The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 02-22-2017, 10:02 AM   #21
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
Ok just how different is current TMNT to live action 90s TMNT? Excluding the Michael Bay movies of course.
Why would you exclude them? There has been two movies so far and that's been a huge part of the Nick/Viacom lineup.

Quote:
The characters are the same. Themes are the same. Tone is the same. 90s live action just never went into the alien stuff.
That's not entirely wrong. The 90s live action were just the Fred Wolf TMNT brought to life minus the wacky characters.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:34 PM   #22
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Why would you exclude them? There has been two movies so far and that's been a huge part of the Nick/Viacom lineup.
Because they lean more towards the OT and seem more action oriented. (I have not seen the second)

OP wants a film/series in the style of 90s live action. The Nick cartoon is basically that already. It just has a different art style and aliens.

Quote:
That's not entirely wrong. The 90s live action were just the Fred Wolf TMNT brought to life minus the wacky characters.
Uh no. They're clearly 2 different things. They just made the movie due its popularity.

The 90s movie is grounded in reality. The Fred Wolf series is very cartoonish even without all the wacky characters. The Fred Wolf series would be the 60s Batman equivalent...not the 90s movie.
Old 02-23-2017, 08:08 AM   #23
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
It would pretty much be like now except with the look of the 90s movie. I don't really see a point.
I agree. I don't see the point either. The 1990s live action movies and the PD movies are stylistically different but the tone isn't too far off in each case. I don't see the point of doing an animated feature based off the 90s movies.

Quote:
No way! Not even the second movie was close to being a live action recreation of the FW cartoon series.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 10:34 AM   #24
Tetsu Deinonychus
The Iron Dinosaur

Quote:
Yeah, I gotta disagree with that. The plot (minus April being a reporter, which was the one FW element that really worked because there's no Baxter after all) was almost entirely from the Mirage foot clan issues. And, as for the turtles themselves, well there is the annoying surfer slang (which is pretty cringe-worthy to watch as an adult), and Mike's "wackiness" (which I'm fine with because pure-Mirage Mike is a little "flat").

But, aside from that, they're still fairly Mirage faithful. They have Raphael's rage problem (and none of his sense of humor from the cartoon), the bickering between Raph and Leo, Don is brainy, but not constantly inventing new toys and playsets er I mean "weapons" and "vehicles".

I would call the 1990 movie mostly Mirage based, but with a sprinkling of FW elements (reporter April, Wacky Mike, Pizza, "gnarly slang", colored masks) to avoid confusing the kids. And, also some whole Oliver Twist, troubled youth, "crime doesn't pay" thing that doesn't really come from either. But, I don't agree that putting a drop of FW (and another drop of Oliver Twist) into a bucket of Mirage makes a bucket of FW.
Tetsu Deinonychus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 10:51 AM   #25
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsu Deinonychus View Post
Yeah, I gotta disagree with that. The plot (minus April being a reporter, which was the one FW element that really worked because there's no Baxter after all) was almost entirely from the Mirage foot clan issues. And, as for the turtles themselves, well there is the annoying surfer slang (which is pretty cringe-worthy to watch as an adult), and Mike's "wackiness" (which I'm fine with because pure-Mirage Mike is a little "flat").

But, aside from that, they're still fairly Mirage faithful. They have Raphael's rage problem (and none of his sense of humor from the cartoon), the bickering between Raph and Leo, Don is brainy, but not constantly inventing new toys and playsets er I mean "weapons" and "vehicles".

I would call the 1990 movie mostly Mirage based, but with a sprinkling of FW elements (reporter April, Wacky Mike, Pizza, "gnarly slang", colored masks) to avoid confusing the kids. And, also some whole Oliver Twist, troubled youth, "crime doesn't pay" thing that doesn't really come from either. But, I don't agree that putting a drop of FW (and another drop of Oliver Twist) into a bucket of Mirage makes a bucket of FW.
Agreed. Good post.

I never really considered that reporter April kinda had to be, since there's no sensible way they could have fit Baxter and Mousers into that script.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 09:20 PM   #26
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
Not even the second movie was close to being a live action recreation of the FW cartoon series.
To be fair, Soto was closer to FW than OotS was.

Last edited by LeotheLateBloomer; 02-25-2017 at 11:28 PM.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 08:17 AM   #27
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
To be fair, Soto was closer to FW than OotS was.
Both don't even come close to being FW.
Old 03-02-2017, 12:27 PM   #28
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Soto was FW-influenced is what I'm saying.
Old 03-02-2017, 08:35 PM   #29
Powder
So tired of this place

SOTO nails the FW styled personalities, I think. Way more than OOTS.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 09:33 PM   #30
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

This idea could work, if handled right. Let's say we ignore the sequels, and just concentrate on continuing the story of the first film....

Imagine that the foot was actually much, much larger than what we saw in the first film; an international criminal empire, and Shredder was just taking an extended inspection visit at a youth recruitment center for the foot run by Tatsu, when the whole 'Turtle' thing went down. Basically, the turtles only took out one training facility that recruited youths to become potential foot ninja, but because Saki was in the wrong place at the wrong time, the head of the New York branch of this criminal empire died in the back of a garbage truck. The seat of Power vacant, New York now becomes the battleground for the warring foot factions, and Splinter and the turtles must live with the guilt that they are responsible of all of the innocents dying, and must decide if they will do something about it. Meanwhile, a certain foot Kunoichi jonin manages to arrive from Japan, to put the Foot Clan's house back in order...

..yeah, you know what? With how the recent movies turned out, never mind. It'd never be handled right.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 10:46 PM   #31
d_osborn
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsu Deinonychus View Post

I would call the 1990 movie mostly Mirage based, but with a sprinkling of FW elements (reporter April, Wacky Mike, Pizza, "gnarly slang", colored masks) to avoid confusing the kids. And, also some whole Oliver Twist, troubled youth, "crime doesn't pay" thing that doesn't really come from either.
That's pretty much exactly how Eastman and/or Laird described it in a few interviews while the movie was in production.

There were rumors ages ago that there was a more cartoon-inspired script prior to Golden Harvest version, but that's pretty much been debunked.
d_osborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 08:34 AM   #32
sgtfbomb
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
I agree. I don't see the point either. The 1990s live action movies and the PD movies are stylistically different but the tone isn't too far off in each case. I don't see the point of doing an animated feature based off the 90s movies.
Sometimes it seems like "if it's not Mirage, it's FW" as if those are the only two things that have ever come from the franchise.

Personally, I consider the 1990 film a staple of its own for the franchise. It's a great medium between the two. I would argue it's neither Mirage nor FW, but a touch of both.

It's also the only TMNT film to fully treat the Turtles like flesh and blood people, not just caricatures. That campfire scene is just beautiful and that scene where they arrive at April's apartment after Splinter is MIA, I'm right there with them, and you can't tell me you don't feel Raph's anger when they find their layer destroyed and Splinter gone, presumably dead. That's the only TMNT film where I've felt emotions such as those.
sgtfbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 09:20 AM   #33
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Oh yeah definitely.
Old 03-09-2017, 11:52 AM   #34
Cryomancer
Mad Scientist

Clearly we need to define the TMNT Spectrum. On one end is Mirage and the other end FW. Maybe have Bodycount and like, Turtle Xmas sticking off past them as extreme-extreme ends. I imagine most stuff would be finding itself closer to the FW end, since that seems to be what they want to channel most often.

Final Boss of translation group Opentrain.
We do videogame comics and TMNT stuff.
http://opentrain.theyear199x.org/
Cryomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 01:01 PM   #35
ToTheNines
[sic]

I would structure such a spectrum as a triangle. One point Mirage (nuanced, adult-oriented source material), one point Fred Wolf (pizza, Cowabunga, hella mutants) and one point Platinum Dunes (complete lack of understanding of franchise. Hollow and soulless).
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 04:36 PM   #36
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Eh, no more classic looking. Embrace modern era.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 09:29 AM   #37
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
Eh, no more classic looking. Embrace modern era.
So embrace PD movies, Nick and IDW?
Old 05-27-2017, 09:00 PM   #38
Hamato Yoshi
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Kitana : "You must use the element that gives life"

(that's a Mortal Kombat joke btw...too bad it was no sold , it gave *me* a chuckle though , lulz)

Last edited by Hamato Yoshi; 05-28-2017 at 06:21 AM.
Hamato Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 02:53 AM   #39
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

The original films are a mix, and that was OK.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 08:43 AM   #40
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamato Yoshi View Post
Kitana : "You must use the element that gives life"

(that's a Mortal Kombat joke btw...too bad it was no sold , it gave *me* a chuckle though , lulz)
I got the joke, no worries.