The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 12-07-2019, 02:25 AM   #381
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
I don’t think they’re really ignoring GB2. They’re just not bringing it up yet. I think we’d know by now if it was a retcon style sequel.
Maybe I'm being paranoid, but the way they're spinning it is that 1984 Stay Puft thing is the only thing people remember. Which would be colossally weird. Because it wasn't a one off thing. Anyone skeptical about ghosts in 1984's incident had only to wait 5 years to see the Statue of Liberty walking around and the Titanic returning.... which is hard to imagine anyone still being skeptical at that point.

Maybe there will be like a line of dialogue about "wasn't there that museum thing too?" A throwaway thing. MAYBE. But I can't wrap my head around the Ecto-1/1A thing. Like, maybe they bought another hearse and upgraded it beyond the first hearse... I've always assumed it was the same car. But why would they but another hearse when they were rich and didn't need to?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 03:55 AM   #382
Wildcat
Foot Elite

I think it’s portrayed that way because it has more to do with the first events. Specifically Gozer.

As for the car they might have just reverted it back to Ecto-1 before whatever caused them to retire. Like I’ve always said...they never explained what any of it was for. Hopefully they will now since it’s being fixed. Like a users manual Egon left for all the modifications.

Maybe those extra lights and satellite dish are in the barn
Old 12-09-2019, 08:15 AM   #384
Vegita-San
Emperor

please BE AS GOOD AS IT LOOKS...

people are understandly guarded and upset after the trashfire that was both the last movie, and the fallout if you disliked the last movie.

Just look at the idiots on twitter already...

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?

Last edited by Vegita-San; 12-09-2019 at 09:38 AM.
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 09:40 AM   #385
IMJ
Emperor

Fun trailer, but it looks more like the Disney Star Wars that we got rather than the Disney Star Wars that we wanted.

I was hoping for a trailer maybe showing Ray's efforts to put things back together, while "the kids" are more of a secondary plot. But this trailer looks like the entire first act of the movie, leaving little to no real room for the original guys. It's only the first trailer, but it's not the "Ghostbusters Return" movie I want to see. A bunch of kids on a farm wreaking havoc with Ghostbusters stuff.

This trailer makes it look like the last shot of the movie is going to be the kid from Stranger Things triumphantly telling someone, with his 14 to 17 year old friends standing around "we're the Ghostbusters, man".

Last edited by IMJ; 12-09-2019 at 09:49 AM.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 10:12 AM   #386
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

I love Paul Rudd's line there hasn't been a ghost sighting in 30 years.

2016 movie fans but our movie

THERE HASN"T BEEN A GHOST SIGHTING IN 30 Years
Old 12-09-2019, 01:22 PM   #387
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Looks better than the previous film, for sure. I'm hyped.
TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 02:51 PM   #388
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I like the line about "the 80s were like the Walking Dead." That's good. That implies that there was more than just the 1984 incident (i.e., GB2).

Whoa... I just realized that mine has a sign that says "SHANDOR MINING COMPANY." As in... Ivo Shandor, the guy who freaking made the Cult of Gozer and built that building to bring in Gozer!

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 12-09-2019 at 03:10 PM.
Old 12-09-2019, 03:55 PM   #389
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
Fun trailer, but it looks more like the Disney Star Wars that we got rather than the Disney Star Wars that we wanted.

I was hoping for a trailer maybe showing Ray's efforts to put things back together, while "the kids" are more of a secondary plot. But this trailer looks like the entire first act of the movie, leaving little to no real room for the original guys. It's only the first trailer, but it's not the "Ghostbusters Return" movie I want to see. A bunch of kids on a farm wreaking havoc with Ghostbusters stuff.

This trailer makes it look like the last shot of the movie is going to be the kid from Stranger Things triumphantly telling someone, with his 14 to 17 year old friends standing around "we're the Ghostbusters, man".
That's pretty much what I've been afraid of since the jump.

I mean, this is what happens when you wait too long. Everybody's too old and fat to do anything relevant and one of the franchise creators is dead. Can this be a decent movie? Sure. But can it ever possibly be as satisfying as a "real" Ghostbusters 3 could have been if they did it 15 years ago? No chance. AND, related to everything you pointed out, it could also be corny as hell, we don't know yet.

We'll see. It would have to literally give a person herpes in order to be as bad as the last sh*tpile, though, so at least we probably don't have to worry TOO much.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 09:23 PM   #390
raph27
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Whoa... I just realized that mine has a sign that says "SHANDOR MINING COMPANY." As in... Ivo Shandor, the guy who freaking made the Cult of Gozer and built that building to bring in Gozer!
Yeah, that jumped out at me too. I wonder if Shandor will play a role similar to the video game.
raph27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 09:29 PM   #391
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Trailer is great. To me it’s Ghostbusters 3 no matter what. Ya it should have been made a long time ago but who’s to say what kind of storyline qualifies as a sequel? It’s a proper continuation.

Anyway I’m glad it’s not set in New York. At least not entirely. I’ve always said the supernatural can be anywhere and choosing a different place opens it up.

Having a new team, regardless of relationship, is clearly what’s needed to continue. If 1 or 2 of the original members sticks around beyond this movie as mentors or something that’s cool but we needed new people.

I love the Ecto-1 gunner seat. I’m glad the car actually does something useful now. Still hope they explain the roof. It’s kinda funny, did it always have an unused gunner seat? Maybe Egon added it after GB2.

Couple of minor criticisms I have.

They’re going with Gozer again I guess. That’s fine but there’s a lot of evil entities/monsters you could come with. As long as we get some variety of ghosts and enemies I’ll be satisfied.

Also I’ve always wanted to see the equipment more modernized since so much time has passed but it’s obviously going to remain unchanged.

It’s about them finding everything post retirement so I understand. It fits. Any major updates are more suitable for a part 4. I hope we get something new though. Like an unused invention Egon was working on.

The one thing I hope gets a proper explanation is why they needed to retire a second time. To me they should have stayed in business. Possibly with other locations opening up in different cities. That’s always been my preferred direction.
Old 12-09-2019, 10:42 PM   #392
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
Trailer is great. To me it’s Ghostbusters 3 no matter what. Ya it should have been made a long time ago but who’s to say what kind of storyline qualifies as a sequel? It’s a proper continuation.

Anyway I’m glad it’s not set in New York. At least not entirely. I’ve always said the supernatural can be anywhere and choosing a different place opens it up.

Having a new team, regardless of relationship, is clearly what’s needed to continue. If 1 or 2 of the original members sticks around beyond this movie as mentors or something that’s cool but we needed new people.

I love the Ecto-1 gunner seat. I’m glad the car actually does something useful now. Still hope they explain the roof. It’s kinda funny, did it always have an unused gunner seat? Maybe Egon added it after GB2.

Couple of minor criticisms I have.

They’re going with Gozer again I guess. That’s fine but there’s a lot of evil entities/monsters you could come with. As long as we get some variety of ghosts and enemies I’ll be satisfied.

Also I’ve always wanted to see the equipment more modernized since so much time has passed but it’s obviously going to remain unchanged.

It’s about them finding everything post retirement so I understand. It fits. Any major updates are more suitable for a part 4. I hope we get something new though. Like an unused invention Egon was working on.

The one thing I hope gets a proper explanation is why they needed to retire a second time. To me they should have stayed in business. Possibly with other locations opening up in different cities. That’s always been my preferred direction.
Well they said ghosts weren't spotted since the 80s. No ghosts, no job.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 10:49 PM   #393
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
It had to be shortly after GB1 but before GB2. They weren't rocking the Ecto-1 by GB2, they were rocking the Ecto-1A... which now we know is an all different vehicle, not an upgrade.
Old 12-09-2019, 11:23 PM   #394
Wildcat
Foot Elite

If supernatural activity stopped it makes sense. I just thought there would still be your typical hauntings that they’d take care off.

The thing about the car, ya I guess it would be between both 1 and 2 but I thought of something.

Why would they have bought another one? They had different jobs at the start of GB2 so why spend more money? Plus finding the same model is kind of far fetched. It was old to begin with.

Neither car was very different anyway. The extras were just cosmetic as far as anyone is concerned because they never establish what it’s for.

I can buy there being 2 cars (and maybe Ray kept the 1A) but it seems really impractical. I still think it makes more sense they just reverted it back because they didn’t need the extra “baggage”.
Old 12-09-2019, 11:37 PM   #395
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
If supernatural activity stopped it makes sense. I just thought there would still be your typical hauntings that they’d take care off.
I think we all assumed that. Does this mean the IDW comics are non-canon now?

Quote:
I can buy there being 2 cars (and maybe Ray kept the 1A) but it seems really impractical. I still think it makes more sense they just reverted it back because they didn’t need the extra “baggage”.
While I myself always assumed the Ecto-1A was merely an upgrade of the Ecto-1, there is a logical explanation for why that may be. The license plate. If they just added stuff to the old car, why go to the trouble of re-registering the car under a new license plate # with New York? Why wouldn't they just leave it ECTO-1?
Old 12-09-2019, 11:57 PM   #396
Wildcat
Foot Elite

I have not read the idw comics.

I don’t think you would need to register that kind of license plate. Wasn’t just the name? Like a novelty plate. I never thought about it.

The car is still working at the beginning at the birthday party. It makes no sense to spend money on an entirely separate, but identical car just because they were rehired as ghostbusters shortly after.

This has to be the same car. If they reveal there’s 2 separate ones that’s gonna be hilarious. I guess you could say 1A was wrecked so they went back to Ecto-1 but from their own personal standpoint it makes no sense to buy 2.
Old 12-10-2019, 12:08 AM   #397
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
I have not read the idw comics.

I don’t think you would need to register that kind of license plate. Wasn’t just the name? Like a novelty plate. I never thought about it.
You have to register that kind of license plate, yes. Or any kind of license plate. You want to make a custom one, you have to apply, the city can say "No," etc.. The question is, why would they go and re-register a NEW plate for the same car, if it was the same car?

Quote:
The car is still working at the beginning at the birthday party. It makes no sense to spend money on an entirely separate, but identical car just because they were rehired as ghostbusters shortly after.

This has to be the same car. If they reveal there’s 2 separate ones that’s gonna be hilarious. I guess you could say 1A was wrecked so they went back to Ecto-1 but from their own personal standpoint it makes no sense to buy 2.
Your points are sound. But here we are with Ghostbusters: Afterlife, in which we know the Ecto-1 is completely untouched for 30 years in a barn somewhere. Between that, there being 0 story reason for them to hypothetically stripping down all (not even most, all) of the upgrades from the 1A post-GB2 (especially with there being no ghosts anymore), the license plate thing, and the GB2 did happen thing (the trailer's alluding that GB2 DID happen)... the only possible explanation that makes everything work is that there was two cars.

Who knows. Maybe the Ecto-1 had something wrong with it. Or maybe Egon pulled it aside/mothballed it and made it his pet project while the "main" car was replaced with a fresh model (Ecto-1A) for their reopening in GB2.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 12-10-2019 at 12:28 AM.
Old 12-10-2019, 12:11 AM   #398
Leo656
The Franchise

I think it's great how you put a thousand times more thought into this stuff than the "professionals" do, buddy.

Old 12-10-2019, 12:18 AM   #399
d_osborn
Mad Scientist

The Ectomobile was supposed to be an entirely different vehicle in GB2. A converted stretch Checker cab, a converted limo, Lincoln Town Car... there were all sorts of crazy ideas being tossed around. One was a geared-out trailer towed behind Ecto 1, built from the rear of another 59 Caddy.

As for the 1/1A in Afterlife, I hope it's lightly explained. Some caution striping would have gone a long way.

I really hope it's something other than "focus groups said it would be more nostalgic to use the 1984 Ecto" and distancing themselves from GB2.

Quote:
The German version of the trailer has another scene-- the Ecto Goggles were upgraded at some point around the 80s or 90s. The PKE is also slightly different. I'm sure well see new gear.
d_osborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 12:23 AM   #400
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
I really hope it's something other than "focus groups said it would be more nostalgic to use the 1984 Ecto" and distancing themselves from GB2.
BUT... deep down, we all know that it's 100% This And Only This.

I really dug the caution tape. Scumbags.