The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 10-06-2017, 04:25 AM   #1
newfan
Mad Scientist

Rush hour 4?

This was probably talked about already as it goes back to 2012 apparently but Jackie Chan has said it's still going forward, Pending Chris Tucker being on board.

Anyone know much about it?
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 03:28 PM   #2
sdp
-

Jackie Chan and Chris Tucker have always said yes but nothing has come out of it for all this time, then again RH3 was similar and only happened randomly so anything is possible.

I would like to see it, counting that the Shanghai series is getting its third film maybe we will see a revival of more American Jackie Chan projects. Rush Hour is likely his most popular mainstream american film and since the TV project died after one season they might want to try a go at the film franchise again.

I love the first film and never liked the second, the third one being ok but I would need to re-watch them all. I also love that the film series is named Rush Hour and the only reference is a piece of dialog that has no baring in the plot or anything whatsoever

Rush Hour 2 was my first DVD, I remember it felt so "futuristic" to own it with its animated menus and what not.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 03:39 PM   #3
newfan
Mad Scientist

It just came up today but it sounds like it's not going to happen then. I remember liking them but don't remember them well, I'll have to re-watch them.

I remember my first DVD ....how time passes... I do not remember my first VHS

Last edited by newfan; 10-06-2017 at 03:55 PM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 03:54 PM   #4
The Deadman
Foot Elite

I dont think anything can top the first 2, to be honest.

Last Movie Watched: Hell House LLC (2015).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E29).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 08:05 PM   #5
Powder
So tired of this place

I'm a big fan of the series & would of course welcome more but here's the thing-

1. Jackie himself does not care for the films. He considers Chris a good friend, had fun, etc. but is not too proud of the material. He's even told his Asian fans not to bother watching them. He has said he'd only do it (if the script & everything made sense) for the sake of his loyal American fanbase, which is nice, but as a hardcore JC fan, I personally wouldn't wanna see him do something he's not into.

2. Jackie's a lot older now. His acting is better than ever, but the stunt work may not be as intense as before. Wouldn't bother me much, but we all know that the action is a big selling point.

3. The third one was not too great. It felt very different tonally/visually, somehow, despite having more or less the right stuff. You can't always recreate the magic.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 08:10 PM   #6
CyberCubed
Overlord

I'd love to see it, but I don't know how they can make the jokes/humor as funny at this point. After 3 movies they pretty much exhausted all the "black and Asian" jokes they possibly could, as well as French jokes in the third.

I guess they could just focus on making a fun gangster movie or whatever, but they already did focus on Asian Triads in the movie. The third had Jackie's brother as the main villain.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 08:23 PM   #7
sdp
-

Jackie has a lot of unpopular opinions and changes his mind all the time, he's like a polititian. Jackie has been old for over ten years now and has barely done any action scenes but that was true even in the early 00's which is why many of his movies featured a lot of CG, none of the Rush Hour movies ever featured a lot of martial arts, not even the first one.

The third RH IMO was better than the second one, the chemistry with Chan/Tucker is what made the films so great and I think they can make a movie that will at least be as good as the previous sequels, which are poor but had a few decent things.

I mean it's not like Jackie Chan has been doing anything worthwhile since he left Hollywood in the late 00's. He already tainted the legacy of Police Story not once but twice with those horrible reboots.
Old 10-06-2017, 08:26 PM   #8
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post

I mean it's not like Jackie Chan has been doing anything worthwhile since he left Hollywood in the late 00's. He already tainted the legacy of Police Story not once but twice with those horrible reboots.
The Police Story from the early 2000's was pretty good. The 2013 one was kinda bad or meh, but I didn't mind it too much.

Also there's still plenty of good Jackie films in the 2000's, look through his IDMB page.
Old 10-06-2017, 09:12 PM   #9
sdp
-

I'm open to recommendations for post 2010 Jackie Chan films, I've only seen a couple like Chinese Zodiac and Police Story 2013 but those were bad.

New Police Story from 2004 might not have been that bad but it was way too long which made it boring, had no humor nor anything that would make this a spiritual sequel to Police Story which is why the name of the last two Police Story reboots is baffling. Hell even that Supercop 2 Police Story spin-off feels more like a Police Story film.

Hell I remember the Jackie Chan fandom finding any Jackie chan film from the 90s and up as trash since Hollywood had "tainted" his career by then and I was the "casual/black sheep" for enjoying movies like Mr. Nice Guy, First Strike and the like. I can also enjoy the goofy ass gimmicky films Jackie Chan did in the 00's after hitting mainstream success like The Tuxedo and the Medallion, hell even Spy Next Door. Jackie explained since he couldn't do those crazy stunts anymore he preferred these type of films, but then after making a few flops he blames hollywood and goes to China to be the communist parties puppet for the sake of fame and shows us how he wants to be a "dramatic" actor now with boring ass films.

I still love the guy, he's made more awesome movies than most actors ever will and I don't take his controversial comments too seriously.
Old 10-06-2017, 09:25 PM   #10
CyberCubed
Overlord

I imagine because Asian fans who grew up with him were nostalgic for his 70's/80's movies, and just like western fans, are under the impression that, "everything new is crap, only the old stuff is good."

Granted Jackie getting older and performing less stunts and action scenes is obviously part of it, but don't say even Asians are bias when it comes to nostalgia, especially if they grew up in the 70's/80's.
Old 10-07-2017, 12:09 PM   #11
Leofan26
Mad Scientist

How old is Jackie chan? Can he still do these exciting stunts?

If anything I'd take a live action film of Jackie Chan's adventures, seasons one and two wouldn't be too hard to work as a live action film right?
Leofan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 12:10 PM   #12
CyberCubed
Overlord

He's 63. I can see him still working till he's 70. We probably have at least another 7 years worth of him left.

Then again he might be like Clint Eastwood and continue working into his 80's, lol.
Old 10-08-2017, 11:34 PM   #13
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

I’d love a fourth Rush Hour.
I’ve always enjoyed the first three. Jackie Chan and Chris Tucker together make for some very entertaining times.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote