The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 03-13-2017, 10:33 PM   #281
Freeman
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***First of Two Latin Kings*** View Post
Spend your money on the stuff NECA and the like put out and stop worrying about the aesthetics and articulation of action figures put out by a kiddie toy company for children under 10.
I'm sorry guys, I'm gonna bite on this bait...

First, nobody cares who's the company behind as long as it is produced. Parents don't care if it's Playmates, Hasbro or Toys Pacific. Neither do kids. Despite having higher quality standards than them, neither do we as collectors so the "brand is most recognizable to people in association with TMNT" is worthless because beeing or not related to the turtles is out of the point.

Second, as an 'under 10 kiddie line' they've left a lot of charismatic characters out of their rooster and their quality has decreased significantly over the years. As a company they take too many shortcuts and lower the final products looks too much. As collector who also buy kids toys, we have the right to have a bad opinion about that.

Finally, despite we are free to buy NECA stuff, or even Sideshow Collectibles statues if we want, the grip Playmates unfortunately has over the 6 inch line prevents anybody else from providing quality products in this very desirable scale. And that is Playmates fault because they actually KNOW how bad their products are and how well other companies could do it, so they actually ban them from even trying. As a costumer I call that lame and unprofessional.

We wish we could forget about Playmates and only pay attention to other companies, but unfortunately we can't because they own the most popular, collectable and displayable line.
Old 03-14-2017, 07:04 AM   #282
go_ninja84
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post
I'm sorry guys, I'm gonna bite on this bait...

First, nobody cares who's the company behind as long as it is produced. Parents don't care if it's Playmates, Hasbro or Toys Pacific. Neither do kids. Despite having higher quality standards than them, neither do we as collectors so the "brand is most recognizable to people in association with TMNT" is worthless because beeing or not related to the turtles is out of the point.

Second, as an 'under 10 kiddie line' they've left a lot of charismatic characters out of their rooster and their quality has decreased significantly over the years. As a company they take too many shortcuts and lower the final products looks too much. As collector who also buy kids toys, we have the right to have a bad opinion about that.

Finally, despite we are free to buy NECA stuff, or even Sideshow Collectibles statues if we want, the grip Playmates unfortunately has over the 6 inch line prevents anybody else from providing quality products in this very desirable scale. And that is Playmates fault because they actually KNOW how bad their products are and how well other companies could do it, so they actually ban them from even trying. As a costumer I call that lame and unprofessional.

We wish we could forget about Playmates and only pay attention to other companies, but unfortunately we can't because they own the most popular, collectable and displayable line.
well said..
go_ninja84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 07:44 AM   #283
Candy Kappa
Passive-Aggressive Snob

My kid brothers who grew up with the 2k3 figures, preferred among the sh*t ton of Turtle variants they had, either the basic figures or the ones with more articulation like the Fightin' Gear, Paleo Patrol, Monster Trapper and the Basic Fast Forward figures.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 09:37 AM   #284
calmik
Thug

with all the new toys coming out and previewed at ToyFair, did anyone from Playmates say when we should be getting all of the new figures? like Q2? Q3?
calmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 10:24 AM   #285
Autbot_Benz
I Am The Doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***First of Two Latin Kings*** View Post
I don't disagree with what any of you are saying. I just can't understand why people seem so perplexed that Nickelodeon chose to stay with Playmates-- that brand is most recognizable to people in association with TMNT, more so than anything else.

They also don't seem to have the same hold over the licensure that they did in the old days. If you don't like their products, there are plenty of other companies making TMNT collectibles. Before you guys start complaining about scale again, the Figuarts figures are pretty close. I get that the price point is high but most here are adults in their thirties with careers. Spend your money on the stuff NECA and the like put out and stop worrying about the aesthetics and articulation of action figures put out by a kiddie toy company for children under 10.
IF Playmates would allow Neca to make 6/7 inch scale turtle figures at retail I am sure many of us wouldn't give 2 ***** about Playmates scale. But they wont

I respect what FW cartoon did for the turtles franchise but it is the most overrated and hard to watch of the 3 turtles cartoons.
Autbot_Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 01:06 PM   #286
Huzzah
Mad Scientist

That's my thought, and despite the availability of other options through various means. Even a thirty year old with a decent job who has kids, spouses, jobs, bills, etc... has trouble biting 60 dollar import figures (also unable to see them beforehand so you don't necessarily know the conditions they're in), similarly NECA options are not readily available, and you'll often be paying more than retail because a lot of us can't make it to conventions (no major conventions even remotely close to the Louisiana/Mississippi border). One other major problem with limited options and with limited venues to sell, is there will not be much character depth, you'll have four Turtles, maybe a Shredder and maybe a Foot Soldier. I bit on the Figuarts, love them, but I highly doubt that many figures apart from Shredder will be coming.

Whereas a mass retail six inch line such as a Marvel Legends releases obscure characters regularly, because they have a larger distribution field and a far friendlier cost. I guarantee you if NECA had free reign, for example, with a chance to mass market characters, a lot more characters would be released. I'd love 7 inch versions of their quarter scale Turtles (which would also allow better chances of getting other movie characters), but Playmates will not let that happen.
Huzzah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 04:57 PM   #287
EddieNES
Stone Warrior

I'm guessing we aren't getting the last 2 colossal turtles?

Kinda bums me out.

Raph and Don would've been great.
Old 03-14-2017, 05:59 PM   #288
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieNES View Post
I'm guessing we aren't getting the last 2 colossal turtles?

Kinda bums me out.

Raph and Don would've been great.
Raph and Don have been gettin' shafted pretty hard the last couple of years. Don, especially. And it seems it's not just one company doing that.

I make terrible video games. Please buy them.
Ninjinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 09:27 PM   #289
Huzzah
Mad Scientist

NECA was nice enough to release those two first. Not that I can afford those, heck I don't even have room for them...wouldn't matter anyway.
Old 03-26-2017, 05:23 PM   #290
Garfield
Hench Mutant

Probably a weird thing to say, but ah..what the hell. I love the way the Nick toys smell when you take them out of the box.
Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 08:03 PM   #291
Huzzah
Mad Scientist

Anyone else get the feeling that with the new series announced, many of their Toy Fair reveals will never see the light of day?
Old 03-27-2017, 07:16 AM   #292
Powder
Endless Screw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfield View Post
Probably a weird thing to say, but ah..what the hell. I love the way the Nick toys smell when you take them out of the box.
I think most collectors appreciate the smell of a brand spankin' new comic or figure.
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 07:22 AM   #293
Candy Kappa
Passive-Aggressive Snob

That new toy smell, I miss that.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:01 AM   #294
***First of Two Latin Kings***
Will not be censored

I still remember the smell the 1988 line had.
I can hear it now: "I'm sorry little April, I told you that if you didn't take good care of them I'd be taking them away. Now they are going to the lab to be abused for experimentation" (You could almost rewrite this as April caused the fire to get back at her father over it...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanadiandrome View Post
Powder I'd not defend him, that's just how he gets

International shipping assistance: DARTHCJJ@GMAIL.COM
***First of Two Latin Kings*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:15 AM   #295
Rat_King
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huzzah View Post
Anyone else get the feeling that with the new series announced, many of their Toy Fair reveals will never see the light of day?
I think there's a good chance that many, if even released, will have lower runs. We could end up with a figure like Muckman being the new Scratch or Hotspot. Whenever they put out a new figure it takes almost until the next wave before I see it regularly on shelves. If they do a wave and then cut the line to start over for the new series we may very well not see wide circulation.

Not to mention we will certainly never see the other two frogs or dream beavers. Not that I was holding my breath on those anyway. Lol.
Rat_King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 10:48 AM   #296
Huzzah
Mad Scientist

I've still never see Human Karai.
Old 03-28-2017, 01:36 AM   #297
Zachatello00
Not Sure I Deserved That

I've started seeing her pop up here and there again.
Zachatello00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 06:59 AM   #298
D Piddy 1982
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
I think most collectors appreciate the smell of a brand spankin' new comic or figure.
Mmm...flicking through the pages of a new comic or graphic novel and just taking one long sniff...

(not as perverted as it sounds...honest!)

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion; I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those... moments... will be lost, in time, like tears... in... rain. Time... to die."
D Piddy 1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 04:02 PM   #299
Powder
Endless Screw

Old book smell has its charms, too!
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 05:01 PM   #300
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Old book smell has its charms, too!
Yup! Especially old TMNT issues found at a bargain in an old book store!

Spoiler:
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2017, playmates bashing