The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 03:33 AM   #41
Voltron
Handsomest Boy in School

I didn't close this thread initially for a couple of reasons:

1. It seemed like nice news, and I was hoping there would be no controversy associated with it on the boards. As far as news goes, this is pretty bland.

2. We have a LGBTQ board members, and we do strive to be inclusive here. Strides towards civil rights should be celebrated, not derided. I believe civilized and sane people have had enough of the divisive bickering and mud slinging of bigots.

Equating homosexuality to incest is a false equivalency. There's plenty of things two consenting adults can't do to each other. One can't kill the other, for example. Expecting total anarchy to follow after two men get married is absurd.

What worries me more is the bizarre focus ON incest in the counter argument. It's worrying that someone is that adamant to have sex with their relatives and/or pets.

Now, I try not judge. However, if you've got the hots for Aunt Mom or Uncle Dad, there's a good chance that family services need to be called. May god have mercy on your brother son and sister daughter.
Old 05-30-2019, 04:03 AM   #42
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refractive Reflections View Post
Are we really going to get on a hypocritical moral high horse here? One form of marriage/relationship seems tolerable now in the West (when it wasn't and was seen as abhorrent 1-2 generations ago), while another is seen as just as repulsive today even if all parties are consenting?

I mean if people object to consenting adult incest relationships and polyamorous marriages, then I guess it reflects how closed-minded, and possibly racist they are too if the foundation of the gay marriage argument is: all in the marriage are consenting adults and "love is love". Because there are other cultures in the world, where that argument of marriage can apply as well with polygamy, polygyny, polyandry, and first cousin marriages.

Talk about double standards from those in the LGBT community and its advocates. I guess redefining marriage is only suitable, when it's for their idealized view, and not for any greater form of marriage equality. Congratulations on them for now being the same marital bigots that they criticized (criticizing those advocating only monogamous, heterosexual relationships) less than 5 years ago.

So it's time for this cartoon to reflect these other forms of love expression, and show the diversity of romantic relationships from other cultures!
It's your snidely post that warranted the gif, I have no issues with polygami and now that you specified what you mean with incest; first cousins are not usually considered incest.

As a legal term Incest means having sexual relation with a person too close to in family bond be it biological or adopted. So, it depends on the law. In Norway, first cousins marrying is not incest and I find it really weird that only 19(?) states in the US allows first cousins to marry. But sure, first cousins relationships being prohibited by law is hella weird and it's interesting to read what other courses ban it too.

And by the by, I've never met a single queer person that's against polygamy.

Last edited by Candy Kappa; 05-30-2019 at 04:09 AM.
Old 05-30-2019, 04:43 AM   #43
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

Gay Dromer checking in. I'm only pointing it out because I know how invisible we can seem in some areas of life... such as within a Ninja Turtles online fandom But there's plenty of us LGBT+ fans around if you were only made aware of it.

I've seen the wedding episode. I know there are people making comments like "well it's obvious such and such character was gay all along, so this isn't news/noteworthy/important" but I think it deserves more credit than that.

It's not enough to have characters the audience might guess are gay. If they are gay, have the courage to show it in some form. It can be as simple as a very innocuous and brief wedding scene like in this episode. What matters is showing gay characters and lives as ordinary and a part of every day life... which they are.

Honestly I think it was probably too underplayed for my liking, but in keeping things age-appropriate I think it was fine. My appreciation to the creative team behind Arthur.
Old 05-30-2019, 04:13 PM   #44
Allio
Foot Elite

Personally I don’t find this news worthy as Arthur isn’t new to being diverse.

I mean the show doesn’t treat it as a spectacle, it’s shown as the status quo which is what equality is.
Old 05-30-2019, 08:15 PM   #45
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

Ok but step back for a minute. We're talking about a rat! A rat who is bigger than an aardvark. How seriously do you want me to take this?
Old 05-30-2019, 08:54 PM   #46
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

They go by these animal rules

Old 05-30-2019, 11:07 PM   #47
Xav
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltron View Post
Equating homosexuality to incest is a false equivalency.
How so? Are they not both sexual acts considered to be unusual? It is completely appropriate to equate the two, much like it is appropriate to compare the two with pedophilia and heterosexuality. If you want to support one and not the other, then you definitely need to provide reasoning for that and no just say that it is a ' false equivalency'.

Last edited by Xav; 05-31-2019 at 01:15 PM.
Old 05-30-2019, 11:28 PM   #48
snake
Disgusting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xav View Post
How so? Are they not both sexual acts considered to be unusual?
Strap in, boys.
Old 05-31-2019, 02:01 AM   #49
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
much like it is appropriate to compare the two with pedophilia and heterosexuality.
Please do elaborate on how homosexuality is comparabel to raping underage children
Old 05-31-2019, 02:30 AM   #50
Xav
Foot Elite

They are both similar categories; they are both sexual deviancy/perversion.
Old 05-31-2019, 02:34 AM   #51
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Woof.

I hope you’re just anti-gay and not turns out you’re Gobo 2 Eletric Boogaloo with your "reasoning"
Old 05-31-2019, 02:48 AM   #52
Xav
Foot Elite

I'm not anti anything. I'm just stating facts. You can compare different types of sexual attractions. That doesn't necessary mean they are all equal or that you support them.

Last edited by Xav; 05-31-2019 at 03:07 AM.
Old 05-31-2019, 04:43 AM   #53
Voltron
Handsomest Boy in School

Quote:
I'm not anti anything. I'm just stating facts. You can compare different types of sexual attractions. That doesn't necessary mean they are all equal or that you support them.
Comparison and equation are not the same thing, Xav. .
Old 05-31-2019, 12:56 PM   #54
Xav
Foot Elite

I never said they were, and you still failed to answer the question.

Last edited by Xav; 06-01-2019 at 04:56 AM.
Old 06-01-2019, 08:46 AM   #55
Voltron
Handsomest Boy in School

You're so wrong that I wouldn't know where to begin, Xav.

On top of that, even if I DID do all the foot work to show my reasoning, I'm willing to bet you'd dismiss it outright.

Suffice to say:

1. A false equivalence is when two things share a similar trait, so someone argues that they're the same. Which you totally did when you said that it's appropriate to equate the two.

Here: I even looked up the definition for you to show that I'm right.

2. You then went on to use a flimsy comparison to equate the two. Both involve sex and considered unusual, ergo both are the same. That's like saying dogs and cats have four legs and tails, ergo they're the same.

3. After Candy Kappa called you out on it, you hastily retreated and said that they are similar, which does not mean equal. That suggests a comparison can be made, which is exactly what you did. You made a comparison and called them equal when they clearly are not.

One is two family members engaging in sex, often times with abuse and coercion involved. It leads to a number of genetic abnormalities in the offspring produced and psychological damage for the victims. And I say victims because, again, nature has demonstrated that this is unhealthy.

Another is between two consenting adults. Some people can consider it unusual, but public opinion doesn't stack up against hemophilia, clubfoot, and hapsburg jaw.

Here's the wikipedia page talking about how primates avoid inbreeding.

Here's the wikipedia page talking about how homosexuality has been
observed in all primates.

I mean, I don't want to embarrass you, but even monkeys know this.

Consider your question answered.

Now I'll throw the ball in your court, Xav. Please explain to us how homosexuality and incest are the same thing? After all, you can equate the two! Walk us through this minefield. I'm sure it'll be an enlightening experience.
Old 06-02-2019, 01:30 AM   #56
Xav
Foot Elite

Wikipedia is an organization/website that anyone can edit & change at their leisure.

Even you.

Nice FAIL. Moron.

Quote:
Now I'll throw the ball in your court, Xav. Please explain to us how homosexuality and incest are the same thing? After all, you can equate the two! Walk us through this minefield. I'm sure it'll be an enlightening experience.
Every argument used in favor of homosexuality can also be used in favor of incest. "They are all about love", "they don't do anything bad to you", "why should you care about what other people do", "it's very common in nature", "it existed forever". The demented kids problem is easily bypassed with sterilizing one or both partners so if your argument is gonna be "incest is wrong because demented kids are born from it", then you'll have to accept that if you eliminate the possibility of children being born, everything else is perfectly fine. When presented with this argument, every honest pro gay person had to conclude that incest is just as OK as homosexuality.

Last edited by Xav; 06-06-2019 at 02:19 AM.
Old 06-02-2019, 03:05 AM   #57
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

It's okay to be a motherlover, just don't **** your own mom.
Old 06-02-2019, 03:21 AM   #58
Turo602
The King of Kings

Quote:
Every argument used in favor of homosexuality can also be used in favor of incest. "They are all about love", "they don't do anything bad to you", "why should you care about what other people do", "it's very common in nature", "it existed forever". The demented kids problem is easily bypassed with sterilizing one or both partners so if your argument is gonna be "incest is wrong because demented kids are born from it", then you'll have to accept that if you eliminate the possibility of children being born, everything else is perfectly fine. When presented with this argument, every honest pro gay person had to conclude that incest is just as OK as homosexuality.
So you like incest? You'd be okay with your kids f*cking eachother? That's healthy to you? Or are you just saying stupid sh*t to dismiss gay people by equating it to incest because you can make similar arguments even though you can literally do that with anything?
Old 06-02-2019, 04:32 AM   #59
Voltron
Handsomest Boy in School

Quote:
Do you listen to yourself? You've taken two guys getting married in a children's cartoon and made it about forced sterilization. What the hell is wrong with you?

And the kids aren't demented. Dementia was not mentioned. Dementia is something totally different and wholly unrelated.

Also, I posted a link that shows it ISN'T COMMON IN NATURE.

I pointed out that we very often care about what other people do, and for good reason. We care about murder. We care about theft. We care about arson. We care about tons of things. Domestic abuse between a couple doesn't directly affect me, but I still don't like to see it happen.
Old 06-02-2019, 12:06 PM   #60
Xav
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turo602 View Post
So you like incest? You'd be okay with your kids f*cking eachother? That's healthy to you?
I don't have kids so that's irrelevant.
Quote:
Do you listen to yourself? You've taken two guys getting married in a children's cartoon and made it about forced sterilization. What the hell is wrong with you?
I'm not the one who brought up incest or inbreeding. I'm just offering a solution.
Closed Thread

Tags
cultural trends, gay, not political