The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 12-12-2012, 06:41 PM   #81
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

Here's my review of TMNT #17 at TMNT Entity.

Alright, as a lifelong hater of the Neutrinos, I've gotta admit this was pretty great. Keeping the neo-pompadors and ridiculous outfits whilst simultaneously trying to portray them as badass commandos was just hilarious. And slipping in Zenter, Gizzla and Tribble was an obscure bit of fanwank, but not a distracting one either (the fanwank in IDW's Transformers comics can't say the same thing).

I do kinda hope we get an explanation as to how Dask and Zak survived getting shot in #14, though.

What I really loved were Ben Bates's pencils. Dude's really good. I was skeptical, as I'd only ever seen him on Sonic and Mega Man, both of which employ highly cartoony art styles, so I wasn't sure how his take on the TMNT would look. It's great stuff and he's shaping up to be my favorite of the three regulars the ongoing has had thus far. Loved the smug look on Karai's face and little touches like Stockman's reflection in Krang's cockpit window or Mikey goofing off while dodging lasers. And he gets basic fundamentals like perspective and scale better than either Duncan or Kuhn did when they first started.

I hope he sticks around.
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:49 PM   #82
CyberCubed
Overlord

I wonder how Tom Waltz knew about Zenter the Neutrino leader. Unlike Zak, Dask and Kala who appeared in Season 1 and then returned for many episodes, the Neutrino leaders were only ever in a single episode, and in early Season 4 to boot. They're very obscure.

Is Tom Waltz having a marathon of TMNT cartoon episodes over at the IDW offices at lunch break?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:56 PM   #83
TomWaltz
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpengler View Post
Here's my review of TMNT #17 at TMNT Entity.

Alright, as a lifelong hater of the Neutrinos, I've gotta admit this was pretty great. Keeping the neo-pompadors and ridiculous outfits whilst simultaneously trying to portray them as badass commandos was just hilarious. And slipping in Zenter, Gizzla and Tribble was an obscure bit of fanwank, but not a distracting one either (the fanwank in IDW's Transformers comics can't say the same thing).

I do kinda hope we get an explanation as to how Dask and Zak survived getting shot in #14, though.

What I really loved were Ben Bates's pencils. Dude's really good. I was skeptical, as I'd only ever seen him on Sonic and Mega Man, both of which employ highly cartoony art styles, so I wasn't sure how his take on the TMNT would look. It's great stuff and he's shaping up to be my favorite of the three regulars the ongoing has had thus far. Loved the smug look on Karai's face and little touches like Stockman's reflection in Krang's cockpit window or Mikey goofing off while dodging lasers. And he gets basic fundamentals like perspective and scale better than either Duncan or Kuhn did when they first started.

I hope he sticks around.
Nice review! For the record, however, that wasn't Zak and Dask killed in issue #14 -- just some other Neutrino Resistance Fighters with sweet haircuts.

Thanks!

Tom W.
TomWaltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:00 PM   #84
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomWaltz View Post
Nice review! For the record, however, that wasn't Zak and Dask killed in issue #14 -- just some other Neutrino Resistance Fighters with sweet haircuts.

Thanks!

Tom W.
I have obsessive-compulsively updated my Turtle Tips with this vital factoid. Thank you!
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:03 PM   #85
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I wonder how Tom Waltz knew about Zenter the Neutrino leader. Unlike Zak, Dask and Kala who appeared in Season 1 and then returned for many episodes, the Neutrino leaders were only ever in a single episode, and in early Season 4 to boot. They're very obscure.

Is Tom Waltz having a marathon of TMNT cartoon episodes over at the IDW offices at lunch break?
I likewise am curious as to just who alerted the IDW creative team to such obscure characters who only appeared in one mid-series episode of the old cartoon and in a few panels of the vintage Japanese Super Turtles #1 manga!

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:17 PM   #86
ToTheNines
[sic]

Ahhhhhhh, gotta love Ben Bates! Although, I have to agree with what Andrew said about Ronda being kind of flat... I think that hurt Kuhn's art a good bit. I was very high on her in the beginning, but Ronda isn't quite killing it like she was. The way she colored the glow of the moonlight was ace earlier in the run.

(Disclaimer: I can't draw or color worth a damn and really shouldn't talk crap on professional artists)

The story was pretty much all set-up for the rest of the arc, but it needed to happen. There were plenty of easter eggs and subtle moments to tide me over till next month though (plus Secret History will be here before long). I somehow loved the idea of Zak being a stoic bad-ass though lol, I'm really excited to see him in the next 3 issues.

The Shredder stuff was... interesting. Still don't see how Saki thinks this is gonna be a simple operation. Oh, and one bad thing I will say about Bates: I do not prefer his Karai to the two previous ongoing artists.

Anyways, this is the most excited I've been for this book since Summer, so I can't wait to see what 2013 has in store!
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:03 PM   #87
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
Yeesh -- rough crowd.

But, yeah, TMNT #17 -- gonna be awesome! Can't wait for y'all to see it! Neutrinos be packin' some serious heat -- you'll see. And what's that sneaky Karai up to...?

Talk soon...

Tom W.
Good job Tom, great work and please pass my thanks along to Ben Bates really loving his art.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
So Dask was not killed in #14? Maybe it was his look-alike twin. Its time to make something out these guys so its fine. Even King enter's name stuck! Glad to see he is no elvis impersontor!

Leo thinking he killed Slash because of his mistake I think will lead into Leo considering working for Shredder in Karai's place. That has to play into it though I have feeling something that happens in Dimension X will only seal the deal of his temporarily thinking it would be a good idea.
That is a good point, I am wondering how or what will persuade Leo.....
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:03 AM   #88
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
My bet is because Shredder's benefactor is Ch'rell... and Ch'rell and General Krang probably don't see eye to eye.
I don't think so. It's been hinted at that the only reason Shredder is going after what Krang has is because Chet came to the Foot Clan and told them what all was going on at Stockgen. I remember Krang scoffing at the use of the word "competitor" when Baxter used it in #6.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:12 AM   #89
FoxZerro
Stone Warrior

Great read, some really really great art. I loved the breathe that hung in the air during April and Chet's late night coffee date in the park. What was even better was the fact that only April had it, which makes complete sense considering Chet is a robot. It showed great attention to detail and the cold air breathe just looked amazing.

I'm also really glad that they just had the Turtles disappear and show up in Dimension X mid-battle. I was a bit nervous that Chet would reveal everything to April and then the Turtles would willingly go to assist. That would have gone against my favorite aspect of the Turtles, that they are just always in the wrong place at the wrong time, and I have to give my compliments to Mr. Waltz for being able to organically lead me one way and then still completely surprise me.

I still take issue with the whole "I want Leonardo as my second-in-command" storyline I'm sure it will be done in a cool and exciting way, but not as the groundwork is being laid it just doesn't interest me. Shredder just assuming that Leonardo will agree to be his second-in-command seems so out of character. I honestly can't think of an argument that would make him bail on his Brothers and Team Green and I think that's why Shredder's unwavering belief that he will get what he wants is throwing me off. Not only that but now it seems like they will be kidnapping him as a method of completing their goal and I don't see the value in having a great fighter on your side and leading your troops if they are brainwashed, doesn't that sort of defeat the purpose if you are superceding their thoughts and actions with your own.

Again I'm sure when it starts to pick up I will be able to live with it, but in the small snippets we've seen so far it just feels like an unwanted distraction from the action going on elsewhere

Anywho I am waiting in anticipation for issue 18 and love what Ben Bates has brought to the book. Knowing his work I was nervous that the Turtles might be cartoonesque, but instead he delivered the best looking turtles yet, they just look so badass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Seems like it. Just wish they were more up front about it from the start, as that kind of approach just isn't for me. Nothing inherently wrong with it, though.
I have to agree with this statement. It really felt like a bait and switch when you have the first four issues you have the turtles in all red bandana's and a pretty dark storyline to set the stage and then by issue 17 it seems like its only taking its cues from the OT. Its not that what they are doing is bad, I have really enjoyed a majority of the modifications they have made to some of the existing material in order to make them their own. Still when it started I felt like this would be more in line with the Mirage stories and now it's more like the Fred Wolf series and while I'm not necessarily upset by the shift I definitely understand why and how people would be.
FoxZerro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:31 PM   #90
Toby Barrett
Stone Warrior

The first four issues' storyline was no more dark than the other twelve issues and eight micros have been.
Toby Barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:54 PM   #91
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Barrett View Post
The first four issues' storyline was no more dark than the other twelve issues and eight micros have been.
yeah. the tone hasn't changed. it's not like their personalities changed the second they put on different colored headbands. I do wonder (since I haven't been able to get this comic) if the Turtles mention them now using knee pads and such all of a sudden, or if we just have to take it as a style choice and overlook it. I wonder if the next artist wlil use them.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:24 PM   #92
FoxZerro
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Barrett View Post
Having just reread the furst four issues, they were full of really graphic fight scenes, actually showed Casey getting beaten by his father instead of splash cut from him threatening Casey to Casey beaten to a pulp at the Antique shop, and there was a lot of just intense and heavy moments.

After rereading these issues after your statement I definitely think those four issues are much darker than the other 13 issues in the ongoing, but there have been micro series that were definitely on the same level of intensity as well as both of the Infestation 2 books.

Its so much that the storyline is dark, but the feel of the book is very Mirage, the hopelessness and the tone of the first four issues just feel like the original series, it made a lot of fans of the original comic books happy because it felt like we were going to be getting a book that was like the original. Then the mask switch came and with that switch came a switch in tone it became a lot lighter and started to rely more on nostalgia than on telling a new compelling story.

Do I hate that they did that? No, if I hated it I wouldn't rush out to buy each new issue when it comes out. However, I do think that the first four issues felt more in tune with the original mirage universe so seeing the book become so dependent on thoughts and ideas from the OT can be wonky at times. It is this wonkiness on which I as commenting on
FoxZerro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:53 PM   #93
Powder
So tired of this place

I agree with everything Tothenines said, short of his dislike for Bates' design of Karai (which I like more than the previous two). Solid issue, really great art style. The OT stuff is a bit overboard, but it's being done in the most likeable/tolerable way possible per my tastes, if that makes sense. I'm definitely interested and eager to see how things progress. Triceratons will definitely take the edge off, and i know they're coming.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:18 PM   #94
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Yeah, I agree the tone has been pretty consistent.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:23 PM   #95
Lampy
Stone Warrior

i honestly get what you're saying, FoxZerro. and to some extent i have to agree. but let's not forget that there are some scenes that aren't as light-hearted as you think. there's nothing light about four children getting decapitated in front of their father, or neutrinos getting wasted with one blast and chucked back into the portal like garbage, or splinter literally holding a sai to casey's dad's throat just to teach his son a lesson, or the hopelessness splinter felt when he was seconds from death at shredder's hands. hell... nothing light about Leonardo brooding over an accidental "kill". but i still think the tone is pretty consistent. i believe the grit is still there... all the OT stuff just distracts from it.

you have a point though. the mirage-ness was very distinct during the beginning of the series. maybe it was the duncan's crude art that eventually started fading with experience?
Lampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:24 PM   #96
Venom
Space Knight

Quote:

Thanks!

Tom W.
Aw Tom, you could've made them "important" by saying they were decoys so Krang would think those two were dead when the feces flings on the fan!
Old 12-13-2012, 09:45 PM   #97
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampy View Post
you have a point though. the mirage-ness was very distinct during the beginning of the series. maybe it was the duncan's crude art that eventually started fading with experience?
The Mirage-ness were that the Turtles were often depressed and struggling to hold together as a family, its a theme explored in City at War, Volume 2 and Volume 4. The search for Raph in the first 4 issues I guess was similar to that.

Otherwise its the same. I mean this series started off with the Turtles fighting a mutant cat of all things. That should have let you know right from the start it was going to be a nice mix of TMNT mythology.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:55 PM   #98
Lampy
Stone Warrior

I didnt say it wasnt a nice mix of tmnt's universes. I was merely saying that it felt very mirage in the first 4 issues as FoxZerro said. And I agree. They had to get the origin out of the way. The hopelessness they felt looking for raph without any leads was similar to the hopelessness they felt looking for splinter without a home in later issues. So its pretty consistent and duncan's early art reflected that hopelessness just fine. I never said it wasnt consisent.

Last edited by Lampy; 12-13-2012 at 10:01 PM.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:03 PM   #99
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
I agree with everything Tothenines said, short of his dislike for Bates' design of Karai (which I like more than the previous two).
Upon reading it again, I think his Karai is really cool. Still the "least attractive" of the IDW renditions, but who ever said Karai had to be good looking?

Also, I didn't really notice upon my first read through, but that last page of the story was just freakin awesome.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:13 PM   #100
Lampy
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
Upon reading it again, I think his Karai is really cool. Still the "least attractive" of the IDW renditions, but who ever said Karai had to be good looking?
the 2007 movie. she was very pretty.

Tags
comic discussion, idw