The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion > Collection Photos

Notices

Old 04-28-2014, 09:00 PM   #2081
MrPliggins
Foot Elite

That page from #3 is such a classic. What can I sell to afford???? Probably only my TMNT #1 :/
MrPliggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:05 PM   #2082
bronty
Thug

Trying to evaluate if I'd be happy with one of these for the price is tough! They all seem like various shades of not so great deals. Perhaps that means he's priced them well as otherwise he'd be sold out in 5 minutes I suppose.

But still I just find myself thinking ok if I pay 3-5k for one of these then a very top panel page would be X and and splash would be XX and a cover would be the GDP of Namibia.

#8 page 8 seems way out there though. 5k for a page with barely any turtles.

Last edited by bronty; 04-28-2014 at 09:19 PM.
bronty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 05:21 AM   #2083
Sofistocat
Stone Warrior

"Kevin Eastman meet Neal Adams, Neal meet Kevin. Kevin, listen to Neal, he knows how to price things to sell"

Can anybody say whether the Heavy Metal site was selling pagea frin all 3 RTNY books or only certain books? I'm quite curious now. Those prics are in a new stratosphere. I agree with PPPH about the newer trends. And the more pages sold at these prices pushes the FMV up. Its just the nature of the beast. With a few exceptions, its generally cheapest to go straight to the artist for OA.

My Technodrome Forums TMNT Collection

My ComicArtFan Galleries

Buy Mark Martin's Original Art HERE
Sofistocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 05:54 AM   #2084
Mayhem
Foot Elite

Well, I know how much they were asking for the original Raphael one-shot cover, so... these pages are a little bit cheaper
Old 04-29-2014, 06:02 AM   #2085
Plasticplayhouse
the gray ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronty View Post
Trying to evaluate if I'd be happy with one of these for the price is tough! They all seem like various shades of not so great deals. Perhaps that means he's priced them well as otherwise he'd be sold out in 5 minutes I suppose.

But still I just find myself thinking ok if I pay 3-5k for one of these then a very top panel page would be X and and splash would be XX and a cover would be the GDP of Namibia.

#8 page 8 seems way out there though. 5k for a page with barely any turtles.
That's the rational thinker in you my friend. These pages, as lovely as they are and as much as I too would love to own one, are way over priced for reasons you and others have already stated. These are common pages with lots of panels and text. No partial splash, no full splash, not even one that I can say has a single tremendous panel in it...just common pages. He knows if he sells them for true FMV, they will sell fast. He doesn’t really care if he sells them, but if he is going to sell them, he wants the max attainable (and understandably so) and I think there are plenty of amped up, slightly over zealous fans who make good money and have itchy trigger fingers that will eventually accommodate him one or most of those pages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofistocat View Post
its generally cheapest to go straight to the artist for OA.
lol, not in this case. He seems to be the one championing this current over-price trend. I wish him all the best, but these are way more than I'm willing to pay.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:16 AM   #2086
Sofistocat
Stone Warrior

I think the prices for #8 pages reflect the first appearance of RENET. I know she is one of KE's favorite characters, she basically allowed him to draw the girls style he had developed working with/for Clay Geerdes prior to TMNT.

I totally agree with PPP about the business strategies of KE, hence my Neal Adams comment...

Next we're gonna see Heddon/McSweeny pages go for 3K for all dialog, no panels, no turtles, just writing.

At least all this makes the pages I sell for Mark look like the deal othe century(apologies for the shameless advertisement)

My ComicArtFan Galleries

Old 04-29-2014, 11:48 AM   #2087
bronty
Thug

Quote:
I think the prices for #8 pages reflect the first appearance of RENET.
thanks for that. Helps me understand Kevin's POV
Old 04-29-2014, 11:51 AM   #2088
bronty
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasticplayhouse View Post
That's the rational thinker in you my friend. These pages, as lovely as they are and as much as I too would love to own one, are way over priced for reasons you and others have already stated. These are common pages with lots of panels and text. No partial splash, no full splash, not even one that I can say has a single tremendous panel in it...just common pages. He knows if he sells them for true FMV, they will sell fast. He doesn’t really care if he sells them, but if he is going to sell them, he wants the max attainable (and understandably so) and I think there are plenty of amped up, slightly over zealous fans who make good money and have itchy trigger fingers that will eventually accommodate him one or most of those pages.

lol, not in this case. He seems to be the one championing this current over-price trend. I wish him all the best, but these are way more than I'm willing to pay.
yeah. Bummer as the cheap market seems to be gone overnight right as I was trying to pick one up and the rational side of me can't pay that when the implied value on the other pages would just not make sense. Oh well! thank you sir
Old 04-29-2014, 12:02 PM   #2089
Sofistocat
Stone Warrior

BTW, If anyone has an interest in some KE work from 1982 that went unpublished, PM me. I can put you into contact with the seller who subsequently runs Jabberwocky Graphix. The story would've been published there, but never made it to print. It's more in the vein of the Geerdes published stuff(sweet cheeks, bad girl art). It's like 6 pages of Ball Point pen OA. Think the story name was gonna be "Libido"

My ComicArtFan Galleries

Old 04-30-2014, 02:11 AM   #2090
bronty
Thug

That could be a cool pick up for somebody.

I've never heard of clay geerdes before... googling his name brings up some weird ****!
Old 04-30-2014, 03:37 AM   #2091
Sofistocat
Stone Warrior

Quote:
That could be a cool pick up for somebody.

I've never heard of clay geerdes before... googling his name brings up some weird ****!

He was underground to say the least.

My ComicArtFan Galleries

Old 04-30-2014, 03:10 PM   #2092
RatKingLeo
Foot Soldier

David Petersen has Turtles in Time 1&2 covers up for sale on his site. Man it seems like you need to hit the lottery to be a Turtle Collector nowadays. Wish I was an artist.

SHELLBACK ARTWORKS:
http://www.facebook.com/ShellbackArtworks
RatKingLeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:49 PM   #2093
bronty
Thug

Nice but I prefer my vintage turtles in time!
Old 04-30-2014, 07:50 PM   #2094
bronty
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatKingLeo View Post
David Petersen has Turtles in Time 1&2 covers up for sale on his site. Man it seems like you need to hit the lottery to be a Turtle Collector nowadays. Wish I was an artist.
A lot of artists have it pretty tough. It isn't all game and fortune. Some do well.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:22 PM   #2095
RatKingLeo
Foot Soldier

Quote:
A lot of artists have it pretty tough. It isn't all game and fortune. Some do well.
I definitely understand this, I guess in my own selfish way I'm just wishing that pieces were cheaper cause I'm broke haha. It just makes every piece I'm lucky enough to own special.

SHELLBACK ARTWORKS:
Old 05-04-2014, 02:25 PM   #2096
OA
Scatter the nuns!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPliggins View Post
Well our first recent RTNY page not being auctioned by Eastman just ended at $720, quite the difference from the $2000+ Eastman was getting. Esp as this was a cool splashy page. Well have to see more auctions like this but it looks like what I suspected might be coming true, that prices would fall dramatically yet still end at a higher mark than they would have had Eastman not auctioned. Perhaps the bottom prices have been elevated by all this activity but well need more auctions to know for certain.
Old 05-04-2014, 02:40 PM   #2097
Mayhem
Foot Elite

It also did what I've seen a few other original art auctions proceed recently... get a bunch of early bids, and then just sit there, and no one sniping at the end.
Old 05-04-2014, 04:48 PM   #2098
Sofistocat
Stone Warrior

I won the most recent RTNY auction. It was alot, but i have page 27, getting page 28 was kind of a no brainer. I put all my bids in on day 1, suprised to see only 1 other bidder. Given the prices of other pages recently, i concluded im may not get the oppurtunity to get a page from 19 or 21 at close to FMV. Sequential pages from 20 is good enough for me. I also picked up a decent Dooney page from #27 for $100 from Eastman. I felt the page was under priced and offset the ebay auction a bit too.

My ComicArtFan Galleries

Old 05-04-2014, 05:36 PM   #2099
RatKingLeo
Foot Soldier

I got this piece today, it's an unpublished Kevin Eastman piece from 1989
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (94.6 KB, 39 views)

SHELLBACK ARTWORKS:
Old 05-05-2014, 05:33 PM   #2100
bronty
Thug

Quote:
I won the most recent RTNY auction. It was alot, but i have page 27, getting page 28 was kind of a no brainer. I put all my bids in on day 1, suprised to see only 1 other bidder. Given the prices of other pages recently, i concluded im may not get the oppurtunity to get a page from 19 or 21 at close to FMV. Sequential pages from 20 is good enough for me. I also picked up a decent Dooney page from #27 for $100 from Eastman. I felt the page was under priced and offset the ebay auction a bit too.

Congrats on the sequential pages!