level physics, chemistry and mathematics.

I don't know what it takes to become the head of a martial arts school but I assume you'd have to be the number one student and stay loyal to that particular school, then only get the position once the previous head retires.

He'd first have to spend all his teen years trying to get high grades in some of the hardest school subjects, then get his engineering degree in his mid twenties. Only then would he have to join a dojo in order to pursue a seemingly unrelated career, which could easily take years if not decades to go anywhere.
Hahahaha!
Old 05-12-2019, 06:23 PM   #15
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Well I guess it's technically possible to both be the full time head of a martial arts school and have an engineering degree, it's just a rather absurd combination.

A civil engineering program (in Sweden) takes five years to finish and require passing grades (preferably high ones) in high school level physics, chemistry and mathematics.

I don't know what it takes to become the head of a martial arts school but I assume you'd have to be the number one student and stay loyal to that particular school, then only get the position once the previous head retires.

He'd first have to spend all his teen years trying to get high grades in some of the hardest school subjects, then get his engineering degree in his mid twenties. Only then would he have to join a dojo in order to pursue a seemingly unrelated career, which could easily take years if not decades to go anywhere.
Yeah. But on the other hand, Donatello being such a scientific and engineering genius is even more absurd. Shredder having engineering skills alongside being a black belt and having turned the Foot Clan into a crime syndicate in japan for some years is already a bit farfetched... but Donatello, a mutant turtle who lived in the sewers all his life and thus obviously couldn't pursue any type of education whatsoever being highly skilled in mathematics, physics and engineering?! How the hell did he learn all of that? Did he self-teach himself such things by finding old books in the trash or something? But I don't think that's possible, considering such subjects and skills aren't obtainable in the same way that learning a foreign language is, for example. Plus, this was the 80s/early 90s. No such thing as online classes or degrees back then.
Old 05-13-2019, 08:43 AM   #16
Overlord

Japan

So yeah, the first thing comic and cartoon writers think of is how the education system of Japan works in every single detail.
Old 05-13-2019, 11:42 AM   #17
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
So yeah, the first thing comic and cartoon writers think of is how the education system of Japan works in every single detail.
Of course, amd we even have these wonderful little insights into Shredder's personal life, scattered throughout the series

In the episode, Take me to Your Leader:

Shredder: The entire planet will be turned into a deep freeze that will make the Ice Age look like a Turkish bath!

Krang: Ooh, you have a way with words Shredder!

Shredder: Well, actually I always wanted to be a writer, being a ruthless conquerer was my second choice.

I want to know more about the days of Shredder being an aspirational writer! (and what made him change? overbearing Tiger parents wanting him to get a "respectable" career, thus forcing him into engineering?)

Old 05-13-2019, 12:18 PM   #18
Overlord

Quote:
Shredder: Well, actually I always wanted to be a writer, being a ruthless conquerer was my second choice.
Believe it ot not, but it may actually be a reference to Adolf Hitler who was an artist during the early 20th Century.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-46991969
Old 05-13-2019, 12:19 PM   #19
neatoman
Emperor

I'm gonna guess Jump rejected his pilot chapter of "Dr Samurai Frankenstein and his Cyborg Alien Squid" because it was too unrelatable.
Hahahaha!
Old 05-13-2019, 12:32 PM   #20
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Of course, amd we even have these wonderful little insights into Shredder's personal life, scattered throughout the series

In the episode, Take me to Your Leader:

Shredder: The entire planet will be turned into a deep freeze that will make the Ice Age look like a Turkish bath!

Krang: Ooh, you have a way with words Shredder!

I want to know more about the days of Shredder being an aspirational writer! (and what made him change? overbearing Tiger parents wanting him to get a "respectable" career, thus forcing him into engineering?)
Shredder did have a way with words. He was a pretty good speaker and came up with a lot of creative ways to insult Bebop and Rocksteady, Krang and the Turtles.

It's kinda funny how he was so incompetent and sometimes made to look like an idiot, when in fact he actually seemed somewhat clever.