The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 12-23-2018, 10:14 PM   #1
dragonside
Hench Mutant

Re-carding/Custom Cards

Hi Folks,

It's been a while since I've posted but I've finally hit a new slump in terms of my TMNT Collecting.

I have most of what I want, however, the main issue for me is whether to keep them on the card or would I prefer to have them outside the box and in a display case.

One of the options I have been looking into are to make some custom cards and to use some generic blister clam shells. I see myself shelling out a few hundre dollars to get a good number and also to get a decent printer & time to make them.

Alternatively, I could spend that money on loose figures to build a display.

Anyone have experience with either of these options and how did you feel about it?

I am edging towards putting my loose figures into custom cards... but my skills with photo editing are shoddy at best.

Cheers and Happy Holidays (Merry Christmas)
dragonside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 10:42 PM   #2
909 Turtle Fan
Hench Mutant

That’s a really good idea. Something different.
It’s popular with Star Wars stuff I think.
Also I remember a few years back, there was someone who did some nick figures on throwback cards and they looked really good.

"Breath in the smoke, Oroku Saki, and meditate. Open your mind and all will become clear."-Kitsune, SHotFC #3

"You know what, you're not Leonardo, you're a member of the foot clan. you are a foot clan member! you're not just a member, you're Danny! you're that punk b*tch Danny!"
-Adam, workaholics, teenage mutant ninja roommates
909 Turtle Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 10:25 AM   #3
dragonside
Hench Mutant

yeah re-carding star wars figures is pretty big, I found a lot of videos that basically do that.

I've been reorganizing my collection of carded figures. Slowly building a "history of the tmnt wall". Having each incarnation sort of sequentially and typically if they've shown up on screen/comic...

There are a few gaps which I have the loose figures for.

FW: The toon turtles, undercover turtles, and punk rock

Live action: Third movie

2K3: Mystic Fury (these are the ones I specifically want a re-card for)

I was also thinking of doing sort of a mega card for heroclix figures. As I don't play the game. I'd like to have them for display. For example, the IDW TMNT are on the set, and I'd put all four heroclix on one card with IDW Art on it.
dragonside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 10:40 AM   #4
inaheap
Mad Scientist

My experience is that most of the common figures can be found loose in the Wild. Especially the 80's -90's stuff; albeit often incomplete.

We do not stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing

When I became an adult I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.
inaheap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 11:57 AM   #5
IRMacGuyver
Mouser

Personally I was never a fan of recards or custom cards. I don't want to start or get into an argument about it. That's just my opinion. Too much of a slippery slope toward someone buying a custom card thinking it was a rare variant. I've seen a lot of comic shop and convention vendors that end up with recarded items priced at NRFB prices. Whether it was an honest mistake cause they didn't know or if they did it intentionally trying to scam a sucker doesn't really matter much to me in the end.

I would definitely go with the loose figures in a display. I was thinking of doing that myself using old fish tanks off craigslist. Already has light wiring and everything ready to go.
IRMacGuyver is offline   Reply With Quote