The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

Old 03-01-2017, 11:02 AM   #801
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Batman:

Love the parallels with Bruce and Bane as children...

Ugh, wait, they're both talking to their dear mothers now.

Bane is awesome though: I am not a joke! I am not a riddle! I am not <you get the idea>. Love this bit of dialogue.

The twist with Catwoman and the visual juxtaposition was pretty awesome.

Nightwing:

I don't read this anymore. Read the review on Batman-News.com. Eh.
You are quite a fan of Dick Grayson as Nightwing and follower of the ongoings. What turned you off? This isn't exactly Devine Grayson/Bruce Jones disconnected from reality crap is it? Just plain dull?
Old 03-01-2017, 11:33 AM   #802
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
You are quite a fan of Dick Grayson as Nightwing and follower of the ongoings. What turned you off? This isn't exactly Devine Grayson/Bruce Jones disconnected from reality crap is it? Just plain dull?
Dull. It's basically retreading the exact same ground as the original Nightwing run... Dick goes to Bludhaven to be his own man. Falls in love. And apparently, according to solicits, Blockbuster is going to be a main antagonist in a few issues.

I've already read those stories, and they were BETTER when they were ORIGINAL.

Man, Nightwing has had a rough run of it. Back in the New 52, there were a lot of great ideas that kept getting prematurely cut (living with Haly's Circus on the road, owning the circus, setting up the Circus in Gotham...) but then they "killed" Dick and turned him into Agent Grayson instead. Which was well written, but I still didn't like it because Dick is a SUPERHERO, not a SECRET AGENT. After that, the Raptor/Court of Owls arc, again, was interesting but prematurely ended.

Basically, Dick can't catch a break. He's either having his interesting new ideas prematurely cut off, or he's in WTF land, or he's retreading old ground.
Old 03-01-2017, 12:12 PM   #803
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Dull. It's basically retreading the exact same ground as the original Nightwing run... Dick goes to Bludhaven to be his own man. Falls in love. And apparently, according to solicits, Blockbuster is going to be a main antagonist in a few issues.

I've already read those stories, and they were BETTER when they were ORIGINAL.

Man, Nightwing has had a rough run of it. Back in the New 52, there were a lot of great ideas that kept getting prematurely cut (living with Haly's Circus on the road, owning the circus, setting up the Circus in Gotham...) but then they "killed" Dick and turned him into Agent Grayson instead. Which was well written, but I still didn't like it because Dick is a SUPERHERO, not a SECRET AGENT. After that, the Raptor/Court of Owls arc, again, was interesting but prematurely ended.

Basically, Dick can't catch a break. He's either having his interesting new ideas prematurely cut off, or he's in WTF land, or he's retreading old ground.

That is why I believe Dick Grayson is best suited either as Robin or Batman. As Nightwing there is no solid direction.

Dick Grayson falling in love? It happened twice. Starfire has falls in love with while Barbara Gordon is his true love. Anyone else is just a crush or a failed brief romance going back to his college girlfriend Lori.

Blockbuster II,not Mark,but Desmond is being revived from the dead? Yeah, sounds like a retread and DC not knowing what to do with him. How long before Bludhaven is wiped from the DC map again?
Old 03-01-2017, 12:20 PM   #804
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
That is why I believe Dick Grayson is best suited either as Robin or Batman. As Nightwing there is no solid direction.

Dick Grayson falling in love? It happened twice. Starfire has falls in love with while Barbara Gordon is his true love. Anyone else is just a crush or a failed brief romance going back to his college girlfriend Lori.

Blockbuster II,not Mark,but Desmond is being revived from the dead? Yeah, sounds like a retread and DC not knowing what to do with him. How long before Bludhaven is wiped from the DC map again?
I think you have a point, but I don't agree. As Nightwing there CAN be solid direction, it is just harder than a more easily defined role as subordinate (Robin) or replacement (Batman). Nightwing is a unique identity, and as such needs a unique direction. The original run of Nightwing was amazing for its first 100 to 120 issues.

We need that amount of focus, long-term planning, and development. Really, only Batman can skate by without that... because he's Batman. We know who he is and why he is, but his family (Robins, Batgirls, and Nightwing oh my) are much harder to define in solo series and away from supporting roles. It CAN be done... but it's not easily achieved.

Also #dick&babs4eva... although I didn't mind Dick and Helena.
Old 03-01-2017, 12:29 PM   #805
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
I think you have a point, but I don't agree. As Nightwing there CAN be solid direction, it is just harder than a more easily defined role as subordinate (Robin) or replacement (Batman). Nightwing is a unique identity, and as such needs a unique direction. The original run of Nightwing was amazing for its first 100 to 120 issues.

We need that amount of focus, long-term planning, and development. Really, only Batman can skate by without that... because he's Batman. We know who he is and why he is, but his family (Robins, Batgirls, and Nightwing oh my) are much harder to define in solo series and away from supporting roles. It CAN be done... but it's not easily achieved.

Also #dick&babs4eva... although I didn't mind Dick and Helena.
That was a one night stand mistake and you know it. :p

Robin doesn't have to be a subordinate. Robin is the leader of the Teen Titans, anyone under 25 listens to him and everyone over respects him and is drawn to him as an associate. Not by virtue of being the most defined of the JLA's younger partners but because of what he did in the role. Dick is stuck in a 'waiting in the wing' role. He can't be Robin, but he can't be Batman because Batman is still active. He needs Batman in his life in some way yet also on his own. Why not have him get that college degree. He is valedictorian in some continuities. He can get quicker than the four years in their comic timeline.

I really want a partnership of Batman(Dick Grayson) and Batwoman (Barbara Gordon) patrolling Gotham. Its not going to happen.

You do have a point about Dick and the others. Dick thrives in team books or a book where he is working with others. There was a stretch late in Grayson's run where every time Dick Grayson appeared it was a masterwork yet in his own magazine it was a joke. Dick needs someone, be it Bruce, Barbara, Damien, Wally and he plays off of them well. On his own? not so much. I don't know what to do with that especially in the Nightwing identity.

Last edited by MikeandRaph87; 03-01-2017 at 12:35 PM.
MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 10:37 AM   #806
myconius
Abby Normal

Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
Quote:
Batman:

Love the parallels with Bruce and Bane as children...

Ugh, wait, they're both talking to their dear mothers now.

let me guess? we're gonna find out that Bane's mother's name is 'Martha' as well?

the comic will end with Batman and Bane hugging it out.
Old 03-07-2017, 03:56 AM   #807
ZariusTwo
Overlord

The identity of the mystery Clark was leaked by Bleeding Cool

Spoiler:
It's Mr. Mxyzptlk
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 06:09 AM   #808
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Action Comics

It's a shame the big reveal was spoiled at the top of the week, but there's not much substance to the main story either. DoppleClark is pretty much done away with barely three or four pages in and we get a nostaglia tour as Mxy takes on various forms of Super-Bads past and urges Clark to say his name like he's Walter White or something. After the reveal, Myx says he's going to make sure Jon is never remembered by anyone and takes his leave. The cliffhanger is Lois no longer remembers her own son.

The back-up strip by Dini is the real meat of the issue, and gives us answers to why Myx became Clark. During one of his visits, Myx was taken off the table and imprisoned by Mr. Oz, who did'nt want a random element intervening in his grand design for Superman. Myx is confident Supes will track him down when he does'nt show up after the 90 days elapse, but Oz says his prison will ensure Myx won't be detected for 2000 years. After a lot of time passes, a depressed Myx snaps and realizes Clark is'nt coming to check on him, and says his name backwards several times which helps him break free of the prison. He is flung back into Metropolis and he takes the guise of Clark, wiping his own memory to make sure he did'nt compromise his current location to his enemies.

Things eventually go sour and Myx's memories are triggered when he starts having designs on Lois and discovers Clark's family. He's envious of Jon and abducts him. He makes reference to travelling all over the multiverse in various forms, encountering the Supermen of television,. cartoons and comic books, and then toys further with Jon, tempting him with a return home (a game Jon wins by saying his mispronounciation of "purple hat" backwards), and then wrenching him away from that. Myx tells Jon he's looking at a magical imp who got tortutred just for trying to be a little too human

Detective Comics

It's another "Shiva is dissapointed in Cass" issue...we've seen them by the dozen. Kate and Commander Kane talk about her dad's encounter with Shiva and Cass gets all teary eyed and hugs Bruce. Kate gets a call from Rene alerting them to the man-hunt going on for the Bat-team in the wake of the Mayor's murder

New Superman

Lex helps restore Kenan's full power using a chinese gateway to hell and a solar powered skeleton of N52 Superman. Cliffhanger sees Superman show up, presumbly this is post-Reborn Supes as the next issue is meant to be a Reborn Aftermath tie-in
Old 03-14-2017, 03:28 PM   #809
saintsaucey
Hench Mutant

Is kate gone after her own book launches? I hope so cause I thought the whole point of detective was she was in charge of this team which isn't gonna happen as long as batman is around.

I didn't czae for most of this months batgirl and the birds of prey cause it was Nightwing and Batgirl and the birds of prey and it felt like i was coming in innthe middle of the story with it opening up mid chase. The side kick hiding a drug habit (for what ever reason) feels over done at this point. As does the superpowered fight club. Also did the editor not realize they were doing a similar story to titans where meta's weere getting their powers beefed up just so they could be taken away?

I like the mystery of sho is black bird even if that is a stupid name. That story and the art will keep me around. Picked up the variant cover cause I hate Paquette. Would love to know how the artist accomplished that "splicing" of the birds
saintsaucey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 02:02 PM   #810
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Man, if you did'nt read Superwoman last week you'd be lost trying to read Superman today

Really hope they stick the landing on this, this is basically the fun version of One More Day promising a genuinally positive outcome
Old 03-17-2017, 07:30 AM   #811
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

I know this is off-topic but I know Barbara was years older than Dick when she first appeared. Out of curiosity, when and why did DC de-aged her?
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 12:02 PM   #812
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
I know this is off-topic but I know Barbara was years older than Dick when she first appeared. Out of curiosity, when and why did DC de-aged her?
She was roughly 25 years old to Dick Grayson's 18 when she debuted in 1967. With Crisis on Infinite Earths we see her referred to as the largely the same age. It was originally presented as Dick Grayson falling for an older woman. It not until Batman:TAS which had Barbara depicted as a graduate class below Dick did they stick with that in the comics. If you recall The Batman had Dick four years younger than Barbara. I like it with Dick being the same age as her. It does also make it odd her not being a Titan in retroactive continuity. She was the oldest of the first sidekick generation. Linda Danvers herself was just fresh out of college when she was killed COIE#7.
Old 03-17-2017, 12:14 PM   #813
saintsaucey
Hench Mutant

Quote:
She was roughly 25 years old to Dick Grayson's 18 when she debuted in 1967. With Crisis on Infinite Earths we see her referred to as the largely the same age. It was originally presented as Dick Grayson falling for an older woman. It not until Batman:TAS which had Barbara depicted as a graduate class below Dick did they stick with that in the comics. If you recall The Batman had Dick four years younger than Barbara. I like it with Dick being the same age as her. It does also make it odd her not being a Titan in retroactive continuity. She was the oldest of the first sidekick generation. Linda Danvers herself was just fresh out of college when she was killed COIE#7.
She was also much older than Dick in the Adam West series. Her and Bruce were sort of dating in thag version. So for someone who was introduced to her there seeing her with Dick is a bit Jarring
saintsaucey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 12:40 PM   #814
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsaucey View Post
She was also much older than Dick in the Adam West series. Her and Bruce were sort of dating in thag version. So for someone who was introduced to her there seeing her with Dick is a bit Jarring
Yes, as I said it was not until Batman:TAS did we see Dick a year older opposed to six years younger. The concept of Batgirl dating Batman first arose in the direct-t0-DVD film Mystery of The Batwoman. Barbara flirts with Batman over the phone. Then last summer we saw the additional stuff to stretch out The Killing Joke. As controversial as The Killing Joke is the whole Barbara wanting to sexually conquer Batman, her fangirl crush was jarring and out of character.

It works having Barbara in the same age range of Dick Grayson no matter which one is slightly older than the other.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:28 AM   #815
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

DC's last event has Batman and Synder at the center. Is this dealing with the Watchmen button? It's titled 'Dark Days'.
https://www.yahoo.com/movies/dark-da...130607947.html
Old 03-20-2017, 04:50 PM   #816
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Read the DC solicits for June. Dinah and Ollie break up again. Green Arrow f*cking dropped.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:16 PM   #817
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Read the DC solicits for June. Dinah and Ollie break up again. Green Arrow f*cking dropped.
Maybe they're trying to imitate the amount of dumb drama from the CW show? Either way, it's still idiotic.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 06:17 AM   #818
myconius
Abby Normal

Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DestronMirage22 View Post
Maybe they're trying to imitate the amount of dumb drama from the CW show? Either way, it's still idiotic.
maybe they'll make a big 'multi-title' 'tie-in' 'mini-series' 'cross-over' event for when they eventually get back together?

probably have like 100 different variant covers?
Old 03-26-2017, 08:42 AM   #819
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:

So it was technically TAS that did it first, right?

Unpopular opinion but I feel that the voice actress for Babs in B:TAS Melissa Gilbert was miscasted. She sounded awful and this coming from a show with a critically acclaimed voice cast.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 09:40 AM   #820
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Tony Isabella (Creator of Black Lightning) is returning to write for DC Comics: https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/03...ightning-deal/

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batman, bendis, dc comics, superman, wonder woman