The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

Old 02-01-2016, 05:49 AM   #81
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Eh, like I said, it's got an ok ending and a good twist with the scion, but really it's just a killathon and most of the issues spend a great deal playing "attack/retreat/attack/retreat" again and again. Peter is upstaged a lot by Doc Ock (Ock even gives Uncle Ben a motivational speech) and seems generally ineffective right up until the end, the designations for the various Earths got muddled up thanks to editorial, Ultimate Peter didn't show up, and you could have told the story in half the time.

The best stuff to come out of it was Spider-Gwen (which was initially good, but is a terrible and overrated book now), the Web Warriors ongoing the following year (a fun and lively book which legitimately handles Spider-Gwen far better), the short stories by Conway and Stern, the little dig taken at the (underrated) ASM newspaper strip, the introduction to the Spider-Man of Renew Your Vows, and the idea that the version of Mayday affected by the event was'nt the real one. Most of that wasn't even in the main story or by Slott with the exception of a couple of things.

I don't like the Ultimate Spidey cartoon all that much, but it's version of Spider-Verse was more entertaining.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 07:14 AM   #82
ZariusTwo
Overlord

There will be special "Rebirth" issues for titles in June. Bi-Weekly ongoings will launch in the same month.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/02/...issue-in-june/
Old 02-02-2016, 09:14 AM   #83
ZariusTwo
Overlord

So apparently several books will be getting cancelled, these may include Grayson (boo), Superman/Wonder Woman, Superman/Batman, Starfire and Midnighter
Old 02-02-2016, 09:15 AM   #84
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
So apparently several books will be getting cancelled, these may include Grayson (boo), Superman/Wonder Woman, Superman/Batman, Starfire and Midnighter
I would like to see Dick Grayson return to a more traditional Batman role, but the rest of those have just been pointless and fluff.

EXCEPT for Midnighter, which is one of those things that are too good and adult for most readers and don't deserve to be canceled by schmucks.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:29 AM   #85
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
I would like to see Dick Grayson return to a more traditional Batman role, but the rest of those have just been pointless and fluff.

EXCEPT for Midnighter, which is one of those things that are too good and adult for most readers and don't deserve to be canceled by schmucks.
What would you like to see in store for Dick Grayson specifically? I am curious since it is a mutual favorite of ours.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:35 AM   #86
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
What would you like to see in store for Dick Grayson specifically? I am curious since it is a mutual favorite of ours.
I really don't know; it's a sticky situation seeing how his character development culminated in taking up the mantle of the Bat before New 52. Also, every time the New 52 Nightwing series tried to take Dick in a new direction (running Haly's Circus, running Amusement Mile in Gotham City, moving to Chicago), crossover events threw a wrench in the works and nixed his personal independent development.

Ideally, I want Dick to go out on his own again as Nightwing, maybe even back to Bludhaven if it's back on the map thanks to New 52. Realistically, though, I don't know if I trust the New 52 to be able to handle the character.

Grayson as a super-spy / sleeper agent just isn't for me, although I freely admit it is well written.

And I'd normally say I want Dick back with Babs, but New 52 Hipster-Babs is the worst thing to ever happen in the New 52. EVER. Dick with Hipster-Babs would honestly feel like Dick was hanging out with a 14 year-old kid. Eew.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:37 AM   #87
Shark_Blade
Emperor

I lol'd. New 52 sucks anyway...
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 09:38 AM   #88
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
I really don't know; it's a sticky situation seeing how his character development culminated in taking up the mantle of the Bat before New 52. Also, every time the New 52 Nightwing series tried to take Dick in a new direction (running Haly's Circus, running Amusement Mile in Gotham City, moving to Chicago), crossover events threw a wrench in the works and nixed his personal independent development.

Ideally, I want Dick to go out on his own again as Nightwing, maybe even back to Bludhaven if it's back on the map thanks to New 52. Realistically, though, I don't know if I trust the New 52 to be able to handle the character.

Grayson as a super-spy / sleeper agent just isn't for me, although I freely admit it is well written.

And I'd normally say I want Dick back with Babs, but New 52 Hipster-Babs is the worst thing to ever happen in the New 52. EVER. Dick with Hipster-Babs would honestly feel like Dick was hanging out with a 14 year-old kid. Eew.
Not necessarily. Remember how Dick was written outside of his own mag in the Devine Grayson run. A total different character that is what you are referring to and yes works well paired with Barbara Gordon.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:49 AM   #89
myconius
Abby Normal

Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Superman/Wonder Woman, and Batman/Superman have mostly just been fodder to include more issues in cross-over events. not even remotely good ones.

with Grayson ending hopefully they'll be bringing back Nightwing?
Old 02-08-2016, 12:16 PM   #90
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Hey I wasn't exactly sure where else to ask this and I couldn't find out when I tried to look it up...

Can someone tell me how long the War of Light ran for? Someone told me if ran for like 8 years but that seems like a crazy stretch.
Krutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 12:23 PM   #91
myconius
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krutch View Post
Hey I wasn't exactly sure where else to ask this and I couldn't find out when I tried to look it up...

Can someone tell me how long the War of Light ran for? Someone told me if ran for like 8 years but that seems like a crazy stretch.
i could be wrong, but i thought it spanned for most all of Geoff Johns entire run on Green Lantern?
Old 02-08-2016, 12:33 PM   #92
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I meant when the Green Lantern events started infecting all the other DC books.
Old 02-08-2016, 12:51 PM   #93
myconius
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krutch View Post
Sorry, I should have been more specific. I meant when the Green Lantern events started infecting all the other DC books.
sorry, not really sure.

i tried to dabble in reading Green Lantern, but was pretty lost in all of it.

if i were more into it, i'd consider getting these back breakers, but i know i'd never get around to reading them.

http://www.amazon.com/Green-Lantern-...antern+omnibus

if only these were printed, when i first was trying to get into it!!
Old 02-08-2016, 12:53 PM   #94
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

I'm personally hoping (even though I know it won't happen) that Scott Lobdell will get nut-punched and Red Hood will be written by somebody else.
Old 02-08-2016, 02:00 PM   #95
myconius
Abby Normal

Quote:
I'm personally hoping (even though I know it won't happen) that Scott Lobdell will get nut-punched and Red Hood will be written by somebody else.
so long as they get that nut-punch in there!
Old 02-08-2016, 10:07 PM   #96
Leo656
The Franchise

War of Light was like, 2007-10-ish. Technically it started with the build-up to Sinestro Corps War in Summer 2007, and mostly ended with the end of Blackest Night in 2010. That's pretty much what is considered to make up the actual "War of Light".

Some people consider Green Lantern: Rebirth from 2004 to be the official start of the build-up, which is technically correct since Johns's entire run started there and some of those threads carried on until 2010, but I don't really count it. Some people also consider the events of "Brightest Day" to count as part of it, but I consider it separate. It's more like the aftermath to War of Light than a continuation of it.

So pretty much August 2007 through May 2010, although some plot elements started in 2004 and carried through to May 2011. Hope that helps.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:44 AM   #98
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Thanks guys, that helped!
Old 02-15-2016, 03:06 PM   #99
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Seems they're going again with what they established in Convergence, that New 52 is an evolved pre-flashpoint Earth and that elements of it are going to resurface more and more 'till they have a happy medium of sorts.
Old 02-15-2016, 03:13 PM   #100
Leo656
The Franchise

Yeah, no, that won't at all be cluttered, self-contradictory and confusing.

"New 52 is an alternate universe we were dabbling in for a while. Just wanted to shake things up and see how it took, show off some alternative takes on established characters. We know a lot of it sucked, sorry to scare you guys. We now return you to the 'Real' DCU and your regularly scheduled post-Brightest Day programming circa 2010. Try to just ignore the last 5 or 6 years as we pick up where we left off."

They'll never do that but it's the only thing they SHOULD be doing.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batman, bendis, dc comics, superman, wonder woman