The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: What should next movie be?
Animated 18 47.37%
Live Action 20 52.63%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2016, 09:45 AM   #21
Chris
Mad Scientist
 
Chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: UK
Posts: 1,299
Gonna go with animated. After Out of the Shadows I'd like to see the big screen, live action, franchise rest for a bit until the right person comes along to reboot it properly like Nolan did for Batman.

Instead I'd love to see them do a series of really good animated direct to DVD/BR movies. Powder's suggestion of Turtles in Time would be a great place to start. I'd be happy with CG or 2D animation (if we could get Imagi quality I'd definitely say CG but not sure if we could get that quality on a DTV due to costs).

I'd love them to do what DC used to as well - 80 minute main feature and a short. In an ideal world I'd love the shorts to be 20 minute Mirage adaptations in 2D black & white but I think shorts like the recent Nick ones would be more likely and that could be just as fun. Maybe 2-3 of those 5 minute shorts with each film? That could be a lot of fun and really show off different aspects of the franchise and characters.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 10:36 PM   #22
WebLurker
Hench Mutant
 
WebLurker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 337
I'm going to animated, provisionally.

I'd like the current series to have a chance to continue, which means live action.

However, I think that TMNT (and the cartoons) showed that the Turtles work best in animation. They integrate into the world far better and look the most like they belong in the same world as April, Casey, and the rest. The battles and stunts can be exaggerated far more than can be plausibly done in live action. I think that all the animated Turtles in the franchise emote far better than the rubber suit/CGI ones (which, paradoxically, makes them seem more real). Also, I love animation, in some ways more than live action.

So, animation, but I do want the current live action series to continue.
__________________
"Einstein did his best stuff when he was working as a patent clerk!" - Dr. Peter Venkman, Ghostbusters
WebLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 11:43 AM   #23
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist
 
Panda_Kahn_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,375
Why not have a movie that is both?

I often thought of a neat way to do a movie version of the krang war. Have the parts on earth be live action and 2-d, and have the parts in dimension X be just CGI animation and 3-d. It would giver dimension X a different 'feel' from earth, and save on the budget with the fantastical creatures and aliens (rock soldiers, triceritons, etc.) The turtles would be the only CGI creations who would be rendered realistic on earth, and Zak, Dask, and Kala would be live actors in makeup in the live action segments, and Fugitoid would be 'Chet' on earth with an actor, then CGI fugitoid in the stylized animated world of dimension X
__________________
My TMNT fanfic: http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=58737

IDW is the best version of TMNT

If they make a TMNT reboot movie retelling the shredder battle/origin, I won't buy a ticket.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 08:42 AM   #24
pferreira
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,087
The next film should be live action. We've seen the response to the 2007 movie and it didn't do very well compared to the live action ones.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 11:48 AM   #25
neatoman
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 4,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
The next film should be live action. We've seen the response to the 2007 movie and it didn't do very well compared to the live action ones.
I seriously doubt the problem simply amounted to it being animated, plenty of animated movies are huge successes. I guess the problem could have been marketing, though I'm not sure about that since I can't remember the marketing. Another problem could be that it just looked really cheap, which of course it was so I kind of doubt it was intended to make a lot of money in the first place.

... Actually, let's see how well it did proportionally to OotS:
TMNT, Budget $34 million, International gross $95 Million.
OotS, Budget $135 million, International gross $245 Million

This means TMNT earned 2.81 times it's budget and OotS earned 1.81 times it's budget. So since TMNT went above the 2.50 line and OotS didn't, that means TMNT probably broke even while OotS undeniably tanked. Numbers are fun, aren't they?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTH View Post
Turtles is basically the red-headed stepchild of Nick.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 12:08 PM   #26
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 11,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
I seriously doubt the problem simply amounted to it being animated, plenty of animated movies are huge successes. I guess the problem could have been marketing, though I'm not sure about that since I can't remember the marketing. Another problem could be that it just looked really cheap, which of course it was so I kind of doubt it was intended to make a lot of money in the first place.

... Actually, let's see how well it did proportionally to OotS:
TMNT, Budget $34 million, International gross $95 Million.
OotS, Budget $135 million, International gross $245 Million

This means TMNT earned 2.81 times it's budget and OotS earned 1.81 times it's budget. So since TMNT went above the 2.50 line and OotS didn't, that means TMNT probably broke even while OotS undeniably tanked. Numbers are fun, aren't they?
And I'm pretty sure TMNT 2007's marketing budget was maybe 5-10% of what OotS's was.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 12:10 PM   #27
neatoman
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 4,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
And I'm pretty sure TMNT 2007's marketing budget was maybe 5-10% of what OotS's was.
Oh, so it most definitely was a proptionally bigger hit than OotS then.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTH View Post
Turtles is basically the red-headed stepchild of Nick.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 12:13 PM   #28
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 11,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Oh, so it most definitely was a proptionally bigger hit than OotS then.
I definitely wouldn't call TMNT 2007 a "hit" but it landed a little bit north of breaking even, while OotS is deep in the toilet on losses.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 12:17 PM   #29
neatoman
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 4,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I definitely wouldn't call TMNT 2007 a "hit" but it landed a little bit north of breaking even, while OotS is deep in the toilet on losses.
"Hit" was probably the wrong word, maybe I should have said that it "at least it didn't lose money"?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTH View Post
Turtles is basically the red-headed stepchild of Nick.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 12:22 PM   #30
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 11,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
"Hit" was probably the wrong word, maybe I should have said that it "at least it didn't lose money"?
Right.

Here is TMNT 2007:


Here is OotS:
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 09:14 AM   #31
pferreira
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post

This means TMNT earned 2.81 times it's budget and OotS earned 1.81 times it's budget. So since TMNT went above the 2.50 line and OotS didn't, that means TMNT probably broke even while OotS undeniably tanked. Numbers are fun, aren't they?
Numbers are fun but Out of the Shadows by the figures you're giving would still make it a profitable movie plus an animated film of course is going to cost less than a live action blockbuster so no it didn't tank.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 12:49 PM   #32
neatoman
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 4,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
Numbers are fun but Out of the Shadows by the figures you're giving would still make it a profitable movie plus an animated film of course is going to cost less than a live action blockbuster so no it didn't tank.
It needed to make 2.5 times the budget in order to break even, but it only made 1.8 times the budget, it was not considered profitable by the studio that made it. Let's for a moment pretend the marketing budget does not factor in, they might technically have made money but they spent 135 million dollars to make 110 million dollars. That may sound like a lot to you or me but they still spent a fortune for a smaller fortune, it's not really worth it in their eyes. Not to mention that we didn't factor in the marketing budget (hence that extra 0.5 in 2.5), so the total gain was probably closer to 45 million than 110 million.

Basically, if you give some guy a dollar and you get back a dollar and fifty cent, would you be happy if he originally told you you'd get at least three dollars back and probably more? Yeah, you technically still earned money but it's so little you could easily have made a better investment.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTH View Post
Turtles is basically the red-headed stepchild of Nick.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 12:56 PM   #33
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 11,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
It needed to make 2.5 times the budget in order to break even, but it only made 1.8 times the budget, it was not considered profitable by the studio that made it. Let's for a moment pretend the marketing budget does not factor in, they might technically have made money but they spent 135 million dollars to make 110 million dollars. That may sound like a lot to you or me but they still spent a fortune for a smaller fortune, it's not really worth it in their eyes. Not to mention that we didn't factor in the marketing budget (hence that extra 0.5 in 2.5), so the total gain was probably closer to 45 million than 110 million.
There was no gain with OotS. The "gain" was something like -60 million the last time I ran the numbers.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 02:52 PM   #34
Vicky82
Foot Elite
 
Vicky82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Dunstable, UK
Posts: 4,979
I not bothered on what we get next as long it's got a really good story and darker tone.
__________________
My heart!!!! One of my favourite moments.

Vicky82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 04:45 AM   #35
Myko
Thug
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 67
I feel like we need another good live action movie, haven't had one since 1990.
Myko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 08:48 AM   #36
pferreira
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myko View Post
I feel like we need another good live action movie, haven't had one since 1990.
Not for a lack of trying it must be said.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 11:39 AM   #37
neatoman
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 4,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
Not for a lack of trying it must be said.
Are you seriously saying the Platinum Dunes crew were "trying"?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTH View Post
Turtles is basically the red-headed stepchild of Nick.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 01:39 PM   #38
WebLurker
Hench Mutant
 
WebLurker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Are you seriously saying the Platinum Dunes crew were "trying"?
I think it's fair to say they were. The first movie did have a troubled production and I think the final product suffered because of that.
__________________
"Einstein did his best stuff when he was working as a patent clerk!" - Dr. Peter Venkman, Ghostbusters
WebLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 12:06 PM   #39
pferreira
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Are you seriously saying the Platinum Dunes crew were "trying"?
Yes they were, even Kevin Eastman was in control of the conception of the 2014 movie. They were trying.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 12:08 PM   #40
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 11,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
Yes they were, even Kevin Eastman was in control of the conception of the 2014 movie.
lol, you're joking, right?
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
michael bay

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.