The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2019, 05:21 PM   #641
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Well....2 out of 3 ain't bad...

I mean to say, she was far from likeable. It was an ok movie, but Carol was not likable at all.
Well, "likable" compared to the comic book version at least but it's kind of hard to make a less likable character than one who wants to throw innocent children in prison...
Spoiler:

Though at least an unlikable trait is still one that invokes emotion, so that still makes comic Carol a better character.
Hahahaha!
Old 03-17-2019, 08:48 AM   #642
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Well, "likable" compared to the comic book version at least but it's kind of hard to make a less likable character than one who wants to throw innocent children in prison...

Though at least an unlikable trait is still one that invokes emotion, so that still makes comic Carol a better character.

Wow, talk about taking something out of context. There is clearly more to that scene than is shown, but her doing her job- while clearly also not liking the fact that it is "necessary" to arrest a teenager- hardly qualifies as "unlikable". He's a powered individual who may or may not have done something warranting his arrest. Heck, TONY tried to arrest Peter himself for not complying with the SHRA in Civil War! When he knew damn well what the consequenses would be to both Peter and his family for first outing him, then making him into a fugitive after he realized his mistake in backing Tony and the SHRA. In truth, I find Tony's reaction to her arresting Miles FAR more unlikable here, as it shows what a hypocrite he is.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
Old 03-17-2019, 01:22 PM   #643
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Or....you know....he learned from past mistakes.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Old 03-17-2019, 05:35 PM   #644
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
You do realize this is Tony frigging Stark we are talking about, right? You know, massive ego to go with his enormous bankroll and IQ?

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
Old 03-17-2019, 06:45 PM   #645
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
"Anyone who says things I don't want to hear is either a troll or a Nazi. Only people I happen to agree with could ever possibly speak the truth."

People are so f*cking precious.
I find this argument hilarious given the kind of crap we're supposed to buy from the other side.

I mean we were supposed to believe every professional critic was paid off by Disney to give positive reviews of Marvel movies but now we're expected to also believe that this particular movie's financial success is all one elaborate hoax and Disney have infiltrated every organisation that tracks box office to disguise that the movie is playing to empty theaters.

We're at flat earth territory and it's born out of insecure need from people to refuse to accept anything they don't like as being successful or popular. These same people also think CBS is lying about Star Trek: Discovery's ratings and throwing money at a third season, improved budget and a direct spin off to a promote a PC agenda...because that's what corporations do.

While there's plenty of idiots that are stupid enough to believe things like this I find it hard to think the original sources really believe this and just made it up to make trouble for a project they politically disagree with so yes I would call that trolling. (Remember the white people who were supposedly being beaten up Black Panther screenings) The fact that on balance you're likely to find many of them have connections to legit neo nazis shouldn't just be dismissed either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgon78 View Post
Why in the world did they not start with an already established female character as a solo outing instead of one of the most unpopular Marvel characters is beyond me.
Why? Marvel have a track record of making a success out of new characters and clearly Captain Marvel is no exception.

Carol Danvers has retained a loyal cult following since her original series.

Her original Captain Marvel series had pretty good sales as does her current relaunch. I imagine the character has picked up more than a few fans due to the movie.

Quote:

You're taking a shock cliff hanger very literal here. If I remember correctly the opening of the very next issue had Carol say she wouldn't arrest Miles if he would agree to come with her willingly.

I've always maintained that the first comic Civil War (a not very good story) did wonders for Iron Man. He's pretty much the villain of the story but it gave him a much bigger spotlight than the character ever had, catapulted him to the top tier character that people cared about. There was no shortage of people saying stuff like "sure his methods were bad but his motivation was good" etc.

I've always found it strange that Civil War II (also not a very good story) didn't do the same for Carol. She didn't do anything anywhere near as bad a Stark did in the first crossover and her motivations are just as valid. Even the example you give isn't exactly some irredeemable crime I mean law enforcement in real life take people into custody or arrest them on suspicion they will commit a crime and in the context of the story at that point there was solid evidence Miles was going to do something pretty bad.

I imagine readers who might have sided with Carol on this (like people who sided with Tony during the first Civil War) were put off by...shall we say superficial things.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:43 PM   #646
Xav
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
While there's plenty of idiots that are stupid enough to believe things like this I find it hard to think the original sources really believe this and just made it up to make trouble for a project they politically disagree with so yes I would call that trolling.
So you really think Empire magazine just made up a Kevin Feige quote because they are secretly right-wing trolls?
Old 03-17-2019, 07:56 PM   #647
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xav View Post
So you really think Empire magazine just made up a Kevin Feige quote because they are secretly right-wing trolls?
Gonna need more on this.

If it's the quote from the video linked earlier about how Feige is an 'SJW' I don't know what that has to do with anything, Feige is describing a minor plot point from the movie. What does that to do with the weird conspiracy theories about Disney buying what is likely to be a billion dollars worth of tickets in every country to Captain Marvel to hide that it's playing to empty theaters?

If that's not what you're referring to then you're gonna have to help me out because I'm at a loss.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:35 AM   #648
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
I have seen all the Phase 3 movies so might as well see this one. I like Nick Fury and I hear the cat is cool
I changed my mind again I just have no wanting to spend 2 hours watching an average movie and watching Brie "sourpuss" Larson for that long
Old 03-19-2019, 10:46 AM   #649
joe-eyeball
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
I changed my mind again I just have no wanting to spend 2 hours watching an average movie and watching Brie "sourpuss" Larson for that long
I’m jealous! They already got my money from two tickets and that sucks! Bravo to you👏
Old 03-19-2019, 11:37 AM   #650
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

This is a little bit illuminating:

https://www.thelist.com/52300/stunni...on-brie-larson

So she was home-schooled, never missed the high school experience, and feels an obligation to activism.

2005 Brie Larson: "The one that really bugs me is that I'm told I'm too smart to make it in this industry." "For me, I would love to have a stamp. I know it's a weird answer, but I was at the post office and saw all the people who had stamps: Elvis Presley and Mother Theresa. Everyone changed the world in some way through music, movies, or even charity. I think it would be awesome to have a stamp because you know you did something to change the world and change people's opinion or mind." "I guess I was always an outsider and some kind of anarchist."

Yikes!
Old 03-19-2019, 12:05 PM   #651
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post

So she was home-schooled, never missed the high school experience, and feels an obligation to activism.

2005 Brie Larson: "The one that really bugs me is that I'm told I'm too smart to make it in this industry." "For me, I would love to have a stamp. I know it's a weird answer, but I was at the post office and saw all the people who had stamps: Elvis Presley and Mother Theresa. Everyone changed the world in some way through music, movies, or even charity. I think it would be awesome to have a stamp because you know you did something to change the world and change people's opinion or mind." "I guess I was always an outsider and some kind of anarchist."

Yikes!
Wow. Weird.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:38 PM   #652
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post

Yikes!
... So this woman thinks A Wrinkle in Time flopped because too many critics weren't part of (what she thought was) it's target demographic, she responded to Stan Lee's death with what seemed like sarcasm and she thinks stamps are a mark of Mother Teresa's success...

I'm not going to go into detail about why movies actually flop, why it's a bad idea to semmingly disrespect the death of a man who wrote the source material for much of your presumed future work or why claiming stamps are a signifigant measurement of success is bizarre.

Suffice it to say... Maybe her character in the movie should have been alien after all? Because she sure as hell comes across as one in real life...
Hahahaha!
Old 03-19-2019, 02:39 PM   #653
joe-eyeball
Stone Warrior

So basically in her own words she is an anarchist but not very rebellious. OK!
Old 03-20-2019, 12:34 AM   #654
Xav
Foot Elite

Carol Danvers’ Co-Creator, Roy Thomas, Watches the Captain Marvel Movie
Old 03-20-2019, 05:23 AM   #655
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
... So this woman thinks A Wrinkle in Time flopped because too many critics weren't part of (what she thought was) it's target demographic, she responded to Stan Lee's death with what seemed like sarcasm and she thinks stamps are a mark of Mother Teresa's success...

I'm not going to go into detail about why movies actually flop, why it's a bad idea to semmingly disrespect the death of a man who wrote the source material for much of your presumed future work or why claiming stamps are a signifigant measurement of success is bizarre.

Suffice it to say... Maybe her character in the movie should have been alien after all? Because she sure as hell comes across as one in real life...
It's amazing how some of the fans of this movie react as well.

Well, I guess they got their feminist win..so they can be as nasty and goofy as they want.

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Old 03-20-2019, 06:38 AM   #656
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

It's awesome to see when creators can be transparent. It sounds like he isn't a sell out or an elitist, but very well grounded.
Old 03-20-2019, 06:51 AM   #657
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

( Just, please talk about the film, for the love of ... )

Last edited by Papenbrook; 03-20-2019 at 07:01 AM.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:50 AM   #658
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papenbrook View Post
This thread really isn't healthy for you. Like, at all. Not even a little bit.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:04 AM   #659
drgon78
Mad Scientist

The film itself isn't worth talking about, now everyone and everything going on around it is.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:42 AM   #660
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papenbrook View Post
Watching that movie is like eating a boiled potato while observing paint dry, it's dull and forgetable.

Now let's get back to what a weirdo Brie is.
Hahahaha!
Closed Thread