The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 09-30-2012, 01:32 PM   #1
CyberCubed
Overlord

My one fear for this show = Mutant of the week

About the only flaw for this show I could see happening is a very repetitive, "mutant of the week" type show where the Turtles come across a new mutant they must battle every episode ala Snakeweed.

We already know about Dogpound and Fishface, but already from the previews and episode summaries they're basing whole episodes around introducing new mutants.

Episode 3 has them introducing a guy who eventually becomes that black spider blob mutant seen in the previews, and one of the following episode titles is, "Monkey Business," which very likely introduces that mutant monkey we saw Don fighting in another preview.

I really, really hope the show doesn't get stuck in a rut of just throwing new mutants at the Turtles ever week, and that's IMO my only possible fear for this show as it progresses. We already know about a number of mutant characters coming, but I hope the show finds some way to work them in that's actually done well.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:40 PM   #2
chrisdude
Foot Elite

Yeesh. I don't read episode previews, so I wouldn't have seen all that. Nor do I recognize the name's you're talking about.

Heck, maybe there are enough monsters for monster of the week...
Old 09-30-2012, 01:42 PM   #3
CyberCubed
Overlord

We know from the toys and a few of those preview clips Nick posted online about some upcoming mutants. We saw brief scenes of this black spider blob mutant facing Raph and another Monkey mutant battling Donatello.

I just hope each new episode isn't just about fighting a new mutant.
Old 09-30-2012, 01:52 PM   #4
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

I like have a number of mutants because they are some of the best character like Slash,Leatherhead, Bebop,Rocksteady, and the Punk Frogs makes a great team B if ever needed though your right in that it should be spread out. A different mutant like every 10 episodes and reoccur maybe just twice a season to keep from being over or underexposed. The right old and new characters need to be featured and not too often yet not infrequent either. Lets wait and see how this mutant of the week thing pans out. I doubt it would turn out like that.
Old 09-30-2012, 01:54 PM   #5
hudemx
Hench Mutant

Whats bad about the Mutant of the Week concept (if they really go with it)?

Many great Shows had and have the *** of the Week concept and are enjoyed around the World.
Old 09-30-2012, 01:55 PM   #6
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by hudemx View Post
Whats bad about the Mutant of the Week concept (if they really go with it)?

Many great Shows had and have the *** of the Week concept and are enjoyed around the World.
In small doses its OK, but if it happens nearly every episode its going to get beyond repetitive.

Even the original cartoon didn't use the mutant of the week formula, which is quite surprising.
Old 09-30-2012, 01:56 PM   #7
STORMSHADOW__210
Hench Mutant

Those are a valid concern for a tmnt fan ....but after seeing the 1st two episodes that the writers are putting a lot of clean crisp thoughtful creative polish on these episodes. Im not worried about it beings dumbed down for kids.I think like the other series from the past we will see new characters/villains /mutants but it will be cleverly worked in great story telling.
STORMSHADOW__210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:27 PM   #8
Oculus Orbus
Mad Scientist

I'd love to see plenty of mutants showing up on the show, but not on every episode. I don't want to feel like I'm watching the same stuff over and over again, or even worst, extended action figures commercials.
Oculus Orbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:31 PM   #9
Xav
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Even the original cartoon didn't use the mutant of the week formula, which is quite surprising.
Really? I thought that was one of the biggest complaints of the old toon.
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:41 PM   #10
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

I agree that it'll get repetitive if they use the mutant of the week formula, but we just have to wait and see. They might surprise us.

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:02 PM   #11
Foot Soldier Clang
Hench Mutant

I wouldn't mind a "mutant of the week" show for a while, but as the show progresses I expect that chain to be broken.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:08 PM   #12
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Mutant of the week type shows can be done extremely well. They may not be considered mutants, but Spectacular Spider-Man had a different villain every week up to a point. After that, they mixed things up by using same ones in different sitchy-ayshuns.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:13 PM   #13
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

If it's done well, I'm game for "freak of the week" style episodes.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:15 PM   #14
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Man, I would love a mutant-of-the-week run of episodes. Obviously, they can't all be that way. But I'd totally welcome that style of storytelling, especially in Season 1.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:19 PM   #15
TheSkeletonMan939
A New Day, A New Headache

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure View Post
Mutant of the week type shows can be done extremely well. They may not be considered mutants, but Spectacular Spider-Man had a different villain every week up to a point. After that, they mixed things up by using same ones in different sitchy-ayshuns.
Yeah, but Spider-Man was fighting different super-villains for a reason - the Big Man was funding Osborn to make them. And in some cases, one super villain led to the next (Electro -> Lizard; Vulture -> Green Goblin [to an extent])

The problem with TMNT following a mutant formula is that I'm afraid all the mutants will be "accidents", like SnakeWeed.
TheSkeletonMan939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:23 PM   #16
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSkeletonMan939 View Post
Yeah, but Spider-Man was fighting different super-villains for a reason - the Big Man was funding Osborn to make them. And in some cases, one super villain led to the next (Electro -> Lizard; Vulture -> Green Goblin [to an extent])

The problem with TMNT following a mutant formula is that I'm afraid all the mutants will be "accidents", like SnakeWeed.
Uh, OK? But we're only 2 episodes in? Stop trying to predict what will happen and just wait.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:04 PM   #17
sdp
Megan Fox = April

This is something I was a little afraid of, especially since we know the kraang will be making mutants. Now watching the OT I always wondered why they didn't do this since it seemed like a great idea but S5 of the OT proved the idea gets tired if used a lot.

It doesn't help that the mutant designs in the Nick show aren't very appealing like the old toys.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:10 PM   #18
TerranigmaFreak
Stone Warrior

I don't care as long as it's well done.

First footage of the new R rated TMNT movie.
TerranigmaFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:14 PM   #19
Kevin G
Hench Mutant

Personally I don't mind a mutant of the week. With the exception of the primary villains Shredder, Dogpound, Fishface and The Kraang I rather see a new villain then having the Turtles fight the same villain over and over and over and over and over again. One of the reasons why I loved the TMNT so much was that people got turned in really awesome looking mutants. Half of the villains in the toy line and the show: Mutagen Man, Scumbug, Muckman and Joe Eyeball, Baxter Stockman, Rocksteady and Bebop were all humans once.

By the way, not to be sarcastic but thank you for saying that the black, blob spider thing was someone who was originally a human before he or she got turned into it, I didn't know that was human at first, it could have (or at least I thought be a monster or alien the Kraang had in their HQ lmfao.
Kevin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:23 PM   #20
Ecto Jedi
Denki Wo Kitte Kudasai

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
...It didn't?
Ecto Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2k12, nick, speculation