The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Current Events

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 05:40 PM   #501
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

I never liked Hardwick either he comes up as a stuck up dick wad.
Old 06-16-2018, 05:47 PM   #502
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
hardwick just looked like a phony, fake nerd. and more like a used car salesman/business man selling snake oil. I've always hated how he took something that was so personal to people and basically corporatized it and sucked its soul dry.
that, and I NEVER understood how he basically rose out of the gutter over night from basically nowhere, and then was suddenly EVERYWHERE, hob nobbing with the worlds biggest stars and getting some very rare guests on his podcast that didn't show up anywhere else, and then wasted the opportunity big time.... like rick moranis (where he talked more about himself than moranis, BTW).
I have always been relatively indifferent to him, but be realistic. If it wasn't him, it would have been someone else. The guy did not wake up & decide he would seek to be paid for making light of your special interests. He was given the position by executives & casting directors who found him to be charismatic, attractive, & somewhat in-touch with the media he would be a commentator of. This is how the television industry works, Vegita-San. What you may deem "real" fans or "true" geeks, however you wanna label it, they lack the qualities that make them relatable/charming to regular people. He's not there to impress you with his pop culture know-how, he's doing a job.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Old 06-16-2018, 06:48 PM   #503
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

I think this is one of those things where both of them could in fact be telling the truth. It's very possible that Hardwick does not see his behavior as abusive and controlling. We know he has a history of substance abuse, which says to me he's got control issues right off the bat.
And it is entirely possible for someone to be this self unawares.

I find the guy genial and for the most part inoffensive as a geek.
He's one of those people whose professional life I envy, but not to the point where I would be willing to do all of the glad handing and self selling that it would take to achieve what he has. I'm just not that kind of fan.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
Old 06-16-2018, 07:56 PM   #504
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

In all honesty, unfortunate occurrences such as these force me to realize that I can't really trust anyone involved within the entertainment industry.

I guess - I just have to hope it isn't them. That's ... all I can really do at this point.
Old 06-16-2018, 08:18 PM   #505
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
All of Hardwick's shows have been pulled and he will not be hosting panels at SDCC

http://www.digitalspy.com/showbiz/ne...chloe-dykstra/
Absurd. AMC should be ashamed of themselves for kowtowing to nothing.

The only part of her missive that seems fairly easy to investigate and actionable and couldn't be coming from a place of jilted revenge is Hardwick allegedly using his status to literally call places up, telling them not to hire her and then having them not hire her as a direct result (as opposed to, I dunno, places simply not wanting to hire her because she's not as qualified as other candidates). If that's true, fine, that's an abuse of power and no bueno. But I suspect she won't name what studio/company because it's potentially a FAKE thing.
Old 06-16-2018, 11:48 PM   #506
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papenbrook View Post
In all honesty, unfortunate occurrences such as these force me to realize that I can't really trust anyone involved within the entertainment industry.

I guess - I just have to hope it isn't them. That's ... all I can really do at this point.
Don't trust anyone. Not even yourself.
Not even your pets and fridge. Who knows what dark thoughts and deeds they do behind your back?
Old 06-16-2018, 11:49 PM   #507
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
Don't trust anyone. Not even yourself.
Not even your pets and fridge. Who knows what dark thoughts and deeds they do behind your back?
I have to report you now, Sumac. This is harassment, and I think you stared at my profile picture longer than 5 seconds. Not OK!

Old 06-17-2018, 06:29 AM   #508
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
I have always been relatively indifferent to him, but be realistic. If it wasn't him, it would have been someone else. The guy did not wake up & decide he would seek to be paid for making light of your special interests. He was given the position by executives & casting directors who found him to be charismatic, attractive, & somewhat in-touch with the media he would be a commentator of. This is how the television industry works, Vegita-San. What you may deem "real" fans or "true" geeks, however you wanna label it, they lack the qualities that make them relatable/charming to regular people. He's not there to impress you with his pop culture know-how, he's doing a job.
Understood. It was a market that was just dying to be tapped, and if it wasn't him, it would be some other tool doing the tapping.

doesn't mean i have to like it though! that's what gets us phony sites where people are more interested in making money and earning fame points than actually doing what you love and creating to create stuff simply for the joy of it!

It'll be interesting to see what Rob Paulsen does at this point. does he keep talking toons at nerdist, or does he split?

I never did like the association. It was such a great start up story and he did such a good job promoting and producing the show without anyone's help. not sure why he decided to make it more corporate simply for video opportunities. James Arnold Taylor does his obi wan kenobi podcast in video form without nerdist..and it's free too...

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Old 06-17-2018, 09:41 AM   #509
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

Turning her story into a scenario where he's the victim because he claims she was unfaithful is absurd. Oh, you're a future father - well that clears it up. What a terrible statement to make.

Has anything come out revealing who the person was that helped blackball her?
Old 06-17-2018, 12:51 PM   #510
plastroncafe

Not that I've seen, though the whisper I'm hearing the most of is Felicia Day
Quote:
Quote:
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
Old 06-17-2018, 01:07 PM   #511
Leo656
The Franchise

I think Andrew's my new favorite. F*ck the rest'a you's.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Old 06-17-2018, 01:22 PM   #512
Vegita-San
Emperor

I really hope all the b ig teir nerdist people arn't going to turn out to be jerks.

I don't want to dislike the new MST3K. although I DO find it REALLY odd and wonder WHY Joel went with pretty much an entire nerdist oriented cast when he's always went with unknowns before. rather unusual.

Old 06-18-2018, 01:56 AM   #513
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I think Andrew's my new favorite. F*ck the rest'a you's.
There's some good eggs around here. I even really like Plastron, but she seems to have decided I'm bad news.
Old 06-18-2018, 12:04 PM   #514
BartAllen
Banned

If she has all this damning evidence, she should just release it. Personally, if I was accused of those things, and didn't do them, I would sue the **** out of her.

The entire metoo movement reminds me of poor Brian Banks. The guy went to prison for 5 years because a woman said he raped her. The only reason he was released was because the 'victim' admitted to making up the alleged sexual assault so her mother wouldn't find out she was having sex.

Women are people, and people lie. They even lie about rape. They do it because they're vindictive and they know that we currently live in a climate that even the hint of sexual impropriety is a life ender.
Old 06-18-2018, 12:18 PM   #515
sdp
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by BartAllen View Post

The entire metoo movement reminds me of poor Brian Banks.

The thing is sexual harassment is a HUGE problem that people ignore, it happens everywhere and all the freaking time. All those pricks that you hated in high school do the same sh-t in their everyday lives making the lives of women usually horrible int he workplace. The worst part about this problem and the reason it doesn't get enough attention is because there's no real evidence that can be gotten and also because victims don't come forward and when they do nothing happens. It's really hard to see the problem if you're not a woman sadly.

Now I think the #metoo is horribly flawed, the "always believe them" is not a rule I can get behind on, it's prone to abuse and any abuse of it will only deter people from thinking it's a problem. The other problem is what is being defined as sexual harassment, that link Papenbrook posted seems a parody but things are getting there, no a hug or all looks are not sexual harassment, it's hard to define and by being so god damn stupid with how strict people are going for it's becoming the laughing stock and people will not take the issue seriously anymore. Also the punishment people are receiving is outragous, cancel the show and get them fired for a big offense? No problem. Public shaming and having companies avoid a certain person for PR reasons for what can be entailed as flirting? errr...not so much. That's only hurting the cause.

Don't let the current political climate make you believe it's not a problem, it is horrible and something must be done about it. Can't say I have any solutions but the dialog has to be there, it can't be ignored because of a few people abusing it and it for that same reason it can't have the consequences it currently is giving people accused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papenbrook View Post

Obviously most everyone in the entertainment industry has abused their power, you gotta learn to separate the art from the artist. If we really punished all the people who abuse their powers there would be no actors or people who make those happen to play their roles.

I find it silly how people react "I'm never watching ____" again, dude, most of the actors you love likely did very similar things, only difference is one got caught. Why should those who haven't be treated better?
Old 06-18-2018, 12:18 PM   #516
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BartAllen View Post
If she has all this damning evidence, she should just release it. Personally, if I was accused of those things, and didn't do them, I would sue the **** out of her.
Look at how careful she has gone about this. She avoids actually saying his name anywhere, the names of any companies or... really anything specific at all. All probably to avoid libel and defamation charges.
Old 06-18-2018, 01:12 PM   #517
plastroncafe

Here's more information on Brian Banks, should people be interested.

Was Football Star Brian Banks Wrongfully Convicted of Rape? (snopes)

Quote:
While Gibson fabricated her account of being assaulted, research shows that such instances are rare; a 2012 report by the National Sexual Violence Resource Center (NSVRC) found that while false reports make up between 2 and 10 percent of total rape reports, 63 percent of sexual assaults are not reported to authorities. NSVRC spokesperson Laura Palumbo told us this can create more issues for those who have been sexually assaulted:

The prevalence of false reporting of sexual violence is low, yet still when survivors come forward, many face scrutiny or encounter barriers. When the rare case of a false report is misrepresented as a common occurrence, this creates additional barriers for victims coming forward. Misconceptions about false reporting rates have direct, negative consequences and can contribute to why many victims don’t report sexual assaults.

Banks himself has voiced support for sexual assault survivors; in June 2016 he criticized the fact that Stanford University student Brock Turner only received a six-month sentence for rape:

I would say it’s a case of privilege. It seems like the judge based his decision on lifestyle. He’s lived such a good life and has never experienced anything serious in his life that would prepare him for prison. He was sheltered so much he wouldn’t be able to survive prison. What about the kid who has nothing, he struggles to eat, struggles to get a fair education? What about the kid who has no choice who he is born to and has drug-addicted parents or a non-parent household? Where is the consideration for them when they commit a crime?

In December 2017, he said that assault survivors seeking justice “should have the opportunity to do so.” He also said that had the statue of limitations not expired for Gibson’s perjury, he would have pressed charges against her:

Part of my life was taken away because of her. But more importantly, you have to go after people like this because a person such as herself makes it harder for a woman who is raped to come forward confidently and share their story and hope something is done about what happened to them. They should be able to expect to be believed.
This disbelief extends to men/male identified folks too.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-18-2018, 03:22 PM   #518
BartAllen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
The thing is sexual harassment is a HUGE problem that people ignore, it happens everywhere and all the freaking time. All those pricks that you hated in high school do the same sh-t in their everyday lives making the lives of women usually horrible int he workplace. The worst part about this problem and the reason it doesn't get enough attention is because there's no real evidence that can be gotten and also because victims don't come forward and when they do nothing happens. It's really hard to see the problem if you're not a woman sadly.

Now I think the #metoo is horribly flawed, the "always believe them" is not a rule I can get behind on, it's prone to abuse and any abuse of it will only deter people from thinking it's a problem. The other problem is what is being defined as sexual harassment, that link Papenbrook posted seems a parody but things are getting there, no a hug or all looks are not sexual harassment, it's hard to define and by being so god damn stupid with how strict people are going for it's becoming the laughing stock and people will not take the issue seriously anymore. Also the punishment people are receiving is outragous, cancel the show and get them fired for a big offense? No problem. Public shaming and having companies avoid a certain person for PR reasons for what can be entailed as flirting? errr...not so much. That's only hurting the cause.

Don't let the current political climate make you believe it's not a problem, it is horrible and something must be done about it. Can't say I have any solutions but the dialog has to be there, it can't be ignored because of a few people abusing it and it for that same reason it can't have the consequences it currently is giving people accused.

Obviously most everyone in the entertainment industry has abused their power, you gotta learn to separate the art from the artist. If we really punished all the people who abuse their powers there would be no actors or people who make those happen to play their roles.

I find it silly how people react "I'm never watching ____" again, dude, most of the actors you love likely did very similar things, only difference is one got caught. Why should those who haven't be treated better?
I absolutely know sexual harassment is happening in the world. In one of my previous jobs I heard my direct supervisor sexually harassing one of my female coworkers - He was rightfully fired for what he was doing. Sexual harassment and rape DOES happen. That said, the metoo movement feels like a witch hunt. Any woman that even makes a hint about a guy at this point can ruin a man's credibility and reputation. That's not helpful in the slightest and the repercussions are already being felt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
Here's more information on Brian Banks, should people be interested.

Was Football Star Brian Banks Wrongfully Convicted of Rape? (snopes)

This disbelief extends to men/male identified folks too.
Right, so 2 percent of all men in the country? Do you know how big a number that is? Try 3,250,000. That 2 percent looks a lot worse when you account for how many men are in this country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Look at how careful she has gone about this. She avoids actually saying his name anywhere, the names of any companies or... really anything specific at all. All probably to avoid libel and defamation charges.
I just don't understand why anyone would 'want to hold back evidence' to protect a rapist. She's doing this the way she is because she knows if her feet are truly held to the fire she'd probably be shown to be a liar.

Last edited by BartAllen; 06-18-2018 at 03:30 PM.
Old 06-18-2018, 03:31 PM   #519
Vegita-San
Emperor

the problem is, I doubt the false accusations would get as much press coverage. it doesn't invoke the same sense of outrage, therefore, less ratings.

there was even an ABC 7 news reporter that falsely accused someone of bad deeds. she got fired. this was long before the me too movement.

sad part is, when someone does this type of stuff and ruins someones career for revenge, it deludes the very thing the me too movement was started to rightfully cover and draw attention too.

and that hurts everyone.

Old 06-18-2018, 03:37 PM   #520
BartAllen
Banned

Quote:
the problem is, I doubt the false accusations would get as much press coverage. it doesn't invoke the same sense of outrage, therefore, less ratings.

there was even an ABC 7 news reporter that falsely accused someone of bad deeds. she got fired. this was long before the me too movement.

sad part is, when someone does this type of stuff and ruins someones career for revenge, it deludes the very thing the me too movement was started to rightfully cover and draw attention too.

and that hurts everyone.
Bingo, and right now, in today's climate, what's to stop a woman from doing just that. She's going to be automatically believed regardless of the evidence.

And to clarify: When it's proven that a man assaults a woman he should be permanently removed from society. Rape, in my view, is worse than murder. I just do not like the mentality behind the movement. It's far too dependent on the 'listen and believe' narrative that is so pervasive right now. People are vindictive and lie. Especially if they know that no one will question them lest they get labelled some kind of ist.
Closed Thread