The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Was this a good approach?
Yes 23 71.88%
No 9 28.13%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-17-2017, 05:50 PM   #41
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I think it's more... Nick throws name recognition of characters out there as easter eggs to old ass fans who still watch children's cartoons and warps them into whatever (because they can... no 6 year old is going to say they got the Warrior Dragon all wrong)... while IDW goes for name recognition characters too, but does it more faithfully. Difference being, those old ass fans are IDW's bread and butter. No one below the age of 35 is picking up an IDW comic that doesn't already know who Metalhead is or whatever.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 06:03 PM   #42
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Mr. Ogg woulda made more sense than Wyrm. Just base him on a more modern comedian.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 06:12 PM   #43
CyberCubed
Overlord

I think it's more the fact that the Nick writers look at the Playmates toyline characters, moreso than the original cartoon or Archie characters. If you noticed it looked like they were going through a checklist of old playmates characters to bring back:

- Scumbug and Antrax both appear in the same ep together
- Wyrm appeared
- Pizza Face appeared although as an actual pizza
- Mona Lisa
- Punk Frogs
- Hot Head
- Metalhead
- Chrome Dome
- Rahzar and Tokka
- Baxter as a fly
- Mondo Gecko
- Wignnut/Screwloose
- Rat King
- Slash
- Leatherhead
- Mutagen Man
- Muckman
etc.

That being said I'm really surprised Man Ray never showed up in this show. Seemed like a no-brainer to me.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 06:30 PM   #44
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Perhaps the Nick team found him to be a little intimating. Man Ray can be a beast towards suits like them and doesn't like his kind being used for their names.
Spoiler:
Old 04-17-2017, 08:00 PM   #45
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
The way he was written, they might as well have used Cudley, Jagwar, Nano, Stump, Hallocat, Cherubae, Null, Dreadmon, Viral, Sh'Okanabo or Triple Threat and it would have made about as much sense.
Lol, good point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky82 View Post
If Baxter wasn't voiced by an expensive star, then maybe he would of been more focus on him.
Phil Lamarr is not particularly expensive. And he was in plenty of episodes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
(if Zeck didn't have a purple mohawk, would you ever have guessed he would turn out to be Bebop?)
Lol, hell no. And everyone would have hated him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Mr. Ogg woulda made more sense than Wyrm. Just base him on a more modern comedian.
Good call. I can't think of a modern comidian with a super distinct laugh like that, but imaging Louis CK or Nick Offerman as an omnipotent genie is pretty hilarious.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 10:26 PM   #46
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Does anyone here actually like Nick Hun?

He is one of the few characters I kinda dislike, due to how different he is from the 2003 Hun. When I hear Hun, I want to see a giant Brute who can give the turtles a beating yet is cunning and sadistic. Instead, I got a Bruce Lee knock off who barely has a presence. Im not against a Bruce Lee character if done well, just dont call him Hun.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 10:37 PM   #47
CyberCubed
Overlord

I don't like him much either, but he's barely in the episodes so it doesn't really matter. As far as I remember didn't he only have a role in about 3 episodes? His debut episode, one more episode when he and Casey fought again, and then a minor role in another?
Old 04-18-2017, 04:18 AM   #48
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
Does anyone here actually like Nick Hun?

He is one of the few characters I kinda dislike, due to how different he is from the 2003 Hun. When I hear Hun, I want to see a giant Brute who can give the turtles a beating yet is cunning and sadistic. Instead, I got a Bruce Lee knock off who barely has a presence. Im not against a Bruce Lee character if done well, just dont call him Hun.
There seemed to be a trend in the show to have characters use the likeness of real world actors. Bradford as Chuck Norris, The Hammer as Sylvester Stallone, Zeck as Michael Jackson, Ho Chan literally is James Hong and I'm sure Xever is based on some real person as well (just a little unsure who).

So Nick Hun is essentially "What if Bruce Lee was cast as Hun?". So he's no that different aside from what the natural consequences of casting Lee would have been. Though... Why they went with Bruce Lee rather than Bruce Willis or something, I don't know.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 04:49 AM   #49
ToTheNines
[sic]

Because the Nick Purple Dragons are a Chinese triad gang. So naturally, their leader is Chinese. Although, I do wish they'd mutated him or something into the mountain of a man we all know and love.
Old 04-18-2017, 04:52 AM   #50
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

I quite like Bruce Lee Hun, he got attitude just like the actor does in his movies, it's just too bad Hun in the show isn't a credible threat, cause his cockiness is less warranted when he gets whooped with ease.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 04:56 AM   #51
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

The way I see this is, they are basically just new characters, they just slap in the names of the old characters as an excuse to put on the show.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:19 AM   #52
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
The way I see this is, they are basically just new characters, they just slap in the names of the old characters as an excuse to put on the show.
Then all the 4kids and IDW and Archie characters are just new characters with old names.

Leatherhead was a human named Jess Harley in Archie, it's the only series where Leatherhead was a human instead of a normal alligator, and nobody cares. I'm willing to bet if Leatherhead was some human kid in Nick before being mutated, people would have complained.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:27 AM   #53
ToTheNines
[sic]

TC > cybercubed
Old 04-18-2017, 02:22 PM   #54
GoldMutant
Control Your Narrative

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
TC > cybercubed
Put em in a steel cage with Goku, the losers get banned, the winner gets locked.

I'm a little unsure on what is meant by "old characters". Do you mean characters who only appeared once in a specific TMNT generation that have returned for the first time in years? That I can answer.

On the one hand, it's nice to see them revamped for a younger generation such as Slash. It gives a lot of opportunity to play with the characters, either to remold them or advance the story.

On the other hand, it kind of makes the new characters barely stand out. Obvious example being when Bradford and Xever started out as themselves before becoming Dogpound and Fishface respectively. It differentiates the series from reusing Bebop and Rocksteady as the new henchmutants. However, then Dogpound becomes Rahzar and Bebop and Rocksteady get used beginning in the third season by mutating two new characters in Anton Zeck and Ivan Steranko. I'd rather see new characters balanced with old, but not causing the new to be overtaken.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:46 PM   #55
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldMutant View Post
Put em in a steel cage with Goku, the losers get banned, the winner gets locked.

I'm a little unsure on what is meant by "old characters". Do you mean characters who only appeared once in a specific TMNT generation that have returned for the first time in years? That I can answer.

On the one hand, it's nice to see them revamped for a younger generation such as Slash. It gives a lot of opportunity to play with the characters, either to remold them or advance the story.

On the other hand, it kind of makes the new characters barely stand out. Obvious example being when Bradford and Xever started out as themselves before becoming Dogpound and Fishface respectively. It differentiates the series from reusing Bebop and Rocksteady as the new henchmutants. However, then Dogpound becomes Rahzar and Bebop and Rocksteady get used beginning in the third season by mutating two new characters in Anton Zeck and Ivan Steranko. I'd rather see new characters balanced with old, but not causing the new to be overtaken.
Exactly, what was the point of making Chris and Xever the new henchmen if you were going to bring in Bebop and Rocksteady anyway? Why not bring them in from the start? It would be like TMNT 2 using Tokka and Rahzar and then part 3 using Bebop and Rocksteady. We'd be happy to finally see them in a movie, but we'd be asking ourselves why they even bothered with Tokka and Rahzar to begin with.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:53 PM   #56
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Exactly, what was the point of making Chris and Xever the new henchmen if you were going to bring in Bebop and Rocksteady anyway? Why not bring them in from the start?
Pretty obvious. Start with two newbies, since the new audiences won't care anyway. Sell their toys. Then build a couple seasons... then unveil... ZOMG, BEBOP AND ROCKSTEADY ARE COMING NEXT SEASON!!! The "old fans" freak out, the new fans shrug but are happy there's two new mutants. Then they sell new toys of B&R, not in competition with the first two sidekicks anymore.

And that's exactly the way it went down.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:54 PM   #57
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Exactly, what was the point of making Chris and Xever the new henchmen if you were going to bring in Bebop and Rocksteady anyway? Why not bring them in from the start? It would be like TMNT 2 using Tokka and Rahzar and then part 3 using Bebop and Rocksteady. We'd be happy to finally see them in a movie, but we'd be asking ourselves why they even bothered with Tokka and Rahzar to begin with.
You don't understand why they brought in Bebop/Rocksteady mid-way into Season 3, giving Rahzar/Fishface two and a half seasons full of screentime beforehand? And even when Bebop/Rocksteady were around, they still gave Shredder's other henchmen screentime? It was the best decision, because that way they gave their new characters screentime first and then brought in old ones.

Seeing Shredder with 5 mutant henchmen (plus Baxter), is a whole lot less repetitive than just sticking with the same two characters getting beaten up all the time. All the fight scenes would have been far more stale if we had to sit through Rahzar/Fishface in every single fight. As said, Rahzar and Fishface were already getting a bit stale to begin with, so it makes sense to freshen things up more.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:05 PM   #58
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

By bringing in new mutant henchmen it made six instead of two. Trying to balance screen-time is near impossible especially with extensive arcs where they are not even in play such as the Northamtpon retreat or space arcs. It also takes away the threat level of the original two. Look at Chris Bradford. The number two ranked Foot Clan member was mutated and then double mutated then pushed aside to be third in command and then is the one henchman who dies. He had so much of a threat level being a celebrity with a double life and a big time well-rounded martial artist. Yet look at what happened. Its almost like Dogpound failed so they tried again. Then he still was not good enough so they revamped him and gave him another character's name and then he failed with creative as he got less and less to do then is killed off? He had crazy potential yet look at how less and less significant he became to the point of actually dying without an easy out of him shaking it off and swimming ashore. There were two many henchmen and Nick's lack of creativity and confidence in the original duo caused it.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:14 PM   #59
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
By bringing in new mutant henchmen it made six instead of two. Trying to balance screen-time is near impossible especially with extensive arcs where they are not even in play such as the Northamtpon retreat or space arcs.
Nobody cares. It's a show that exists to sell toys. That Ciro has been able to get any kind of long-winding arcs out of anything or anybody is pretty damn impressive.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:37 PM   #60
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
He had crazy potential yet look at how less and less significant he became to the point of actually dying without an easy out of him shaking it off and swimming ashore. There were two many henchmen and Nick's lack of creativity and confidence in the original duo caused it.
What makes you think things would have been any different had Bebop/Rocksteady not been introduced? We'd just be sitting through Rahzar/Fishface getting beat over and over again (similar to Fred Wolf Bebop/Rocksteady) because of no new characters. The fight scenes would have been stale and redundant.

Having 5 mutant henchmen freshened things up. I also find it bizarre people are acting like they didn't wait an insanely long time to introduce Bebop/Rocksteady. The way you people talk you'd forget they weren't even mutated until halfway into Season 3. And then we had Season 4's 14 episode space arc, so they weren't even seen again till the end of Season 4.

Tags
nick show