The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

View Poll Results: Favourite Capcom franchise?
Mega Man 2 15.38%
Street Fighter 2 15.38%
Final Fight 0 0%
Darkstalkers 0 0%
Strider 0 0%
Resident Evil 3 23.08%
Devil May Cry 2 15.38%
Monster Hunter 0 0%
Power Stone 1 7.69%
Viewtiful Joe 0 0%
Marvel vs. Capcom 2 15.38%
Ace Attorney 1 7.69%
Ghosts 'n' Goblins 0 0%
Capcom vs. SNK 0 0%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-10-2018, 08:26 PM   #1
Prowler
Emperor

Favourite Capcom franchise?

Capcom is a classic video game company.

Its best days were mostly in the 80s/90s. A lot of classics came out at the time and they were the best days of Mega Man and Street Fighter.

So, what's your favourite Capcom franchise?

I'm undecided between Street Fighter and Mega Man. Ace Attorney is fun too and Final Fight was a pretty fun bat 'em up back in the day.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 09:24 PM   #2
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Bionic Commando had a ton of promise... but they didn't really do anything with it.

Capcom is a pretty terrible, short-sighted company.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 09:25 PM   #3
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Bionic Commando had a ton of promise... but they didn't really do anything with it.

Capcom is a pretty terrible, short-sighted company.
That's what annoys me about them. They've made some great games, especially back in the 8bit and 16bit eras, yet seem to be ran by monkeys.
Old 06-10-2018, 09:43 PM   #4
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Wow, sometimes you forget how many classic franchises they've created and yet have either let die or ruined them forever. Looking at that list there are so many.

I voted Ace Attorney since it's a fun series, but Street Fighter or Mega Man would have likely been my answers had capcom not made me jaded the past decades. Street Fighter refuses to evolve and Mega Man hasn't been able to adapt to new generations. I still love SF & MM though.

A franchise I loved but now I care nothing about is Resident Evil, they just went too crazy with it over the last 15 years. A franchise i'd love to see come back is Dino Crisis, it had tons of potential but it's been dormant after the awful idea of DC3.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 09:48 PM   #5
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

I'm not much of a fan of Capcom franchises myself, but I absolutely love Marvel vs Capcom games for the crossover element/game mechanics.

Favourite one is Clash of the Superheroes.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 09:53 PM   #6
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Wow, sometimes you forget how many classic franchises they've created and yet have either let die or ruined them forever. Looking at that list there are so many.

I voted Ace Attorney since it's a fun series, but Street Fighter or Mega Man would have likely been my answers had capcom not made me jaded the past decades. Street Fighter refuses to evolve and Mega Man hasn't been able to adapt to new generations. I still love SF & MM though.

A franchise I loved but now I care nothing about is Resident Evil, they just went too crazy with it over the last 15 years. A franchise i'd love to see come back is Dino Crisis, it had tons of potential but it's been dormant after the awful idea of DC3.
Mega Man is to Capcom what CastleVania is to Konami in the sense that both franchises have been milked to death by both companies. I don't even know how many MM and CV games there are out there, nor will I ever play those.

I've only played the classic Mega Man games, so I have no clue what MM games that came out after MM8 are like.

Street Fighter refuses to evolve in what sense, btw?

Another company that seems to let its franchises die is Sega. Virtua Fighter is pretty much dead as is Fighting Vipers. Not even sure if Daytona USA and Sega Rally still exist either.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:12 PM   #7
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Mega Man evolved as MM X in the SNES era, Legends in the PS1, Battle Network in the GBA era but after that Capcom didn't seem to know how to make new ways to play Mega Man and has struggled keeping the already on going series. Mega Man games are hit or miss, there are tons of games so quality is all over the place. I'm mostly a fan of the first few eras of games.

Street Fighter refuses to evolve since IV (and continues in V), it's just a rehash of II in terms of characters and it taking place before III since III changed the whole story up. The story is now a convoluted mess because of it, and we only get a few new characters per generation and a ton of returning ones. What I liked about Alpha and III is they introduced more new characters than old ones. but now it's all nostalgia pandering. I still like SF but I wish VI actually takes place after III and evolves the storyline/we get a mostly new cast.

SEGA is definitely another really bad offender of not using their franchises.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 10:18 PM   #8
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Mega Man evolved as MM X in the SNES era, Legends in the PS1, Battle Network in the GBA era but after that Capcom didn't seem to know how to make new ways to play Mega Man and has struggled keeping the already on going series. Mega Man games are hit or miss, there are tons of games so quality is all over the place. I'm mostly a fan of the first few eras of games.

Street Fighter refuses to evolve since IV (and continues in V), it's just a rehash of II in terms of characters and it taking place before III since III changed the whole story up. The story is now a convoluted mess because of it, and we only get a few new characters per generation and a ton of returning ones. What I liked about Alpha and III is they introduced more new characters than old ones. but now it's all nostalgia pandering. I still like SF but I wish VI actually takes place after III and evolves the storyline/we get a mostly new cast.

SEGA is definitely another really bad offender of not using their franchises.
The last time Capcom did that with SF was with Street Fighter III... and that game wasn't exactly a commercial hit. It's no wonder they brought Chun-Li back in 3rd Strike in order to help give the game more interest.

Story? Most people don't play SF for the story but for the actual gameplay. As great as 3S is, it would have been even better if it had more familiar characters, imo.

I could do without characters such as T. Hawk, Dee jay, Balrog and Zangief, though. I don't like playing as them. But I don't like the idea of a SF game without Chun-Li or Cammy, for example. Or M. Bison. Then again, Chun-Li and Cammy are two of my favourite characters in the series, so ofc I'd miss them.
Old 06-10-2018, 11:01 PM   #9
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Glad to see Capcom used Viewtiful Joe in a number of their Vs. fighters. But PowerStone needs way more love from that company. I had some good times with those Dreamcast games.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 12:36 AM   #10
Turo602
The King of Kings

I'd like to say Resident Evil. It's been an all time favorite franchise of mine, but they've burned me too many times with it.
Old 06-11-2018, 01:39 AM   #11
AT-Man
I SEEN IT

I love the early RE games too much. Otherwise it would have been Mega Man.

Through the Golden Door
AT-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 02:18 AM   #12
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Capcom was a leader of the fighting genre with Street Fighter 2. So strange that 30 years later they're still regurgitating the same game over and over again on the same 2D playing field, only improvements being just more moves, more combos, and 3D camera stuff... stuff Street Fighter Ex already had (albeit, more crudely) 20 years ago. Oh, and a lot of skins you can purchase with real money. Awful. Any sort of true innovation they could have introduced has always been blocked by their devotion to their nostalgic base.

And so many great games with franchise potential eons ago. Never realized. Nope, the latest Street Fighter game needs another 5 versions instead.

Capcom is the worst.
Old 06-11-2018, 07:41 AM   #13
Powder
So tired of this place

Megaman is the only one I care about, so it's an easy vote.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 02:26 PM   #14
DarkFell
A Crusty Bob Fan

I know that the title only got two games made, but I liked Okami. [Okamiden was the sequel game.]

I think that I would like to play the Mega Man X series someday.
DarkFell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 04:03 PM   #15
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFell View Post
I know that the title only got two games made, but I liked Okami. [Okamiden was the sequel game.]

I think that I would like to play the Mega Man X series someday.
I got MMX3 recently. Good game.

X2 is good too.

X1 is still my favourite of the X SNES games. haven't played X4 or any of the following games and can't say I'm very interested.
Old 06-14-2018, 05:24 PM   #16
turtle1237
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
The last time Capcom did that with SF was with Street Fighter III... and that game wasn't exactly a commercial hit. It's no wonder they brought Chun-Li back in 3rd Strike in order to help give the game more interest.

Story? Most people don't play SF for the story but for the actual gameplay. As great as 3S is, it would have been even better if it had more familiar characters, imo.

I could do without characters such as T. Hawk, Dee jay, Balrog and Zangief, though. I don't like playing as them. But I don't like the idea of a SF game without Chun-Li or Cammy, for example. Or M. Bison. Then again, Chun-Li and Cammy are two of my favourite characters in the series, so ofc I'd miss them.

Even when they brought back Chun Li, I don't think it was enough. I loved Cammy, She is my all time favorite. Yes thong and all. For me, the SF3 era were dark times, they brought back Chun Li, but not the great Cammy?

Capcom learn its mistake and in the Alpha series, they made Cammy some what of a focus. Even being a hidden fighter in I think Alpha 2? Than when they made SF4, Cammy came back because Cammy won the fan voted contest on who they want in the first edition of SF. No votes for SFV. Cammy was there, and I think she looks the best in SFV. It really puts the SF4 look to shame.

I hardly played SFIII because of no Cammy. Outside of SF1, I follow the rule, Capcom does not get my money unless they put Cammy in. I only got the SFIII series as of late because the pack had all the classic games with Cammy. Trust me, if it was just SFIII, I am not buying.
turtle1237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 05:42 PM   #17
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I don't see why they don't just put everyone in everything, plus new characters.
Old 06-14-2018, 05:44 PM   #18
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

If I have to choose, I suppose Devil May Cry would be my top choice since I own all the current games to date. Honorable mention goes out to Okami, Mega Man, and Marvel vs. Capcom.

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 06:17 PM   #19
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle1237 View Post
Even when they brought back Chun Li, I don't think it was enough. I loved Cammy, She is my all time favorite. Yes thong and all. For me, the SF3 era were dark times, they brought back Chun Li, but not the great Cammy?

Capcom learn its mistake and in the Alpha series, they made Cammy some what of a focus. Even being a hidden fighter in I think Alpha 2? Than when they made SF4, Cammy came back because Cammy won the fan voted contest on who they want in the first edition of SF. No votes for SFV. Cammy was there, and I think she looks the best in SFV. It really puts the SF4 look to shame.

I hardly played SFIII because of no Cammy. Outside of SF1, I follow the rule, Capcom does not get my money unless they put Cammy in. I only got the SFIII series as of late because the pack had all the classic games with Cammy. Trust me, if it was just SFIII, I am not buying.
I like Cammy, so yeah it's a pity she wasn't in SFIII, but oh well.

I mained Cammy a lot in Ultra 4, but she had been nerfed a lot from Super SF4 and Arcade Edition.

Cammy was at its best in the Capcom vs. SNK games, tbh. She is pretty strong in Capcom vs. SNK 2. Haven't played enough of Marvel vs. Capcom games to know how good she's in those.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:25 PM   #20
CyberCubed
Overlord

Resident Evil, then Megaman.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote