The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 08-10-2017, 01:36 PM   #21
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskater View Post
I've heard from different places that the first couple of episodes where animated by Toei.....how awesome would it have been to have a Japanese animation house doing the turtles back then though?!
Your sources are indeed correct. Season 1 was done by Toei.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 03:00 PM   #22
eskater
Foot Soldier

I honestly would've enjoyed the 87 series more if Toei had been more involved honestly. I never really enjoyed too many American animation houses during the late 80s and early 90s as a kid. To be fair I was spoiled with some anime in Mexico as a kid.
Old 08-10-2017, 03:16 PM   #23
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

I also liked how season 7s animation really reminded me of season 1s more anime-esque style.

Alot of season 2s episodes are also like this, most likely Enter the Fly whose animation looks straight out of season 1 for me.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 03:47 PM   #24
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Giant robot

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
Your sources are indeed correct. Season 1 was done by Toei.
Is that a reason for Krang enlarging his robot? Giant robots are popular in Japan, so maybe the Japanese animators asked David Wise to put that into the episode.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 03:50 PM   #25
eskater
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
I also liked how season 7s animation really reminded me of season 1s more anime-esque style.

Alot of season 2s episodes are also like this, most likely Enter the Fly whose animation looks straight out of season 1 for me.
Red Sky seasons right? I remember being a kid when those were coming out....loved those seasons (even if Shredder is mostly absent). Being born in 89 really did put a different spin on things for me.
Old 08-10-2017, 04:22 PM   #26
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Red Sky seasons right? I remember being a kid when those were coming out....loved those seasons (even if Shredder is mostly absent). Being born in 89 really did put a different spin on things for me.
I mean the season right before it, the last "Blue Sky" season which had alot more action than the seasons before it, the animation reminded me of season 1 and season 7 also featured almost every major recurring character in the series.
Old 08-10-2017, 04:26 PM   #27
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
I've heard from different places that the first couple of episodes where animated by Toei.....how awesome would it have been to have a Japanese animation house doing the turtles back then though?!
Toei was too busy animating both Dragonball/Z and Sailor Moon in the 80's and 90's, among all their other shows at the time, so TMNT would have been too much to do consistently.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 04:38 PM   #28
Ninjinister
無問題

Irma and Vernon are rats while hanging on but human when they hit the blimp. It's been like 100 years since I've seen some of these episodes, so were they demutating at that point? Or is that another error?
Old 08-10-2017, 04:41 PM   #29
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
Irma and Vernon are rats while hanging on but human when they hit the blimp. It's been like 100 years since I've seen some of these episodes, so were they demutating at that point? Or is that another error?
Strange thing this, I dont remember seeing them de-mutate. I guess the spell was broken since Splinter broke the Rat King's flute but what if he made another one and used it on Irma/Vernon again? They were never given any retro-mutagen so logically, if The Rat King used his new flute on them in season 7, they should mutate again.
Old 08-10-2017, 05:21 PM   #30
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
From Season 2-7 they were essentially trying to keep the standard of the animation the way it was during Season 7 but different animation studios went off model or did their own designs which is why there's that inconsistency. Toei in Season 1 also made a lot of animation mistakes.

A Thing About Rats from what I understand was the least smallest budget episode of the season while Hot Rodding Teenagers from Dimension X was the most expensive as it was done by the A team at Toei.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
Is that a reason for Krang enlarging his robot? Giant robots are popular in Japan, so maybe the Japanese animators asked David Wise to put that into the episode.
Nah, David Wise is probably just a fan of giant robots as he's a fan of b-movie sci-fi. He's a big fan of Godzilla so he probably put an enlarging robot in the script.
Old 08-10-2017, 10:01 PM   #31
leader in blue
Random Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
i didn't notice that sad I just rewatched it they were demutated at that point cause next scene is Vernon reporting the news while eating cheese

Quote:
Totally agree the 1st season had some beautiful animation like the missile dive scene

this scene made me either that is the world's strongest sword or the world's weakest tank

via Imgflip GIF Maker

also the scene where Leo risks his life to save the city is very beautifully done

(I know the 1st and last gifs r messy but I can't seem to find a editor that cleans larger gifs up)

Last edited by leader in blue; 08-10-2017 at 11:18 PM.
leader in blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 04:37 AM   #32
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by leader in blue View Post
this scene made me either that is the world's strongest sword or the world's weakest tank
Ironically, I did watch that episode not long ago, Shredder literally calls the tank "the most heavily armed vehicle we have". So yeah, guess they cut the armor budget for weaponry.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 05:55 AM   #33
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Ironically, I did watch that episode not long ago, Shredder literally calls the tank "the most heavily armed vehicle we have". So yeah, guess they cut the armor budget for weaponry.
You seem to have watched the entire OT and are quiet familiar/well versed with it. What motivated you to watch it all if you find it boring? (Just legitimately curious, not meaning to cause any offense)

Last edited by FredWolfLeonardo; 08-11-2017 at 06:10 AM.
Old 08-11-2017, 07:30 AM   #34
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
You seem to have watched the entire OT and are quiet familiar/well versed with it. What motivated you to watch it all if you find it boring? (Just legitimately curious, not meaning to cause any offense)
I have not watched it in it's entirety, the only seasons I know for sure that I've watched in their entirey are season 1, 8, 9 and 10, I might have have watched season 2 in it's entirety but I'm not sure. Still, going through a list and checking off episodes I know I watched it adds up to 110 episodes, which is way more than I thought I had had. So for the sake of simplicity let's say I have watched "Half or more".

As for what motivated me? Season 1 is usually where people start watching and it can be binged in around 1:40, that's about as long as an average movie, easy peasy. For the last three seasons I felt compelled to binge them just to see exactly how different they were and if they were better or worse than the previous episodes, they add up to 24 episodes which really isn't that hard to get through either, just 8 hours total, watch 2 hours per day for 4 days. I might have tried to binge season 2 but I can't remember if I gave up within season 2 or early in season 3. The rest are just recommended episodes, episodes that have a reputation for being the worst and just random episodes. I'll sometimes see Youtube's algorithm put episodes in my recommendations and I'll just click on it if just mindlessly browsing anyway, it's sort of like the internet version of fliping through channels until something catches your interest.

So, there you have it, at least 29 episodes have been intentionally sought out by me, in addition to roughly 80 more that were either recommended, caught my interest because of horrible reputation or just fell into my lap. The reason I do this isn't so much that I like it, more just that I'm not that against watching something regardless of wheter or not I think it's actually good. If you want a better reason I suppose I could just say that sometimes it's necessary to watch something bad to appreciate what's good?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 07:50 AM   #35
eskater
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
From Season 2-7 they were essentially trying to keep the standard of the animation the way it was during Season 7 but different animation studios went off model or did their own designs which is why there's that inconsistency. Toei in Season 1 also made a lot of animation mistakes.

A Thing About Rats from what I understand was the least smallest budget episode of the season while Hot Rodding Teenagers from Dimension X was the most expensive as it was done by the A team at Toei.

Nah, David Wise is probably just a fan of giant robots as he's a fan of b-movie sci-fi. He's a big fan of Godzilla so he probably put an enlarging robot in the script.
Although Toei is pretty famous for some of their anime I think they were pretty notorious for low budget animation and having mistakes, at least that's what I've heard. Didn't know Hot Rodding Tennagers from Dimension X was the most expensive episode though
Old 08-11-2017, 07:54 AM   #36
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Strange thing this, I dont remember seeing them de-mutate. I guess the spell was broken since Splinter broke the Rat King's flute but what if he made another one and used it on Irma/Vernon again? They were never given any retro-mutagen so logically, if The Rat King used his new flute on them in season 7, they should mutate again.
The mutation was probably unstable to begin with, so it probably wore off after a while. Just like when April was a catwoman.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 02:48 PM   #37
cammy85
Stone Warrior

Quote:
I watched that episode hundreds of times after finding it online long before the DVDs. My guess is they demutated offscreen. They only ever mutated after the Rat King played his flute near them. Splinter destroyed the flute in the lair actually, while Vernon was reporting the end of the mysterious menace, nervously nibbling on a piece of cheese. It's really as big a mystery as to how Donatello was still in the plane while he was off getting the blimp.
cammy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 03:43 PM   #38
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Totally agree the 1st season had some beautiful animation like the missile dive scene
Yeah this episode has some great animation.

Quote:
Although Toei is pretty famous for some of their anime I think they were pretty notorious for low budget animation and having mistakes, at least that's what I've heard. Didn't know Hot Rodding Tennagers from Dimension X was the most expensive episode though
It certainly was. Wise was in communication with the animators and he was thrilled at least one of the five episodes was being given the big budget treatment.
Old 08-23-2017, 12:55 PM   #39
leader in blue
Random Punk

just binge watched a few vids, I thought this was the cutest attempted murder ever!

gotta love Leonardo's little boy voice here saying sorry like he broke his neighbor's window instead of OMG I almost killed an innocent guy!

Also got to wonder what if that had been Shredder? Leonardo seemed all set to cut off his head
leader in blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 07:51 AM   #40
eskater
Foot Soldier

Quote:
just binge watched a few vids, I thought this was the cutest attempted murder ever!

http://i.imgur.com/CBn8by9.gif

http://i.imgur.com/o3YzI3A.gif

http://i.imgur.com/kJkIeMO.gif

gotta love Leonardo's little boy voice here saying sorry like he broke his neighbor's window instead of OMG I almost killed an innocent guy!

Also got to wonder what if that had been Shredder? Leonardo seemed all set to cut off his head
This might be why they went on a more slapstick approach in later seasons