The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 07-18-2018, 05:57 PM   #141
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Cuz they keep rebooting it wrong.

Plus on the content of boobs since people keep bringing it up, She-Ra didn't even have huge boobs. She just had a normal adult woman's chest cause very very few women of her height and build are 100% flat chested.

I swear boobs scare SJWs.
I've noticed this with Marvel's recent portrayals of She-Hulk and Captain Marvel in particular.

From the icy depths of 4Chan, here is a revised design of She-Ra in the new show's style. I guarantee the complaints would not be as vocal if the character looked like this:

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 06:14 PM   #142
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Quote:
Cuz they keep rebooting it wrong.

Plus on the content of boobs since people keep bringing it up, She-Ra didn't even have huge boobs. She just had a normal adult woman's chest cause very very few women of her height and build are 100% flat chested.

But this She-Ra is younger so it made sense that she’s doesn’t have fully developed boobs.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 06:17 PM   #143
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Wasn't she already 16 to begin with even in the original show?
Old 07-18-2018, 08:08 PM   #144
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Considering she was Adam's twin and he was 20-ish, I'd say no.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 09:35 PM   #145
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Sonny Straight, Funimation voice actor (Krillin, Maes Hughes) confirmed She-Ra will be 14 this time around.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 09:36 PM   #146
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Considering she was Adam's twin and he was 20-ish, I'd say no.
They never went into ages on the show, but they were young adults.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 11:46 PM   #147
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
better not show them stuff like this then.
https://scontent.fewr1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...f0&oe=5BD67127

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 11:47 PM   #148
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Sonny Straight, Funimation voice actor (Krillin, Maes Hughes) confirmed She-Ra will be 14 this time around.
I thought it was confirmed on twitter by show staff she was supposed to be 22?
this to me sounds like course correction for art comments.

in the original they where at least that age.

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 02:47 AM   #149
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PApagreg View Post
Okay I said "Are you saying female Heroines can't be mutants or ugly" which would imply a question, for someone who spouts out "Context" I don't think you know what the word means.
I've spent two posts to explain why I have answered like I did and you still didn't get it.

Quote:
Most people who finished middle school would call that "Quoting" hence the Quotation marks, you know I beginning to think you use words you don't know just to make yourself sound smarter
I've pointed out that you are literally parroting my points and now you full of indignant displeasure about that I've pointed it out.
Cool. What else can I say? Do you always argue when people pointing out your actions? Like if you go to the shop, do you lecture manager when they say that you've taken milk from the shelf or something?

Quote:
You said "If some idiots criticize character because she is not sexy enough, it doesn't mean that absolutely all criticism about her design or story is automatically invalid.", so how is me saying "We literally know nothing about the story so there isn't anything to criticize" taking this literally.
I've meant that if her story will be criticized it doesn't make all critics sexists.
I've provided an idea how this situation can (and most likely will) develop in the future. What is so hard to understand about it?
Do you need me to literally explain every single point I make in the tiniest detail to figure out what do I mean?

My English might not be the best, but at this point I think the problem is with something else.

Quote:
To be fair that was a perfect description.
Do you always have a penchant to answer rhetorical questions?

Quote:
Its not really "sacrificing everything" sure the made She Ra a bit bulky but she does have similar clothing to her original counterpart. They took the basis of She Ra and made their own spin into it which I would say had some creativity to it.
They have turned grown up woman into teenager.
Such creativity.
For your literal mind I'll explain: it's not about clothes. It's about concept.

Quote:
Okay how about Gamora, Carol from OK KO, Princess Bubblegum, Susan Strong, Mantis, The Crystal Gems, Captain Marvel, The Wasp, Beakley from the new Ducktales, Ranger Tabes, Princess Allura from the new Voltron show, and some of the cast from MLP FIP.
Most of those examples look like an abstract designs and it's hard to figure out their age by looking at them.
But at least now I know that you like cartoons.

And I don't think ponies are valid to anything.

Quote:
So, you use She Ra as an example for "Mature Female Characters" and that show only lasted for 2 years
I've never said that She-Ra is a modern example.
That takes us back to the "literal mind" thing.

Quote:
Nicole Watterson has more character in her than pretty much all the cast from She Ra
Doesn't make her look less like a LSD trip glitch.

Quote:
There are, I just listed them also how many positive kid/teen characters were there in the 80s
Please, into English translate it.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 04:34 AM   #150
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
I've noticed this with Marvel's recent portrayals of She-Hulk and Captain Marvel in particular.

From the icy depths of 4Chan, here is a revised design of She-Ra in the new show's style. I guarantee the complaints would not be as vocal if the character looked like this:

Of course that's a 4chan redesign. Fun fact, when I wrote She-Ra's skirt was so short it had to defy gravity to not show her panties. That was a deliberate decision by the animators, there would be no panty shots of She-Ra in the original show.

And here we see it, I'm genuinely surprised the creeps didn't give her a camel toe to go with her bustier corset

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
This thread is already too political but why is She-Ra's friend fat? Isn't she supposed to be a warrior too? How does that make sense?
Who is fat? Are there new images cause I did not see any fat characters...

Or are you referring to Glimmer? Cause she does not look fat, she looks built like a wrestler or strongman type fighter.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 07:20 AM   #151
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

The muscle popping bodybuilder is not as strong as the barrel-chested World's Strongest Man competitor.
The former is all bark, the latter is all bite.

All one has to do is Google American Olympic Female Weightlifter.

But please, continue to tell us how exactly it is that the character designs for this new show are displeasing to you for reasons that don't involve your boner.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 09:17 AM   #152
AT-Man
I SEEN IT

I don't like the biker shorts + skirt, one or the other would be better. That 4chan drawing is hella good. I don't have problem with She-Ra being 16 or whatever, but I think all the other portrayals of her and He-Man have been adults in their 30s.

Through the Golden Door
AT-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 09:36 AM   #153
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by AT-Man View Post
I don't have problem with She-Ra being 16 or whatever, but I think all the other portrayals of her and He-Man have been adults in their 30s.
Something I've been thinking about regarding OG She-Ra's generation of cartoons vs the 2010s:

He-Man, She-Ra, Duke and Scarlett from G.I. Joe, the Real Ghostbusters, the Superfriends, Optimus Prime, even the Fred Wolf TMNT--characters like these were older role models who kids were supposed to want to grow into, right? I think the same is also true of the 1990s DCAU portrayals of Batman and Superman.

More recently, with cartoons like the 2003 Teen Titans, Avatar/Korra, Adventure Time, Ben 10, Miraculous Ladybug, Mysticons, and the new, seemingly younger She-Ra, the focus seems to be the youthful relatability of the characters. Instead of being akin to a trustworthy teacher or big brother/sister, these cartoon heroes are like surrogate playmates/peers for the kids and teens who watch their adventures.

Quote:
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:01 AM   #154
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
Something I've been thinking about regarding OG She-Ra's generation of cartoons vs the 2010s:

He-Man, She-Ra, Duke and Scarlett from G.I. Joe, the Real Ghostbusters, the Superfriends, Optimus Prime, even the Fred Wolf TMNT--characters like these were older role models who kids were supposed to want to grow into, right? I think the same is also true of the 1990s DCAU portrayals of Batman and Superman.

More recently, with cartoons like the 2003 Teen Titans, Avatar/Korra, Adventure Time, Ben 10, Miraculous Ladybug, Mysticons, and the new, seemingly younger She-Ra, the focus seems to be the youthful relatability of the characters. Instead of being akin to a trustworthy teacher or big brother/sister, these cartoon heroes are like surrogate playmates/peers for the kids and teens who watch their adventures.
Also nowadays most kid cartoons are focusing on character arcs and development which while not impossible, hard to do with a Y7/PG rating. Hence why Bojack Horseman, Castlevania, Lastman and Aggretsuko are either Tv14 or MA
PApagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:48 AM   #155
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

Quote:
Also nowadays most kid cartoons are focusing on character arcs and development which while not impossible, hard to do with a Y7/PG rating. Hence why Bojack Horseman, Castlevania, Lastman and Aggretsuko are either Tv14 or MA
Yeah, there's not a lot of "all ages" animated content these days.

This She-Ra parody is definitely for adults.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 07-19-2018, 11:33 AM   #156
Allio
Foot Elite

Now I think for She-ra I feel like it would be better had She-ra's transformation had been more adult. Like her normal self being 14 and her transformed self being in her 20's

I always liked that about the reboot He-man where he changed as he did. At least that way there was no way anyone would recognize him.

Granted features wise it is still pretty different between She-ra and her normal self.
Old 07-19-2018, 12:12 PM   #157
plastroncafe

It's my understanding that this was the original concept for He-Man, which was basically a high fantasy on Shazam.
Quote:
Quote:
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
Old 07-19-2018, 12:18 PM   #158
BabyTurtles
Foot Elite

As a women myself...I don't really care for the redesign.....

The outfit doesn't look that well put together to me....I get the biker shorts, but I feel they could have tied in everything a little better....?

I also would have liked her to look more feminine....but mostly cause I feel it's more fun seeing feminine girls with super strength~ It's like.." I'm a girly girl but I can lift this mountain and still look fabulous~"

Kinda like Allura from the new Volrton~ She has some noticeable super strength (and can kick butt) but here she is rocking a cute pink outfit and letting mice braid her hair~ (Super glad they didn't change her pink colors in the reboot)

but that's my opinion~

If she looked like Princess Amethyst from the DC short that would have been fun~ ( at least for me)
Old 07-19-2018, 12:58 PM   #159
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Saying the person is attracted to a cartoon doesn't make it true or a valid argument. I have standards (Shampoo anime waifu plz!) I'm glad women are going against these designs as wells as that narrative doesn't work anymore. I keep an open mind with designs and like interesting takes, Rise looks terrible but I'm willing to give it a chance and see what good can come from all these different takes. There's no need for identity politics in kids cartoons, this show should be for little girls to like it not for some He-Man fans or zealots. The style looks fine but the character designs are all in your face with their political views.

So glitter is supposed to be a wrestlers/strong(wo)man? I'm going to bet she won't be doing much lifting or flipping stuff in Eternia to warrant that body type. Normalizing unhealthy habits is not good, if she never fights then I guess it's fine to have an overweight character. I'll eat my words if her role in the show fits her body type though.

She-ra I actually read some very good discussions on /co/, where that fan art came from and it's very easy to single out the worst part of her design and it's that one line in her hair that makes it seem like she has a buzz cut. Even an edit giving her shoulder length hair makes her look more like a woman because of that. The other manly features aren't a problem when you see she has long hair since it's easy to tell it's a girl. Her arms look horrible, they don't look "strong" like say Korra's so I don't even know what they did with those arms. Who cares if she's flat chested, though nothing wrong with boobs, why are defenders sexualizing boobs? The shorts look awful, gravity defying skirts would've been better, there's also concept art from the show where she's wearing red leggings and that looks far better.

Some poor choices were made for personal beliefs but the overall style of the show looks good. It's likely the best shot the He-Man franchise has had at a revival as well even if he appears as He-Boy in this show. And this show will ultimately be for little girls and I hope it's good for them. I think it's important for them to have a show where they can see they can kick ass without stereotypes in either side of the coin but we'll see.
sdp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 01:11 PM   #160
plastroncafe

I guess I just fail to see how one fat character has an agenda, and an entire show of thin people is devoid of one.

But then, I'm the one who grew up with these cartoons, and who internalized the messages they were selling to the point where I became for many years that followed I was a raging misogynist. I hated pink, rejected everything girly, and surrounded myself with a social group consisting of boys. Which was great, so long as I agreed with them that girls were stupid, petty, and worth less.

So you can try to pass off the idea that this is the version that's steeped in identity politics, but they were there in the original one too.
https://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/tv-shows/She-Ra/\
The women all have very similar faces, wear make up and with a few notable exceptions have the exact same body proportion.

The character designs on the new one aren't for everyone.
And that's fine, but if one's objections to them are due to the fact that the character doesn't look 'female' enough for you...I have to question if that's a problem with the art or the person viewing the art.
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by plastroncafe; 07-19-2018 at 01:21 PM.

Tags
i like agendas, she-nah, where's loo-kee?